_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Anybody switched over yet?  I'm still waiting a bit more since the only thing really compelling me to switch is the more enhanced version of DirectStorage that W11 has over W10, and there still aren't any games out that support it yet.  Linus from LTT says that the Auto HDR feature makes it a must-have if you have an HDR monitor.  Other than that, it doesn't really seem too much different from Windows 10 as far as I can tell.  I also do kind of like that it has configurable separate hotswappable desktop environments for Casual/Work/Gaming/Whatever that helps if you're a big fan of compartmentalization in your life.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I literally can't. I don't have the hardware for it. Will install on next PC build, which I want to do this year. That elephant's been in the room for over 3 years now and is sprouting cobwebs. Bonus, the parts are pretty cheap right now and I don't need a new video card.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Yeah, I am a little annoyed that I can't install it on my ThinkPad T530 without jumping through some hoops to trick it into installing and then still being screwed out of Windows updates even after the fact.  Microsoft seems deadset on this TPM 2.0/8th gen Intel or later requirement at this point though.

Graphics cards are starting to come down now finally.  I was looking at RTX 2060s on Amazon yesterday and they're down to $450ish now, which is right about where they were shortly after all the panic buying shit first started a couple years ago.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I would like to know the numbers on whatever sly little hardware surveys they've done to determine that people would be able to install Windows 11 with this requirement. What timing too, the economic ills of the pandemic. "Oops, you need to buy a new computer! Don't dawdle, now! I know we said Windows 10 was forever … but not really."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

_j5689_ wrote:

Yeah, I am a little annoyed that I can't install it on my ThinkPad T530 without jumping through some hoops to trick it into installing and then still being screwed out of Windows updates even after the fact.  Microsoft seems deadset on this TPM 2.0/8th gen Intel or later requirement at this point though.

Graphics cards are starting to come down now finally.  I was looking at RTX 2060s on Amazon yesterday and they're down to $450ish now, which is right about where they were shortly after all the panic buying shit first started a couple years ago.
Just get a 3080. It is more than twice as powerful as the 2060 and finally under $1000.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

3080 is old. I wouldn't even put $1k on it. Following past patterns of obsolete video cards, it probably won't get much cheaper than that (bUy 1 nOw AnD SLI LaTeR! pff). 40x0 out later this year.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I was just looking at 2060s for my low-priority ITX build that I made with my old 4770K.  That build is meant to be a low-cost, dedicated 1080p TV gaming "console" + a nice relatively small/mobile roomscale VR box for setting up in the living room, my old 1070 is in there now(probably should've sold it and waited for normal prices on newer lower end cards), but the 2060 is the card I was eyeing before everything went crazy.  It's not a huge priority at all though, I'd wait for 2060s to come back down to MSRP or something close to it before I ever thought about pulling the trigger, or more likely just wait for the next-gen lower end card that goes for $250-$300 if that's even still possible.

My main upgrade consideration for the last two years has been my main rig's GPU, currently a 2070 non-Super paired up to an i9-9900K, and I was looking at getting a 3070(preferably a Strix) before the Great Scalpocalypse.  I was hoping to get one off of Amazon, because I've saved up $350 so far in rewards over the last few years specifically to put towards a new GPU, and I also always try never to spend more than $500 on a GPU.  The 3080s there are hovering around the $1,000 mark right now, but the 3070s are well within my range after applying the rewards and there are even some 3070 Tis that would be as well.  Like Newbie said, I think I might ultimately just wait and get a 4-series, since it looks to be right around the corner(I'm guessing July-August like nVidia usually does it).  It can only help with the pricing on the 3000-series too assuming that shit doesn't go crazy like last time.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

1070 is fine for an old multimedia PC. I still see ebay'd 1080s in builds to this day. I was lucky to get my 2070S before the crazy prices.

One of my friends got the new Steam VR, I think it was, plays Alyx. 12700K with 32GB I believe, and either his old 1080 or something from the 20x0 lineup (I'll have to ask again). Says performance could be better in some titles, so a 1070 might be a little rough unless you just want to play beat saber or something.

I think it was Sep we were supposed to expect the 40x0, plus however long for various third party versions. I don't really plan to upgrade video this year even on a new PC, unless they are available near old style MSRP.

e: he has a 1080, non-Ti

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-27 16:00:32)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Luckily I only have a Rift S, so I have the benefit of not needing to drive a higher resolution(2880 x 1600 vs 2560 x 1440), nor higher framerates(144hz vs 80hz) like what the Valve Index is capable of.  Even still, I've also considered maybe just getting some of those fiberoptic DisplayPort and USB extension cables for really long runs, and just wiring the headset out to the living room from my main PC on the occasion that I want to play something in VR.  I'll have to do some more research into whether or not the fiberoptic conversion circuitry in those cables adds enough latency to become a problem for VR.  Right now I haven't touched the Rift S in years because it expects you to use roomscale every time, and if it doesn't recognize the room you're in because your chair isn't in the exact same place or because you moved some shit on your floor, then it makes you set up Guardian(the boundary system) again, and I can't be bothered to do that every time I want to play a VR game in my messy room.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think I'm of the mind that I want good res and smooth frames on my first real VR sojourn since 90s Descent with the goggles. A ways away for me anyway, I need space.

Your card should be fine for that rift.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-27 16:04:16)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Yeah, I can't say I blame you for wanting to go all-out for your VR headset.  My first VR headset was the original Rift CV1, I had one of the first pre-orders for it and I considered it to be a more premium product compared to the HTC Vive that was directly competing against it, even before the Touch controllers were released.  Unfortunately since then, Palmer Luckey got caught funding politically conservative causes and was ousted by the company for the PR shitstorm it caused, and so was no longer in the driver seat for product development, plus Facebook went full Facebook soon after they acquired Oculus by cheapening the product over multiple generations and forcing you to have a regularly used Facebook page that's in good standing in order to maintain access to the Rift hardware & games that you already paid for.  So I'll probably jump ship for whatever the next iteration of the Index is if I can afford it.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2022-04-27 18:49:32)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That's pretty gross, and something I wasn't aware of. Definitely steering clear. Shouldn't even be legal, but here we are.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I'm going to be annoyed if windows starts bugging me to install win 11.
Win 10 was supposed to solve all the terrible problems all the previous win versions had, now win 10 has such terrible problems it needs to be replaced not just superseded?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Has anybody with an ounce of experience with Microsoft promises expected them to actually upkeep Windows 10 forever? Perfect opportunity though to make fun of the company.

Windows 10 in current form is fine. Improvement over 8 I think, more secure currently than 7 and def XP.

I am satisfied with the model of moving from one version to the next. I want to buy an OEM copy for $20 and use it for 5-8 years. I don't want to pay for subscriber Windows.

Windows Update reminds me every time the app opens that my compute cannot run Windows 11. Yes, I know #*& off already.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I have Win11.

Truly my only gripes are that you can't customize the start menu, you can only pin your most-used apps/programs to the pinned page (you can't even sort them). And that you can't right-click the taskbar and get to any quick settings - particularly the task manager. Back to Ctrl + Alt + Del for that.

Other than that, it's basically just win10 with a new skin. And since I don't bother customizing much about my OS installs (I'll have to rebuild my desktop eventually anyway or there'll just be another iteration of windows out every few years), it doesn't look much different.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Did they at least add something like a task manager to the ctrl alt del screen? Would be nice not having to go back into regular actual task manager. That process so often hung by hung processes that hang much of your computer's functionality.

Even just some available button-clicks. End all suspended/non-essential except those "applications with unsaved work" (cough, Blender)/"designated protected" (my browser with like 30 open tabs is rarely a crashed program, rather not risk losing those occasionally if it could be helped). And an "end anyway" for the previous if that didn't solve the problem.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Task Manager, once inside, is still the exact same as it's been since the new version in Win10.

I agree, they could bulk it up a bit to create some customization but it's fine. Just getting to it is now back to pressing 3 buttons on the keyboard instead of 1 right-click and 1 left-click. Maybe there's a 3rd party program out there for an advanced task manager?

That process so often hung by hung processes that hang much of your computer's functionality
wut
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Fun with words. Task manager is sometimes unresponsive when another process hangs, or you can't alt tab to it (or anything else) from a crashed full screen app. Thus, having one built into the ctrl alt del screen would be amazing.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-28 16:22:45)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
That is a pretty awesome idea, and that's exactly why it will never happen in Windows.  Maybe we'll start getting advertisement banners soon when we Ctrl+Alt+Del though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If that happens, Apple should buy ad space there.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Surprised MS hasn't sold space on the BSOD TBH
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

They'd probably just call it being helpful.

Computer repair services in your area!

Buy a new Windows 11 laptop!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Despite how annoying Windows has been since 7, they tend to BSoD a lot less these days. That could also be a result of unrelated advances in hardware reliability. Everything has gotten more sturdy and less fragile than I remember it being.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Since?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You're not wrong about the hardware in some cases. Better PSUs by far. Our days of worrying about the CPU's pins bending or snapping off are over. Plug and play has reached the point where we take it for granted. I get annoyed if a piece of hardware I plug in isn't immediately recognized and activated. Years back, I had to mess about with IRQs and COMs and whatever. I remember having a separate autoexec/config to boot with just to run DOS Doom.

Manufacturing processes for mid grade hardware have definitely improved. I don't see nearly as much stuff like sloppy soldering work and bendy rows of cheap capacitors as I used to.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-05-06 14:26:24)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard