Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Should I be worried about the new COVID variants? There is a British, South African, and now Brazilian variant. They said I should wear two mask now too.

Is this just fear mongering? It feels like it.
Based on TV news infographics my cat has concluded the coronavirus is about the size of a football, slow moving and easily spotted and avoided.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

The US CDC finally mandated a negative test within 3 days or proof of recovery from the illness in order to enter the US. Almost a year later...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Basically Britain is run by Eton and Oxbridge gimboids who were too dumb to just copy Australia
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55757790

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-26 17:35:50)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
News reports are out regarding a COVID fertility decline. People sheltering in place don't just spontaneously create kids. Who knew? Interesting fact is that this fertility decline is on top of the Great Recession decline that we never fully got out of. What this all basically means in that in all advanced economies of the world, the political system has made something as fundamental as human reproduction increasingly too difficult. The population totals of the west is held up only by immigration instead of natural growth. You don't need to be a Nazi to realize that isn't sustainable.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The EU unveiled its plans to tighten rules on exports of coronavirus vaccines produced inside the bloc on Friday amid fears some of the doses it secured from AstraZeneca could be diverted elsewhere.

The measure could be used to block shipments to many non-EU countries and ensure that any exporting company based in the EU will first have to submit their plans to national authorities.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-30/ … a/13105718

OK So the British - now outside the EU - have to be good european citizens and share the vaccine with Europe - bad luck if Britain doesn't get the vaccines they were expecting, but the Europeans don't have to be good world citizens and share the vaccine with the rest of the world - bad luck if the ROTW doesn't get the vaccines they were expecting.

I'm not even sure how the 'European Government' or whatever they think they are think they have this power.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And here is the contract, not sure what "best reasonable efforts" means

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco … /ip_21_302

“Reasonable best efforts” is a level down from the top end of the scale and is generally perceived as requiring substantial efforts be exerted in the process, but that a party would not ultimately be required to take any actions that would be commercially unreason- able under the circumstances.
Seems open to interpretation.
Don't forget a team of the 1000 finest legal minds in europe wrote this contract.
Larssen
+99|1887
Dilbert, you've obviously never been part of a contract negotiation and you've proven time and again you're not remotely capable of reading and understanding nuance. Let alone legal texts or arguments.

Regardless of what you may feel there isn't a client in the world that wouldn't be furious if a supplier promised to deliver X amount of product in Y timeframe, a multi-million if not billion euro order mind you, and not just fell short but came back with the message that he's falling short for over two thirds of the promised amount.

Well now hundreds of millions were invested up front to help smooth out production kinks. Time for astrazeneca to open the books and show what they were doing. The argument that they first had the same production issues in the UK won't fucking do - this is a coordinated multinational that apparently can't apply lessons learned from one facility to the next??
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You'd think non-delivery penalties would all be set out in the contract eh, not "we'll try our hardest"
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto
Contract negotiation works like any other negotiation--you have to recognize what bargaining power someone has due to power asymmetry.

In this case, it is obvious that if governments put in non-performance penalties, the drug makers would say "lol, ok, we got like literally every other country in the world looking for a deal with us, so like, nah bro, we got other options. We'll send notice if we want to come back to the table".

That's why it's called "negotiating a contract."
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So we're agreed, the EU signed a bum contract.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

So we're agreed, the EU signed a bum contract.
Yes.

A crappy deal is better than a no deal in a situation where you have no choice but to take a suboptimal path?

What are you saying Dilbert? They should have not signed and let everyone die from COVID-19? What type of principled stance is that? Do the principles matter if you're dead? Would the public be happy you decided for everyone else that the principle of rightness mattered more than the imperitive of self preservation?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Larssen
+99|1887
The contract is under belgian jurisdiction where I'm unsure which way the outcome of a legal battle would swing. More importantly I think you underestimate the position of the EU-as-customer. I hope we can all understand it's in Astrazeneca best interests not to sour relations with the block and that it would be best served looking for an arbitration outside the courtrooms.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-30 05:35:00)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto
Larssen, these are nuances to the power balance that are good to consider, but I think too complicated an analysis for Dilbert to understand that sometimes suboptimal choices are the only path forward.

I agree--there is a lot more going on than the EU being completely powerless. There is the long-term relationship. There is the buying power created by bargaining as a block. There is the preferability of first signing deals with customers with good credit and deep pockets.

We'd risk imploding this forum if we had to set out these nuances.

EDIT - BTW, that was always what Uzi tried to do in 1 post, and then he'd freak out when people didn't spend 30min considering his essays and responding to each point like for like. Which, btw, if you did do he would devolve into appeals to authority and ad hominem attacks--the thoughts put down initially were as deep as it ran.

Last edited by Pochsy (2021-01-30 05:42:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I find it hard to believe the EU couldn't have drafted a better deal, it seems Britain did.
Now Europe wants AZ to renege on deals they made with other countries in exactly the way they're complaining about AZ 'reneging' on the EU, its bizarre.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5542|Toronto
Until you read the contract and understand the compromises at the negotiating table, all you can do is place faith in the negotiators that they did the best job possible with the limited power, time, and resources they had.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well it seems they didn't and are now trying to bluster and bully their way out of it with breathtaking hypocrisy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Latest from Western Australia - A security guard at a quarantine facility has tested positive, WA had 10 months since the last case.
And he's also been working as an uber driver - awesome. At some point you'd think the govt would wake up.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Australia has the worst security guards.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thousands of ultra-Orthodox mourners have gathered in Jerusalem to attend the funeral of a top rabbi, in breach of Israel's coronavirus regulations.

Rabbi Meshulam Dovid Soloveitchik, 99, died on Sunday following months of ill health after contracting Covid-19.

The country is currently under a third national lockdown, but police did not intervene to disperse the crowd.

The scenes sparked backlash from deputy prime minister Benny Gantz ahead of a vote to extend lockdown rules.

"Millions of families and children are locked in their homes and abide by the rules while thousands of Haredim crowd the funeral, most of them even without masks,"

A police spokesman told local media: "I won't go and confront 20,000 people because I'm not capable of it"

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/5554/production/_116744812_hi065452848.jpg
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-55879745
Amazing, its as if they want to die.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Nothing new.
Larssen
+99|1887
well I suppose that's like a roadsign against fundamentalist religiosity. The worst PR they could possibly give themselves.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

via imgur:

I worked in the Property Management Industry for apartment homes for about 10 years.

A woman walked into my office, and I could clearly see she had been crying for some time. Her eyes were swollen, and red. I could hear the absolute terror in her shaky voice, as she explained she cannot pay her rent because she lost her job.

Every property management company is well aware of this Memorandum, preventing evictions to those affected here: https://public-inspection.federalregist … -02243.pdf

I gave her this link so she can be aware of her rights as a tenant. I felt so inclined to help. Because I try my best to be an excellent person always.

Said woman turned in this document, and she was saved from eviction, because if you don’t turn in this document, you will be taken advantage of. Your rights are being manipulated by companies telling employees to not share this information.

She thanked me, and praised me to my boss for saving her and her family from eviction, and having to be homeless if she were to be evicted. I was fired the next day for subjecting the company to something that EVERY tenant has a right too know.

I never knew I would be punished for doing the right thing.

Eat The Rich.
Let The Hunger Games Begin.

Hold your GME Stonks

Viral Edit: Well, if anyone has any positions open, I’ll gladly send you my resume. I need a job now!
fun stuff
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Larssen wrote:

well I suppose that's like a roadsign against fundamentalist religiosity. The worst PR they could possibly give themselves.
I suppose, but fundies are hardly the only type of group that's been gathering in large numbers since 2020 kicked into overdrive. I would call it more of a human problem than a Jewish problem.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
When will you stop wearing a mask in public? The mask help protect against things like the cold, flu, and pollution. In retrospect masking should have been acceptable before this whole thing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard