Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

"Educated black people think MLK is a sellout because they have Malcom X's autobiography on their bookshelf" is in the running for the dumbest statement of the week.
Is it? I don't think so ken. His views are extremist and they lead to hatred and distrust. They teach black people that white people are the enemy and will never be their friend. I know you love it, because it dovetails nicely with your hatred of anyone that owns more homes than you do, but it is hatred and polarizing nonetheless.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-28 10:08:51)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

The rioters mostly end up destroying property of in this case and as per a surface reading from my end - the 'white america' which they see as enablers or creators of systematic racism & policy brutality.
Good post, Larssen but just one point...corporate chain stores in minority neighborhoods should in fact be the last places to get torched. Soulless and faceless corporations are willing to go into these places, take a chance, and hire locally . They help the community way more than the small "Mom and Pop" business owners Republicans speak so highly of. Corporate American deserves credit there and elsewhere too. It's a more complicated situation than many may assume.
also in watts, didn't they burn their own neighbourhood? their own races' stores? then they tried to go to the korean-american part and found a bunch of store-owners sat on roofs with rifles.
youre conflating two separate incidents. Both riots started due to what was perceived as racial profling. In the watts riot, black people burned "their own neighborhoods" because they were not allowed to live anywhere else. In the 1992 riots (where Korean American patrols camped out on rooftops), the inciting incident was the beating of Rodney King. Theres a lot of historical context that applies to the build up of pressure in both cases that's worth understanding.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
https://i.imgur.com/hu5H17P.jpg

I think i see the root problem.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Good post, Larssen but just one point...corporate chain stores in minority neighborhoods should in fact be the last places to get torched. Soulless and faceless corporations are willing to go into these places, take a chance, and hire locally . They help the community way more than the small "Mom and Pop" business owners Republicans speak so highly of. Corporate American deserves credit there and elsewhere too. It's a more complicated situation than many may assume.
also in watts, didn't they burn their own neighbourhood? their own races' stores? then they tried to go to the korean-american part and found a bunch of store-owners sat on roofs with rifles.
youre conflating two separate incidents. Both riots started due to what was perceived as racial profling. In the watts riot, black people burned "their own neighborhoods" because they were not allowed to live anywhere else. In the 1992 riots (where Korean American patrols camped out on rooftops), the inciting incident was the beating of Rodney King. Theres a lot of historical context that applies to the build up of pressure in both cases that's worth understanding.
thank you, i was indeed confusing the two.
uziq
+492|3451
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

I think i see the root problem.
i thought you were against affirmative action? or am i confusing one of dilbert's views with your own.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

"Educated black people think MLK is a sellout because they have Malcom X's autobiography on their bookshelf" is in the running for the dumbest statement of the week.
Is it? I don't think so ken. His views are extremist and they lead to hatred and distrust. They teach black people that white people are the enemy and will never be their friend. I know you love it, because it dovetails nicely with your hatred of anyone that owns more homes than you do, but it is hatred and polarizing nonetheless.
The problem is you are completely ignorant to both MLK and Malcom X - you demonstrated that with your "MLK embraced white middle class" quote - if you knew anything about the civil rights movement and MLK in particular, you'd understand how plain wrong that statement is. His Letter From Birmingham Jail is his second most famous work (behind the "I Have a Dream" speech...ever heard of that one either?).

Malcom X pivoted away from racial separation and the Nation of Islam in his later years. Did you also not know that it was a Nation of Islam member that killed him? Did you know that after his pivot away from the Nation of Islam that he embraced a more moderate form of protest? And did you also know that Malcom X's second most famous work (behind his Autobiography, which I'm positive you've never read), was a letter he wrote during his pilgrimage to Mecca after he broke from the Nation of Islam (due to what he inferred as being a mouthpiece for Elijah Muhammed) where he talked about his previous extremist view and new found perspective:

"America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white - but the white attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color."

"You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth."

"During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept on the same rug - while praying to the same God - with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the deeds of the white Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana."

"We were truly all the same (brothers) - because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude."

The American Negro never can be blamed for his racial animosities - he is only reacting to four hundred years of the conscious racism of the American whites.But as racism leads America up the suicide path, I do believe, from the experiences that I have had with them, that the whites of the younger generation, in the colleges and universities, will see the handwriting on the walls and many of them will turn to the spiritual path of truth - the only way left to America to ward off the disaster that racism inevitably must lead to.
So like, radical and extremist of him. That letter was also published in his autobiography, by the way. The one that sits on educated black people's bookshelfs while they sip tea and talk shit on MLK.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Nation of Islam is to Islam what Mormonism is to Christianity. Two weirdo religions that are only tangentially related to the original one.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Jay, your general ignorance is not the problem here. After all, no one should be expected to know everything about everything. The problem is both your unwillingness to become knowledgeable and your want to diagnose problems from a position of ignorance.

Read a fucking book, educate yourself on a subject THEN fire from the hip.
uziq
+492|3451
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

The rioters mostly end up destroying property of in this case and as per a surface reading from my end - the 'white america' which they see as enablers or creators of systematic racism & policy brutality.
possibly/probably true. As I said it's only a surface reading, would have to delve into this in more detail & the context to really understand the violence.
I missed this one, but its also fucking stupid. Corporate chain stores "willing to go into these places" suck money out of the community and replace community-based businesses, while at the same time donating to politicians who don't act in the best interest of those communities. You think they should be exalted because they draw their minimum wage workers from the local community?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
Then the store stops making money so they close it and we get another food desert.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
The amount of community based businesses that get taken out is exaggerated. And the ones that do are often not black owned anyway.

Chain stores can provide better services and the people with those jobs are often grateful for the work.
uziq
+492|3451
the equal hiring practices thrust upon large corporations are a particular sticking point for macbeth. he obviously got fired or rejected from a small-medium-sized enterprise.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Macbeth the point is not they are black owned, but that the money largely stays in the community instead of transported to the Cayman Islands in the form of corporate profits.

Capital outflow is not exaggerated. It's a part of a larger problem in poor areas.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

uziq wrote:

the equal hiring practices thrust upon large corporations are a particular sticking point for macbeth. he obviously got fired or rejected from a small-medium-sized enterprise.
Equal hiring is usually debated in a corporate or office environment. Nobody is complaining that someone got overlooked for a Walmart cashier job because of affirmative action.
Larssen
+99|1887

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Larssen wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

possibly/probably true. As I said it's only a surface reading, would have to delve into this in more detail & the context to really understand the violence.
I missed this one, but its also fucking stupid. Corporate chain stores "willing to go into these places" suck money out of the community and replace community-based businesses, while at the same time donating to politicians who don't act in the best interest of those communities. You think they should be exalted because they draw their minimum wage workers from the local community?
That was my inclination but I didn't want to jump the gun without knowing anything about it in the US. This is a debatable point though as corporates sucking money out of communities is a worldwide problem regardless of skin tone. At the end of the day it's margins driving decision making in corporate boards, which usually ends up impacting the lowest socioeconomic classes on a national & global level the most. I would prefer looking at this as ills of capitalism which has 'systemic racism' as a side-effect in countries where the bottom economic position is disproportionately filled by people of certain ethnic origins.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-28 12:33:16)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

I agree. I mentioned in my follow up that it's not about black-owned businesses, but about the capital outflow from poor communities. I don't think it's a side-effect of capitalism, though. It's a feature, not a bug!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
Halo 3 menu music is probably up their too

https://halome.nu/h3.htm
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America
Let's come to a compromise with this thread
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I sent my paperwork in today to become a real life cop.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

that's a bannable offense around these parts.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I sent my paperwork in today to become a real life cop.
What did that entail? Are there detailed background checks? I have bad memories of having to comb all my accounts for heinous shit.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

haha dude in the US cops post public messages on facebook about being white and proud. you think they do any sort of a rigorous background check?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto
I want to believe there a higher standard...but you're right. I had some misguided hope that what I see of American cops from up here in Canada is just the worst.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard