unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Again, editors are not glorified grammar checkers just "fine-tuning a bit of text" for reasons listed recently in this thread. That you insist they are, despite a job description from an actual editor, descriptions of collaborative efforts, and testimony from writers and authors, speaks of a fundamental misunderstanding of the job.

I mean here are some bullet points:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job-Descriptions/Editor.htm
https://job-descriptions.careerplanner.com/Editors.cfm

Are you just a glorified cad monkey clicking buttons like you're in a tutorial, or does your job require actual thought from time to time?
uziq
+492|3452

Dilbert_X wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert wrote:

I've read hundreds if not thousands of raw unedited papers, never had any problem understanding anything in some pretty arcane areas.
you've never came upon a badly written piece of tech documentation working as an engineer? really?
Of course, but fine-tuning a bit of text isn't exactly creative is it?
you keep trying to bash me over the head and call me ‘uncreative’, based on what? the fact i argue with your dumb thinking on the internet and am thus a ‘destructive’ thinker? lmao.

i commissioned, shaped and edited books for 4 years. that involved envisioning new book ideas, tutoring first-time authors, helping writers to shape and develop a voice and style. it was plenty creative and very satisfying.

scientific editing is necessarily less creative. editors aren’t suggesting new chapters to scientists at the publication stage. that would jeopardise and significantly alter the, er, science. it’s peer-reviewed as part of the editorial process to ensure that science is water tight. no shit STEM editors aren’t making heavy interventions or throwing out entire sections. i’ve never said anywhere that it’s the pinnacle of creativity and im not even sure why that’s the most desirable quality.

i write, i make music, i DJ, most of my hobbies and social life revolves around literature or the arts of some kind. and yet you persist in calling me ‘uncreative’ time and time again, you who is the biggest philistine on this forum, a live-at-home sap still chewing on children’s comic movies and bubblegum pop music, you who reads 3 books a year, you who is basically incurious and dismissive of anything, er, genuinely creative.

as newbie said above, you prosecute the strangest arguments. calling people parasites and unproductive members of society when you’re a single, balding, mummy’s boy piece of navel fluff is probably not that smart. going on and on about creativity as if your engineering CAD works are a modern Bernini and dismissing everyone else’s activity as ‘moving words around’ is similarly deafening in its lack of self-awareness. you keep going on and on about people being ‘critical only, creating nothing’, accusing people of being bitter, blah blah, whilst ... erm, coming to a forum nearly everyday to be ... critical and bitter about topics and groups other than your own?

i get an enormous amount of pleasure and stimulation from creativity and the arts. i am satisfied in my job and it enables, and will enable, me to lead the lifestyle that i want. i’m satisfied that it has value. which one of us comes across as happy here? you constantly piss and moan about your job and don’t seem to be doing anything to change your life. do you have creative hobbies? you still identify yourself with a target shooting club you were in at university, 30 years ago. need i go on? get a grip dil-derp.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-12 01:58:30)

Larssen
+99|1888

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

larssen hit the nail on the head. dilbert’s whole quality of living and lifestyle is predicated on being high up the food chain in a global-fossil fuel system. we have to think about societal-wide green new deals not changing to do our groceries at the local market.
Except its you two who have unproductive parasitic lifestyles and probably a higher level of consumption than me.

Larssen can gripe all he likes, every action has some carbon consequence, there's not going to be a technological fix which allows people to travel and consume as much as they want or to continue increasing population exponentially.

As I've said, most technological improvements are instantly negated or worse by increased consumption. Improving the efficiency of jet engines, and the development has been incredible, has only resulted in more people travelling and more fuel getting burned, for example.
Let's not trivialise the impact of all our daily normal consumption and the economic system at large dilbert. Vegans and flight shamers will do little to help here.

Also: why not? If you have a powergrid based on sustainable energy production and equally sustainable transportation, that's a huge part of the global warming equation addressed.

Energy production from solar, wind and water have been gaining ground for years. For air travel there's now concepts of electrical aircraft and for seafaring there's an increasing push for hydrogen use etc. Electric cars and trucks are predicted to sweep European and American markets in the next two to three decades.

Uhm Dilbert my work life is literally devoted to public service. How is that unproductive or parasitic?
uziq
+492|3452
the name of my department literally involves the word 'Production' and yet dilbert insists it's unproductive. lmao. i mean, i really don't think my publishing career has been the bee's knees, but i have a productive job, i pay taxes, i have creative hobbies, i've done community and charity service.

he's just going to have to get a new line when he's doing this lashing-out-at-society, life-is-so-unfair routine.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

Let's not trivialise the impact of all our daily normal consumption and the economic system at large dilbert. Vegans and flight shamers will do little to help here.

Also: why not? If you have a powergrid based on sustainable energy production and equally sustainable transportation, that's a huge part of the global warming equation addressed.

Energy production from solar, wind and water have been gaining ground for years. For air travel there's now concepts of electrical aircraft and for seafaring there's an increasing push for hydrogen use etc. Electric cars and trucks are predicted to sweep European and American markets in the next two to three decades.
OK so you're not willing to change your lifestyle, you expect a technological solution to be delivered to you.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So anyway, America just had its worst day so far, for cases and deaths, its as if they're just not learning.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-12 04:40:14)

Larssen
+99|1888

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

OK so you're not willing to change your lifestyle, you expect a technological solution to be delivered to you.
If you didn't notice our world is still largely in a developing phase wrt high tech and mobility. Movement of people is bound to increase, not decrease. Our energy consumption is also bound to increase, not decrease.

None of what I wrote are fairytales. The tech solution is already well on its way.
uziq
+492|3452

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

way to miss his point. lifestyle and behavioural habits are a fractional part of a much bigger, much more systemic problem. you are focussing on individual habits at the expense of the much bigger, much more salient picture.

the ironic thing is that in any other context YOU yourself espouse larssens' position: you shrug your shoulders and say 'why should i do anything about xyz when much bigger structural forces are at work, or when india/china are doing it?' you acknowledge the serious weakness of individual-based moralism and finger-wagging when it suits you.

really weak stuff.
uziq
+492|3452
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … from-covid

That sequence and many others since have shown that Sars-CoV-2, as it was named, is likely to have at least its distant ancestry in the horseshoe bats of China’s Yunnan province. Samples collected and stored after Sars show the RaTG13 bat virus is 96% similar to the new one that causes Covid-19.

That is not enough. As with Sars and Mers, which are both coronaviruses with bat origins, there must have been an intermediate host. In March the virologists Eddie Holmes and Andrew Rambaut and others published a review of what can be deduced from the genetic data in the journal Nature. Specifically, the spike protein for which the new coronavirus has become famous has a “receptor binding domain” that will stick to a certain receptor – called ACE2 – on a human cell. Bat viruses don’t have that. But coronaviruses in Malayan pangolins do, they pointed out.

Pangolins came under suspicion, but were not listed in the Huanan market, although that does not prove they were not there. But there are other animals that could conceivably pass such a virus to humans with which we are all far more familiar.

For the WHO, which launched an official inquiry in the summer, the questions about which species might be the intermediary and whether there may be a lasting reservoir of virus are crucial. “So far, susceptibility studies conducted in several countries have shown that domestic cats, ferrets, hamsters and minks are particularly susceptible to infection,” said the terms of reference published in July. Cats can get the virus and transmit it to other cats. There were positive samples from nearly 14% of more than 100 cats tested in Wuhan. Farmed mink – first in Denmark and the Netherlands and then across Europe and the US – have been found to carry the virus and been culled.

Nor is it likely to have escaped accidentally from the Wuhan lab, said Golding, who used to work in a high containment facility in Pirbright, Surrey. The idea that one person got infected in the lab and spread it to the entire world is the stuff of movies, she said. “Show me the evidence … It just doesn’t seem very realistic.” It is far more likely that animals were infected and people picked up the virus from them.
amazing. so the best hunch so far is that it originated in cave-dwelling bats and hopped to humans via any number of intermediary mammalian mutations, notably pangolins and cats. how great would it be that after dilbert's non-stop, 250-pages' worth of racism and talk about 'chinese secret labs leaking it on purpose', the culprit was actually his beloved fucking cats.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Nor is it likely to have escaped accidentally from the Wuhan lab, said Golding, who used to work in a high containment facility in Pirbright, Surrey. The idea that one person got infected in the lab and spread it to the entire world is the stuff of movies, she said. “Show me the evidence … It just doesn’t seem very realistic.”.
Two years before the novel coronavirus pandemic upended the world, U.S. Embassy officials visited a Chinese research facility in the city of Wuhan several times and sent two official warnings back to Washington about inadequate safety at the lab, which was conducting risky studies on coronaviruses from bats. The cables have fueled discussions inside the U.S. government about whether this or another Wuhan lab was the source of the virus — even though conclusive proof has yet to emerge.

“During interactions with scientists at the WIV laboratory, they noted the new lab has a serious shortage of appropriately trained technicians and investigators needed to safely operate this high-containment laboratory,” states the Jan. 19, 2018, cable, which was drafted by two officials from the embassy’s environment, science and health sections who met with the WIV scientists. (The State Department declined to comment on this and other details of the story.)

“The cable tells us that there have long been concerns about the possibility of the threat to public health that came from this lab’s research, if it was not being adequately conducted and protected,” he said.

There are similar concerns about the nearby Wuhan Center for Disease Control and Prevention lab, which operates at biosecurity level 2, a level significantly less secure than the level-4 standard claimed by the Wuhan Insititute of Virology lab, Xiao said. That’s important because the Chinese government still refuses to answer basic questions about the origin of the novel coronavirus while suppressing any attempts to examine whether either lab was involved.

Sources familiar with the cables said they were meant to sound an alarm about the grave safety concerns at the WIV lab, especially regarding its work with bat coronaviruses. The embassy officials were calling for more U.S. attention to this lab and more support for it, to help it fix its problems.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … naviruses/

The virus came from somewhere, it could have passed through various animals or none. I'm doubtful a cat travelled to the bat cave then back to Wuhan all by itself.

And I'm sure it was cats travelling the world on jet aircraft spread the virus, and cats are the reason America is doing so horribly badly.

Cats, its obviously cats, and their insidious and relentless plan for world domination.

https://www.petplace.com/static/e0865ea273d83ede569c2e73bd970a00/c23ac/shutterstock_110304563.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-12 19:48:35)

uziq
+492|3452
great job. ‘the virus had to come from somewhere’.

yes, virologists also know that it likely passed through several animals. china shared the sequencing of its genome very early on. have you been reading any of the articles that have been linked on this topic?

you were sure it was because the chinese eat bats. i told you from the very first post that eating bats is a delicacy in a region 100s of km’s away from wuhan. but still you linked the tabloid stories and that one video of a bat broth, as if the chinese’s strange diet was directly responsible.

now we know the bat virus isn’t a clear match for the human one. it mutated and made a hop. pangolin scales, maybe, or any other number of similar mammals. yes, like cats.

the simple fact of the matter is that we don’t know. there is no patient zero or any smoking gun. yet you with your science godbrain leapt in with both feet to racist bashing of chinese delicacies and into resident evil lab theories. when in all likelihood, it was spreading around a human population due to exposure to a much less exciting animal host than boiling bat stew.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
From day one the general consensus is it came out of the Wuhan Bat Virus Lab or the neighbouring wet market where they keep live bats and other animals.

At this point are you really going to believe what the Chinese tell you, bearing in mind they've destroyed the samples, without some form of independent verification?
https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/china-adm … or-safety/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

iirc those were not "the general consensus," those were disputed theories. Read your own post, you use the word "or." Yes that makes it definitely one or the other!
uziq
+492|3452
i don’t believe what anyone tells me, i wait for evidence, not your consistently racist undertoned supposition. you were ranting about the chinese’s eating habits before WaPo reported anything about ‘diplomatic cables about wuhan labs’.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Really? Your habit of passing judgement based on third hand opinions is practically a meme now.

Revolting Chinese/Asian eating habits and obsession with meat consumption are likely to kill us all, we've had multiple near misses already.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

iirc those were not "the general consensus," those were disputed theories. Read your own post, you use the word "or." Yes that makes it definitely one or the other!
At this point it seems to be closely linked to the wet market, whether it got there from harvested bats or from the Bat Virus Lab is unknown at this point.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Meat is eaten everywhere people can. As an example, health publications are filled with articles about Americans eating too many hamburgers. Western diet is a literal meme. There are TV shows where people keep secret bacon in office safes.

Why is it always the Asians eating meat that gets you triggered.

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

At this point it seems to be closely linked to the wet market, whether it got there from harvested bats or from the Bat Virus Lab is unknown at this point.
Again, disputed. You're one of those types who thinks just because the Chinese government is shady means that circumstantial evidence is sure.
uziq
+492|3452

Dilbert_X wrote:

Really? Your habit of passing judgement based on third hand opinions is practically a meme now.

Revolting Chinese/Asian eating habits and obsession with meat consumption are likely to kill us all, we've had multiple near misses already.
again, also not the expert consensus, merely your own prejudices.

have linked you several times now reports stating that habitat encroachment, including for natural resources and minerals, are causing an increase in zoonotic transmission. but you’re less incensed by engineers or geologists going into the highlands than you are by people who have different gustatory habits to you. odd isn’t it?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Meat is eaten everywhere people can. As an example, health publications are filled with articles about Americans eating too many hamburgers. Why is it always the Asians eating meat that gets you triggered.
Because they eat animals which shouldn't be eaten and they have slaughterhouses and markets underneath dormitory tower blocks- a really bad combination.

Beef production and slaughter is typically remote and managed with checks and balance so outbreaks can be contained.

Wing Ping doesn't typically take viral swabs when he's dissecting a bat or monkey on the pavement and feeding the entrails to chickens and pigs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Meat is eaten everywhere people can. As an example, health publications are filled with articles about Americans eating too many hamburgers. Why is it always the Asians eating meat that gets you triggered.
Because they eat animals which shouldn't be eaten and they have slaughterhouses and markets underneath dormitory tower blocks- a really bad combination.

Beef production and slaughter is typically remote and managed with checks and balance so outbreaks can be contained.

Wing Ping doesn't typically take viral swabs when he's dissecting a bat or monkey on the pavement and feeding the entrails to chickens and pigs.
Where do you think animals live in western farms? Even ones permitted to roam outdoors often do so in some of the most disgusting (and cruel) conditions. I've seen some pretty gross slaughterhouses and butcher shops here in the US. Also, to my knowledge mad cow disease hasn't been eradicated though efforts at fighting it have reduced cases.

You can hire a guy to bring his meat truck out to your ranch and slaughter your cow right there in the mud. Controlled conditions!!

Turning this into a specific condemnation of Asian culture is stupid. Meanwhile, Mahayana Buddhists, along with observing their religious ethics, are supposed to not eat meat.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Regarding food: I just realized all you can eat buffets are gone forever. Or at least in the form that we were used to.

Fools. We had no idea what we had until we lost it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I tried my first deep-fried frog legs at an all you can eat Chinese buffet. Cleaner place and better smelling clientele than Old Country B, definitely.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6775|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

i don’t believe what anyone tells me, i wait for evidence

Dilbert_X wrote:

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/300x300/16123757.jpg
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3452
dilbert thinks i can’t think for myself because i’ve read a lot of books. be careful about condoning his usual adolescent shit if you read more than 3 books a year yourself.

oh and he’s really upset that Cats bombed and became a massive joke. so there is that, i guess. i’ll give him a point there as no way am i sitting through a fucking CGI musical.

the world's scientists, using the scientific method and relying upon sound scientific principles: in honesty, we do not know. here is what we do know.
dilbert, an engineer with 20-years CAD experience at a lathe: i know.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-13 01:51:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Where do you think animals live in western farms? Even ones permitted to roam outdoors often do so in some of the most disgusting (and cruel) conditions. I've seen some pretty gross slaughterhouses and butcher shops here in the US. Also, to my knowledge mad cow disease hasn't been eradicated though efforts at fighting it have reduced cases.

You can hire a guy to bring his meat truck out to your ranch and slaughter your cow right there in the mud. Controlled conditions!!

Turning this into a specific condemnation of Asian culture is stupid. Meanwhile, Mahayana Buddhists, along with observing their religious ethics, are supposed to not eat meat.
Thats great and all but it doesn't typically happen on the pavement outside the restaurant or next to the snack cart.

There are controls on food quality in most western countries, in asian countries there aren't, plus they eat animals which just shouldn't be eaten.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard