Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5559|Toronto
I think everyone learns differently, and it takes some trial and error to see what works for each kid. That said, the forum for that trial and error tends to be a physical school, where multiple teachers with multiple teaching styles can try and help a student learn.

As soon as it's digital only for everyone, that range of exposure is gone. Jay and Dilbert don't find out hand-written notes are their preferred learning style. Nobody is there to suggest it to them. Nobody is there to force it on them.

If we could all learn engineering from MIT youtube lectures I'd be building a fucking airplane in my garage right now.

Nobody is seriously discussing going digital only. Nobody worth listening to.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5559|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

And our problems with Russia seemed to have died down under the Trump administration. They seemed to have lost a lot of interest in promoting conflict in the Middle East and elsewhere now that our leadership won't even pretend to care about their internal authoritarianism and corruption. Clinton might have just been that bad even globally.
Russia's been quiet because they fucking won. They compromised a president. What more do they need to say? They can just watch the train wreck at this point.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What gets me are the comments saying that they don't know about guns, and then proceeded to offer up the way they would have addressed the issue.
It's pretty annoying when you get the "you don't know about guns", "you are a liberal pussy", "you are a coward", "you are a social justice warrior" etc. from strangers when discussing guns. I don't think I share a lot in common with social justice warriors or college progressives.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Pochsy wrote:

I think everyone learns differently, and it takes some trial and error to see what works for each kid.
I do disagree with Macbeth's idea that kids are pretty much set in stone by the time they're out of grade school. Also, not to harp on longer than necessary, but organization skills should be emphasized for as long as possible through a kid's schooling.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What gets me are the comments saying that they don't know about guns, and then proceeded to offer up the way they would have addressed the issue.
It's pretty annoying when you get the "you don't know about guns", "you are a liberal pussy", "you are a coward", "you are a social justice warrior" etc. from strangers when discussing guns. I don't think I share a lot in common with social justice warriors or college progressives.
I mean at that point, I don't think it's an argument that really matters much.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5559|Toronto

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I think everyone learns differently, and it takes some trial and error to see what works for each kid.
I do disagree with Macbeth's idea that kids are pretty much set in stone by the time they're out of grade school. Also, not to harp on longer than necessary, but organization skills should be emphasized for as long as possible through a kid's schooling.
I think organization is the thing I most value from early schooling, so agreed. I'd also say learning to deal with distractions ('Kyle' and 'Tyrone' from Mac,  was it?) is just as important. School is a microcosm. A testing ground. You need the assholes as much as you need the teacher.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6122|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

Zzzzzzzz
Thats exactly what Chamberlain said.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I know a few "experts at everything" personalities. Very easy people to trigger.

Everyone's an expert now, and actual experts are fags, cowards and pussies.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736

Pochsy wrote:

A testing ground. You need the assholes as much as you need the teacher.
You seriously underestimate the disorder and issues that arise from low discipline and functioning kids. 25% of school resources are spent dealing with 4% of kids.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5559|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

A testing ground. You need the assholes as much as you need the teacher.
You seriously underestimate the disorder and issues that arise from low discipline and functioning kids. 25% of school resources are spent dealing with 4% of kids.
Have no idea how schools in NJ do it, but at least up here we have 'essential' classes (remedial, really) meant to get those kids into the same room to limit damage and teach them just enough to learn a basic trade or skill. Kids can self-select into it, or they can fuck up for a year and the principal will decide they're in it after consulting the parents. In my years there were about 20 kids in the essential class, and honestly they mostly turned out alright. The ones I kept up with aren't Rhodes Scholars, but they have jobs and stable lives.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-04-12 18:08:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
We have a similar system at the high school level but there are two things to keep in mind: elective classes and general mixing of the students during and after school makes the separation irrelevant. And there is a major difference between "dumb and lazy" and "dangerous and disruptive". Too much is done to protect the dangerous and disruptive students and not enough done to protect everyone else from them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

How about mandatory JROTC so America's high school assemblies can look like a North Korean parade every Tuesday and Thursday?
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5559|Toronto

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How about mandatory JROTC so America's high school assemblies can look like a North Korean parade every Tuesday and Thursday?
BOOM. Can we build in a strat to solve world hunger by building in some sort of soylent green scheme in for the savages that aren't salvageable?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
Can we just send them to Full Metal Jacket Academy for Young Boys?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Don't they recite the pledge of obedience every day already?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yes, and I will make you stand and shut up for the pledge. "You can stand or you can kneel but you can't sit and talk during the pledge and national anthem". I can't get a few of them to not look at their cellphone while doing it though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Don't know what they do in other branches or if the Marine kids get to endure their own retired Sgt. Hartman. Probably sucks if membership isn't very high. As far as I can remember, AFJROTC's patriotism was mostly taking turns running the flag up the pole each morning. The actual classes were mostly a mix of psychology, economics, some management/logistics, government, aviation, rocketry, aviation history, and military history. One of my teachers flew an SR-71 (or something like it, iirc), so that was cool. I think my high school had some 300 odd members.

No Hitler Oaths.
uziq
+492|3468
the leader of the us air force is called general cum or something like that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

SecAF and CSAF: Barrett (recently) and Goldfein respectively.

You must be thinking of Admiral Cum.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5559|Toronto

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SecAF and CSAF: Barrett (recently) and Goldfein respectively.

You must be thinking of Admiral Cum.
Rear Admiral Cum?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yes, and I will make you stand and shut up for the pledge. "You can stand or you can kneel but you can't sit and talk during the pledge and national anthem". I can't get a few of them to not look at their cellphone while doing it though.
They're going to hell anyway, don't worry about it.
uziq
+492|3468
Chief Master Sergeant George “steve” Cum

aka Chief Cum

https://www.airforcemedicine.af.mil/New … steve-cum/

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-12 19:03:17)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Well hot damn. Nobody's shooting blanks in the US Air Force I bet.
uziq
+492|3468
this is related to the pandemic because i read his name in the context of that deplorable story about the US navy. that captain who got dismissed from his command of a nuclear carrier or some shit. the entire reactor room crew were sick with corona and they were predicting 90 dead sailors. great job.

Last edited by uziq (2020-04-12 19:10:23)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And the head of the Navy spent $240,000 to fly out and yell at them before he was fired.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
Most of the sailors in the Navy are gay. There would be no stopping the COVID once they started trading it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard