uziq
+492|3450
i have said for 200 something pages of this thread that dramatically closing borders and wounding international trade or travel makes NO sense if you don’t have a robust domestic test+tracing regime. it does nothing. covid will cross borders on things even if you place strict limits on people; and in any case SOME numbers of people must go back and forth even in the maintenance of those goods logistics.

NZ can close its border because hardly anyone goes there. lol. it’s not complicated.

many other countries have achieved a completely flat covid graph all year with BORDERS open. obviously, by the same token, you want to ignore them and continue pursuing your obsessive vendettas against, er, holiday-makers.
Larssen
+99|1885

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I feel lucky cos the worst thing that happened to me this year is that I dated a chick for 2 months who appeared not entirely mentally well and I dodged a dynamite infested snake pit.

The years make you wiser boys. It was still stressful, but I escaped thank u jesus.
lol wow what a lovely, sensitive young man.
I am a very considerate person thx. If you feel you can deal with someone who has serious mood swings and blames them on you, be my guest. I liked the girl but am not going to participate in a nonstop emotional rollercoaster. Recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-06 03:02:31)

uziq
+492|3450
i nearly had my life ruined by a girl like that and it was a very public affair here on bf2s at the time. i regretted the way i spoke about her, though.
Larssen
+99|1885
I get that, not about to post all the details. She's a good person but we're a terrible match and I'm cause for insecurities on her end with resulting moods which ultimately stresses me out too. We broke it off, she came back into my life for a few days a couple months later and pretended to have totally changed which I don't think was the case at all.

I'm old enough to now know it's not that easy and as soon as I asked a few pointed questions all hell broke loose so I cut it off. Happy I did but disappointed we couldn't end things on a positive note. Seemed impossible.

Which is weird as we only dated a short while but things went fast

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-06 03:22:48)

uziq
+492|3450
take it to the girl problems thread, lad.
Larssen
+99|1885
I solved the problem lad

Besides that thread is on the level of asking if you want to pay an onlyfans girl to comment on your dick

Didn't know we still had threads.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-06 05:06:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i have said for 200 something pages of this thread that dramatically closing borders and wounding international trade or travel makes NO sense if you don’t have a robust domestic test+tracing regime.
Well obviously if nothing is functioning there's no point only doing one thing.

But, most countries closed or dramatically restricted their borders well before they had test and trace set up, then reopened minimally and gradually.

NZ gets 3.8 million tourists a year, cutting them out is a no-brainer.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
london gets 25-30 million visitors per year, including a huge turnaround of day-trippers or weekend visitors, lots of business, frequent flyers to the city airport for meetings, etc. again, the comparison to NZ is fucking retarded. a nation of 5 million with 3.8 million visitors a year. jesus christ.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, don't do anything, have a great time.

https://scontent.fadl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/136335338_3195680300533957_1802884820815643824_o.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=i37blXdoXr0AX8pEp26&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl4-1.fna&oh=023e4240b97629f6dec81ed9646ddc4a&oe=60196870
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

tl;dr ranty, venty, maybe non-sequitur post

Found out uncle's dead, and was maybe already when I wrote that post the other day after being passed the chaotic news. Taken off ventilator. His sick wife got to say goodbye in a hazmat suit. Kids and grandkids zoomed their goodbyes. Some family pad it a bit by saying he had lots of underlying conditions and that treatment wasn't working. And that the ICU beds and medical oxygen were desperately needed.

It's probably untrue to say I'm the only person in the family angry about it. I expect my dad has some of the same sentiments now that he's a statistic in familial survivors of 350k+ covid-dead Americans. How many 9-11s, Pearl Harbors, or Vietnams is that now? Immense GDP, could easily keep people's heads above the water, but we don't. Maleficent leadership, pundits, and meme recyclers turn the virus and its economics into a political divider. "Greatest country in the world" had to ration basic supplies, hospital beds, now medical oxygen.

I see this a lot in social media posts from people who survived the covid deceased, but the feeling's real: Screw the people who spent 2020 refusing to acknowledge it's an actual sickness, or downplaying the virus, or actively sabotaging efforts to fight it. Remember concerns about socialized medicine and death panels? "Obama's gonna kill your grandma!" Turns out we may not need socialized medicine for that.

And zero patience for the fucking Jays of America who would like to tell me I'm just afraid of seeing my parents die or am just being smug about handwashing. PeOpLe DiE aLL tHe TiMe.

https://i.imgur.com/wixlfNa.jpg

I'm shaking a little.
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, don't do anything, have a great time.

https://scontent.fadl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/136335338_3195680300533957_1802884820815643824_o.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=i37blXdoXr0AX8pEp26&_nc_ht=scontent.fadl4-1.fna&oh=023e4240b97629f6dec81ed9646ddc4a&oe=60196870
i literally posted this graph on the last page. what are you telling me that’s new? maybe if the U.K. closes its borders to all incomers, we’ll magically fix our outbreak? the borders are definitely it!
uziq
+492|3450
really sorry to hear that newbie. thoughts with you and your family. being on a ventilator or in a coma long-term is a terrible outcome, if that’s any succour.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Thanks, it just sucks all around. I feel like the US could have had more meaningful progress in fighting this thing if it weren't actively sabotaging itself at every turn. The next 300 person wedding before we get this under control needs to get sprayed down with a firehose. Also all the traveling Trump super-spreaders.
uziq
+492|3450
it’s amazing to me that america is doing the worst in the world at a deadly pandemic, your government is being stormed by a mob, and americans meanwhile are saying ‘hey, it’s no big deal, it’s been much worse’. lmao when?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

And again, previous projections put the US as one of the top performers. Probably not factoring in something like Trumpism. Maybe political divisiveness should be used more in epidemiological models.

We're running out of things to compare it to in hopes of downplaying it. Yes, the Mongol exterminations were a pretty low point in history too, but that doesn't say much for the coronavirus.

"But snowball earth! The planet has survived!"

Yeah ok.
Larssen
+99|1885
After this whole episode western governments will have to re-evaluate their national level crisis management tools and institutions to ensure another pandemic event will be more adequately addressed. Even in nations that "did well" their 'succes' has been very limited because of constitutional constraints and other normal-daily-life laws and norms that should not be hindering action in an acute crisis. Beyond the fact that reactions should have been much quicker, state emergency powers and laws absolutely need to be reconsidered on this specific scenario to make containment swift and effective if things do escalate (of course, with necessary controls to avoid abuse).

All in all the failure to adequately prepare for the event was unforgivable, but even more so the cascades of failures that allowed the pandemic to rage for over a year. Starting with the notions of personal responsibility for the entire society when a life threatening disease spreads from person to person. Our insistence on individual liberties are fucking backwards here and cannot be some holy untouchable right in any situation.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-06 14:20:42)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i literally posted this graph on the last page. what are you telling me that’s new? maybe if the U.K. closes its borders to all incomers, we’ll magically fix our outbreak? the borders are definitely it!
So again, your plan is do nothing?

Step 1 Close the borders
Step 2 Run an effective track and trace system not burdened by an unnecessary 800,000 incomers and their exponential contacts every week.
Step 3
Step 4 Profit - like NZ, Australia, etc.

I think the truth is you want freedom to travel unhindered and think someone else should take the cost and pain for your selfishness.
uziq
+492|3450
i haven't left my county in 12 months. i haven't broken a single lockdown rule. i have had no desire to party or gather. why am i 'selfish'? i haven't been on a plane anywhere in the better part of 10 years.

you trying to make out i'm some jet-setting ecocidal instagram influencer is really bizarre.

i can move abroad regardless of the current restrictions, and it has always been thus for the designated country. they have kept their borders open all year and also stayed in control of covid-19 - which rather contradicts your little thesis, doesn't it? for your NZ case study, there's south korea and taiwan, who have done just as well with borders still open.

there is simply no way you can construe my behaviour or actions as 'selfish' or irresponsible. my life for the last 12 months has been almost as sad-sack and hopeless as your day-to-day.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Taiwan's controls seem fairly severe, once again I think you're just making stuff up.

Mar 18, 2020   
★ IMPORTANT

Taiwan to bar foreign nationals from entering the country starting March 19 in response to the continued spread of COVID-19

1. Taiwan will bar foreign nationals whose flights depart after 00:00 Taipei Standard Time (GMT+8) on March 19 from entering the country in accordance with measures announced by the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC). Exemptions will be granted to Alien Resident Certificate holders, personnel on diplomatic or official business, persons who can prove they are fulfilling commercial and contractual obligations, and persons requiring special permission.

Frequently Asked Questions (Mar 19)
Q1: Do the new border control measures announced by Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which went into effect on March 19, annul visa-free entry, landing visas, and eVisas for foreign nationals? Can foreign nationals holding a valid visa still enter Taiwan?

A: The border control measures announced by Taiwan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs were implemented in response to the continued spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak. Foreign nationals who are eligible for visa-free entry or hold a visitor or resident visa and wish to enter Taiwan from March 19 must hold relevant documents to qualify for exempted status. These documents must be presented to the National Immigration Agency (NIA) personnel at the port of entry for approval. Those holding special entry permits issued by R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas missions, valid Alien Resident Certificates, or MOFA ID Cards will be allowed entry following inspection by NIA personnel.

Q2: Under what circumstances do foreign nationals qualify for a special entry permit? What are some examples?

A: Apart from the aforementioned foreign nationals who can still enter Taiwan, R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas missions may also grant special entry permits to foreign nationals when there are clear and urgent reasons for them to visit Taiwan based on, for example, humanitarian grounds or approval by competent authorities in Taiwan.

December 30, 2020
CECC imposes entry restrictions and quarantine measures for non-R.O.C. nationals starting from January 1, 2021, and tightens quarantine measures for travelers coming to Taiwan starting on January 15, 2021

On December 30, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) reported that coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has continued to spread around the globe. The CECC stated that in consideration of the status of the COVID-19 pandemic globally, Taiwan would impose entry restrictions and quarantine regulations for non-R.O.C. nationals, effective from 00:00 am (local time at the airport of departure) on January 1, 2021, and Taiwan would strengthen quarantine measures form travelers coming to Taiwan, effective from 00:00 am on January 15, 2021.
Details about entry restrictions and quarantine regulations for non-R.O.C. nationals are listed below.

A. Non-R.O.C. nationals may enter Taiwan if they meet the following conditions:

Foreign nationals: foreign nationals may enter Taiwan if they hold an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC); for diplomatic or official business; to fulfill contractual obligations; for special humanitarian reasons; when they are the spouse or the underage child of an R.O.C. national; or when they obtain other special permission.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5081-c06dc-2.html
uziq
+492|3450
i don’t have a problem with a country banning tourists? have you been reading my posts at all? letting people with visas go to a country and allowing nationals in and out is not exactly ‘closing the border’. japan closed their border, i.e. even japanese abroad couldn’t return.

but okay, take taiwan. you’re still not addressing the fact that a densely populated country of 50 million have flatlined covid with OPEN borders.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
South Korea requires a negative PCR test AND 14 days quarantine, thats hardly unrestricted travel.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
By your definition Australia and NZ have OPEN borders, since anyone with a visa can get in.
uziq
+492|3450
that measure was introduced all of 1 week ago. for the last YEAR they’ve had open borders. what does the quarantine have to do with it? where did i say that quarantines are hopeless?

a country that lets in international flights from 95% of the countries in the world, and then makes people quarantine for arrival, does not have ‘closed borders’.

methinks you’re scrabbling around for an argument. i have precisely been in support of open borders and intelligent quarantine/tracing methods, precisely as OPPOSED to your ‘shut down everything’ tack. now you’re using, uh, korea’s quarantine ‘against’ me? you do realise people who go there voluntarily pay $2000 for the 15 day quarantine right? i think i’d know whether or not i agree with those measures by now!
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

By your definition Australia and NZ have OPEN borders, since anyone with a visa can get in.
you’ve been talking all along about closing down all flights. you specifically talk about stopping people from getting on planes, stopping the movement of people. er a closed border is a bit more severe than ‘visa holders can come’. visa holders can carry the virus just as well as visa-free tourists, no?

you go figure it out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's a big difference between "open borders" which you've been advocating and 99.9% closed borders with very limited, controlled, quarantined essential travel mostly for citizens only which is what most countries including SK and Taiwan have had for almost a year - except Britain and America which have had largely open borders and are now looking like wastelands.

The rambling and confused arguments you've constructed around your self interest make little sense.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard