SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3709
I wonder how many people in that thread even know the difference between HIV and AIDS.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3441
japan opening borders and removing quarantine from march.

so i guess the question is: do i get drunk in kyoto first? go partying in tokyo? perhaps go on a walkabout around osaka without wearing a mask?

dilbert, any ideas? i'm going to visit a farm with foot and mouth disease before i leave.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3709
You think people are going to look back at their actions during the early pandemic the same way many are embarrassed of their actions after 9/11?

Blue states are ending mask mandates. Vaccine mandates are going to fall before November too. Most people are done. I took the whole thing seriously enough but don't enforce mask mandates at work. I hangout without a mask at the work cafe. I will get another booster when the time comes. Otherwise I am ready to move on.

Also, it is interesting the a lot of right wingers seem to think that liberals are deathly afraid of COVID still. The only long term effects on my behavior is probably keeping hand sanitizer at my desk and in my car.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6761|PNW

Tissue boxes on your feet, Christmases with your parents.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6095|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

the immune system never forgets how to make the antibody. it’s the ambient levels that drop off over time, making you susceptible to reinfection and a renewed inflammatory response. your body doesn’t keep a massive supply of antigens in your blood supply for every illness you’ve ever caught. idiot.

you really should learn the basics of immunology before you start saying you can ‘identify dozens of things to go wrong’ with mRNA, apparently against the better wisdom of the actual virologists who have made it their life’s work. you evidently don’t even know the purpose of T cells as keepers of long-term ‘memory’. your immunity to reinfection is not the same thing.
Not really much use having a memory of how to make antigens and then not doing it.
Strange that a tetanus vaccine is good for ten years but covid vaccine is waning after four doses and three months?

Once again, this is the first time mRNA vaccines have been used, we'll find out the long term effects and the effects that affect the unlucky 0.5-1% of people who have a reaction in 10-30 years.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

japan opening borders and removing quarantine from march.

so i guess the question is: do i get drunk in kyoto first? go partying in tokyo? perhaps go on a walkabout around osaka without wearing a mask?

dilbert, any ideas? i'm going to visit a farm with foot and mouth disease before i leave.
Why are you obsessed with travel?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6761|PNW

People riot and do violence over stuff like masks and vaccines. You'll never get a populace in most situations to comply with endless restrictions much more severe than the mask-wearing that people already whine endlessly about.

Get vaccinated, get a booster. Wear masks where it makes sense or is requested. Don't cough on the back of people's heads in grocery store lines. Stay home if you got

https://www.shutupandtakemymoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/the-symptoms-simpsons-corona-virus-meme.jpg
uziq
+492|3441

Dilbert_X wrote:

Strange that a tetanus vaccine is good for ten years but covid vaccine is waning after four doses and three months?
you really are thick as shit.

tetanus doesn’t mutate often. coronaviruses do.

‘straaaaaaange’, isn’t it? i’m sure you’ve spotted a flaw in mRNA virology that the experts who have made it their life’s work haven’t.

it’s amazing. you don’t know the basics of the immune system and you think it ‘strange’ that the covid pandemic is a different beast to tetanus or … leprosy. 

it’s beneath comment.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-17 00:39:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not the mutations though, the fact is covid vaccines aren't all that effective and wane rapidly.
uziq
+492|3441
it is precisely the mutations?

covid vaccines are highly effective, especially in their class, i.e. compared to other coronavirus treatments and flu-type vaccines?

the reasons they have become drastically less effective is because they're v1.0 vaccines addressing v5.0 strains of the pandemic?

vaccines are still highly effective if you have been boosted recently and have those high ambient levels of antigens in your bloodstream. they're not well-tailored or highly efficient, no, for that we will need an updated vaccine more specifically targeting the strains prevalent today. but they are still capable of achieving remarkably good results via a 'brute force' method, i.e. frequent booster top-ups.

not ideal, no; but massively life-saving, yes.

look at the death statistics during these last two waves with the two latest strains. measurable difference in widely vaccinated societies to societies pre-vaccination.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 … 161300.htm

"The mRNA vaccines, including the booster shot, are very effective, but effectiveness declines over time. Our findings suggest that additional doses may be necessary to maintain protection against COVID-19, especially for high-risk populations," said study co-author Brian Dixon, PhD, MPA, Regenstrief Institute and Indiana University Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health director of public health informatics.

Overall, the study reported that individuals with second and third doses of an mRNA vaccine had greater protection against hospitalizations (severe disease) than against emergency department/urgent care (ED/UC) visits (symptoms which may not require hospitalization). Vaccine effectiveness was also lower overall during the Omicron period than during the Delta period.

"Our findings confirm the importance of receiving a third dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine to prevent moderate-to-severe COVID-19 illness, especially among those with comorbidities"
amazing how illiterate you are. always retreading the same basics.

covid isn't tetanus.
vaccines work.
dune is sci-fi.
uziq
+492|3441
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl … d-immunity

A previous infection with SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 vaccination can provide immunity and protection against future illness.

A new study has compared the level of immunity afforded by a previous infection with the protection provided by a COVID-19 vaccine.

The results suggest that COVID-19 mRNA vaccines are around five times more effective at preventing hospitalization than a previous infection.
but mRnA vAcciNeS are UseLesS
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
That article says nothing about mutations being the problem, it says vaccine effectiveness wanes quite quickly irrespective of mutations.

uziq's article wrote:

Vaccine effectiveness against ED/UC visits declined from 97 percent within the first two months of receipt of a booster to 89 percent effectiveness at four months or more during the Delta-predominant period (summer/early fall 2021).

During the Omicron-predominant period (late fall 2021/winter 2021-22), vaccine effectiveness against ED/UC visits was 87 percent during the first two months after a third dose, decreasing to 66 percent at four months after a third dose.

After the third dose, protection against Delta variant-associated hospitalization declined from 96 percent within two months to 76 percent after four months or longer.

Vaccine effectiveness against Omicron variant-associated hospitalizations was 91 percent during the first two months declining to 78 percent at four months.
Seems initial effectiveness against each variant is about the same and wanes at about the same rate.

the reasons they have become drastically less effective is because they're v1.0 vaccines addressing v5.0 strains of the pandemic
Not according to the article you quoted yourself.

This is literally the fucking title
Study shows waning effectiveness of third dose of mRNA vaccines

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-02-17 01:22:08)

uziq
+492|3441
you are literally hopeless. you do realize what's happening during those time periods, right? the VIRUS THEY ARE PURPORTING TO TREAT IS MUTATING.

the continued rate of decline over time tracks precisely with the increased mutation/progression of the pandemic.

it's clearly the implication: boosters still work at topping up levels in the short-term, but they aren't as effective as against earlier strains. 'same initial effectiveness'? what? it literally shows a measurable decline with each new variant. lmao. like -5% at least.

in any case, if a booster provides FIVE times better protection than a recent recovery from the disease ... how are you going to call that 'useless'?

coronaviruses are highly mutative. to freak out that you're going to need annual top-ups of some kind is inane. IT IS NOT TETANUS. you can catch cold and flu every year too, you know. does this cause you to go into meltdown?

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-17 01:35:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Did you even read it? Effectiveness against specific mutations wanes over time.
uziq
+492|3441
what is 'specific' mutation? if you catch the omicron strain and get reinfected 4 months apart, you do realize it's not the exact same virus, right?

anything tracked over time is implicitly also tracking a changing virus, you fucking idiot.

covid-19 isn't leaping from one greek alphabet letter to another like a pokémon going through its forms of evolution.

https://i.imgur.com/uaImLQI.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, so vaccines are pointless, you convinced me, thankyou.
uziq
+492|3441
vaccines are measurably highly effective at keeping you out of hospital and stopping you from dying.

their 'effectivity' will wane over time and we will have to play catch-up. it's a constant process. like with flu, where we produce new vaccines every year.

if you've been topped up that year, or for that latest resurgent season/wave, the vaccine will protect your life. it's as simple as that.

the fact the vaccine you took 2 years ago isn't effective anymore doesn't junk the whole point of vaccines. some viruses mutate often; other's don't.

'why isn't this vaccine working like the rabies shots? it's useless!'

you sad, sad little twerp.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6761|PNW

Why are we even talking about tetanus? That's a bacterial infection.
uziq
+492|3441
for the same reason apparently that covid should play along with comparisons to AIDS, the plague, leprosy.

because dilbert feels like it and wants to spend his entire evenings arguing endlessly back-and-forth about medicine, a subject he is signally unqualified to discuss.
uziq
+492|3441
one of the funniest things about dilbert’s character arc through this pandemic is how much his essential position now resembles a joke ending strand from deus ex.

there’s literally an ending in which everyone is encouraged to ‘live in villages’ forever, start over the global order and accept being ruled by an elite made of engineers.

this was satire in the first gen of PC gaming.

here’s an adult man on a 15 year old video game forum unwittingly basing his entire worldview on edgy cyberpunk noir concepts from the 1990s.

are we literally inside a simulation?!

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-19 05:13:48)

uziq
+492|3441
queenie has covid. charles and camilla the lunk gave it to her, no doubt. it's a palace coup. like something from hamlet or macbeth.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

one of the funniest things about dilbert’s character arc through this pandemic is how much his essential position now resembles a joke ending strand from deus ex.

there’s literally an ending in which everyone is encouraged to ‘live in villages’ forever, start over the global order and accept being ruled by an elite made of engineers.

this was satire in the first gen of PC gaming.

here’s an adult man on a 15 year old video game forum unwittingly basing his entire worldview on edgy cyberpunk noir concepts from the 1990s.

are we literally inside a simulation?!
The sad part is I'm right on all this.
uziq
+492|3441
literally every single administration in the world, with the notable exception of china, disagrees with you.

all the world-leading, much-lauded, highly laurelled nations are reading the data on omicron and ... reopening their borders, relaxing measures, abandoning quarantines.

why would so many experts who have got so much, so right, all at once, in concert, make such a huge mistake?

is it like with mRNA? where dilbert, CAD engineer, has spotted an error with the technology that every virologist has missed? did they forget to carry a nought, perhaps?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
all the world-leading, much-lauded, highly laurelled nations are reading the data on omicron and ... reopening their borders, relaxing measures, abandoning quarantines
Yes and Britain plans to not detect the next variant. Omicron is bad enough and killing enough people.
All the health professionals I'm hearing are saying this thing is far from done. We're on wave six, why is everyone assuming this is the last?

why would so many experts who have got so much, so right, all at once, in concert, make such a huge mistake
Are these the same people who decided dicking around with gain of function research was "worth risking a pandemic" and then caused it?

is it like with mRNA? where dilbert, CAD engineer, has spotted an error with the technology that every virologist has missed?
Unless virologists can see into the future 30 years they can't say there is no unforeseen risk.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6761|PNW

Again.

The cost of unvaccinated COVID is already in high-resolution. Not just the death, the permanent damage, long covid suffering, generational traumas, the general mayhem of other medical issues put on the fatal backburner because too many unvaccinated (and mostly unvaccinated) covid patients are presenting at hospitals and taking up beds.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard