unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Being able to minimize COVID hospitalizations seems really friggin' important. There are other health problems in the world that require the services of hospitals. A great human tragedy already being suffered in non-corona cases that are worsened by delays, or just too late for effective intervention.

It's hard not to think about stuff like that when an antivaxxer with a bunch of stuff strapped to their face asks their followers to pray for them while they take up a hospital bed.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Meatloaf was an antimasker. Died of COVID.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Being able to minimize COVID hospitalizations seems really friggin' important. There are other health problems in the world that require the services of hospitals. A great human tragedy already being suffered in non-corona cases that are worsened by delays, or just too late for effective intervention.

It's hard not to think about stuff like that when an antivaxxer with a bunch of stuff strapped to their face asks their followers to pray for them while they take up a hospital bed.
That is true, the priority should be killing covid ASAP

Here hospitals were functioning normally until the govt let it rip.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-01-21 21:22:39)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Also anti-vax, oops.

The late rocker Meat Loaf was outspokenly anti-vaccine mandate and anti-mask before his death —  once telling a reporter, “If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled,” according to reports Friday.

The 74-year-old “Bat Out of Hell” singer —  who was reportedly critically ill with COVID-19 before he passed away Thursday — was opposed to pandemic restrictions, slamming lockdowns and mask mandates during an interview last summer.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/21/meat-loaf … -covid-19/
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Would do anything for love but won't do the jab
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Apparently the fourth booster is fairly useless

https://healthpolicy-watch.news/israel- … effective/
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1484 … 65832?s=21

Breaking News: Pfizer and Moderna booster shots were extremely effective in preventing those infected with Omicron from being hospitalized, new CDC data shows.
But did nothing to prevent transmission.

I've read two books and read articles by multiple health professionals which say vaccines help but ending transmission is the only way out of this.

Omicron is clearly not the end. the variant after Omicron is likely going to tell us which way this is going to go, its probably fermenting in an African AIDS victim right now.
did those books explain to you natural selection?

it’s impossible to suppress transmission of a global pandemic, especially of highly transmissible respiratory illnesses.

did your brainiac books give any case studies or examples of when a disease with tens millions of new cases a day was cut to zero by human effort?

how do you propose curbing transmission? remind me what cancelling flights will do, again, to stop the 400,000 daily new cases in france?

the virus mutates and varies almost every time it hops from one person to another. there are already dozens of minor established variations on omicron. you better have a good plan to drop the infection rate WITHIN australia before you start going on about indian’s on planes and backpackers.
uziq
+492|3422

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1484558300133965832?s=21

Breaking News: Pfizer and Moderna booster shots were extremely effective in preventing those infected with Omicron from being hospitalized, new CDC data shows.
wear an n95 then dumb dumb
also next gen mRNA vaccines will be much better at preventing transmission. they did for the early strains of covid.

but remember, it’s an unimaginable tragedy that we have to take an updated vaccine every year or two. it’ll be just impossible. especially with those antiviral pills in the mix too. what a hassle! taking pills AND going to the local docs every 12 months? what, do i have cancer? HIV? it’s much better to run society on low-power mode for the next 5 years.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-22 00:28:35)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

wear an n95 then dumb dumb
also next gen mRNA vaccines will be much better at preventing transmission. they did for the early strains of covid.

but remember, it’s an unimaginable tragedy that we have to take an updated vaccine every year or two. it’ll be just impossible. especially with those antiviral pills in the mix too. what a hassle! taking pills AND going to the local docs every 12 months? what, do i have cancer? HIV? it’s much better to run society on low-power mode for the next 5 years.
society should just stop everyone has a sneeze. cant have anything transmit!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

stop voting liberals then lel.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Killing covid would be nice, but zero covid strats are a failure. There's a laundry list of things people can do to reduce spread (masks, social distancing, contact tracing, etc., etc.), and keeping up to date on shots right now is very important and will be important for covid, the flu, and a battery of other stuff for the foreseeable future. Majority of COVID hospitalizations are unvaccinated. Get vaccinated. Oi.
uziq
+492|3422
when covid is only a threat to the unvaccinated or very elderly/frail, i have no idea why it should be 'public health top priority' at all.

vaccination, antiviral pills, and hospital treatments will make covid a non-issue for 99% of people.

all resources should be focussed on those who are indeed susceptible to it. make wiser investments, deploy better resources. stop wasting time and indebting the next 3 generations on wasteful schemes, costly lockdowns, and ridiculous industry shutdowns that now achieve nothing at all, in comparison to the triumvirate of vaccines/antivirals/therapeutics that we now have at our disposal.

this paragraph from the public health professor stands out:

This is part of a larger question about how much we continue to alter what “normal” social relations are, given the circulation of Sars-CoV-2. Humans are social: we need to hug, dance, sing and recognise each other’s faces and smiles. A sense of community and connection are vital to wellbeing too. Public health is not about one disease; it is broadly about wellbeing, which includes mental health and being able to pay the rent, feed your family, stay warm through winter and have a meaningful role in society.

Slowing the spread of Sars-CoV-2, even stopping it completely in certain countries, helped save lives. It allowed two transformative antiviral pills to be made available. It allowed doctors to develop better ways of treating patients, and to understand what we’re facing. It allowed a better understanding of transmission and risk.

But now, two years into this pandemic, we need to find a better way of living alongside Sars-CoV-2 using the tools we have. We have created ways to minimise the impact of Covid-19. And now is the time to start to recover and heal as a society and move forward, treating this virus like we do other infectious disease threats.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Remember that Jay thinks we came around to his way of thinking. Jay, who attended COVID parties while vaccines were just a twinkle in the eye.

Jay: "we must care for the elderly," two years after "you want the world to crumble so you can spend one more Christmas with your parents.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Has that actually been confirmed beyond speculation? TMZ says yes but a lot of other articles I've seen aren't sure. The Wikipedia entry hasn't even been updated with cause.

What's funny is that there's a bunch of conspiracy theorists going on about "another booster boy?" "must've been the covid booster!" "anyone notice how people are dying a lot lately? It's the booster." Er, Meat Loaf was an antivaxxer.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Escaped monkey previously bound for a lab has had a few of imaginations firing up. Really does have the vibe of one of these disaster movies. Collision scatters crates of lab animals all across the highway, in the spirit of how a lot of these shows start. It's my understanding though that they were caught and on the way for quarantine fresh from the airport. Still, doesn't seem like a very secure way to transport non-native species that might be carrying disease transmissible to humans.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZTg1Mzk1NjAtNGFlOS00NzdlLWI0NTgtYzlmNTUzZGQ0NjYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UY1200_CR72,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

People heard that the CDC showed up or something and are thinking that this is something huge and that there are layers upon layers of stuff being covered up now. TL;DR with the type, attempting to steer a conversation in a reasonable direction can is futile. If sucked in, you're doomed to a rant about Fauci, WHO, CDC, and lab geeks who only know beakers and petri dishes or whatever (?). Big old blind spot for the anti-science Republican COVID deniers, as usual. Still stuck in 2020.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-01-22 19:54:40)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Found on social media anyway,

https://i.imgur.com/we56I42.jpg

One of the best memes, particularly juicy when repurposed for someone digging up and relocating an ancient sarcophagus. "Put it back" in the comments.
uziq
+492|3422
rumours and fanciful stories have much bigger ‘transmissibility’ than facts. it’s actually a studied phenomenon in sociology. trying to counter anti-vaxxers is sometimes like playing whack-a-mole. it’s very rare that someone who is suspicious will be disabused by facts or reassured by studies.

it’s why i’m so contemptuous of dilbert. when pressed on the topic he will keep oozing the same vaguely antivax sentiments. ‘we don’t even know their long-term consequences!’ do you have any idea how many times this little bit of rhetoric has played out? rumours about unintended long-term consequences have played out in french schools about HPV vaccines and in latin america over hep b treatments. guess what? both types of vaccine totally safe as understood by science.

a huge data set was released this week. 99.5% of all people to die from covid in the last 6 months in the US were unvaccinated. that is just a STAGGERING statistic in any disease situation. it’s black and white. at this point trying to shut down society for the sake of antivaxxers or those who are too vulnerable to take an mRNA vaccine is INSANE. and yet dilbert will keep talking about how ‘vaccines are useless’ and ‘don’t do anything without travel bans’. when closed borders and grounded planes have demonstrably done NOTHING to stop the spread of omicron to every single country. amazing.

rumours and salacious half-truths are just more interesting to these people. antivaxxers cannot be countered by facts. it’s an odd phenomenon. the pandemic or ‘big pharma’ or latterly ‘special pleading virologists who shouldn’t be trusted’ become shadowy receptacles for all of their grievances about society.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-23 03:42:35)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's ample 'measurable result', nations largely free of COVID even with omicron.
omicron now community spreading in NZ beyond detection. cluster picked up with no linked cases to any border crossing.

is this the measurable results you were talking about? new zealand will have 1000s of uncontrolled cases by early february.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Just think, if the world had done the right thing in a timely manner this thing would never have got to omicron.

Fast forward 23 years:

uziq wrote:

Don't worry, the Alpha-Kappa-Phi variant is bad but there's a vaccine around the corner which will fix it, carry on travelling and partying
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's ample 'measurable result', nations largely free of COVID even with omicron.
omicron now community spreading in NZ beyond detection. cluster picked up with no linked cases to any border crossing.

is this the measurable results you were talking about? new zealand will have 1000s of uncontrolled cases by early february.
the last australian holdout of WA, land of hard borders and covid 0 strategy had 24 omnicron cases today. government admits it won't be able to contain it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Just think, if the world had done the right thing in a timely manner this thing would never have got to omicron.
if my grandmother had wheels, she would've been a bike.

WHO shouldn't have banned taiwan.
uziq
+492|3422
just think, 24 years ago people were designing and taking vaccines for flu which don’t work today. it’s astounding.

just think, we have never had a pill or antiviral treatment available for flu. nothing ever with any effectivity at preventing sickness.

imagine complaining about taking 10-15 minutes of a day once every year or so to get a booster. the local health services bring in the flu jab to my place of work. literally get flu boostered every year whilst waiting for something to print or photocopy. or for the kettle to boil.

what a doomed future !

by the way, the average global pandemic lasts 3–5 years. aren’t you yourself encouraging the day when covid is endemic? now you’re moaning that there will still be a need to vaccinate in two decades? you’re a confused chap, aren’t you?

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-23 02:51:42)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

this is also a funny way of admitting that your travel bans and border fetishes do precisely FUCK ALL. you’ve been insisting for this entire omicron wave that closed borders will do the trick.

go and refresh yourself on the timeline. it’s so fucking funny how much you revise your position and then end up, EVERY TIME, back at this hopeless, 'yes, but do it again and let's do it better this time', 'they didn't do exactly as i said', 'all these administrations are idiots', ‘damn china, let’s start a war’ posturing.

you were rubbing your hands with delight when israel totally closed all international entry. when france banned flights from the U.K. ‘but uziq, why are all these countries doing this if it makes no difference, tell me that! hue hue hue!’

within 14 days of both of those dilbert-endorsed policies, israel had untraced community transmission of omicron. in quick time france started posting its biggest ever numbers. half a million cases a day!

isn't it funny that all these countries you applauded one minute, including the much-celebrated list of 'zero covid' success stories, and which have been feted for 2+ years for their 'world leading' pandemic response, are now either trying+failing to continue zero covid or intelligently pivoting to something else, à la 'living with covid'? isn't it funny that all these world governments with so much expertise/experience, and who did so well, are now, in your view, big dumbie idiots who don't know what they're doing? did they all have a HR change or something?

and still you kept insisting ‘it has measurable results in many countries’. a little vague in naming the countries. china has no fewer than about 10 major cities under full lockdown - let’s say more than the entire population of australia’s worth - and they’re still detecting omicron in further, apparently unlinked cities. new zealand has untraced omicron. taiwan has omicron. south korea has omicron. WHERE ARE THESE MEASURABLE RESULTS?

There's ample 'measurable result'
W H E R E? we are only +1 month into omicron and i can't see any good results anywhere. it seems to me your beloved closed borders and total travel bans didn't even buy most places, e.g. israel, 10 days of omicron-free grace period. the omicron wave has already peaked and is receding in many countries that didn't use border controls, ironically.

i’m not surprised that a live-at-home manchild has problems admitting when he’s wrong. being mommy coddled for one’s whole life is tantamount to a serious psychological and emotional impairment.

but let’s just make this clear: you’re wrong and you have nothing to say.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-23 06:06:47)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Reddit comment on an article about an anti-vaxer dying
I'm an ER RN so not all my patients have covid, but a good deal of them do. I've been told I'm going to die (because I had the vaccine), I've been yelled at, I've had people threatened to fight me, countless rants about how masks don't work. The threats and rants are usually after I ask them to wear their masks while wandering around the floor. But the worst part is, I can't talk to my own family about what I've experienced. They believe the vaccine is poison and that I deserve the assaults for infringing on people's freedom. "This is what you signed up for" is a direct quote from my own father. My in-laws are at least polite about covid disinformation and have been vaccinated, but so many people around me act like I'm a moron when I tell them what covid is really like. It's so disheartening to deal with all the added stress at work, only to be gaslight by the majority of people in my life, who supposedly love me, just not enough to wear a mask.
uziq
+492|3422
america has lost its mind.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

help

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard