uziq
+492|3450
cannot believe you want to argue with the definition of a 'spectacle' now after trying to make out that cambridge analytica are a 'rhetoric school' for the last 2 days. give it a fucking rest.

anything that is a SPEC-tator sport consists of SPEC-tacles. jesus fucking christ. the global popularity or viewer figures doesn't have anything to do with it. it brings people together from all over the world and is a much watched, much talked about thing. tennis tournaments are a spectacle just like wrestling tournaments or boxing matches are a spectacle.

don't disagree with you that bending rules for sports stars is stupid. sports in particular being highly aerosolizing and physical activities, they're not exactly low-risk affairs. chartering dozens or hundreds of flights to bring people from every corner of the globe to the same court complex or hotel is not smart, either.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Yeah probably the first three rows at a tennis match would get infected.

Its a relatively small spectacle, that was my point.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
a small concert, a football match, and cheltenham races were enough to set the UK on fire last spring.

a rule-breaking church congregation, a single starbucks, and a single nightclub were enough to cause a wave in south korea.

you don't need a world cup final-scale spectacle for it to be dangerous.

i mean, what are you even arguing about? 'this tennis tournament is outrageous grrrr. oh but it's not actually a very big spectacle, cricket is much more popular and a much better sport actually'.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Hardly anyone cares about tennis, what was the point of holding it was my point.
Larssen
+99|1886
The formula 1 teams have managed to travel the world without many infections. It can be done with enough testing and team discipline.
uziq
+492|3450
tennis grand slams are major events, just on the television/cable rights alone. these events don't make their money through attendance figures dilbert. they're huge sponsorship marquees.

grand slam events bring in major viewing numbers. probably willing to bet more people watch tennis globally than test cricket.

Ben Stokes' Ashes heroics saw Sky record its highest ever audience for one day of live Test cricket. A peak of 2.1 million UK viewers switched on as England levelled the Ashes in dramatic fashion.13 May 2020
In 2018, it acquired a total cumulative television reach of approximately 26 million on BBC and 29.42 million on ESPN.
Broadcast viewing figures of The Wimbledon Championships in 2018, by channel and event (in million)
can you put aside your petty 'my sport is better than your sport' stuff now? literally nobody gives a fuck.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

The formula 1 teams have managed to travel the world without many infections. It can be done with enough testing and team discipline.
lmao wtf. the world's most famous formula 1 driver literally got sick with covid.
Larssen
+99|1886
Yes, but considering some 3000 people travel around in formula 1 there have only been a handful of infections that have been handled properly. One of those being hamilton. All things considered they're doing alright.

The dakar rally is also underway without too many hitches so far
uziq
+492|3450
well, considering the rates of infection in africa i'm not too surprised about dakar. people don't really congregate for that in the same way, do they?

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-18 03:44:32)

Larssen
+99|1886
It's held in saudi arabia these days. They stopped doing the paris-dakar route in the early 2000s due to militia activity and terrorism sadly. Never recovered.
uziq
+492|3450
oh, that's news to me. shows how much i follow motor sports.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

tennis grand slams are major events, just on the television/cable rights alone. these events don't make their money through attendance figures dilbert. they're huge sponsorship marquees.

grand slam events bring in major viewing numbers. probably willing to bet more people watch tennis globally than test cricket.

Ben Stokes' Ashes heroics saw Sky record its highest ever audience for one day of live Test cricket. A peak of 2.1 million UK viewers switched on as England levelled the Ashes in dramatic fashion.13 May 2020
In 2018, it acquired a total cumulative television reach of approximately 26 million on BBC and 29.42 million on ESPN.
Broadcast viewing figures of The Wimbledon Championships in 2018, by channel and event (in million)
can you put aside your petty 'my sport is better than your sport' stuff now? literally nobody gives a fuck.
I already said I don't care about cricket.
uziq
+492|3450
ok well use your head and think about why a televised spectacle with audience figures in the tens of millions might have a pressure or incentive to go ahead.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It might bring in some money, I doubt the risk-benefit calculation was ever actually done.
Larssen
+99|1886
In an already dreary pandemic letting the public keep their bread and games may be a prudent idea. Just need very careful organisation these days.
uziq
+492|3450
Nearly a third of people who were discharged from hospitals in England after being treated for Covid-19 were readmitted within five months – and almost one in eight died, a study suggests.

The research, which is still to be peer-reviewed, also found a higher risk of problems developing in a range of organs after hospital discharge in those younger than 70 and ethnic minority individuals.

“There’s been so much talk about all these people dying from Covid … but death is not the only outcome that matters,” said Dr Charlotte Summers, a lecturer in intensive care medicine at the University of Cambridge who was not involved in this study.

“The idea that we have that level of increased risk in people – particularly young people – it means we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

There is no consensus on the scale and impact of “long Covid”, but scientists have described emerging evidence as concerning. According to recent figures provided by the Office for National Statistics (ONS), a fifth of people in England still have coronavirus symptoms five weeks after being infected, half of whom continue to experience problems for at least 12 weeks.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 … arge-study
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

My county is projecting to roll out vaccines to the general public in "spring 2021". Hopefully that means by May, which means I and my family need to dodge covid for 4 more months. Definitely doable.
Larssen
+99|1886
Current projection here is that there will be enough vaccines for everyone by august, but that's without factoring in possible delivery delays or delays in regulatory green light for new vaccines.

We're doing well so far but the stock is running low at the moment. Hope pfizer picks up the pace soon and the production upgrade isn't just BS. If all goes well we should have 70% of the population vaccinated around may.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-18 11:27:15)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bad news is the virus is mutating fast and exposure or vaccination might only last 6-12 months, and they're only 50-90% effective at the outset.

Handled properly each outbreak can be brought to heel in about three weeks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-19/ … s/13066306

Meanwhile Britain has the worst death rate in the world.
I feel sorry for the people dying and the NHS having to deal with this shit.

https://i.insider.com/5d396c43454a395fbb60a953?width=1200&format=jpeg

Well done chaps, I guess you'll have something to talk about over G+Ts in the club at least.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-18 14:56:55)

Larssen
+99|1886
Duration of vaccine effectiveness is not known yet, these are all guesstimates. The mRNA types are also a completely new technology. And to the producers' credit 90%+ effectiveness is apparently a pretty big deal.
uziq
+492|3450
"only 50-90% effective at the outset". lmao 'only'?

you do realize we've been using flu vaccines with 'only' 50% effectivity for decades, right?

a 90% effective vaccine is a literal moonshot scenario. science could not have delivered a better result for a coronavirus-type emergency, especially in 12 months.

really do not understand people who expect us to eradicate this thing like polio or something. it's a different beast and even 50% vaccine effectivity is a very significant breakthrough.

britain had the worst mortality rate for 2 weeks of january after the new mutant strain took off, yes. not the absolute worst death rate in the world. please use statistics properly.

international comparisons of this sort are very difficult and tendentious because every country is using slightly different measures and record keeping. the best true picture filters down from 'excess deaths' figures, 3-4 months down the line. of which, yes, the UK is keeping some pretty awful company near the top of the table, too.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-18 16:21:34)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

It will be interesting to see China's travel policy around the New Year. Will their policy match the official government position? We have 3 more weeks to find out!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you do realize we've been using flu vaccines with 'only' 50% effectivity for decades, right?

a 90% effective vaccine is a literal moonshot scenario. science could not have delivered a better result for a coronavirus-type emergency, especially in 12 months.
It was a response to Ken and Larssen holding out hope for the vaccine rollout.

Also they don't reach maximum protection until two weeks after the second dose, there's going to be a massive spike of people discarding their masks and partying five minutes after they've had their first dose.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-18 20:56:23)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

6 months virus protection is better than zero. I want to be able to get on a plane again and attend sporting events and live shows if the option is there.
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

It was a response to Ken and Larssen holding out hope for the vaccine rollout.

Also they don't reach maximum protection until two weeks after the second dose, there's going to be a massive spike of people discarding their masks and partying five minutes after they've had their first dose.
the virus doesn’t actually mutate that fast for a coronavirus and every mutation thus far has still been covered by the existing vaccines. touch wood.

i would caution against letting people freely mingle now when we’re on the cusp of widespread vaccination, but you keep trying to catastrophize our position in a way that isn’t really accurate.

having a stable and highly efficacious vaccine for a coronavirus is a small wonder. no such thing has ever been possible for the common cold. a vaccine that manages 50% efficacy for influenza type viruses would be approved in any given year. we have 90% vaccines that can cover the entire present range of mutations. it’s a very encouraging picture and could be so much worse. your ‘readings’ of the vaccine success rates/mutations is a bit exaggerated in its doom and gloom aspect. keep some perspective.

complete and total supposition. based on ... nothing.

[ ] i r scientist
[x] i read tabloid media

by the time the party crowd have their first shot anyway approx. 70% of the rest of society, the old, the vulnerable, the shielded, etc, will have had theirs. not that there’s a shred of evidence that people are ruining things after their first dose. by all accounts even those who have received 2x vaccine doses are still having to obey lockdown rules, stay inside; and so on.

it might surprise you that the majority of young and middle-aged people are conscientious, concerned for their health and the wellbeing of others, and widely compliant with rules too. not that you’d know, of course, reading stories in tabloids about ‘raves’ and knitting three-piece suits for your cat.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-18 22:39:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard