SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
"China Virus" was as unsubtle and lame as you can expect from people who wear MAGA hats as a political statement. I liked Wuhan Flu but stopped using that once it became clear Trump was trying to deflect blame for his attempt to kill blue state people onto China.

I try to not feel so sanguine whenever I hear MAGA people die of COVID even knowing they were cheering when COVID ripped through the NYC housing projects early on. Hell of a show that was.

https://youtu.be/WSJk7G4cWEU
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

That song was basically the darth vader theme of the show back when it was OK.

It's (nearly) impossible to not see the irony if a virus denying antivaxxer dying of the virus. Imagine how confusing it is to be one of those people with your compatriots dropping like flies around you.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-25 14:32:14)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
It is one thing to not get the vaccine. It is another to make an identity out of not getting it. Reminds me of the part of the Bible that tells you to not pray in the streets but to do it privately instead. If you want to roll the dice on dying of COVID go for it I guess. But don't make a show out of it. I feel like that is tempting fate.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

There may be some mixed messages in the Bible on that. "Go and tell."

I support antivaxxers and COVID deniers making a show of it. I would like each one to be in a T-shirt with that stuff on it so I know exactly who to avoid.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Most people only do things so they can tell someone else about it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
another edgy teenager opinion. well done.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thank you.
uziq
+492|3450

lmao this chinese totalitarian lockdown system is really going so well.

just think, if they'd actually widely employed effective vaccines, none of these draconian measures and civil outrage would be necessary.

what was the death rate from omicron again in a vaccinated population? 0.1%?

much better to skip the vaccines and re-enact world war z, instead. people scaling 2 metre fences to escape the killer contagion.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-26 09:14:07)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Once you get to dilbert's age, stuff like being carded for beer is a compliment.

zeek, people are going to see the 19xx on your id and not even read the rest.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I guess North Korea announced its first ever COVID outbreak?

Er.
uziq
+492|3450

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Once you get to dilbert's age, stuff like being carded for beer is a compliment.

zeek, people are going to see the 19xx on your id and not even read the rest.
not even sure what this was about. i still get ID'd almost every week. i look very young.

and, yes, things must be bad in DPRK if they're actually admitting to a covid outbreak, for once. perhaps a prelude to formally requesting humanitarian aid. like china, their vaccination rate is woeful (going on non-existent), particularly in the elderly and vulnerable.

it's almost as if ... strict lockdowns ... are a stop-gap measure ... and vaccination ... is the answer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Probably one of those things where I logged in to reply and leave it in the wrong thread? Happens every couple years or so. I'm not going to page through this one to see if it was here. There was a convo to this effect somewhere anyway. Joke is, all they'll have to do is see you were born in the last century.

I was carded regularly into my late 30s. I barely drink, but I do favor runs every now and then while grabbing groceries.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

it's almost as if ... strict lockdowns ... are a stop-gap measure ... and vaccination ... is the answer.
Good lord, do we really have to do this again?

Closed borders are the answer.

Obviously you have a different and ignorant perspective given how thoroughly Britain failed to achieve anything - mostly through lack of intelligence or effort.

This is what happened here:

https://i.imgur.com/DEvZKdM.jpg

My state did even better - we had sensible precautions and business as normal, until vaccines saved the day.

https://i.imgur.com/MszZ1QN.jpg

what was the death rate from omicron again in a vaccinated population? 0.1%?
Well this is a great example of why people should be made to study maths at school, not airy-fairy subjects with no testable output.

If a virus has 50% mortality and 10 people catch it its not really a problem, except for the 5 people who died.

If a virus has 0.1% mortality and 60,000,000 people catch it then 60,000 people will die and its a fairly big problem.

Not forgetting the remaining unvaccinated people, who maybe can't be vaccinated for whatever reason and/or are immuno-compromised, or are just old.
Lets say 5% of the population, 3,000,000 people, a 0.5% mortality -> another 15,000 deaths.

Bottom line is you don't give a shit, you think you'll be OK and if other people have to die so you can enjoy your life thats OK.

75,000 deaths in the UK alone, not a worry because you want to travel and party.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-05-13 00:18:36)

uziq
+492|3450
the world's public health experts disagree with you. it is simply not good policy to lockdown 99.9% of the healthy and robust population, or even 95%, indefinitely, with no end or release in sight, for the sake of the vulnerable. that isn't how public health policy works for ANY number of infectious diseases which, in the vast majority of the population, can be perfectly mitigated against using vaccines, antivirals, and medication. it is NOT a solution with any longevity or staying-power; it is precisely only feasible in emergencies and for short periods.

of course everyone who dies of covid is an avoidable tragedy. but avoidable at this stage because we need newer, up-to-date vaccines and a wider distribution of medication. not avoidable because the other 99.9% of the population should still be staying in, giving up all semblance of a life (economic or social), to shield the immunocompromised.

time and time again you've accused me of callousness. i myself have an extremely immunocompromised close family member (more than one, in fact). advocating for relaxed measures isn't some hedonistic pursuit. i have never travelled to a beach resort to party; i relocated my entire life, including my working life, to another country; a fixed place of abode. you trying to construe things as if all i want to do is listen to psytrance on a beach in goa and bury myself in worldly pleasures is laughable. i have known the stomach-knotted tension and stress of shielding relatives who could very easily die of covid. many family acquaintances and people at my brother's home have died of covid, whilst all the while we were not allowed to visit or see him for MONTHS at a time. i know the agony associated with lockdown and the worry associated with relaxing measures. i still think relaxing measures is the only sensible and prudent thing to do at this point.

and the world's public health experts agree with me. taiwan, new zealand, south korea ... show me one 'model' country who also haven't opted for what i've said? good job mate. it's just you and the chinese at this point.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-13 00:43:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lockdowns =/= Closed borders

Its not my fault the rest of the world failed.
Most of them didn't even try.
uziq
+492|3450
yes, every single nation on earth failed, probably even including your new and surprising posterchildren, the chinese, assuming that now you rather self-servingly take all their reports and statistics at face-value as tokens of ultimate truth, etc. etc.

how odd. the entire world failed to contain delta+ variants.  must be because humans are really stupid.

you know what's really, really smart? a movie written by the beavis and butthead guy. yeah. idiocracy. i've seen it all!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I am sick. I have a cough. I took a home COVID test and it was negative. Still feel awful.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You have the bat flu, sorry
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

yes, every single nation on earth failed, probably even including your new and surprising posterchildren, the chinese, assuming that now you rather self-servingly take all their reports and statistics at face-value as tokens of ultimate truth, etc. etc.

how odd. the entire world failed to contain delta+ variants.  must be because humans are really stupid.

you know what's really, really smart? a movie written by the beavis and butthead guy. yeah. idiocracy. i've seen it all!
I've never taken any reports by the chinese at face value.
But the fact is they have been working on bat viruses for around 20 years and I expect they know more than you
My guess is they know human immunity isn't possible.
uziq
+492|3450

yes the evil genius chinese have found out that humans can’t develop permanent immunity to quickly mutating coronaviruses and rhinoviruses.

nobody outside of shady research facilities in wuhan have had this insight! we can’t cure the common cold!!!!

read a fucking book, honestly.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

You have the bat flu, sorry
Wasn't cute in 2020 and still isn't cute. Unhelpful nickname. Not a flu (we've been over this with jay until he ragequit bf2s), still unconfirmed origin afaik.

COVID-19, while similar to a coronavirus found in horseshoe bats, isn't found in horseshoe bats. I wonder what full impact your pet joke is having on bat conservation efforts. Will it be remembered in similar vein to the Jaws effect? Or the Jame Gumb character, past deeper psychiatric analysis, poisoning an already sour public perception of transgender individuals?

Bad enough "China flu" provoking acts of violence against Asian people.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-05-13 12:58:42)

uziq
+492|3450
But the fact is they have been working on bat viruses for around 20 years and I expect they know more than you
also didn't you spend literally half of this year accusing fauci of being 'in on it' once it was established that plenty of western, namely NIH, funding money goes to GoF research in places like china? 'the chinese have been working on coronavirus research in top secret for 20 years!' LMAO

virologists at places like the francis crick institute know perfectly well how coronaviruses work. that's how about half a dozen different western pharmaceutical companies could develop a highly effective vaccine in rapid time, dum dum.

the key is in developing vaccine technologies beyond our current capabilities, and which can respond well to highly mutative viruses that change so often. it's a constant arms race (against nature, that is, taken metaphorically, dipshit; china aren't literally trying to engineer killer colds to defeat the west). the silver bullet, as you have raged about here with insipid regularity before, is in developing a vaccine that can disable a highly infectious coronavirus-type illness's transmissibility, i.e. to even stop asymptomatic/healthy people from passing it on. we simply don't have that level of understanding or technical capacity yet; which is kind of why gain-of-function research is even a thing in the first place ... dun dun dunnn.

you really have a quite skewed vision of the scientific understanding of this topic. talking about 'a single data point', lmfao. there are literally 10,000s of articles on sars, sars-cov-2, h1n1 swine and avian flus, etc. we know very well how coronaviruses/rhinoviruses work. they're not novichok-level items of state secrecy. you fucking idiot.

like how frazzled and paranoiac is your reasoning, when you see china now struggling with omicron, the mildest wave of covid yet seen, having to shut down their major world-cities and risk widespread popular dissent and revolt ... and conclude that they have a next-level understanding of the virus that we in the west don't have? lmao. remember 2 years ago when you were sure that their 'no cases' news meant they have a 'secret vaccine ready and waiting'. jesus christ you are hopeless on this topic. fucking consistently hopeless.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-13 19:40:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Chinese have been working on bat viruses with and without western help for many years, not sure why this is news to you.

I don't remember saying they had a vaccine, the exact opposite IIRC. It seems likely the virus escaped before the vaccine was ready.
If they'd had a vaccine Wuhan wouldn't have been a problem for them.

At this point I would expect they know a vaccine is either a very long way off or essentially impossible.
uziq
+492|3450
At this point I would expect they know a vaccine is either a very long way off or essentially impossible.
'they know' ??? the difficulty of designing a vaccine for fast-mutating coronaviruses has been common knowledge in virology for ... erm, decades.

flu kills millions of people every year. flu vaccines are notoriously tricky to develop and need to be updated, year-on-year.

you're talking as if the chinese have some sinister 'insider' understanding of covid. lol. the entire virological community has been paying plenty of attention to flus and sars-type viruses in recent decades. there's nothing secret or next-level about china's understanding of covid. that they have virological labs in places like wuhan doing gain-of-function research isn't evidence of some malevolent mastery of the subject. western institutions have shared funding and research with the wuhan lab ffs.

you sound seriously frazzled.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-16 03:22:26)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, China is open and honest about what it knows and doesn't know.

A lab run by the People's Liberation Army can be trusted to share any information it has.

uziq wrote:

The Chinese internet model is the one the rest of the world should adopt

uziq wrote:

We can trust the Chinese to be open and honest about COVID and its origins
I think you've spent too long inhaling Chinese industrial fumes TBH.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard