uziq
+492|3452
it's almost as if there are statistics on deaths that can help us get out of the thicket of personal anecdotes.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

uziq wrote:

it's almost as if there are statistics on deaths that can help us get out of the thicket of personal anecdotes.
dont tell him the death rate is lower than the flu now.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3452
it's the usual dilbert master-stroke.

guy downplayed the effectiveness of the vaccines for a year because the v1, three-year-old vaccine tech requires frequent boosters and now has a negligible effect on transmission. quote, with endless repetitions, 'the vaccines are useless'.

then he pops up with some top-rate analysis of omicron: 'hmm, it's probably actually every bit as dangerous as delta, the virologists are wrong in their assessments, just the vaccines are so good that they're protecting most people's lives'.

it's like dropping a rock into a well and waiting 7 seconds to hear the dull splosh.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-10 02:28:19)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
The point is it hasn't gone away, hasn't been defeated, at this point we're going to need vaccines every three months forever - and we'll still catch a nasty bout of it.

But not to worry, the Indians will kill us with their stupidity first.

India facing a pandemic of antibiotics-resistant superbugs
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63059585

This is actually more serious than Covid - we should wall them in now.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3452
nobody has ever said it has 'gone away' or 'been defeated'.

people have said that, with the treatments available, with frequent boosters, with new vaccines coming on-line, with improved therapeutics and hospital treatments, etc, that we have to consider different ways of adapting and responding to endemic levels of covid-19. not a single epidemiologist has declared the pandemic over or a thing of the past. that's just you, with your field of straw men that you're so fond of.

at this point we're going to need vaccines every three months forever
simply not true either. there are now bivalent/polyvalent boosters being approved worldwide, by moderna et al, that will confer immunity for multiple strains at once. that in-itself is a large leap forward.

antibiotics-resistant diseases are a huge problem in places like america and australia too. factory-farmed cattle are pumped full of them and human beings acquire a susceptibility as a result. pumping cattle full of antibiotics as a precaution is having every bit as large a knock-on effect on our ecology – including us as living beings in that – as mass use of insecticides in crop agriculture, and so on.

this is a non-sequitur in the context of this discussion. the threat posed by omicron doesn't have much to do with antibiotics resistance, dilbert.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-10 03:04:21)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Antibiotic resistance is likely the next pandemic.
uziq
+492|3452
... and it is a huge problem in the US and australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment … g-revealed
Livestock raised for food in the US are dosed with five times as much antibiotic medicine as farm animals in the UK, new data has shown, raising questions about rules on meat imports under post-Brexit trade deals.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n … -superbugs
A lack of transparency on antibiotic use by the Australian farming industry is undermining efforts to prevent superbugs developing and spreading through the food supply, an infectious diseases physician and microbiologist has said.

“There is a lack of appropriate controls in Australia for antibiotic use in food,” said Collignon, who has sat on a number of World Health Organisation advisory committees on antibiotic resistance.

“We know the US pork industry uses four to five times the amount of antibiotics as the industry in Denmark. In Australia we don’t really know, we don’t know which antibiotic is given for which animal and how much.
but sure, let's blame the big dirty indians once again.

is there a single issue facing humanity today, whether it's climate change or antibiotic resistance, that you're not willing to turn a blind eye to in order to exempt your great white civilisation? this is almost beyond parody. australia and the US have BOTH been specifically mentioned at UN-level summits on these very fucking matters. you really are an idiot.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-10 03:06:18)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Indians are dosing themselves with far more antibiotics than makes sense, its literally uncontrolled, anyone can walk into a cornershop and buy whatever they want.
uziq
+492|3452
dude ... westerners are being exposed to antibiotic resistance by eating meat every day. indians mostly don't eat meat, ironically because of those antique and irrational religious beliefs you complain about so much.

there have been countless scare stories and letters of concern about hospital superbugs in the US, UK, and australia. the west, and western medicine, is quickly running out of antibiotics in its arsenal that can counter current hospital bugs. we have been in an arms race for at least a generation – actually, technically an arm's race ever since the invention of penicillin.

https://www.uts.edu.au/news/health-scie … bug-crisis
New research reveals Australia's superbug crisis

funnily enough, the above article mentions in particular a resistant strain of UTI. and meanwhile, this year, queensland went ahead with a trial to let people buy ... antibiotics for a UTI by visiting a pharmacist. no doctor's prescription.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/profes … s-on-pharm

bonggg! sounds a lot like india to me.

DilDorp_Jnr wrote:

Indians Australians are dosing themselves with far more antibiotics than makes sense, its literally uncontrolled, anyone can walk into a cornershop pharmacist and buy whatever they want.
here is a topical review on the topic of superbugs in australia. a pithy read.
https://www.publish.csiro.au/ma/pdf/ma07182

In some Australian hospitals, the rates of preventable, serious and potentially fatal HCAI due to MROs are unacceptably high. The urgent need to address this is at last being recognised nationally, although in some states (e.g. New South Wales and Victoria) where the problems are greatest and have been entrenched the longest, it will not be easy to achieve adequate control. The most important prerequisite is a major culture change with acceptance of responsibility and commitment of resources by health administrators and senior clinicians, and personal accountability by all healthcare workers for best infection control practice (including hand hygiene and antibiotic prescribing)
macbeth was given some antibiotics to pop by his sister when he had a virus. so much for rigorous standards in the great white west. the fact that westerners can afford a wider and more expensive range of antibiotics than rural indians on $300 a year hardly absolves them of the crime of 'needless over-prescription'.

i don't know what it is in your frail little psychology that means every worry on your brow has to blamed on indians or asians. does it make you feel better to answer every threat or concern with 'billions of asians and indians must be killed off', or something? you need to get help.

do you just find random news articles in your daily browsing and get incensed because it mentions china or india? you seem to lack all context and clue as to what the fuck you're talking about. medical professionals in the west have been signalling for years that we are on the brink of a superbug crisis because of our own casual use of antibiotics! for fuck's sake. then you come here and pronounce that india 'must be walled off'. you are a fucking joke lmao.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-10 03:27:51)

uziq
+492|3452
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chem … -gjvfnb6q5

Thérèse Coffey, the health secretary, has pushed to make antibiotics more freely available & has said that she has previously handed out her own supplies of the medicines to friends and family who were feeling unwell"

we need to build a wall around those filthy indians!

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-15 06:01:12)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Maybe my sister was right. Who is a more trust sourced on drugs? Uzique or the health secretary?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

After some short reading, I have to wonder what business Coffey has being health secretary? "Studied chemistry" (why are chemistry students like this?). "Boozed up karaoke parties at the office."

Freely passing out prescription medication is a red flag. It's very concerning when people do this without mind to sensitivities, allergies, or interactions with other medications, at all.

"Here's some antibiotics for a virus."
*gets better without antibiotics doing anything*
"Praise the antibiotics!"

Even those in medicine can make bad decisions. Caving to unreasonable demands from the patient, or even self-diagnosis and writing out their own prescriptions. Sometimes they're even assholes you wouldn't want to dish out any additional power over others to.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, how is a non-doctor getting hold of prescription antibiotics and handing them out to her friends?

Very disturbing for a govt minister to be taking this kind of decision.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I was thinking they were out of her own prescribed meds from her doctor, people do that a lot.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I thought you were being sarcastic about "how could she possibly get a hold of them," like er, through a prescription.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Since when do people have spare "supplies" of prescription medication?
uziq
+492|3452
antibiotic courses are always given for 10/15 or sometimes even 30 days. you need to take a full course to fully extirpate the infection. they're designed that way very specifically.

many eejits, seemingly like the UK health minister, take them until they 'feel better' and then keep 1.5 blister packs spare. these are then doled out to friends or put in the home medicine cupboard 'for later'. they don't realise that you always have to take a full, comprehensive course each time, or you're just fucking with your own immune system and microbiome.

i suspect a big factor in this special brand of stupidity is that 2–3 of the most widely used antibiotics, e.g. metronidazole and tinidazole, cause a violent reaction to alcohol. you literally cannot drink a single unit of alcohol when taking them without becoming seriously ill and deliriously drunk. so many people aren't keen on sticking to the prescribed course for 15 days: it's effectively an injunction against having a social life or fun for weeks. hence the spares.

but i thought it was just the Indians and we need to put a wall around India because Indians are especially stoopid and inferior and reckless?

i guess me pointing out to you that superbugs and antibiotic resistance are pressing issues in the UK, US and australia wasn't good enough for you. you need the weekly news churn! a little link on BBC news! something to get angry about in 400 words, instead of all those tedious hospital medical board reports and scientific journal articles!

on that note:

https://i.imgur.com/i4J5Yks.jpg

why are white people like this?

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-16 02:40:11)

uziq
+492|3452

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Maybe my sister was right. Who is a more trust sourced on drugs? Uzique or the health secretary?
every single healthcare professional in the world will tell you that handing out antibiotics just about one of the worst things you can do, in terms of long-term health goals, tantamount to freely writing scrips for highly addictive opiates. not a single pharmacist or general physician would approve of what your sister is doing. especially giving out antibiotics for a fucking virus, 'just in case'. just in case what? for the secondary pneumonia you acquire at the point of death? let the hospital staff deal with that and tell your sister to read up on her fucking ethical code.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Since when do people have spare "supplies" of prescription medication?
Medications are often abandoned when people start to feel better regardless of instructions. Some people begin collections of unfinished prescriptions fairly shortly after being prescribed their first medications. An old woman's purse full of drugs is an old meme. Options include to hording, chucking, chucking properly, or becoming an illegitimate pharmacy. I have turned down prescription medications in the past, offered out of private coffers.

So yeah, assuming she just got them how other people get them: by asking her doctor.

e: zeek beat me to it

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-10-16 04:24:33)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

antibiotic courses are always given for 10/15 or sometimes even 30 days. you need to take a full course to fully extirpate the infection. they're designed that way very specifically.

many eejits, seemingly like the UK health minister, take them until they 'feel better' and then keep 1.5 blister packs spare. these are then doled out to friends or put in the home medicine cupboard 'for later'. they don't realise that you always have to take a full, comprehensive course each time, or you're just fucking with your own immune system and microbiome.
OK, this person is just too stupid to be in govt then, definitely not health secretary.
uziq
+492|3452
nice to see you row back on your dumb and contextless comments about indians and their antibiotics.

funnily enough, “this person” has a PhD in chemistry. she’s one of the STEM masterminds you want in government. i know you’ve already googled that and are keeping schtum. because if she had ‘oxford’ by her name and a humanities degree, we all know you’d be making the same diatribe.

just fancy that: STEM PhD’s aren’t automatically genius ministers in control of their briefs. a chemist can be illiterate about medicine and pharmacology - which are directly adjacent disciplines. and you’re telling us with your engineering masters that you know everything.  

think it’s time you changed several records dilbert. do you have a multi-CD player in your car?

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-16 16:23:07)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I'd like to once again point out that many STEM people I've talked to or listened to when this stuff comes up stress that they themselves aren't geniuses (some may cite being poor students when they were at school), and don't feel confident providing "concrete statements" on matters outside their own expertise, even closely adjacent, even if just a different area of more or less the same field.
uziq
+492|3452
in my experience it’s only engineers of a particular stripe who have this arrogance. ‘we are problem solvers and our job is really so hard’. i’ve never met an astrophysicist or quantum gravity expert who thinks they are philosopher-kings that could run society.

it’s almost a forgivable arrogance when you see it in the ‘insecure virgin redditor’ format. everyone needs their little identity at that larval stage in life. but dilbert is middle-aged. and we are still weekly discussing how worthy/unworthy people are based on … their undergraduate degrees. LMAO.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

It was definitely present in IT courses, the atmosphere of superiority. Attitudes not promoted by the professors, but not discouraged either. One of the (many) reasons I got out was the ladder of toxic computer people ahead of me. Maybe I could have wormed my way up into a cozy corporate position, but at what cost.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard