uziq
+492|3452
they all involve economic harm, dumkopf. people are employed at ski resorts, including many locals who rely on the seasonal fare. i emphasised retail and restaurants because that's the majority of small businesses that would be affected in the seoul metropolitan area, where the measures have been harshest and where any 'severe' lockdowns would surely be implemented first. i don't see how you can implement 'targeted lockdowns' in a city like seoul without hurting small business owners. that's kind of what the city is.

the itaewon club cluster, again, was not a 'symptom' of clubs being kept open recklessly. it was like a spark that floated in on a high wind. it happened on may 1st during the absolute low-point of south korea's pandemic. covid was not even on the radar. or do you really think it 'good policy' to keep a huge night-life sector of the economy shuttered for an entire year when the case numbers are in the tens?

i don't disagree that targeting huge religious congregations is a highly effective policy and what seems like an obvious no-brainer. that one seems to have been a thorny and contentious issue all over the world, though. even in england now, one of the most secular countries in europe, we are still for some reason not banning religious gatherings up to a certain size.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-05 16:02:09)

uziq
+492|3452
anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ … ds-origins

china are blocking the WHO delegation. a plot twist. i thought the WHO had been captured by china?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Still gotta ask daddy for permission
uziq
+492|3452
watching china celebrate new year's did kindle something approximating to hatred in my heart.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i'm sure it's just as easy to contain and trace a virus when it's in a new york or a london as it is in new zealand. i see you're determined to miss the point in almost every way. new zealand is a tiny and isolated community. it's the best case scenario possible for pulling up the gangplanks and sitting out a pandemic.

europe in the early stage of the pandemic had insane vectors of infection. a huge break-out happened in liverpool because of spanish football fans flying from a covid-struck madrid to the uK for a football match. how many people are flying to new zealand for an overnight stay or long weekend to see sports matches? european nations are huddled together, standing on top of one another's toes. the consequences of shutting the borders and denying all passage and exchange are much, much higher than for new zealand.

can't believe at what length i've had to point this out. new zealand: good job but please, enough.
You seem obsessed with what is mostly unnecessary travel, for which the economic benefit is almost nothing, probably its a net drain on Britain.

New Zealand acted early and effectively, Britain is even now playing catchup, this isn't complicated.

Hey just think, if every country had acted like NZ we probably wouldn't have this second strain.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-05 16:54:42)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

watching china celebrate new year's did kindle something approximating to hatred in my heart.
Meh, I am just going to reiterate how little I am interested in "holding China accountable" for any of this. Trump tried to get New Yorkers killed. It wasn't China who made that decision.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3452

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

i'm sure it's just as easy to contain and trace a virus when it's in a new york or a london as it is in new zealand. i see you're determined to miss the point in almost every way. new zealand is a tiny and isolated community. it's the best case scenario possible for pulling up the gangplanks and sitting out a pandemic.

europe in the early stage of the pandemic had insane vectors of infection. a huge break-out happened in liverpool because of spanish football fans flying from a covid-struck madrid to the uK for a football match. how many people are flying to new zealand for an overnight stay or long weekend to see sports matches? european nations are huddled together, standing on top of one another's toes. the consequences of shutting the borders and denying all passage and exchange are much, much higher than for new zealand.

can't believe at what length i've had to point this out. new zealand: good job but please, enough.
You seem obsessed with what is mostly unnecessary travel, for which the economic benefit is almost nothing, probably its a net drain on Britain.

New Zealand acted early and effectively, Britain is even now playing catchup, this isn't complicated.

Hey just think, if every country had acted like NZ we probably wouldn't have this second strain.
it's you that is obsessed with tourism, for some bizarre reason, and trying to shift the blame for covid, like global warming, onto holiday-makers.

covid survives on surfaces for up to several days. it has been detected on food and goods packaging.

if you want to shut the borders, it involves a bit more than turning away people with their inflatable dinghies and sunscreen.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

So my uncle's wife has the virus too. Could wipe them both out.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

That's horrible. I hope everything works out for them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
It's cruelly ironic that we all mostly made it through 2020 okay but at the end of December and start of January, Uzique finds out Korea is indefinitely postponed, my parents get divorced, RTHKI's sister's cat college closes, and Newbie's relatives get sick.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

if you want to shut the borders, it involves a bit more than turning away people with their inflatable dinghies and sunscreen.
Correct, you just shut the borders to everything except essential goods.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

My district sends out an email everytime there is a birth or death in the family of an employee. Whenever I see an email notification of a death of an elderly relative I wonder if COVID got them. I think a lot of families aren't going to advertise that COVID got their relative either. It's like people being embarrassed that their relatives died of suicide or drug overdose.
Well that's, special? Keeping that secret is kind of news to me. It's been a rather public and much discussed thing throughout 2020 and "x and such contact you might have had in the building within y hours apart tested positive, go test." It's not like people are usually trying to hide it like it's AIDS?
I think the whole "wear a mask dumbass" thing may make some people feel like other people feel that their relative getting sick was the total fault of their dead relative. and they would be embarrassed of that.
Again highlighting the problem we've had in communicating to the public what exactly the masks are for and how they're supposed to work. One person wearing a mask in a building full of open-faced coughers may not actually prevent anything. When they get sick, people immediately look at masks as having done no good. Or like you say getting sick even with a mask on might be seen as a source of embarrassment? Maybe some families, I see endless posts of people saying "I did everything I was supposed to!"

That on top of early publication of the CDC's stuff, and misunderstood flip-flopping due to scarce supplies. And Republicans, Fox, etc.'s incessant railing against the mask as some sort of political symbol, blah blah been over this. Americans really suck at understanding science (or at least how it's supposed to work) sometimes.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

That's horrible. I hope everything works out for them.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It's cruelly ironic that we all mostly made it through 2020 okay but at the end of December and start of January, Uzique finds out Korea is indefinitely postponed, my parents get divorced, RTHKI's sister's cat college closes, and Newbie's relatives get sick.
I feel like my uncle is about a flip of a coin. He's survived lots of horrible things before.

Also yeah, it does feel like the forum really held out. Except for Jay.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
didn't jay got spooked away by macbeth?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Information at present seems to be wearing a mask - ie a fabric one in the average public setting - doesn't protect you much, but it protects everyone else if you're infected, hence everyone needs to wear one without exception.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Shahter wrote:

didn't jay got spooked away by macbeth?
Like usmarine (pbuh) Jay came out as transgender and is waiting until after the China Bat Flu crisis for reassignment treatment.
Apparently discovering a fake virus was clogging up hospitals and delaying treatment for real issues tipped him over the edge.

usmarine is happy and living a new life but chose exactly the wrong moment to pick the name Karen.
Larssen
+99|1888
I feel lucky cos the worst thing that happened to me this year is that I dated a chick for 2 months who appeared not entirely mentally well and I dodged a dynamite infested snake pit.

The years make you wiser boys. It was still stressful, but I escaped thank u jesus.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-06 00:47:26)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia
vaccination for higher risk groups is in full swing in moscow, and i am aparrently eligible for it now due to my asthma. just applied, the wait should be something like a week i'm told.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3452

SuperJail Warden wrote:

korea is back open for international travel. the flight ban lasted 2 weeks. brits require a negative PCR test before boarding a plane now, in addition to a test upon arrival at the airport. i said all along that korea wouldn't ban international travel for a long time. they haven't done so all year and the case numbers coming off international flights is in the low-teens per day.

i’m just going as late as my visa entry will possibly allow for, now. considering the U.K. is going to be under lockdown until then anyway, and probably towards summer 2021 under heavy restrictions, i’m still making an escape and a move for the better.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-06 01:55:46)

Larssen
+99|1888
Considering the UK just moved into a heavy lockdown this might change into country specific travel bans I reckon (depending on the situation). Though I hope/assume a work visa would provide a positive outcome wrt necessity of travel. When is your flight date?
uziq
+492|3452
i'm glad the UK has gone into a heavy lockdown, it was entirely necessary. it's more likely we will have travel bans when we have an out-of-control covid spread. why would countries begin banning us long-term when our own government have us locked down? travel is not allowed as per the UK government's own instructions, at present. a ban seems a little bit redundant, don't you think?

you're allowed to travel for work and education reasons. i have a year-long work visa. i'm going end of february.

the hysteria over banning the UK specifically was entirely misplaced, and a major fail in policy. the new covid variant is not UK-specific. the UK identified it first and, due to our piss-poor tier system, quickly took the brunt of it. the new variant was identified in germany in november, ffs. germany also began posting 1000+ deaths per day in december. where's the worldwide flight bans on germany? half of europe aren't doing the serological work to even identify this thing. banning the UK makes no sense.

i've been keeping an eye on the daily covid reports from the korean CDC and the numbers of infected brits showing up is < 5 per week. they've identified 12 cases of the UK covid variant in 2 weeks. the main group were korean nationals returning home. they are not going to blanket ban the UK. korea hasn't instated travel bans on the USA all year: you know, that country posting 250,000+ new cases PER DAY.

korea is also reliant on the UK oxford-astrazeneca vaccine. there's probably a political-diplomatic angle involved, somewhere. they are right near the bottom of the pile for the pfizer and moderna vaccines and there is an outcry there to begin vaccinations NOW, not in summer.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-06 02:05:49)

uziq
+492|3452

Larssen wrote:

I feel lucky cos the worst thing that happened to me this year is that I dated a chick for 2 months who appeared not entirely mentally well and I dodged a dynamite infested snake pit.

The years make you wiser boys. It was still stressful, but I escaped thank u jesus.
lol wow what a lovely, sensitive young man.
uziq
+492|3452

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Correct, you just shut the borders to everything except essential goods.
yeah, great. the UK's fruit and vegetable supply was severely disrupted by 2-3 days of dover-calais being closed in december.

amazing how your edicts make hardly any sense in real political reality, isn't it? it's almost as if i've been saying just that for 1 year.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
fruit and vegetables are essentials, dur.
uziq
+492|3452
but food packaging carries covid? do you enjoy circular argument or something?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Obviously there are limits.

Amazingly NZ etc have achieved the impossible. But as its impossible lets remove data we don't like from the discussion.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard