SgtMurphy
+11|6548
I was asked to write a review for this title a year ago just after release.  After having failed patch attempts
for 30 minutes, crashes to desktop, unlocks not available, restart after restart, I gave this review to a
collegue and never looked back.   I have tried playing this game a few times since then, and it is fun
once you get inside a game, however, the bugs in this game are enormous.  The code is the worst I have
seen in 15 years in a major game title. Yes, the worst, and thats saying A LOT. 

I have reviewed 180+ titles over the past 7 or 8 years, and aside from actual fighting gameplay, this
game gets 2 out of 10's on every other category.

Its truly sad that EA abandonded what could have been a great game long ago.  With their usual 'control-
all' account and server rules, which they fail to do just about anything to make the game fairer, user friendly,
or cheat proof, the whole experience has been a huge failure.

DICE really needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves if they're happy with the product
they created.  If they are, then look out, it will only get worse and more expensive.  If they arent, then
perhaps its time for them to actually work on GOOD code, rather than expansion packs and newer
versions, i.e. 2142. 

In my opinion, this game engine is the worst on record in 2 years, and in the top 10 over the past 5 years.

The saddest fact of all, is that a large mass of players (customers, mind you) have simply accepted the
bugs, non-support, etc. therefore creating a status quo for this game in the minds of EA and DICE. 
I guess if youre fed slop every day for a year, you learn to accept it. Sad.

Im not looking forward to reviewing 2142, I can tell you that.  I guess I need to go and clean some hard
drive space for the massive amount of bug lists Im going to encounter.

oh, and btw, I work for a major publisher, whom I shall not mention publicly here, however, I will say
that the reviews this time are not all going to be pretty in pink and fluffed up like they were this time last
year.
Sandskink
+19|6634|In your moms BUSHland
If you can in your review; tell EA and Dice to shove this piece of shit game up their ass sideways.
seraphite86
+1|6480|Florida

SgtMurphy wrote:

The code is the worst I have seen in 15 years in a major game title. Yes, the worst, and thats saying A LOT.
I know nothing of computer game coding and all that mumbo jumbo. But I agree, everyone figured out that the Battlefield 2 engine lacks a decent amount of design. Great graphics and physics but it seems they don't know how to change this and that without messing something up. It's like they have new group of people working on the project per release of a new patch.
devilhammer
+16|6602|San Marcos, Texas

Sandskink wrote:

If you can in your review; tell EA and Dice to shove this piece of shit game up their ass sideways.
i second that
Evil_Snowman40
+0|6633
I third that motion. No lube for them either.
PRiMACORD
+190|6632|Home of the Escalade Herds
Well said dude. Greed has destroyed what could have been a great game.
SgtMurphy
+11|6548
Rumor had it back then, and no I cannot confirm, that the programming team at DICE took a vacation
the week of release last year.  Who does that ?   Noone I know.

As far as my contacts go, I can say this much;  many people I have spoken with already know about
EA's lack of customer support, EA's lack of care about its products.  What was uncertain was how DICE
would either make things better or worse.  I think we know the answer now.

There is bet going around my offices of what the percentage drop in 2142 purchases compared to BF2
purchases will be.   My guess is 30% less minimum.  Of course, this means nothing to EA or DICE, they'll
take what they get.
Sandskink

SgtMurphy wrote:

Rumor had it back then, and no I cannot confirm, that the programming team at DICE took a vacation
the week of release last year.  Who does that ?   Noone I know.

As far as my contacts go, I can say this much;  many people I have spoken with already know about
EA's lack of customer support, EA's lack of care about its products.  What was uncertain was how DICE
would either make things better or worse.  I think we know the answer now.

There is bet going around my offices of what the percentage drop in 2142 purchases compared to BF2
purchases will be.   My guess is 30% less minimum.  Of course, this means nothing to EA or DICE, they'll
take what they get.
2142 will be a flop.  same engine same problems.  Not going to buy it.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6498|Menlo Park, CA
You know what, I WAS going to pick up 2142, but after 1.3 and 1.4 it clearly shows that the devs (DICE) dont give a fuck about us (the most important people!! THE CUSTOMER)! This game(bf2) was rushed from day ONE!!! The expansion was rushed (less than 6 months before release).  Everything about this game thus far has been a struggle!!

They get one thing fixed, something else becomes a problem! There has been no rigorous testing on their part to finalize this game whatsoever! Its truely unreal that we ALL have taken it on the chin with this game!

I have played this game for a long time, and I either love it or hate it! The lack of consistency is unacceptable, and as a customer who wants customer service, I am shit outta luck!!!

NO ONE should buy 2142! NO ONE!! To blindly go buy another product of DICE/EA with no REAL closure to BF2, is a mistake! I know that I will NOT be taking another 90 bucks on the chin (BF2 game/expansion/boosters etc) and hundreds in hardware upgrades to play this games faulty engine! Its a flawed game, and a flawed engine, and I wont put up with mediocrity from a multibillion dollar company who doesnt care!
shadowcell_01
How 'bout dem Cowboys?
+45|6552|Flower Mound, TX

Sandskink wrote:

why sideways?
Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6555|USA bitches!
You guys want some cheese with that whine? Go get a fucking life, or move onto another game, if you hate it so badly. I fucking love this game. I almost never experience ANY CTDs, lost connections or anything that keeps me from enjoying this game 100%. I spend most of my time in the Cobra now, and yeah I get misfires and sometimes the tv won't reload, but I deal with it and blow the bastard out of the sky the next time.

You really need to evaluate your life if all the joy you get is coming on here bitching about how EA ruined everything. You fucking faggots, EA ISN'T THE ONE PATCHING THE FUCKING GAME. Their name is only on it because they paid to make the cd/dvds and ship the shit and promote the game. Fuck! Firebomb DICE if you're so mad. And no, I hate EA too after playing their baseball games for like 5 years straight. Each new version sucks worse and is a bugfest as well. You know what I did? I stopped playing the fucking thing.

Now go fuck off, please, we're all tired of your crying.

Last edited by Jenkinsbball (2006-09-06 10:02:30)

twz_stryker
+4|6509|San Antonio, TX
Wow, that is a lot of crying there, started your own river actually. I have to agree with Jenkinsbball that if you are so unhappy why do you keep playing the game? My experience as server host provider and network engineer has never been flawed except for patch 1.3. That patch did cause me some groaning and cursing at the screen but the problems where rare for me. Before that famous patch I never encountered any problems with BF2 or Special Forces. I always got online and played a few hours.

This was a new system and game play style thats never before been seen, so taking that in mind, I have to say it was a good game. I read almost every gamer mag I can get my hands on, almost all of them gave it a perfect score, so either they enjoyed the game or DICE/EA paid them. I hope its not the latter, which I don't think it is, because the would ruin my image of the mags I read.

Honestly I have noticed friends who have issues with BF2 are running low end gaming rigs, hosed up instances of windows, now theres a bad "engine" for you, or low speed internet services such as DSL. As an internet provider to Texas DSL is the worst you could get for gaming.

Good Gaming
Stryker
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6515|Bournemouth, South England
Shame they couldn't use something like the HL2 engine, that was quite sexual on my old pc, which was gay...

Last edited by Penetrator_01 (2006-09-06 07:31:28)

Reaper2325
+2|6730|New Hartford, New York
The only reason I bought BF2 the day of the release was because I liked the Demo and I had BF1942/BF1942 Expansion packs, and BF:V. I wanted to keep with the series and thought the use of modern weapons would be cool.

Now, I think I'll wait 1-2 years after 2142 comes out before I buy it because I don't trust EA/DICE anymore than my local used car salesman. I would compare BF:2 to SW:BattleFront, which felt like we were Beta Testing the released copies. Hell Luca Arts had a patch for the game the day of the game's release.

I'll keep playing BF2 because I own it plus the ex-packs, but I hope that 2142 gets crappy reviews and lost sales to try to convince EA/DICE to start making games they way they used to.

Last edited by Reaper2325 (2006-09-06 08:59:38)

FlameOn
+7|6539
and yet thousands of satisfied customers continue play this game without any major complaints... fuck, they must be just plain stupid to continue playing such an obviously fucked up game.

original poster
"oh, and btw, I work for a major publisher, whom I shall not mention publicly here, however, I will say
that the reviews this time are not all going to be pretty in pink and fluffed up like they were this time last
year."

whatever, i am the presidents illegitmate daughter and i have all the inside scoop on the UFO's we found in 1950, and i also tell the pope what to wear...all easy to claim to be someone we are not and be an "expert" in anything, online.

as for the major gaming mags giving out piss poor reviews on a massive corporations new game, i wonder how long that magazine will carry ads from these corps?  what keeps a major publisher afloat in todays media market?  i betcha it comes from the shiny ads placed in their magazines!  only the truly undeground mags have any success of being taken seriously, they are not dependant on ads and are not scared of givnig a truly realistic opinion of whatever they are reviewing.

whatever, i must be stupid and illiterate because i still like BF2 and will be buying 2142 when it comes out, and other expansion packs and so on.  i am sure i will get neg karma and massive flames as a result of this post...whatever, who gives a shit, its called free speech and i can post whatever i want...

and what does neg karma do anyway??
SPQR
+3|6566|US Fricken A
i guess i might be in the minority here ... but i come from the land of nova logic and their flawed game engines over and over... for all that is lacking in bf2 i find it a vast improvement over nova.

i am not the computer haxor that many of you folks might be... but I still find vast enjoyment in the game and love the fact that there is a community that demands this type of perfection.

anyway - i know i might the lone wolf here... but just my humble opinion.
SgtMurphy
+11|6548

twz_stryker wrote:

Wow, that is a lot of crying there, started your own river actually. I have to agree with Jenkinsbball that if you are so unhappy why do you keep playing the game? My experience as server host provider and network engineer has never been flawed except for patch 1.3. That patch did cause me some groaning and cursing at the screen but the problems where rare for me. Before that famous patch I never encountered any problems with BF2 or Special Forces. I always got online and played a few hours.

This was a new system and game play style thats never before been seen, so taking that in mind, I have to say it was a good game. I read almost every gamer mag I can get my hands on, almost all of them gave it a perfect score, so either they enjoyed the game or DICE/EA paid them. I hope its not the latter, which I don't think it is, because the would ruin my image of the mags I read.

Honestly I have noticed friends who have issues with BF2 are running low end gaming rigs, hosed up instances of windows, now theres a bad "engine" for you, or low speed internet services such as DSL. As an internet provider to Texas DSL is the worst you could get for gaming.

Good Gaming
Stryker
Ineteresting you should bring up system specs, because here is why EA is currently getting sued.
In their initial packaging (We even have one of these early copies), they listed system requirements
as being every day 'average'  hardware, however, later (approximately 2-3 months), they stopped
listing several of the hardware (mainly dealing with video cards, here....) on the box. 

Regarding your server 'adminship' experience with this title.  Sorry, but it means zilch in my book.
Does EA pay for 'GOOD REVIEWS'  uhh, no, but remember, they are a very large company and do
have advertisement deals with all the major resources, print, online and etc. So, lets just say they
get much better reviews than they should for that fact alone.

This game is, was, will NEVER be anything close to a 'perfect score'.  If you actually believe it should
be, then perhaps you should get your head checked, because I know there are at least 15,000 complaints
about this product, AND its one of the highest return to seller for refund games in recent history.

Buy 2142, or dont buy it, I could care less.  I get paid to review and write about it. All I was saying is that
over a year ago this game was unacceptable, and still 14-15 months its the same.   Lets be honest here,
A patch released 14 months later that is 100+MB ??  WOW.
SgtMurphy
+11|6548

FlameOn wrote:

and what does neg karma do anyway??
it makes you feel all tingly and special inside.... similar to the feeling 'punkbuster' is supposed to do.. 

oh, btw, this game has been returned for refund more than any on record.

Last edited by SgtMurphy (2006-09-06 14:49:29)

DaReJa
BF2s US Server Admin
+257|6634|Los Angeles, California, US.
If you guys hate BF2 so much, Stop playing it and GTFO the Forums.
Battlelog: DaReJa
MyBFi/BF3i Admin

AKA DanielRJ
GameSurge IRC Network, Support Agent and Staff
Phuzion IRC Network, Support Director and Operator
SgtMurphy
+11|6548

Jenkinsbball wrote:

You guys want some cheese with that whine? Go get a fucking life, or move onto another game, if you hate it so badly. I fucking love this game. I almost never experience ANY CTDs, lost connections or anything that keeps me from enjoying this game 100%. I spend most of my time in the Cobra now, and yeah I get misfires and sometimes the tv won't reload, but I deal with it and blow the bastard out of the sky the next time.

You really need to evaluate your life if all the joy you get is coming on here bitching about how EA ruined everything. You fucking faggots, EA ISN'T THE ONE PATCHING THE FUCKING GAME. Their name is only on it because they paid to make the cd/dvds and ship the shit and promote the game. Fuck! Firebomb DICE if you're so mad. And no, I hate EA too after playing their baseball games for like 5 years straight. Each new version sucks worse and is a bugfest as well. You know what I did? I stopped playing the fucking thing.

This is a complaint thread.   Tell me, anger issues? Tourette's ? 

Word of advice, when you get into high school, DO NOT join the debate team..
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6487|Somewhere else

the patch is 100+MB because it does add some new features.....

But really, show me a game that doesnt have design flaws, and Ill show you "pong"...... thats about all ill show you too......
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6758|Chicago.

Jenkinsbball wrote:

That's not necessary here. It's the complain section dude.

Last edited by BigmacK (2006-09-06 14:59:12)

SgtMurphy
+11|6548

RoosterCantrell wrote:

the patch is 100+MB because it does add some new features.....

But really, show me a game that doesnt have design flaws, and Ill show you "pong"...... thats about all ill show you too......
hmm, I seriously doubt that a patch at this stage, even including a new map, and 'new features'
would normally require 100 megs.  Without question, each patch so far has included massive
rewrites of code, not simple bug fixes you would normally get.
Sandskink
For all you fanboys........

This is a BF2 Complaint thread.  If you are soooo happy with this game then why are you even on this thread? 

What is funny that the posts in the COMPLAINT thread outnumber the PRAISE thread 9:1.  Could we all be wrong in having problems with this game?  Each complaint is an isolated incident I guess.  If you can live with mediocrity then good for you.  It shows that you will expect no better in other things.

Matter of fact I haven't even used $90 worth of bitching yet.  For those of you who say you never experienced one fucking problem, then you are flat out lying.  Think hard or is it that you want to believe this game is good.  I am not looking for perfection here but i would expect a decent working product.  So more power to you Sgt. Murphy, write your reviews and don't let us down.  Let me know where I can read this article after you are finished.  PM me if you can.  I know posting the magazine here will only enrage the fanboys and all the pages will be ripped out by the BF2 Fanboy Crusade.  Now Jenkinsball you go fuck off now and let us bitch in peace!  Now go shit your BF2 Underoos.
shyuechou
+5|6646|Singapore

twz_stryker wrote:

Stryker
This looks to be the case. I suspect this as well. Low end or unsuitable rigs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard