uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

Covid did come from a lab, various other pandemics have come from asian meat production.

How is that impoverished people's faults?
Why is it my problem?
lots of epidemics or small pandemics have come from american and australian food production, too. nice racism, there.

really this is every bit as illiterate and dumb as you ranting about india's approach to antibiotics ... whilst australia, the UK, the US, et al face the exact same problems with antibiotic resistance and ease of access.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-23 01:51:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
In everywhere except India people can't just walk into a drugstore and buy whatever antibiotics they like no questions asked.
This directly delivers antibiotic resistant viruses which impact humans.

Personally I'd do away with meat farming entirely.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3451
you can literally buy antibiotics without a doctor's prescription in queensland.

the current health minister of the UK is trying to introduce the same thing here.

what the fuck are you talking about?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, shouldn't be happening.

But its relatively narrow, requires a test etc.

A bit different from "I want antibiotics, please fill this bag with all the latest ones"
uziq
+492|3451
requires a test for what? the simple fact is that you can buy antibiotics without a prescription from a retail worker. stop prevaricating. your racism is lazy and inane.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pharmacists are highly qualified in Aus, they're not 'retail workers'.

Completely different from having them on the shelf next to the noodles in a corner shop.
uziq
+492|3451
pharmacies in india are just like in the UK, you need a highly qualified pharmacist in the practice to deal with prescriptions and preparation, but the people working in the shop, on the till, dealing with stock and display, etc, are just that - retail workers essentially. i know this because my mum is a pharmacist and works in a fucking pharmacy.

it's entirely possible to go to a pharmacy and buy medication in the UK (like india) without talking to a qualified pharmacist.

does india have a problem with antibiotic resistance? yes. but so do western nations. i've already detailed at length and given numerous examples of news articles, hospital reports, etc, that attest to this. antibiotic resistance is a problem facing humanity. the USA and australia are notorious examples of places where antibiotics get into the food supply because of the practices of the meat and dairy industry.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
i know this because my mum is a pharmacist and works in a fucking pharmacy
In India?
it's entirely possible to go to a pharmacy and buy medication in the UK (like india) without talking to a qualified pharmacist
Not prescription medicine no.
uziq
+492|3451
once again, a pharmacy worker giving you a prescription is not the same thing as a GP/physician or even necessarily a qualified capital-p Pharmacist.

twice again, the west has very alarming problems of its own with antibiotic resistance, owing to their overuse in many aspects of our society, from healthcare to factory farming.

why you are so incensed about india when australia is struggling with hospital superbugs and unsupervised cattle feeding is beyond me.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-25 04:39:38)

uziq
+492|3451
anyway.

zero covid is going well, according to this diary from a CCP member.

t the end of August, on the same day it was announced that the Twentieth Party Congress would be held on 16 October, more than 1600 cities declared themselves high-risk Covid areas, and more than 1400 medium-risk. As a result, millions of residents were once again locked up in their homes, including the inhabitants of eight cities with populations of more than ten million. Eighty-seven cities declared their change of status within an hour of the announcement. Carrying out the draconian zero-Covid policy was an effective way for party secretaries in these cities to prove their loyalty to Xi. In Hebei, the ‘moat of Beijing’, the local secretary general announced that the province would be cleared of Covid cases within five days. ‘If the goal is not achieved, the party secretary of the city/district/county will be dismissed.’ One district issued a notice to citizens warning that those who refused to co-operate would be punished. In this way, thousands of provincial secretary generals proclaimed their loyalty. Outshining them all was the secretary general of Tianjin, who stated: ‘If loyalty is not absolute, it is absolute disloyalty.’

On 5 September, an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.8 struck Sichuan province, causing buildings to shake in the capital, Chengdu. Local residents, already enduring a lockdown, a heatwave and power outages due to the high demand for electricity, rushed downstairs to find the gates to their buildings locked. A community head sent a warning message on WeChat: ‘Do not try to escape.’ He explained to the People’s Daily that it was safest to stay at home in a lockdown, even during an earthquake.

Guiyang, the capital of Guizhou province in south-west China, has a famous area called Hua Guo Yuan (‘Garden of Flowers and Fruits’), which is home to half a million residents. One evening, a resident uploaded a picture showing two tall buildings next to each other. Hundreds of brightly lit windows in one building stood out against the night fog. The building next to it was in complete darkness. Its inhabitants had been subject to ‘dynamic clearance’, a process in which Covid-positive cases and those in contact with them, including families living in the same building, are put on coaches and transferred to a different administrative zone. The authorities can thus declare that they have realised the government’s goal of achieving zero cases – at least in the area for which they are responsible. Those who refuse to ‘co-operate’ can be detained or fined, and may end up with a criminal record, or be put on a blacklist of ‘untrustworthy persons’, which prevents them from getting bank loans and, along with their family members, from joining the army or the party, or holding jobs in the civil service or other government employment. In these circumstances, no one refuses to be relocated.

For a short time, videos showing the evacuation scenes evaded internet censorship and were uploaded to YouTube. Residents wearing light blue gowns could be seen queuing up quietly in two rows to get on the coaches. They were shown sealed inside the coaches, with the windows locked and the air-conditioning turned off to prevent transmission. People who are being relocated don’t eat or drink for hours because they aren’t allowed to get off the coach to use the toilet. Often their destination is an unfinished building, with walls and floors of bare concrete. One video showed a bathroom with the floor covered in water, and two bricks to step on. The toilet was like an island in the dirty water. A voice on the video said: ‘This is worse than prison. We are not criminals. We didn’t do anything wrong.’

Another video showed the scene in a police station in Guiyang. Dozens of citizens who had been arrested were lined up: each held a piece of paper in front of his or her chest bearing their photograph, personal information and the punishment they were to receive. They had all been arrested because they left their homes without authorisation. A loud voice spoke while the camera scanned their faces. ‘If anyone does this again, the police department will punish you according to the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Public Security and Punishment. If you commit a crime, you will be held responsible. Do you understand?’ Everyone answered that they understood, their eyes visible above their masks, trying to avoid the camera.

On 18 September at 2.40 a.m., one of the coaches transferring citizens out of Guiyang rolled off the highway and down an eight-metre slope. Twenty-seven people were killed and twenty were injured. The passengers, together with hundreds of others, had been put on coaches at midnight with no information as to where they were being taken or why. Almost all of them had tested negative for Covid, but were on the coach because one or more cases had been detected in their community. According to messages sent by the passengers, the bus drivers, who wore protective white gowns, were exhausted due to lack of sleep. Some of the passengers had heard that they were being sent to Libo, a smaller city about seven hours from the capital. Coaches continued to arrive for Guiyang residents even after the crash. There are 38 million people living in Guizhou, and there have been 309 official Covid cases and two deaths in the province since the start of the pandemic.

In Xinjiang, the deputy secretary general of the party committee in Ili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture held a press conference to refute rumours that had gone viral. Was it true that residents locked down in their homes had to hang ropes from their windows in order to get food, throw out their trash or hand over testing swabs? Two volunteers were responsible for that, he said, not the government’s community staff. The two volunteers apologised. Was it true that children suffering from high fevers had not been allowed to go to hospital? The community centre sent staff to see the children, gave them a three-day dose of Lianhua Qingwen capsules (the main ingredients of which are forsythia and honeysuckle) and called an ambulance. ‘Now the children’s condition has improved. Their temperatures have come down.’ Was it true that an old man hanged himself because of hunger while in lockdown? Rumour. The rumourmonger has been severely punished.

Meanwhile, I have made progress with my required study. I have watched the lecture for the ninth course, ‘Knowledge and Practice of Coronavirus Epidemic Prevention and Control under the Normalisation of the Pandemic’. The lecturer quoted Xi Jinping’s speech about the pandemic, delivered on 22 May 2020. Xi’s words appeared on the dark green screen for me to memorise: ‘People come first, life comes first and we will protect people’s lives and health at all costs – General Secretary Xi Jinping.’

7 October
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is China suffering the gross excess deaths which happened under your genius plan - do nothing and carry on travelling and partying?

See that flat blue line? That isn't the axis, that's China's actual numbers.

https://i.imgur.com/OVkwIR1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qHOdNKc.jpg

I'm so glad Britain is doing so well on covid and the economy is really humming, must be the super smart people running the show.

"People come first, life comes first and we will protect people’s lives and health at all costs"

What strange and stupid people, not partying when they could be drinking, staggering around and giving each other covid.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-10-25 05:26:06)

uziq
+492|3451
you seem to have missed the part where the most surveilled and controlled society on earth has failed to manage ‘zero’ covid.

funny how you take their reported stats at face value, also, after years of accusing them of secretly engineering the virus and having secret vaccines on standby or, er, something. i guess it doesn’t vex you when it all neatly suits your argument. china went from posting realistic daily cases numbers to a 'flat line' sometime several years ago, their curves notably and conspicuously flatlined overnight; you never would have given it any credence at the time. but now you're applauding their 'x-axis flat figures'. LMAO. i do love the idea that the place where the virus originated, apparently by their own submitted case figures, never had first or second waves, though. 0 cases per million people in march 2020 – glorious xi is protecting the great chinese people!!!

to think, you continually prate about the need to have people in positions of leadership and power who are super-rational, numerate STEM brains. linking me a chart that reports dead flat case numbers for china throughout the entire 2.75 years of the pandemic. you really are a dumb idiot, aren't you?

and the economic self-harms of pursuing zero covid are still being filtered through the chinese system. let’s see how much human harm and suffering is avoided when their housing sector or something or other topples over because of continued low growth.

or when xi tries to deflect from the mass unrest and dissatisfaction with the ‘zero covid’ policy he staked his name and face upon by invading taiwan. that’ll really put the societal costs and pressures of zero covid into a new light, won’t it?

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-25 06:14:27)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
https://i.redd.it/y2bm1b26tbx91.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
recent tests over last 6–8 weeks have established that the updated boosters from pfizer are 4x as effective at treating current strains as the deprecated original vaccines. give robust protection to the elderly.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/04/heal … index.html

we are essentially into the same epidemiological picture as a (serious) seasonal epidemic like flu. annual, revised shots will have to be distributed effectively to the most at risk. the vulnerable will still be at high risk and will require quick testing, diagnosis, and antiviral/hospital treatment in order to maximise their chances. transmission will still occur, even if the latest and greatest shots do attenuate the transmission factor.

as with flu shots, it will be a yearly effort to actually corral healthy, working-age people into getting boostered up. i always got mine each year for free in the workplace, an NHS nurse would spend a week giving them out to everyone who popped into a spare conference room. this seems an eminently sensible way of getting the main adult population to comply. it hardly needs to be stated at this point that a lot of people, mongs especially, are continuing about their lives now as if covid doesn't exist at all.

i think there's a huge amount of progress to be made on post-covid recovery and 'long covid' studies. we don't fully understand the after-effects and potential sequelae of covid, though it should be said before an alarmist like dilbert claims that's a good reason to shutter society for the foreseeable, that it's the same with many viruses like flu. a generalised immune inflammatory response can have many knock-on effects, highly dependent on the individual. last week a famous cookbook writer or something died at 50, likely from undiagnosed/mistreated after effects of covid. she developed a serious fungal infection (black furry tongue) and her doctor dismissed it. a week later she had a heart attack. that is, naturally, alarming. there needs to be more caution and care taken by people on the recovery curve from a recent bout of covid. again, though: like flu. we already know after decades of exposure that you need to take it easy after a brush with a seasonal illness. running marathons with covid still in your body probably will increase your chance of stroke and heart attack. we need to keep this in proportion.

otherwise the progress of the disease is just as the virologists predicted, and the forecast that i reported here: omicron is the evolutionary top dog at the moment, and a year on all we are dealing with is essentially its many mutant children. some more threatening than others, but all much of the same. it remains a serious illness and people should mask up and take all reasonable precautions, particularly with a view to seasonal waves or waves of infection caused by a new variant. but it's not insurmountable and definitely far, far from a civilization-wide threat at this point requiring lockdowns and pausing of civil society.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-04 21:08:33)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Erm no, covid is clearly more damaging in the long term than flu.
https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2022 … tion-brain

Once again, competent precautions would not mean "pausing of civil society", just a crimp on the things you want to do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
COVID-19 Origins: Investigating a “Complex and Grave Situation” Inside a Wuhan Lab
The Wuhan Institute of Virology, the cutting-edge biotech facility at the center of swirling suspicions about the pandemic’s onset, was far more troubled than previously known, explosive documents unearthed by a Senate research team reveal. Following the trail of evidence, Vanity Fair and ProPublica provide the clearest picture yet of a laboratory institute in crisis.

https://archive.ph/r2LQ4

Seems pretty obvious something weird was going on there in Nov 2019, and the Chinese vaccine effort would have needed to have started in No 2019 or before.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-05 03:28:51)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

big cough

There's a lot to unpack here with your posting that article. Some snipes just for starters (it's 5 am, I don't have time to read it in full yet):

Toy Reid has always had a gift for languages—one that would carry him far from what he calls his “very blue-collar” roots in Greenville, South Carolina. In high school, Spanish came easily. At nearby Furman University, where he became the first person in his family to attend college, he studied Japanese. Then, “clueless but curious,” as he puts it, he channeled his fascination with the Dalai Lama into a master’s degree in East Asian philosophy and religion at Harvard. Along the way, he picked up Khmer, the national language of Cambodia, and achieved fluency in Chinese.
Studied language, philosophy, religion. What a strange pick for your champion.

Second, Vanity Fair is an emotionally loaded publication, and not the most factually oriented (probably bordering Venn space with the likes of Slate and MSNBC). With that in mind, it's funny you'd select that but ignore sources with more journalistic integrity, or actual scientific journals.

Lastly, I can't believe there's a Batman logo on a Senate office. What are they, 80 going on 8? How embarrassing.
uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

Erm no, covid is clearly more damaging in the long term than flu.
https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2022 … tion-brain

Once again, competent precautions would not mean "pausing of civil society", just a crimp on the things you want to do.
what things that i especially want to do are crimped, pray tell?

international flights resumed a long time ago. nightlife resumed a long time ago. it was already demonstrated that countries even with covid restrictions in place can run large events in a safe and low-risk manner. there is literally nothing that i want to do that would be scuppered by a change of tack in covid response. i fucking moved to one of the most seriously locked down countries in the world, dilbert. i volunteered for, and enjoyed, a happy lifestyle whilst following a daily regimen of rules and regulations. you REALLY need to change the record.

flu can trigger inflammation of the brain too, idiot. this is why i specifically said that we need to be careful with dilbert-style alarmism. lots of viruses trigger inflammatory responses, which can have a runaway effect, depending on the individual's immune system and comorbidities.

you link scary-sounding stuff without any real knowledge whatsoever of what you speak. a frequent theme.

Long-Term Neuroinflammation Induced by Influenza A Virus Infection
https://www.jneurosci.org/content/38/12/3060

Influenza virus associated encephalopathy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2082798/

i take it you and everyone you know 'crimp your activities' for 3 months of every year, when flu cases start to peak? after all, wE jUst dNt kNow iF wE mIghT gEt da bRaaiIiiin SweLLinG!!!!11
uziq
+492|3451

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

big cough

There's a lot to unpack here with your posting that article. Some snipes just for starters (it's 5 am, I don't have time to read it in full yet):

Toy Reid has always had a gift for languages—one that would carry him far from what he calls his “very blue-collar” roots in Greenville, South Carolina. In high school, Spanish came easily. At nearby Furman University, where he became the first person in his family to attend college, he studied Japanese. Then, “clueless but curious,” as he puts it, he channeled his fascination with the Dalai Lama into a master’s degree in East Asian philosophy and religion at Harvard. Along the way, he picked up Khmer, the national language of Cambodia, and achieved fluency in Chinese.
Studied language, philosophy, religion. What a strange pick for your champion.

Second, Vanity Fair is an emotionally loaded publication, and not the most factually oriented (probably bordering Venn space with the likes of Slate and MSNBC). With that in mind, it's funny you'd select that but ignore sources with more journalistic integrity, or actual scientific journals.

Lastly, I can't believe there's a Batman logo on a Senate office. What are they, 80 going on 8? How embarrassing.
dilbert is a scientist. he is rational. he is a champion of STEM.

but he ignores multiple large-scale, longitudinal meta-studies on the origins of covid, peer-reviewed and published in top journals.

no, he likes 'investigative journalism' by humanities graduates posted in vanity fair, instead.

you couldn't fucking make it up if you tried. genuinely thick as a plank.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I don't know how long the article focuses on the humanities guy, but it's strange to me that dilbert would even link this (again, a humanities guy) on covid-19 origins. But humanities people shouldn't be in government?

Please make it make sense before I call my doctor to replace my car's transmission.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but he ignores multiple large-scale, longitudinal meta-studies on the origins of covid, peer-reviewed and published in top journals.
All of which were written by people either with a direct stake in the Wuhan lab or who benefit from similar research, none of which prove it didn't come from a lab - a proof which is impossible.
uziq
+492|3451
that's just categorically not true, lol.

you do this constantly.

'everything about drugs or psychedelics that contradicts my personal prejudice was written by DAVID NUTT'.

'all that science research that constructs a plausible picture about covid's origins was written by WUHAN CCP STOOGES'.

are you a scientist or a conspiracy nut?

like it's not even hard to disprove what you say, lmao. you can check the fucking author list on those metastudies that larssen posted. they had nothing to do with the whole furore over USA-China NSF funding agreements. it was separate teams, author lists in the 30+. they all been paid off?

get a grip lmao. it's hilarious.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

All of which were written by people either with a direct stake in the Wuhan lab or who benefit from similar research, none of which prove it didn't come from a lab - a proof which is impossible.
At a glance it looks like Reid (again, a humanities guy) works on an "investigative" team commissioned by a Republican senator, lending his insight to the rest of the Bat-cave that the Chinese language is obfuscated and spooky.

That's probably oversimplified, but come on.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-05 07:17:21)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

"unusual skills!" "hard-earned expertise!" "not just anyone can see it!" so vanity fair.

unusual skill: speaking chinese. lmao

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-05 07:19:32)

uziq
+492|3451

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

At a glance it looks like Reid (again, a humanities guy) works on an "investigative" team commissioned by a Republican senator, lending his insight to the rest of the Bat-cave that the Chinese language is obfuscated and spooky.

That's probably oversimplified, but come on.
a highly partisan senate (read: republican) committee published a 'report' recently on the origins of covid.

it was parti pris, shall we say, to say the fucking least. stretches credulity.

imagine valuing a report issued by the post-trump republican party over a fucking PEER-REVIEWED META-STUDY in a scientific journal!

'they all worked for wuhan lab'.

do you even know how peer review works bro? it's a blind process lmfao. hahahaha. you just can't rescue such stupidity.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard