SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
Only navy sailors would be upset about women in the workplace. Why would anyone want to spend 6 hours a day with just men?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Any engineer worth their crusty salt can tell you that it's bad luck to have a woman design a bridge.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6754|Oxferd Ohire
It's true, I had to build a bridge in high school physics class. Got partnered with a girl and didn't let her do any work and got the best bridge weight to capacity.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3469

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Only navy sailors would be upset about women in the workplace. Why would anyone want to spend 6 hours a day with just men?
i don’t really even know what jay’s remark was getting at. ‘a woman’s job’. what does it mean? white-collar office work? work where your nails don’t get grimy? work that doesn’t involve sweating? it’s like he never left his hick town on long island and imagines he’s still coming home on a trawler at the end of every working day.

publishing has historically been a man’s world. editors especially. how many famous women editors have there been of newspapers or publishing houses? you can probably put it on one hand. it’s almost the embodiment of ‘the old boy’s’ club, (what was) a networked world of private clubs and long liquid lunches, the pub at 2pm, fraternising. men dominated books and they had male editors. i still regularly find senior academics or writers who would prefer to speak to a man, only address their emails ‘dear sir,’ etc. sexism is rife, as in many careers.

publishing is changing. most of the lower positions now have a good gender balance. lots of young women join houses as editorial assistants or become agent’s assistants. but the higher positions are still dominated by men. it’s a lot like schools in this regard. a lot of work is still to be done. but still, who the fuck is going to complain about a near-steady stream of 20-something women coming into the workplace, fresh out of elite grad schools and impeccably styled? even being narrowly misogynist, i can’t see the objection.

it’s telling he has to keep dressing up being an air conditioning technician as a ‘respected career’. as if parents are hoping their kids opt for HVAC rather than that MD/JD. as if people’s eyes open wide at neighbourhood BBQ’s when he starts describing his work of ambling around building sites in steel cap boots with a compliance list on a clipboard. wow!!! man’s work!

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 03:55:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

In Jay's defense, the New York bridge lights would have looked pretty.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Spectacular.

uziq
+492|3469
the country will re-open.

people will be briefly triumphant, unrestrained. pro-trump supporters will say it was all an overblown load-a-nuthin'. liberal hysteria.

there will be a second spike in june/july. a yuuuuge spike. all the work and sacrifice that people have made in the last 8 weeks will effectively be annulled.

perhaps by then, into month 6 of the pandemic, the states will at least have been able to organise meaningful testing/tracing regimes, and state leaders will take the initiative to enforce effective social distancing. hopefully. i do hope for you.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 15:59:15)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

"My house is in god's hands."

I imagine any number of spikes won't affect the opinions of some people on the virus and measures in place to contain it. It's going to be difficult for people to not be frustrated at the financial ruin ahead. A $1500 check doesn't amount to a hill of beans in some areas of the country. Entire families being virtually wiped out overnight is something that happens to other people, so they will focus on the more "immediate" threats such as food, electricity, and mass evictions.

(Admittedly in other cases people aren't concerned so much about the essentials as they are just mad they can't go to the park or beach or have big BBQs with the whole neighborhood. Dumb.)
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
I am watching 60 Minutes and the farmers are complaining that the trade wars and now the pandemic wiped them out. Even though they got 3 farmer bailouts it still isn't enough for them. They should have voted for Clinton. At least they would have avoided the trade war.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

What annoys me about some farmers is the passive aggressive way they bring their profession into completely unrelated social debates. "You like eating, right?"
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5560|Toronto
"Farmers feed cities" is my personal favorite. Any time they feel small they bust that one out like the white collar workers they're talking to can't contemplate the most basic functioning of the supply chain.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-05-03 17:08:14)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736

Pochsy wrote:

"Farmers feed cities" is my personal favorite. Any time they feel small they bust that one out like the white collar workers they're talking to can't contemplate the most basic functioning of the supply chain.
People were upset that Mike Bloomberg told a white collar crowd once that "I can teach anyone here how to be a farmer. You dig a hole, put in a seed, and add some water".
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5560|Toronto
lol, I can see that being upsetting to farmers because it's actually pretty complex these days. When they say 'farmers feed cities' it's like some guilt trip that they're toiling in the fields goes unnoticed by everyone. But it doesn't. And the city folk generally do value them and understand their struggle. Kinda like when mom sighs loudly as she picks up the clothes off a bedroom floor each week on the way to the laundry. It's not that the teens don't get it--it's that they're preoccupied.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3469
i have no disrespect to the work of farmers. but they seem like a group with very little political foresight. they regularly vote in and support things that are patently not in their best interest.

a huge amount of farming subsidies and favourable trading arrangements came to UK farmers from the EU. a bunch of landowning gentry-types effectively voted to pull out the rug underneath their own feet. then they complain that they can't get the staff and their subsidies have disappeared. in america farmers vote in a guy who prosecutes trade wars on their behalf -- and loses bigly. it's hard to have pity for people who piss upstream into wind.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 17:32:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

Expecting gratitude for work put into an essential service like farming probably shouldn't extend into expanding bible study into public schools, or allowing businesses to fire someone for being outed as a homosexual.

To be fair, there is more to farming than putting a seed in the ground and watering it. Having a tomato garden doesn't make you a horticulturist. Agriculture is a science, after all. But as with other fields, there are different degrees of qualification. I think some farmers tend to talk up what they know to a silly degree.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Expecting gratitude for work put into an essential service like farming probably shouldn't extend into expanding bible study into public schools, or allowing businesses to fire someone for being outed as a homosexual.

To be fair, there is more to farming than putting a seed in the ground and watering it. Having a tomato garden doesn't make you a horticulturist. Agriculture is a science, after all. But as with other fields, there are different degrees of qualification. I think some farmers tend to talk up what they know to a silly degree.
Bloomberg's point was that teaching someone how to farm was easier than teaching them high tech jobs like programming and engineering. And before you say "there is engineering and programming in agriculture", no farmers are programming farming machine operating systems or designing combine engine in AutoCAD.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5560|Toronto
Just gotta rub some dirt on it and get down to brass tacks to negotiate some new trade deals that show due respect to the boys in overalls punching the clock at 4am and not quit'n till the jerb is dun. International trade isn't that complex. We grown the corn. We send it overseas. I vote for the guy who talks sense.
uziq
+492|3469
americans are lethally fat because the government heavily subsidises corn. it's all shit corn that can only be chewed by cattle, as well. the vast majority of it ends up as high-fructose corn syrup. which ends up in every single food product imaginable. american bread tastes like candy. they are all dying of obesity because american farmers need the government to continue their artificial survival. sad!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6789|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Bloomberg's point was that teaching someone how to farm was easier than teaching them high tech jobs like programming and engineering. And before you say "there is engineering and programming in agriculture", no farmers are programming farming machine operating systems or designing combine engine in AutoCAD.
Maybe by, "teaching any of you how to farm," what he meant is that he could pay someone else to teach them how to farm.
Larssen
+99|1904
Do have to remind people that farming is one of the most essential services and that you do not want to be very dependent on a long international supply chain for your food consumption. Farming is a protected profession and has to remain so even if it is uncompetitive. That is probably the most important reason to subsidise the industry over any others.

We're now noticing our dependency on China and others for essential production can pose real problems. There has to be a solution in the future for domestic, flexible rapid scale up in these areas so that we're not resigned to importing basic medical equipment and test kits or other stuff when a crisis hits. It's an important reason corona escalated in the west.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-04 00:39:24)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6123|eXtreme to the maX
Farming is not simple or risk free, pretty well every year each farmer bets the farm.
And each year they're betting on things out of their control, weather, blights etc.

It is more complex than just sticking seeds in the ground, crop yields and the low price people pay are products of efficiency and scientific farming.

Maybe people would like to go back to spending 40% of their income on food and 50% on rent.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3469
Maybe people would like to go back to spending 40% of their income on food
LOL you sound like a remainer commenting on britain's food supply/agricultural workers.

even with a ready supply of cheap (some would say exploitative) labour from abroad to do the non-automatable bits, UK and US farmers, as well as french farmers, german farmers, dutch farmers (i could go on) have been heavily protected by government intervention and protectionist trade policies. the US and UK farmer is an endangered animal being preserved by immense subsidies.

if you're all for decoupling yourself from the tyranny of the EU, divorcing ourselves from chinese supply lines, etc, then you better be ready to put your money where your mouth is and start paying more for everyday items and comestibles.

being accustomed to cheap food and wasteful consumption does have something to do with it, you're right, in much the same way that our addiction to 'fast fashion' from generic super-factories in the far-east has undermined a lot of the traditional high-street/small boutique and ruined half the planet and its water supply.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-04 02:44:27)

Larssen
+99|1904
Almost 40% of the EU budget is spent on agriculture, so they're subsidised everywhere. I'm ok with that.
uziq
+492|3469
i didn't say i wasn't. you have to ask what the people who are anti-chinese manufacturing and anti-EU are proposing as feasible alternatives.
Larssen
+99|1904
That question arises on so many topics it's depressing. People understand so godawfully little about how their daily lives are supported.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard