RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6769|Oxferd Ohire
Months of working in a sea of covid deniers has resulted in only 4 employees ever testing positive. With 150 employees who hate wearing masks correctly I'm impressed.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3751

uziq wrote:

yeah, that video is incredibly sensationalist and short-sighted, considering there was a swine flu epidemic in north america in 2009.
Spanish Flu is believed to have come from a U.S. pig farm. Some pig farm worker got drafted and took it to France where it spread from there.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3484
the hypothesis i've read is that it got called spanish flu just because of the media/journalism around the thing. apparently spain was one of the only countries where the flu epidemic was really public news because all the others were on a war footing or heavily restricting their press. that might just be a bit of fluff i picked up somewhere. i can't recall.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3751
Yes, the Spanish were willing to publish about it and the king actually caught it too. The Spanish Flu was running through the allied trenches the moment American soldiers started showing up. The demobilization of allied forces then seeded it across a broken Europe and North America. The Spanish Flu killed a lot more people because they didn't have the medical technology and a host of other things we take for granted. I wouldn't be surpirsed if COVID is a deadlier virus all things being equal. The Spanish Flu killed 675,000 Americans. We are at half that but with a 100 years of technology and information.

Another interesting fact: the plague is easily treated by modern antibiotics.
uziq
+492|3484
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n … ders-masks

it's weird how strangely quiet dilbert is about australia's covid outbreak whenever the news items implicate white people, i.e. australians returning from america, australians not wearing masks, beach go'ers, etc, and not 'indians smearing their shit on walls in hotel quarantine'.

strangely he doesn't seem as incensed by the behaviour of his own 'tribe'. perhaps it's just 'instinct'?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

Dilbert is pure impulse. To try and straighten out his stupid notion of racism as genetic, I posted an article written by an Israeli psychology professor on how humans divide themselves into groups, but all he could see was "Israel." I knew he'd go into a rant about Jews.

Living in a conquered land himself, as an immigrant.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6137|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/18/northern-beaches-covid-cluster-grows-gladys-berejiklian-sydneysiders-masks

it's weird how strangely quiet dilbert is about australia's covid outbreak whenever the news items implicate white people, i.e. australians returning from america, australians not wearing masks, beach go'ers, etc, and not 'indians smearing their shit on walls in hotel quarantine'.

strangely he doesn't seem as incensed by the behaviour of his own 'tribe'. perhaps it's just 'instinct'?
We've had looong periods with zero active cases in the community -> No need to wear face masks or do much else really.
https://i.imgur.com/1bCs2X0.jpg

But once again it escapes from hotel quarantine and rips through and creates trouble and a panic.

Meanwhile Australia has a grand total of 70 active cases, most of which were detected in hotel quarantine and are still there, not bad going, the economy is running, its just the flu.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-18 05:43:32)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3751
https://i.imgur.com/4QWHoEb.png
We are at "a historical event from the last hundreds years" a day numbers again. RTHKI doesn't think 9/11 are a good measurement so I am going to point out that this is 1.5 Pearl Harbors.
uziq
+492|3484
and it still isn't even christmas or new year's yet. january is going to be a bloodbath.

almost 12 months on from jay claiming that it's just flu. it's almost poetic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

I think a lot of "just-a-flu"-ers just feel dead to the numbers. If analogizing it to wars and battles and attacks over the course of 2020 hasn't convinced some of then, it probably never will. Nearly 1.7 million (that have been recorded) worldwide, nearly 320k recorded in the US. X.Y Vietnams in less than a year.

Republican care cup is empty.
uziq
+492|3484
WHO estimates between 290,000 and 650,000 people per year die of flu.

covid-19 has killed 1.7 million in less than a year, with drastic society-stopping measures in place to curb the worst of it.

it's officially A Bad Thing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3751
American media did a really bad job in how they covered it. I saw more coverage of Italian hospitals disasters than I saw of American ones. Our hospitals are private so of course we really can't film what a COVID meltdown really looks like. And when they covered the brief NYC meltdown they covered it in the worse way possible by making it partially a social justice thing.
lil_droo
+19|1526

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think a lot of "just-a-flu"-ers just feel dead to the numbers. If analogizing it to wars and battles and attacks over the course of 2020 hasn't convinced some of then, it probably never will. Nearly 1.7 million (that have been recorded) worldwide, nearly 320k recorded in the US. X.Y Vietnams in less than a year.

comparing it to wars and attacks is like the worst thing ppl can do tbf. i hear people say it's a 9/11 each day with 3k people dying but this shit does not compare at all to 9/11. that attack was 1 one of the worst things to happen in history and the shit it caused around the world was tremendous. it really changed ppls lives. that shit was horrific, like the destruction at once and so many lives tragically taken. we will never forget that shit

vietnam was like 60k US deaths and i would still say that shit was way more serious than covid even if it reaches 1million deaths in the US. it's not just numbers. but even if u are just looking at numbers vietnam for example was a lot of young healthy men dying. covid is mostly old people or people already on their way out (not that their lives aren't valuable but still)
gang shit
uziq
+492|3484
9/11 'one of the worst things to happen in history' lol. somehow i doubt that androoz. you do know that america nuked an entire japanese city ... twice ... right? you do know that nazi germany gassed and then cremated about 9 million people, right?

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-18 12:30:29)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6769|Oxferd Ohire
We should measure it in Iraq war civilian deaths
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3484
i mean, insofar as 9/11 was televised, live, so americans had to witness first hand the death and destruction that are more usually doled out on their behalf in countries they couldn’t even point out on a map ... sure, 9/11 had a particularly spectacular aspect.

but i’m pretty sure all those iraqi civilians feel the same way when they see all the televised bombing footage or heli killstreaks that have populated the internet for the last 15 years. only times the number of dead by about 1,000.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

lil_droo wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

comparing it to wars and attacks is like the worst thing ppl can do tbf. i hear people say it's a 9/11 each day with 3k people dying but this shit does not compare at all to 9/11. that attack was 1 one of the worst things to happen in history and the shit it caused around the world was tremendous. it really changed ppls lives. that shit was horrific, like the destruction at once and so many lives tragically taken. we will never forget that shit

vietnam was like 60k US deaths and i would still say that shit was way more serious than covid even if it reaches 1million deaths in the US. it's not just numbers. but even if u are just looking at numbers vietnam for example was a lot of young healthy men dying. covid is mostly old people or people already on their way out (not that their lives aren't valuable but still)
People compare it to 9-11 to try and get through to covid-deniers who, on the other hand, won't shut up about 9-11, wars, etc.. I'll agree that if it hasn't worked already with some that it probably never will with them.

Anyway, 320,000 dead Americans from a singular cause in less than a year is plenty tragic, horrific, and life-changing. Even if you survive hospitalization, you may come out of it with the trauma, permanent organ damage, and maybe knowing you might have carelessly spread it to other people and gotten them killed. Not to mention all the damage done to livelihoods and financial security outside of medical bills that people will never be able to pay off.

Entire generations of people experiencing multiple "once-in-a-lifetime" fiascos while getting pissed on by elderly pundits and commentators. Feels bad man.
lil_droo
+19|1526

uziq wrote:

9/11 'one of the worst things to happen in history' lol. somehow i doubt that androoz. you do know that america nuked an entire japanese city ... twice ... right? you do know that nazi germany gassed and then cremated about 9 million people, right?
i'm talking about american/western history dude. anyways yes nuking japan killed a lot of ppl but i'm not gonna debate whether that was right or wrong of us. it was basically americas last option to end the war. or we could have just kept doing what we were doing and ended with countless more japanese and american deaths. it was gonna be bad either way but that's war. same with your iraq comment. i don't wanna engage in an anti-america discussion when u start it off saying we basically "dole out" death and destruction for fun.
gang shit
lil_droo
+19|1526

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

lil_droo wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

People compare it to 9-11 to try and get through to covid-deniers who, on the other hand, won't shut up about 9-11, wars, etc.. I'll agree that if it hasn't worked already with some that it probably never will with them.

Anyway, 320,000 dead Americans from a singular cause in less than a year is plenty tragic, horrific, and life-changing. Even if you survive hospitalization, you may come out of it with the trauma, permanent organ damage, and maybe knowing you might have carelessly spread it to other people and gotten them killed. Not to mention all the damage done to livelihoods and financial security outside of medical bills that people will never be able to pay off.

Entire generations of people experiencing multiple "once-in-a-lifetime" fiascos while getting pissed on by elderly pundits and commentators. Feels bad man.
i know this shit is serious and i'm not a covid-denier but i can sort of see their point of view. anyways thank god we got 2 vaccines coming out and hopefully this will be over in the next couple moinths. i just hope that we learned something as a country and can be better prepared if (or when) this happens again
gang shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

Yeah I get that you're not a denier. Just saying there's a reason for the comparison, even though it's only really reaching the choir at this point.

One of the things we've learned is that contrary to that one study's predictions in 2006 or whatever, the US was not a good performer as predicted for a covid-type pandemic.
uziq
+492|3484

lil_droo wrote:

uziq wrote:

i'm talking about american/western history dude. anyways yes nuking japan killed a lot of ppl but i'm not gonna debate whether that was right or wrong of us. it was basically americas last option to end the war. or we could have just kept doing what we were doing and ended with countless more japanese and american deaths. it was gonna be bad either way but that's war. same with your iraq comment. i don't wanna engage in an anti-america discussion when u start it off saying we basically "dole out" death and destruction for fun.
ok sure, don't take responsibility for 100,000s of dead innocent civilians and keep talking about 3,000 dead americans as 'the worst thing in history' (or revised to 'american history').

9/11 is probably the most consequential thing for american foreign policy in the 21st century, i'll say that. but vietnam was far worse, just from the already-mentioned events and examples.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-19 11:33:21)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6716|United States of America
The 9/11 comparisons and the Pearl Harbors before that do seem kinda pointless because it really seemed to me people don't care about those cumulative totals unless it's one fell swoop. We hit 9/11-worth of deaths early in the pandemic and 2x/3x/4x worth with people still not taking it seriously. I remember the day we surpassed Vietnam deaths and it didn't register at all. We're about 100k deaths from matching all US WWII deaths in under a single year and people will still be calling it the flu if we exceed that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

Regarding the nukes themselves, debatable. The US side of things taught for a long while that Japan would have never surrendered. The Japanese contended that the surrender was already in motion with conditions under discussion, and that the bombings were a strategic move to intimidate the Soviets.

Here's an article that puts it I think cleanly:

https://www.stripes.com/news/special-re … s-1.360300
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6716|United States of America
A Youtuber I watch did just this week put up a 2-hour video discussing the decision to drop the bomb and the ex post facto justifications that have been spread. Haven't yet been able to watch it, though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

So I guess if 9-11s and Pearl Harbors a day isn't cutting it, then maybe it's time to talk about covid-19 and erectile dysfunction. Probably a better way to spook the dude-bros into actually following guidelines.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard