uziq
+492|3453

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

It's not the flu, I admit I was wrong. I still don't think it's going to be as bad as people initially thought it would be.
There are hundreds of people dying a day. Young healthy people too. How do you explain that?
Young people die from the flu too. Not sure why this is shocking to you. Did you think you were invincible to sickness?
jay you have no idea what you're talking about. the risk and harm of coronavirus to young people is far worse than flu.

do you even understand the basics of the human immune response? what coronavirus is? we have flu vaccines ffs. the chance of a young person getting critically ill from flu, after years of annual exposure and built immunity, and specially developed programs of vaccination to combat it, is very low indeed.

please read something, anything.

do you grasp that lots of people are dying because this illness can make someone -- anyone, of any age -- fall critically ill at short notice? and without respiration and life support, you die? people are going to die because of a lack of resources. that is not a scenario ever encountered in the treatment of flu. every healthcare system in the world has capacity built in for the annual seasonal rhythm of influenza. most countries in the world mobilise huge, widespread vaccination programs to mitigate against flu.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-27 07:36:17)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
https://preview.redd.it/xsn79wrgw6p41.png?width=939&auto=webp&s=6827096305ffb0f0ed5c65f1f76ff20ee24f4859
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

There are hundreds of people dying a day. Young healthy people too. How do you explain that?
Young people die from the flu too. Not sure why this is shocking to you. Did you think you were invincible to sickness?
jay you have no idea what you're talking about. the risk and harm of coronavirus to young people is far worse than flu.

do you even understand the basics of the human immune response? what coronavirus is? we have flu vaccines ffs. the chance of a young person getting critically ill from flu, after years of annual exposure and built immunity, and specially developed programs of vaccination to combat it, is very low indeed.

do you grasp that lots of people are dying because this illness can make someone -- anyone, of any age -- fall critically ill at short notice? and without respiration and life support, you die? people are going to die because of a lack of resources. that is not a scenario ever encountered in the treatment of flu. every healthcare system in the world has capacity built in for the annual seasonal rhythm of influenza. most countries in the world mobilise huge, widespread vaccination programs to mitigate against flu.
Idiot. All I said was that young people die from the flu too. Get a fucking grip man.

Last edited by Jay (2020-03-27 07:40:25)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Mr Cuomo has previously warned the rest of the US that the events unfolding in New York are just the start of what could be set to unfold nationally, saying his city is just “a test case”.

“What is happening in New York is not a New York phenomenon,” he said at a press conference on 24 March. “Look at us today. Where we are today, you will be in three weeks, or four weeks, or five weeks, or six weeks.

“We are your future. And what we do here will chart the course for what we do in your city and in your community.”

linky
Eerie resemblance to Italian sentiments, no?

In non-US news,

Bolsonaro's anti-science response to coronavirus appals Brazil's governors 3/27
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi … r-BB11MOlQ

Top Brazilian politicians from across the political spectrum have warned that Jair Bolsonaro is putting thousands of lives at risk with what they called his reckless, paranoid, anti-scientific and belligerent response to the coronavirus.

In a series of scathing interviews – conducted as 26 of Brazil’s 27 state governors convened an emergency meeting to discuss Bolsonaro’s behaviour – regional chiefs told the Guardian they feared the far-right leader was sowing confusion over the need for quarantine and social distancing measures, and wasting precious time setting political bonfires to energize his radical base.

Bolsonaro sparked fury on Tuesday with an extraordinary address to the nation in which he rubbished the quarantine measures and travel restrictions being implemented by many state governors and urged Brazilians to return to work and schools – in contradiction of his own health ministry’s counsel.

The comments stunned state governors – many of whom are now in open revolt against the president.

“I was gobsmacked,” said Ronaldo Caiado, the rightwing governor of Goiás state and a former Bolsonaro ally.

“It’s appalling. You cannot govern a country like this,” added Caiado, who this week severed ties with Bolsonaro. “At a moment like this he should have the humility to leave things to those who understand them.”

Paulo Câmara, governor of the north-eastern state of Pernambuco, said regional chiefs were disappointed that “when every expert, from every country recommends staying at home … [Bolsonaro] goes on national TV and says this is an exaggeration, that distancing isn’t necessary, that the virus isn’t all that deadly, that it’s just ‘a little flu’.
@jay:
It's cute how you're all like "you're harping on about this thing." When was the last time renaming threads ever even came up? Yet there you are with it in your expansive rolodex of memories, ready to put it to strange use in a thread about a virus you were dismissive of (you still are). "Remember that one time ten years ago?" Whatever, grandpa.

"Haha, you wash your hands and are glad that people are dying." I've got elderly family ranging from really vulnerable to especially vulnerable to this thing. Family in essential businesses who are still working, who could still be handily worked over or killed by the coronavirus. I'm still working, although some portion of non-field stuff can be done from home rather than at the office. Not to mention friends/contacts who work in hospitals and emergency services who are at risk every day they go into work. So you can stick that quip up your ass and break it off at the handle, you arrogant turd. What a thing to say, and then bitch and complain about it coming up again in the same thread. "Cut me some slack, bro!" Galling.

IT'S JUsT The fLu!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/cuomo-adm … ome-cases/

Last edited by Jay (2020-03-27 07:44:11)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Idiot. All I said was that young people die from the flu too. Get a fucking grip man.
a tiny fraction of young people die from flu. people with serious pre-existing medical conditions. flu does not lead to critical respiratory distress in 99.99% of young people.

the rates for coronavirus are FAR higher.  the pathogenesis of the disease is entirely different; it progresses to interstitial pneumonia in a much higher proportion of people, in comparison; the only treatment for that is respiration, or you die. respiration is ordinarily no biggie for any advanced healthcare system -- but not respiration at pandemic levels. i have a grip on the statistics; you don't. how about you do a research n00b?

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-27 07:46:30)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

a tiny fraction of young people die from flu. people with serious pre-existing medical conditions. flu does not lead to critical respiratory distress in 99.99% of young people.

the rates for coronavirus are FAR higher.  the pathogenesis of the disease is entirely different; it progresses to interstitial pneumonia in a much higher proportion of people, in comparison; the only treatment for that is respiration, or you die. respiration is ordinarily no biggie for any advanced healthcare system -- but not respiration at pandemic levels. i have a grip on the statistics; you don't. how about you do a research n00b?
Macbeth was expressing worry because he is surprised young people are dying from this illness. All I said is that young people die from the flu too. No one is invulnerable.

I understand you think you're the #JayResistance right now, but fuck off.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
only the immunocompromised need have anxiety about dying from flu.

healthy people are dying from coronavirus. it's an entirely different scenario.

i know you think you're the voice of reason with your 'it's fine, america has a stock of 330,000,000 people ... let's run the math ...' approach, but you really are a giant dumbie.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

only the immunocompromised need have anxiety about dying from flu.

healthy people are dying from coronavirus. it's an entirely different scenario.

i know you think you're the voice of reason with your 'it's fine, america has a stock of 330,000,000 people ... let's run the math ...' approach, but you really are a giant dumbie.
Ok.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
herein is middle america's problem. mass ignorance and feelings of invulnerability. first it was china's problem, then europe's problem; but pretty quickly it became your problem.

first it was china's fault, then the elite's fault, now this week it seems to be the fault of the feckless urban poor. what next, i wonder?

you're quite right, jay, that you're not invulnerable. but your government's response and your own attitude to this thus far speaks volumes about your root-level assumptions that it'll just 'go away' or happen to someone else, or at the very least because of someone else.

i forecast a lot of misplaced and confused anger in the very near future. who can be to blame !!!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Trump Rejects New York’s Plea For Ventilators: ‘I Don’t Believe You Need’ That Many 3/26
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-co … 27060.html

President Donald Trump rejected calls from New York’s governor that the state needed tens of thousands of new ventilators to treat a mass of patients infected with the novel coronavirus, saying he didn’t believe those numbers were accurate.

“I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said in some areas are just bigger than they’re going to be,” Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity on Thursday night. “I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals sometimes, they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying can we order 30,000 ventilators?”

He added: “Look, it’s a very bad situation. We haven’t seen anything like it, but the end result is we’ve got to get back to work, and I think we can start by opening up certain parts of the country.”
Death cult conspiracy theory may have merit.

Governors temper their words about Donald Trump over fears he will punish their states 3/27
https://www.bozsh.com/News/Governors-te … tates.html

At first, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker tried to play nice. He limited criticisms of the federal government's handling of the coronavirus pandemic and asked for medical supplies through official channels.

But nothing came, so he went on television. The first-term Democrat blasted the Trump administration Sunday on CNN for failing to help states obtain masks, gloves and other protective gear.

It got President Donald Trump's attention. After a Twitter feud and some mudslinging (Pritzker compared Trump to a 'carnival barker'), the two got on the phone Monday, and Trump promised Illinois 250,000 masks and 300 ventilators.

Facing an unprecedented public health crisis, governors are trying to get what they need from Washington, and fast.

But that means navigating the disorienting politics of dealing with Trump, an unpredictable president with a love for cable news and a penchant for retribution.

Republicans and Democrats alike are testing whether to fight or flatter, whether to back channel requests or go public, all in an attempt to get Trump's attention and his assurances.
What a presidency.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Jay wrote:

Just admit you love this shit because it *checks notes* allowed you to replace half of your wardrobe.
uziq
+492|3453
america is literally in a situation where it is encouraging people to endanger themselves to 'get back to work', refusing to adequately test and diagnose people, and refusing to fund a medical system encountering by all accounts the very definition of a healthcare apocalypse. an uncontrolled pandemic is just about the worst-case scenario in healthcare provision.

yet america can find a couple trillion down the back of the sofa for the stock market.

what an amazing country.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Just admit you love this shit because it *checks notes* allowed you to replace half of your wardrobe.
Why on earth would I be enjoying any of this? This is completely fucking up everything. I was simply trying to find the one bright side instead of being anxious and depressed all day.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
i don't think any of us are 'anxious or depressed'. i don't know why that is your default binary. you've been watching too much fox news about 'hysterical libs'. i find knowing information a much bigger comfort than blundering around in ignorance. come into the light of the truth, jay. everyone bathes in a warm glow.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why on earth would I be enjoying any of this? This is completely fucking up everything. I was simply trying to find the one bright side instead of being anxious and depressed all day.
Man, if you don't see the irony of that post …
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

uziq wrote:

herein is middle america's problem. mass ignorance and feelings of invulnerability.
That's funny. It reminds me of something I heard on a lefty/comedy podcast regarding older conservative Americans not taking this thing seriously. The joke was that basically the Boomers do not believe they are ever going to die. Death was something that happened to other people and they would live through this just like they lived through all of the other drama of the last 70ish years.
uziq
+492|3453
americans' fear and avoidance of death is basically a trope in europe. it's not for nothing that the cosmetics and plastic surgery industry took off there. you're obsessed with beating death. silicon valley twonks with fantasies of cryogenesis/uploading to the cloud are no different. look at the following for people like ray kurzweil -- a man who really does think he can beat death, despite all evidence pointing to the contrary.

Last edited by uziq (2020-03-27 08:15:22)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
My parents are using this crisis to raise my rent.
uziq
+492|3453
haha.

i am glad to be living in a country where everyone applauds the health services at night, and where the government will tell people to stay indoors and stay quarantined for as long as is necessary. it must be anxiety-inducing knowing that your government are willingly ignoring the problem, and people are continuing on about their business and adding to the flames.

america is going to become the infectious hotspot of the world over the next week. perhaps a brazil or an india will steal its pole position, in time. but you're in for one hell of a ride. like dilbert said before, it'll make for good epidemiological data: what happens when those at the top do precisely fuck all.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Just volunteered to go help build the temporary hospitals with the Army Corps of Engineers.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

PPE comparison.

2/25

3/22

Comments from video 2 wrote:

I am an anesthesiologist in Toronto. My department is doing a lot of preparation and simulation for COVID-19. A couple of suggestions: 1) PPE should include neck protection 2) consider intubating and extubating with a large plastic sheet covering patients head and torso.
--
^ I'm here in Miami, FL and our department was saying the same thing. The question will be how to utilize the clear plastic bag and still be able to use your hands to manipulate the airway with ETT Glidescope etc. Do you place holes for your hands.. ? Do you drape it over and reach underneath?
--
Hi there. ED doctor from Perth. i note that the amount of PPE donned by the intubator is far less than what the Chinese ANaesthetist have been using in their facilities. IS there any documentation/evidence to suggest that this is enough? or is this a function of limited PPE resources?  thanks.
Donning PPE: https://i.imgur.com/YSitKiz.mp4

Meanwhile the president might give your state 300 ventilators, or he might not. He's not sure yet. Depends on how much ass each governor kisses.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Is it safe to get food through Uber Eats? I am dying for some Burger King.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
I got food from McDonald's cause in my genius I didn't bring lunch to work. Just wash your hands and wear your mask.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3453
the most dangerous part about it is probably eating in public at a table shared by lots of other people. you'd hope that people preparing food are already operating with high hygiene standards.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard