Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
US has higher rates of obesity, asthma, diabetes and heart disease.
This is the pandemic the US had to have.

Either the Chinese figures are lies, they have a treatment they're lying about or something else.
The bat flu does seem to affect Italians disproportionately, maybe thats why New York is so fucked.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451

Pochsy wrote:

I actually do think the US' death rate is going to be higher than most other countries because of the healthcare setup. Not the quality, but the access. There's a certain culture among those without adequate health insurance that it's better to try and weather the illness than to go into potentially life-long debt to seek medical help.
new york as a case study is already telling. the deaths and serious cases are already massively stratified by class and ethnicity.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto

uziq wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I actually do think the US' death rate is going to be higher than most other countries because of the healthcare setup. Not the quality, but the access. There's a certain culture among those without adequate health insurance that it's better to try and weather the illness than to go into potentially life-long debt to seek medical help.
new york as a case study is already telling. the deaths and serious cases are already massively stratified by class and ethnicity.
I'd seen some stats on that and wondered if it was due to healthcare access. I suppose it could also be that lower-class, often radicalized people often work in jobs that see them interacting with more people on a daily basis. cleaners, merchants, clerks, jobs like that. Do you know if those lower-class people are showing up in the infection statistics more, too?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3451
i posted this here before, it's a better summary than i could give.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … two-cities
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

uziq wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I'd seen some stats on that and wondered if it was due to healthcare access. I suppose it could also be that lower-class, often radicalized people often work in jobs that see them interacting with more people on a daily basis. cleaners, merchants, clerks, jobs like that. Do you know if those lower-class people are showing up in the infection statistics more, too?
The poor are crowded into tenements and didn't take this as seriously as the wealthy. They're wage workers that have to physically be on site in order to generate income, so they went in for as long as they could. There's also more of them, so there will be more cases among them.

Unlike what you see on TV and in movies, most of New York City is minority, so that's what we're seeing in our hospitals.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
remember. it's the fault of the bus drivers, subway workers and nurses.

'they didn't take this shit seriously'. it was the poor people who didn't take it seriously. trump and his followers were taking it yuuuugely seriously.

jay thinks that poor people were 'responsible' for spreading it because they are irresponsible and breed too much. he really said that.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

remember. it's the fault of the bus drivers, subway workers and nurses.

'they didn't take this shit seriously'. it was the poor people who didn't take it seriously. trump and his followers were taking it yuuuugely seriously.

jay thinks that poor people were 'responsible' for spreading it because they are irresponsible and breed too much. he really said that.
Did I ever say that? Nah.

I was an essential worker for weeks too, right up until the Friday before my positive test I was still commuting in every other day. Did I get exposed on the train? At work? Who knows. All I know is that the total number of infections is probably astronomical compared to the actual released values. Most people in the city can't drive out to the suburbs or Staten Island to get tested and the hospitals are turning people away unless they need to be intubated, basically.

So I'm going to strongly guess that our death rate is the same as the rest of the world, but that we've had millions of more cases than the official numbers would indicate.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
so what you're saying is that the outbreak in america is much worse than everywhere in the world? just like everyone is saying?

i just posted earlier that germany's death rate was basically flat and they had done a great job, comparatively speaking, of containing it.

why did you contradict that? by any metric america has done a catastrophically bad job.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

i think most of the numbers we see regarding infected are grossly understated across the board, except for maybe in small corner cases like TW and Korea.

The U.S. as a whole (asshole!) has done a terrible job at the federal level, and in some cases at the state/county level, managing and mitigating this disaster. One clear indicator is the death rate- either we suck at testing, or we suck at triage. Bottom line is that we are not doing a good job.
uziq
+492|3451
every country is way, way behind on testing. in britain you still only get tested when you end up in a hospital severely ill. we haven't even been counting the infection or death rates from private care homes or private homes until today. only reporting the hospital ill and hospital dead. this is more the norm in Europe than we see pertaining in asia, where extensive contact tracing/testing has been in place.

so america is far from the only country with vague stats and likely massive under-reporting. you really can't say that america looks bad because of some quirk in the data collection. at this point most countries do not have a grip on the pandemic's scale or severity. that's precisely why such drastic measures, economically speaking, have had to be taken. it is out of control.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-15 17:44:30)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
At this point the US has 33 times the per capita death rate of Australia, New York 180 times.

I'm sure its some kind of statistical fluke and Trump is doing a great job.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

so what you're saying is that the outbreak in america is much worse than everywhere in the world? just like everyone is saying?

i just posted earlier that germany's death rate was basically flat and they had done a great job, comparatively speaking, of containing it.

why did you contradict that? by any metric america has done a catastrophically bad job.
I didn't contradict it. I said our death RATE is probably very similar. X deaths per ten thousand is going to be relatively stable. I'm saying that our total volume of infected people is much, much larger than the official statistics. Basically, we have what? A 10% death rate? But if we've only tested 1 in 20 positive people, the death rate is actually 0.5%. We won't know until the antibody tests are available.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
there's actually been a wide variation in death rates reported across the world. incomplete data notwithstanding, it's something that isn't fully understood. probably not safe to assume you have the same death rate.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-15 17:50:05)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Jay, if the schools reopened tomorrow would you send your kids to them?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay, if the schools reopened tomorrow would you send your kids to them?
I'd want to get them tested first to make sure they're not active carriers, but after that? Sure
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
people with confederate flags have blocked roads in lansing, MI, protesting the 'stay at home' order and blocking ambulances from getting to a hospital.

lmao. freeeeeEEEeeeeedom
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I have made peace with the fact that Trump is going to order everyone back to work soon.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

uziq wrote:

people with confederate flags have blocked roads in lansing, MI, protesting the 'stay at home' order and blocking ambulances from getting to a hospital.

lmao. freeeeeEEEeeeeedom
Read an article about that. Mostly I saw cars with US flags on them.

Seems to me like a political rally and its inherent behaviors at this time just puts everything at risk.

A guy with a hitched boat made a point to complain that he was being told not to "go fishing with his kids," as if it really needs to be explained why. "I'm not coming into contact with anyone out on a boat!" as if he's not stopping to get gas and supplies for a non-essential activity, exposing his family and everyone he comes in contact with to additional vectors. It's a selfish perspective. The state doesn't have the resources to determine if that's really what you're doing, and to be honest it shouldn't have to be their business to. It's easier to understand someone who's living at the financial brink of not being able to afford food or shelter, let alone medicine. This guy doesn't need to go fishing with his kids in his fancy boat. He just feels cooped up. He should deal with it like an adult and stay home anyway.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have made peace with the fact that Trump is going to order everyone back to work soon.
I think that Trump can issue all the executive orders he wants but he cannot directly preempt state powers alone. What he can do is exert pressure through bullying and playing for political favors with supplies. "If you're not with me then you're against America" sort of approach.
uziq
+492|3451

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

lmao. freeeeeEEEeeeeedom
the video clip i saw of this was on SJW twitter so i couldn't easily embed it here, but there were confederate flags. god knows why. isn't lancing a militia hotspot? patriots baby! our right to die from avoidable illness!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

lmao. freeeeeEEEeeeeedom
the video clip i saw of this was on SJW twitter so i couldn't easily embed it here, but there were confederate flags. god knows why. isn't lancing a militia hotspot? patriots baby! our right to die from avoidable illness!
Oh, I don't doubt it.

For my part:

‘Free MI’: Stay-home order protesters gather at Capitol 4/15
https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavir … sing-today

Embedded video shows lots of US flags and some yellow Gadsdens, along with some dingus marching up and down the lanes with a Trump 2020 sign. He probably still thinks the coronavirus is a hoax.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I think I found the tweet with the confederate flags.

Doesn't surprise me that far right hooligans would show up to a big brain protest called "operation gridlock" in a time where road use is reduced. Except by emergency vehicles trying to get to the hospital.

https://i.imgur.com/H2orHxg.jpg
(from detroit free press 2019 08, Proud Boys 'pwning' a holocaust museum demonstration against caging little kids; "nobody wants suffering, we're just doing what we can as fast as we can!")
I guess you can't be blocking emergency vehicles if everyone on the ambulance is a paid actor pretending they have the hoax democrat virus.

Also:

Michigan Conservatives ‘Not Concerned’ About COVID-19 Block Ambulance During Protest Against Social Distancing 4/16
https://www.thedailybeast.com/michigan- … distancing

https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_2250,w_4000,x_0,y_0/dpr_1.5/c_limit,w_1044/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1587000027/GettyImages-1210050155_jy7vi5
'Inexcusable': Debbie Dingell slams Michigan protesters 4/16
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/1 … est-190312

Elsewhere:

Bill Gates hikes coronavirus contribution after bashing Trump for defunding WHO 4/16
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/1 … who-189984

'Whole room clapped' anecdote:

One of the guys I always get roped into politics with has recently retreated into the "it's great entertainment" shelter when asked about some inexplicable thing Trump said or did. I think it was my mentioning the rolling out the White House propaganda video into the middle of a press briefing while standing there smirking. In response, I get a weak fist pump, a forced laugh, and "good for him! That's great entertainment." Day drinking could have been involved, though.

https://i.imgur.com/XeleZ8c.gif
uziq
+492|3451
america is the most infected country on earth and paramilitaries are showing up in the street with assault weapons ... to aggravate against the pandemic response effort. your country has officially lost its fucking mind.
Larssen
+99|1886
Well I guess a crazy fraction of the country just wants a new civil war.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard