Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6122|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

dilbert you still seem confused that viruses mutate and vaccines have to play catch-up.
No, its what I've been saying all along, vaccines alone are nothing like enough.

yes, you’re going to have to get a vaccine booster for the foreseeable future. possibly for the rest of your life or until mother nature throws us some lucky hands. get over it.
Great, really looking forward to this.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3468
dilbert your average person (should) spend more time and effort each year on basic dental care. getting boostered 2-3 times a year is really the very most trivial of inconveniences.

just shut up with your constant whining already.

remember what this pandemic felt like when there was no medicine, no available remedies, and no clear indication there ever would or could be? fast forward 24 months and you’re moaning that you have to get refresher jabs to top-up your 90%+ immunity to the disease.

and, once again, we’re still in a comparatively weak position in the current vaccine lifecycle! the next gen vaccines will be much better.

No, its what I've been saying all along, vaccines alone are nothing like enough
just to be clear here, what you’ve been saying all along is complete unscientific claptrap, pouring doubts on the reported safety and efficacy of vaccines. turns out they really do work and they work supremely well, almost unprecedentedly so in this category of illness.

nothing about the current situation or latest developments exonerates your position. nada. you’re still basically way out on the fringe still talking about ‘unknown consequences’ and acting dubious.

b b b b b uwuuuuuu wah wah wahhhhh

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 17:27:23)

uziq
+492|3468
that vaccinated people are getting it multiple times suggests we might not ever achieve herd immunity at all and we'll all get it over and over - this is not good news.
uhm being exposed to a very mild version of the illness which keeps your immune system in good condition with a constant supply of corona antibodies is literally one of the best possible outcomes at this stage.

covid is never going back into its box. the only way it will vanish into the background hum of the universe is precisely if it evolves itself out of a threatening category – or if we find the tech to achieve a comparable level of immunity. spanish flu eventually subsided for the same reason, duh. it didn’t abate because we used global lockdowns and permanently closed state borders.

of all possible future directions, as in, the virus mutating into a genuinely stronger form and catching a second wind, i much prefer the one where covid means a sore throat for 3 days and then 6 months of a fighting-fit immune system should one encounter the rarer, nastier strains.

omicron is still killing people
figures or citations please. in every country posting actual figures, it is killing a tiny amount of people. even less than the first wave of covid. show me your figures that establishes omicron as a highly concerning variant

and we'll all get it over and over - this is not good news.
want to know why south africa had so little serious illness and deaths during their omicron wave? because so many south africans had been getting sick over and over with covid!!! jesus christ how clueless are you. their levels of vaccination were nowhere near high enough to promote general immunity.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 17:32:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

covid means a sore throat for 3 days and then 6 months of a fighting-fit immune system should one encounter the rarer, nastier strains.
Except there's no real evidence of this at this point.

'Fighting fit' people are getting long covid.

90%+ immunity to the disease
Except apparently 90% immunity was a myth, we'll still get it, just a bit milder.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
Even if this variant is an order of magnitude less deadly than a previous ones, the scale of infection means we run the risk of many deaths.

Which is more? 2% of 100,000 or .1% of 1,000,000?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3468
what are you talking about there’s no real evidence? every single study published in the last month strongly suggests that omicron is the mildest variant yet. there’s no evidence to the contrary you dipshit!

90% was not a myth. we saw it in response to delta and i now with omicron too. why do you make up this stuff. honestly? read some scientific papers for once.

breakthrough infections have always been a factor. vanishingly small in the first wave (as the vaccines were designed for it), but increasingly common as the virus changes. mRNA is better on this score than traditional vaccine tech, but it still happens.

the point being that breakthrough reinfections with a mild variant is no bad thing anyway. want to know the best trigger for antibodies response, much better than even fancy mRNA instructions? getting infected and overcoming a covid infection.
uziq
+492|3468

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Even if this variant is an order of magnitude less deadly than a previous ones, the scale of infection means we run the risk of many deaths.

Which is more? 2% of 100,000 or .1% of 1,000,000?
it doesn’t work that way. had this with larssen several pages ago. if it’s not the same disease with the same character/progression, it’s not reasonable to just extrapolate the numbers like that. it’s not ‘just a numbers game’.

doesn’t apply in the US anyway.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
Lets at least give it another week or two before we start declaring this variant is an improvement on where we are at.

https://assets.penguinrandomhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/19164100/2400x2400-PRH-ArticleV2.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

what are you talking about there’s no real evidence? every single study published in the last month strongly suggests that omicron is the mildest variant yet. there’s no evidence to the contrary you dipshit!
Omicron is putting people in the ICU! Dipshit!

90% was not a myth. we saw it in response to delta and i now with omicron too. why do you make up this stuff. honestly? read some scientific papers for once.
Except people all over who are double and triple vaccinated are getting infected - 90% my arse! Dipshit!
uziq
+492|3468
… infected with a totally harmless case of the disease because of said vaccines.

do you really think widespread vaccination is supposed to eradicate covid? it won’t. it will save lives. that’s the best we can hope for it.

if omicron is putting people in ICUs, it’s doing it in a funny way. the level of ICU admissions in london over the last week has dipped, even taking into account the time lag. the ICU levels are lower than last year, despite cases being a whopping 120% higher. and the majority of those people in ICUs are totally unvaccinated. so uuuuum … ? sure, seems incredibly dangerous.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 19:12:14)

uziq
+492|3468
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … Delta.html

only a handful of australian ICU cases are omicron.

Just 0.1 per cent of Omicron cases in NSW are in ICU and 0.3 per cent in Victoria
scary stuff!

Only one patient has died with Omicron in Australia, a man in his 80s with underlying health conditions who caught it in his Sydney nursing home.
holy shit! one old guy! shut down everything! the vaccines are useless asffhhhhh£))(()2!!!!

it’s amazing that you have the temerity to throw around the term ‘evidence’, disputing dozens of studies from dozens of countries on recent vaccine/booster effectivity; then you argue that omicron is laying waste to australia and ‘putting people in ICUs’ to a worrying degree. with those numbers above.

you’re a joke. take a pill you hysterical eunuch.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 19:23:39)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
An awful lot of omicron cases in hospital though, and as we know, it takes at least a few days for this thing to develop to needing ICU.
This thing has barely kicked off, those figures are already six days out of date, well done.

I'm sure improved treatment practices are also a factor.
uziq
+492|3468
no, that’s totally wrong. the profile of hospital visits for omicron is VERY different to previous strains. hospital duration of stays are MUCH shorter. average time 2-3 days. not people in hospital for 2 weeks and slowly dying.

you really don’t know what you’re talking about. maybe read some of, you know, the scientific evidence you keep talking about?

I'm sure improved treatment practices are also a factor.
what are you talking about? our practices haven’t got any better since, say, delta. which is still causing severe illness and is still deadly. the lesser nature of hospital visits for omicron are almost certainly to do with the fact it doesn’t infect the deep lungs anywhere near as much. it’s evolved into a throat infection ffs, as ample scientific evidence is starting to attest.

From the year to September 12, ICU rates were at 2 per cent, but this has now dropped to 1.1 per cent.
wow, look at that. australia’s cases are exploding but the ICU rate is down. and here you are telling me that your ICUs are filling up with omicron. they’re not. they’re full of unvaccinated people with delta.

hush now.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 19:36:03)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Still not seeing how letting covid escape so we get it multiple times a year whether or not we're fully boostered every three months is really a good idea.

I mean, I don't really care if old people die either, but other people could die too and the burden on the health system is already enormous and could still be 10 times greater.

None of this directly affects you so you're right, its not important.
uziq
+492|3468
i’ve always said the burden on the health system is enormous this winter. it’s a problem requiring more medium term solutions if we are going to regain normality in the next few years. meaning more investment and planning for ‘living with covid’, as we surely must.

i don’t know why you always make this about selfishness. it’s inane. you’re worried about your parents and i’m worried about my brother. that’s enough. shut the fuck up now. neither of us are ‘directly affected’ by the looming threat of personal harm. get over it dilbert.

australia has 2200-2400 ICU beds. at the current rate, 1 in 1000 people seems to get severely sick with omicron. call it 2.5 in a 1000 seeing as you like the worst news. you do the math on how many rolling cases per month you could tolerate of omicron before society collapses. dumkopf.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 19:52:24)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Glad to know that you don't care if old people die. You're in good company with Jay, dilbs. Should I add that to the list of things you wouldn't bat an eye at if put into camps, like handicapped people, jews, roma, blacks, indian cab drivers?

Get more Australians vaccinated.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Adding to that, 50 is ancient in the minds of 20yos. Dilbert, unwittingly a part of his own "burden-on-society" demographic.
uziq
+492|3468

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Glad to know that you don't care if old people die. You're in good company with Jay, dilbs. Should I add that to the list of things you wouldn't bat an eye at if put into camps, like handicapped people, jews, roma, blacks, indian cab drivers?

Get more Australians vaccinated.
it's still not even clear to me on a utilitarian basis what exactly justifies the 'all of the young and healthy must shelter indefinitely to save the retired' thing. in a short-term emergency and a situation which is spiralling out of control, of course, shutting down society is the emergency-brake that we desperately need.

but why is it 'selfish' for your average working parent, or a 21 year fresh graduate, or a schoolchild, to mention their own interests, their own disrupted lives, their own suffering health, mental as well as physical, etc, in year 3 of the pandemic? why is it selfish for them to ask for an exit-strategy or clear plan? living under restrictions with remote learning, WFH w/ childcare, frequently closed small businesses, economic ruination, etc, indefinitely is a big ask when you cannot elucidate an actual strategy. IS it selfish at this stage for working-age or young society to start asking questions about the sacrifices they're making, when we seem to be stuck in an infinite loop or groundhog day?

without sounding too coldly ratiocinative, isn't it selfish for the least productive members of society, economically, socially, reproductively, etc, speaking, to keep asking for the rest of society to remain in permanent limbo so that they won't get sick? especially those who refuse stubbornly to get a vaccine despite clearly being at high risk, as years of data has amply confirmed.

an old person is 10,000x more likely to suffer serious illness or death than a 20-something. we need to discuss this rhetoric of the 'selfishness' of the youth. the people who seem most selfish to me, now, are the unvaccinated middle- and old- aged people. they will be the ones putting pressure on the hospital system and demanding life-saving care when their own idiocy lands them in an emergency. young people have 'done their bit', despite being basically at zero risk of harm themselves, for 2+ years. that sounds pretty selfless, to me.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-05 03:25:06)

uziq
+492|3468
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ … d-strategy

severe lockdowns in china sound absolutely dystopian. and they're stlll not working. how long until one of the most patriotic and collectivist societies on the Earth themselves start asking questions about this strategy? it's already happening on their social media platforms.

Strict lockdowns in the Chinese cities of Xi’an and Yuzhou are taking their toll on the population and healthcare systems, according to residents, with complaints of food shortages and dangerous delays in accessing medical care.

Xi’an, a city of 13 million people, has been under a strict lockdown for nearly two weeks, while Yuzhou’s 1.2 million residents have been ordered to stay inside since Monday evening, after three asymptomatic cases were discovered. Public transport, the use of private motor vehicles, and operation of all shops and venues not supplying daily necessities have all been suspended.

On China’s strictly monitored and regulated social media platforms, a significant number of residents have posted about their concerns and anxieties, despite generally broad support for authorities’ swift response to outbreaks.

[...]

Reports of food shortages in Xi’an have also flourished on social media despite promises by authorities to deliver supplies to homes, and claims of neighbours bartering cigarettes and personal belongings for food.

“I have only received free vegetables once so far, and one package per household,” said one resident. “The price of food in the city is very high, and there is no one to regulate it. There is no take-away service for daily necessities, and the errand fee is about 100 yuan ($15) before someone takes the order.”

The strict rules have also prevented people from coming and going. Sixth Tone reported authorities had arrested several people trying to evade the blockades and return to villages without quarantining, including a man who cycled 100km (60 miles) through mountains, and another who swam across an icy river.

Authorities have conceded there have been issues, including poorly prepared centralised quarantine facilities where tens of thousands of people have been sent.
this sounds like an actual living nightmare. and this hugely costly strategy, effectively living in a city turned into a massive prison ward, doesn't even work. china have had repeated outbreaks of delta, and omicron is an order of magnitude more transmissible. all of this disruption to life for an incoming strain that puts 0.1-0.25% of people in ICU? it's insanity.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The Omicron surge threatens to upend any sense of peace in the nation’s education system.

After a holiday break that saw Covid-19 cases spike unrelentingly, a small but growing list of districts — including Newark, Atlanta, Milwaukee and Cleveland — moved temporarily to remote learning for more than 450,000 children.

Districtwide closures, even those that last for a week or two, are a step backward after months in which classrooms largely remained open.
And there are signs that some unions are becoming more resistant to in-person teaching. Members of the Chicago Teachers Union are preparing to vote on Tuesday on whether to refuse to report to schools starting the following day. The union, which has repeatedly clashed with Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s administration, had demanded that every student be tested for the virus before returning from winter break, a step the district did not take.
On Monday, it became clear that the testing effort had largely failed. Of 35,590 tests recorded by the district in the week ending Saturday, 24,843 had invalid results. Among those that did produce results, 18 percent were positive.
The balls on the Chicago teachers union is legendary but good God the political choices it sometimes makes.

Just have to see what happens in NYC. New mayor who vowed to keep schools open.
They did it.

The Chicago Teachers Union voted to teach virtually rather than in the classroom, triggering a cancellation of classes Wednesday which the school district leadership warned would happen if the union vote passed.

CPS, the third-largest school district in the country, resumed in-person learning Monday in conditions union leaders described as unsafe as the Omicron virus variant sent Covid-19 cases soaring around the country.
The union held an emergency meeting Tuesday evening to hold the vote by its delegates (elected union leaders for individual schools) on virtual teaching and then poll its 25,000 members electronically. The vote was 73% in favor of the remote-work-only job action, the union said on Twitter.
The kids lose again.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

A few points,

We can help the young and old people by getting more old and young people vaccinated, helping to reduce the number of serious hospitalizations due to COVID-19. I imagine in better times beds could have been saved if people were more serious about their flu shots. I know adults who haven't had one of those in years. Wide array of reasons. "I never get sick" or "it gives me the flu," or any number of the regular anti-vax stuff.

All that talk in 2020 about how the old people should tie on a kamikaze bandana and go work the McDonalds kitchens for the sake of corporate welfare was just fucking insane. Some of the people on about that were probably waiting for someone else to go do it first, too.

A lot numbers of households are multigenerational. Even if the old folks did ThE NoBlE ThInG like was suggested, they'd be bringing COVID-19 home to their adult children, and maybe grandkids too. On the flip side, young people will be (and have been) bringing COVID-19 home to their parents. Like, vaccinate your families, man. Literally our big guns right now that they're available and haven't made people grow twelve eyes and an extra pair of mandibles.

I haven't been following all of the recent pages, but I don't grasp what the point was in bringing up how he didn't care if old people died. Er, yes, being old sucks even more for being sick? I'm probably missing some context that I don't feel like reading.

IMO, the weird focus I've seen on covid as "the old person's virus" sweeps how devastating this virus was(is) to people who are not, well, old neatly under the rug, not to mention your reduced chances as an unvaccinated.

Not that any of this is a good argument in favor of devastating measures that aren't meant to work in the long term and currently have pitiful forecasted efficacy and little expected compliance anyway.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3736
I read Dilbert's "old people will die so what" as obvious sarcasm. You guys assume the worst.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Does dilbert do sarcasm that isn't related to springs or his former job? A lot of his stuff here has been about dirty indians spreading covid everywhere or whatever, or the latest antichrist shenanigans of the jews. It can't all be sarcasm.
uziq
+492|3468

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I read Dilbert's "old people will die so what" as obvious sarcasm. You guys assume the worst.
i know it is sarcasm. that's why i told him he's not the only person with vulnerable loved ones. his attempt to make everything about 'selfishness' or, worse, 'personal lifestyle', is one of the biggest weaknesses of his thinking. like jay, he can't reason on any political or social issue beyond the immediate province of the end of his own nose.

"the petro-economy? stop buying from shell petrol stations!"
"global warming? well i don't eat meat, so."
"covid? it's simple, stop buying tickets to party in thailand! we can fix this easily, nobody else in the world minds covid lockdowns, look at perth ... etc."

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-05 03:39:00)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

*the end of his swollen liver, given enough drug abuse.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard