uziq
+492|3451
stay safe ken, seems lots of vit c/d supplements and extra caution are needed this winter. most places are reporting concurrent waves of seasonal illness that are combining in all sorts of nasty and unexpected ways.

a flu strain was reported to have mutated and merged with RSV last week. triple-threat scenario.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I saw something like this on Science Alert awhile back? - https://www.sciencealert.com/new-hybrid … e-pathogen

Researchers have witnessed two viruses – influenza A and respiratory syncytial virus – fuse together to form a single, hybrid virus.

While competition between viruses has been researched in some detail, this new finding provides researchers with an unusual example of one virus coopting another for its own benefits.

"This kind of hybrid virus has never been described before," virologist and senior author Pablo Murcia told The Guardian. "We are talking about viruses from two completely different families combining together with the genomes and the external proteins of both viruses. It is a new type of virus pathogen."

The hybrid virus looks like a gecko's foot under the microscope, with respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) forming the legs and influenza A virus forming the toes.

It was discovered during a lab-based experiment designed to analyze interactions between viruses during infection to better understand clinical outcomes, pathogen behavior, and transmission.
uziq
+492|3451
we are wiping out diversity on this planet, destroying ecosystems and wild space, and act surprised when new pathogens keep crossing over into the expanding human population.

several new viruses were discovered in melting siberian permafrost too, the oil speculators and fossil fuels investors of this world will be glad to hear. pathogenic treats from our human pre-history.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Front row seats to the Anthropocene Mass Extinction.

It instills in me a sense of wonder that something can be dug out of permafrost somewhere and revived after tens of thousands of years of dormancy, and still resume normal function.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-12-13 19:18:12)

uziq
+492|3451
i mean, it's highly likely that material brought in from outer space on superheated rocks was crucial to life starting on this planet in the first place. plus there are any number of organisms and lifeforms that can survive in the most extreme of conditions, whether it's of temperature, pressure, light or lack thereof, salinity or pH, etc.

just don't look into prions. they are basically indestructible and functionally immortal, and also very very bad news for our nervous systems. and we are contributing to more and more of them being scattered, willy nilly, around habitats and ecosystems every single year.

Last edited by uziq (2022-12-13 19:40:34)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I mean I already have. I just think stuff that can survive in extreme conditions or be woken up like Dracula from a thousand year slumber or whatever are really interesting.

IIRC in Spore you'd start out from a meteorite.
uziq
+492|3451
we already resurrected dinosaurs from fossilized amber. didn't you see that documentary?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Wasn't that just an elaborate Gillette commercial?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i mean, it's highly likely that material brought in from outer space on superheated rocks was crucial to life starting on this planet in the first place. plus there are any number of organisms and lifeforms that can survive in the most extreme of conditions, whether it's of temperature, pressure, light or lack thereof, salinity or pH, etc.
Personally I think its likely this happened more than once.

just don't look into prions. they are basically indestructible and functionally immortal, and also very very bad news for our nervous systems. and we are contributing to more and more of them being scattered, willy nilly, around habitats and ecosystems every single year.
OK

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I mean I already have. I just think stuff that can survive in extreme conditions or be woken up like Dracula from a thousand year slumber or whatever are really interesting.
1,000 years seems like a long time from our perspective, for other things it probably isn't.

Novel pathogens for which we have no defence are bad enough.

That we're burning up the few defences we have had for under a century is actually worse.

Front row seats to the Anthropocene Mass Extinction.
https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/shutterstock_5885876aa.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
prions are basically the biological equivalent of what a black hole is to physics. they do to proteins what BH's do to matter. every healthy and functioning protein that comes into contact with a misfolded prion protein will 'denature' and flip into a fucked shape, like a broken spring or slinky toy. and then it spreads to the neighbouring ones, too.

people say rabies is fearsome because, if not treated immediately, it is essentially 99.99% fatal. but we can kill carriers of rabies and inoculate against it in any case. a prion could be lying around in the soil for 1000s of years after its host has died and rotted, get into the water or food supply somehow, and still fuck you up. there is literally zilch we can do to stop prions. you can't kill them off with disinfectant or antimicrobials or heat treatment or whatever.

as most of our crucial proteins are obviously in the brain, the range of prion-related diseases are a parade of horrors, too. every variety of slow degeneration, locked-in syndrome, precipitous cognitive decline, etc. mad cow disease is just the beginning of it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I thought you said don't look into prions.

Its literally right here

uziq wrote:

just don't look into prions
https://forums.bf2s.com//viewtopic.php? … 2#p4016772
uziq
+492|3451
the bad news is that your state has 3x more cattle than people, cattle being infamously one of the main vectors of prion diseases in humans (other than forms of human cannibalism involving encephalophagy, which leads to Kuru disease).

the good news is that you were going to stay inside for the rest of your life, anyway.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the good news is that you were going to stay inside for the rest of your life, anyway.
And I'm vegetarian.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So anyway.

RSV Is taking off because

[   ]   The pathologically hypersocial have been cooped up too long and this is god's way of saying lockdowns are bad

[   ]   Covid has damaged people's lungs and made them more vulnerable to things like RSV
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

And I'm vegetarian.
a lot of people who develop things like JKD get it 'randomly', seemingly from nowhere. if you're living in a state with a lot of agribusiness and factory farming, i don't think you have to directly eat an animal to be in danger of coming into contact with contaminated groundwater or soil/produce, etc. again, prions are a hardier foe than a food-borne bacterium.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

So anyway.

RSV Is taking off because

[   ]   The pathologically hypersocial have been cooped up too long and this is god's way of saying lockdowns are bad

[   ]   Covid has damaged people's lungs and made them more vulnerable to things like RSV
the current dominant strains of covid don't affect the lungs. and your average case of non-serious, non-ICU covid wouldn't leave you with serious lung scarring for 2+ years. probably at more respiratory risk from car particulates and smoking tbh.

people's immune responses are down right across the board. even common colds seem particularly severe in the last 1–2 years.

or how do you explain UK schoolchildren dying of Strep A? that's not a lung infection.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
These things go in cycles, perfectly likely to be a statistical anomaly, that and antibiotic resistance is increasing.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Tested positive for COVID. Fatigue and lots of pressure in my head are the annoying symptoms. Lame
I feel almost normal now (just a little pain deep in the chest). I was hoping I'd be able to test negative today so I could play softball tonight, but nope! Probs gonna miss the company Christmas party tomorrow during the day, a bday party tomorrow night, and the party my friend was having to watch the annual boat parade on Saturday night. I'll take a test every day and hopefully I can pass a test by Sunday morning so I can make my tee time.

I'm going out of the country next week so I suppose it's better that I came down with covid this week instead of next week.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Yeah I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to get back to it that soon on top of covid either.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

These things go in cycles, perfectly likely to be a statistical anomaly, that and antibiotic resistance is increasing.
https://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2022/december/deadly-gas

anything but an anomaly, but far more complex than we laypeople give credit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

people's immune responses are down right across the board. even common colds seem particularly severe in the last 1–2 years.

or how do you explain UK schoolchildren dying of Strep A? that's not a lung infection.
The current increase in severe paediatric GAS infections in the UK is said to be part of a rebound of infections caused by a relaxation of Covid-19 social distancing measures. In spite of the novelty of Sars-CoV-2, our understanding of its evolution during the pandemic is vastly greater than for GAS, whose incessantly changing genome is more than sixty times bigger than the virus’s. Making sense of it is an enormously complex task.
OK so nothing about "people's immune responses being down right across the board", most likely its just people are mixing more and probably its evolved.

Stop making things up to scare people.
uziq
+492|3451
except that’s the reason for flu, cold and RSV admissions being up. it is more virulent and more consequential this year.

the blogpost is about strep A. i stand corrected on that. early supposition was that it was in some ways related to schoolchidren and the pandemic. if a virologist says otherwise, i’m happy to be corrected.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Two datapoints don't really mean a whole lot though, there could be a a whole other effect like people being less coy about going to hospital.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/640/cpsprodpb/0C3B/production/_127413130_optimised-weekly_flu_admissions_england28oct-nc.png

Previous years have been far worse than this one is likely to be

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/cpsprodpb/1698F/production/_117595529_a986a9d7-2f78-4ee1-bd35-053dfebe2e10.png

But yeah, we get it, you want to take every opportunity to decry lockdowns, even if you have no data and can't make any actual linkage.

"Lockdowns mean Strep A is worse"

"Lockdowns mean flu is worse"

Nope, you've got nothing.
uziq
+492|3451
ah yes, the reason for more flu admissions this year is because people are 'less coy'. jesus christ hahaha. nevermind that hospitals and the NHS in the UK are widely publicised as suffering massive backlogs in treatment and being overjammed with patients. yes, people are just going to the hospital this year for fun. it's practically a day out.

i'm not decrying lockdowns and blaming them for everything. i was in favour of lockdowns with they had an actual effect and an aim/end in sight. but lockdowns do have knock-on effects to society, which you pretend they don't. economic, social, public health, etc. you seem to think that because you have no life and it was business as usual in The Dilberts' bungalow that lockdowns are no big deal. they kind of are. they are an incredibly blunt instrument.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-63972445

"We are concerned that flu-related hospital admissions have been rising, with admission rates highest among very young children, and we urge parents and carers to get their children vaccinated with the painless nasal spray offered to this group.
admission rates even for the very young and infants is going up for flu-type illnesses.

Last edited by uziq (2022-12-17 01:40:31)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

uziq wrote:

except that’s the reason for flu, cold and RSV admissions being up. it is more virulent and more consequential this year.

the blogpost is about strep A. i stand corrected on that. early supposition was that it was in some ways related to schoolchidren and the pandemic. if a virologist says otherwise, i’m happy to be corrected.
I definitely had rsv twice this year. Never even knew wtf was rsv until now.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard