SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I can't find the source anymore but I thought it was more like the richest 1 or 2% globally who were responsible for the majority of travel emissions. Which, if you live in a rich western country, likely includes all of us.

Still the flights I've taken over the years pale compared to business execs and consultants who often hop on planes every other day.

Even so I've always been of the opinion that chastising people for travelling is the wrong way to go about it. Of course there's such a thing as moderation like with all things in life, i.e. don't be one of those people who wants to participate in '100 countries in a year' challenges, avoid completely unecessary business trips, but that still leaves lots of 'necessary' air traffic.

There's got to be a way to incentivise quicker adoption of sustainable energy consumption in flight and seafaring. I don't think limiting people's mobility and flight shaming (popular in scandinavia) are at all realistic. It also annoys me greatly when people pontificate their smug superiority because of their diet, consumption or travelling habits as though individual actions will do anything to address a systemic issue like climate change

/rant
Yes we must do something, just as long as no-one's lifestyle has to change at all.

I don't think I've made a single business trip which was really necessary, and I've done about half the trips I could have if I wanted. Avoided India, avoided China, avoided Malaysia, avoided a good number of trips to the US. I did pretty well everything I needed to by fax and phone. Email made it even easier.

Its exactly individual actions which will solve it, not some magical technological fix which enables everyone to carry on as normal.
Typically technological fixes solve nothing, they just enable even greater consumption.

The problem is people like you who are willing to do nothing because you won't see the point, and the other 99% of the world who want your lazy consumptive lifestyle too and don't see why they shouldn't.

/rant
The clothes you wear are most likely produced in china, the soy you eat comes from brazil, the wheat you consume from the united states, the computer and phone you're typing on a result of extensive mining operations and a complex logistics chain through multiple regions. I'm sure you have a car, or a bike. I'm sure you live in a house, the construction process of which also involves plenty CO2 emissions. Our economy and way of life has been structured in such a way that just by living, Dilbert, you're already contributing to global warming every single day.

Now some people want to go the extra mile and go absolutely batshit on personal sustainability, from the products they buy to how their house is built, solar panel rooftops, vegan diets etc. But for how many is that a realistic option? If you didn't realise, always going to the artisanal baker/butcher and buying all your stuff locally produced is expensive as fuck. How is a median income household with a kid or two going to afford that? Is average joe busdriver supposed to spend his entire income here?

This idea that your personal diet and travelling habits, or consumption habits in general really, AT ALL compensate for the greenhouse gas emission dependency of the entire economic system is deluded. I haven't even touched on the emissions generated by business in their dealing with other private sector parties...
My house is okay for being 90ish years old but if I had to build a new house from scratch I would be really interested in weatherproofing, energy efficiency, and stop trolling the solar panel people. I think the western middle class could consume less without breaking the bank. I realize my own hypocrisy here.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

We should all pitch in for some land and build a bf2s compound. Everyone here has their own unique talent that can be applied on the bf2skibbutz.
uziq
+492|3453
larssen hit the nail on the head. dilbert’s whole quality of living and lifestyle is predicated on being high up the food chain in a global-fossil fuel system. we have to think about societal-wide green new deals not changing to do our groceries at the local market.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

We should all pitch in for some land and build a bf2s compound. Everyone here has their own unique talent that can be applied on the bf2skibbutz.
I think I'd go full John Galt and let you all starve.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
youre a farmer?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

larssen hit the nail on the head. dilbert’s whole quality of living and lifestyle is predicated on being high up the food chain in a global-fossil fuel system. we have to think about societal-wide green new deals not changing to do our groceries at the local market.
Except its you two who have unproductive parasitic lifestyles and probably a higher level of consumption than me.

Larssen can gripe all he likes, every action has some carbon consequence, there's not going to be a technological fix which allows people to travel and consume as much as they want or to continue increasing population exponentially.

As I've said, most technological improvements are instantly negated or worse by increased consumption. Improving the efficiency of jet engines, and the development has been incredible, has only resulted in more people travelling and more fuel getting burned, for example.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Not even sure where to start on that one, dilbs. Uzique and larssen have "unproductive parasitic lifestyles," but you are an immigrant engineer who designs parts for the military (and bemoans military action elsewhere, I might add) while getting paid (probably well enough for an engineer) with money funneled up somewhere in the chain from taxpayers. While living at home with your parents (not on its own a mark of condemnation, but couldn't you at least afford your own place nearby if you and your parents like hanging out?). Can your house be any more glass.
uziq
+492|3453
look at the high and mighty manlet, living in an annexe of his parents house and feeling great about the fact he has no friends, never goes anywhere, and eats quinoa! phwoar!

get an adjustment you cuck.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I'm all for multigenerational housing if all parties involved are amenable. It conserves resources and slows the suburban sprawl. It's nice when taxpayer money goes back into the working public. It's just that then calling someone else's way of living and career choice a parasitic lifestyle is playing with fire.

"lolz u habe no responsibilites"
uziq
+492|3453
how is my lifestyle unproductive when this guy thinks he’s brilliant because he designs death machines for the navy?

how much l money did the country invest in dilbert from age 1-25? especially considering he grew up in an era of subsidised higher-education and essentially free everything. hundreds of thousands at least. how much tax has he paid whilst domiciled in the U.K.?

why is larssen’s lifestyle unproductive?

just really quite a bizarre little man.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Being an editor doesn't seem unproductive at all. And not to wank at all, but helping out on keeping scientific publications readable is a great service. Even if all you did was work on YA fiction, it's still an industry with a demand. Who exactly does dilbert think you're being a parasite to?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

look at the high and mighty manlet, living in an annexe of his parents house and feeling great about the fact he has no friends, never goes anywhere, and eats quinoa! phwoar!

Ah, insults, doesn't change the fact you yourself produce nothing tangible or useful - moving words around in someone else's actual work and forwarding it to the printer.
uziq
+492|3453
i guess a person who pays his own way in life, has a socially useful job in the cultural sector, literally concerned with the production and dissemination of knowledge, is a ‘parasite’.

why anyone who has emigrated to another country and felt entitled to a slice of their good life feels further entitled to call others ‘parasites’ is beyond me. probably best to tuck that one away in a little pocket of one’s vocabulary until it’s really warranted.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-11 22:31:36)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Ah, insults, doesn't change the fact you yourself produce nothing tangible or useful - moving words around in someone else's actual work and forwarding it to the printer.
Reading unchecked documentation written by a brilliant scientist or engineer who got a C in English sounds like a quick path to a massive headache.

Do you not think it important for these things to be clear, concise, and written/presented in more or less standard language? Should a DIYer who can frame but not set up drywall not hire a drywaller to come in and finish things off?
uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

you have no idea what editors do. it’s creative work. some editors have a huge input to a book’s structure and scope. some editors come up with the idea for the damn book and pitch it to several writers.

just as there are jobbing editors who ‘shuffle words around’, so there are work-a-day hacks who can spin out 2-3 books a year on demand, on almost any subject. once you have basic research skills and practice, writing a book isn’t necessarily the pinnacle of creativity, either, dilbert.

editors and writers have a collaborative relationship, i’m sorry this has to be explained to you. it’s not a novel dynamic; i guess you’re just a philistine.

let me know the next time you buy and pick-up a book that hasn’t been typeset or edited by the way. i’m sure you’re reading those all the time. i mean why buy books with all that useless editing and polish?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

I've seen editor/author working relationships talked about a lot in afterwards and acknowledgements. Some of them are jokingly resentful at their baby being modified, and some are genuinely thankful for the constructive feedback that improved the final product in ways they would never have thought of on their own. Calling an editor a glorified spell checker seems to me like a fundamental misunderstanding of the job typical of the disdain I'm used to hearing from STEM students about humanities in general.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i guess a person who pays his own way in life, has a socially useful job in the cultural sector, literally concerned with the production and dissemination of knowledge, is a ‘parasite’.

why anyone who has emigrated to another country and felt entitled to a slice of their good life feels further entitled to call others ‘parasites’ is beyond me. probably best to tuck that one away in a little pocket of one’s vocabulary until it’s really warranted.
When have I suggested I'm entitled to anything?
uziq
+492|3453
the need for editing in scientific research is also critical. standardising knowledge and making it uniform and homogeneous are absolutely crucial to research. ditto archiving and indexing services. if the knowledge isn’t accessible and easily transmissible, then it’s all going into a big hole somewhere and never being to the benefit of the scientific endeavour.

in both nonfiction and more obviously in the global scientific community, execrable and unclear writing is common. you’d be surprised how many named authors turn in desultory first drafts that are barely literate; how many book manuscripts have glaring holes in them or acres of missing research and citation; how many authors have blindspots in their knowledge and stylistic tics and solecisms that they struggle to self-identify. an editor smoothes all that out and helps the final thing take shape. a vast number of books are as lucid and concise as they are because they have been polished by several editors in collaboration with an author. only the very top-tier of writer exists in that rarefied atmosphere where they don’t need to take the counsel of a trusted editor, and can proceed ‘straight to the printer’ (lmao, how quaint).

in the case of scientific research, often the findings are novel or even groundbreaking but the communication and explication is lost in the thickets of bad writing. the value of taking time to get the paper in good shape is obvious. i sincerely doubt dilbert has ever had to try and read (or study) a research paper crucial to his area of expertise/career that is unfortunately hastily presented in garbled italian or chinglish. good luck with that.

i don’t think any of this stuff is brilliant or heroic stuff. but it’s a profession that’s about 500 years old at this point. if it was valueless or parasitic you’d have thought it’d be sloughed off at some point. dilbert needs the basics of knowledge production and cultural/media output explained to him. it’s perfectly quaint.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm all for multigenerational housing if all parties involved are amenable. It conserves resources and slows the suburban sprawl. It's nice when taxpayer money goes back into the working public. It's just that then calling someone else's way of living and career choice a parasitic lifestyle is playing with fire.

So why raise the issue as an insult? I could buy or build a house, outfit it with fridge, freezer, AC etc, so what? Would it be efficient to do so? No.

Parasitic in that nothing useful is created or produced, not by uziq.

uziq 'publishes' scientific papers no? I imagine the 'collaboration' is pretty well one way.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-11 22:54:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the need for editing in scientific research is also critical. standardising knowledge and making it uniform and homogeneous are absolutely crucial to research. ditto archiving and indexing services. if the knowledge isn’t accessible and easily transmissible, then it’s all going into a big hole somewhere and never being to the benefit of the scientific endeavour.

in both nonfiction and more obviously in the global scientific community, execrable and unclear writing is common. you’d be surprised how many named authors turn in desultory first drafts that are barely literate; how many book manuscripts have glaring holes in them or acres of missing research and citation; how many authors have blindspots in their knowledge and stylistic tics and solecisms that they struggle to self-identify. an editor smoothes all that out and helps the final thing take shape. a vast number of books are as lucid and concise as they are because they have been polished by several editors in collaboration with an author. only the very top-tier of writer exists in that rarefied atmosphere where they don’t need to take the counsel of a trusted editor, and can proceed ‘straight to the printer’ (lmao, how quaint).

in the case of scientific research, often the findings are novel or even groundbreaking but the communication and explication is lost in the thickets of bad writing. the value of taking time to get the paper in good shape is obvious. i sincerely doubt dilbert has ever had to try and read (or study) a research paper crucial to his area of expertise/career that is unfortunately hastily presented in garbled italian or chinglish. good luck with that.

i don’t think any of this stuff is brilliant or heroic stuff. but it’s a profession that’s about 500 years old at this point. if it was valueless or parasitic you’d have thought it’d be sloughed off at some point. dilbert needs the basics of knowledge production and cultural/media output explained to him. it’s perfectly quaint.
I've read hundreds if not thousands of raw unedited papers, never had any problem understanding anything in some pretty arcane areas.
uziq
+492|3453

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've seen editor/author working relationships talked about a lot in afterwards and acknowledgements. Some of them are jokingly resentful at their baby being modified, and some are genuinely thankful for the constructive feedback that improved the final product in ways they would never have thought of on their own. Calling an editor a glorified spell checker seems to me like a fundamental misunderstanding of the job typical of the disdain I'm used to hearing from STEM students about humanities in general.
editors get mentioned explicitly in the foreword or acknowledgments a lot, and for a reason beyond mere courtesy: because a very good editors work is by its very nature invisible.

every time you’ve picked up a book and had a pleasure reading it, cover to cover, without being snagged on terrible presentation, distracted by typos or poor formatting, confused by belaboured or otiose argument, lost in logic gaps or left felt wanting by an undeveloped passage or idea — that’s because an editor and several proofreaders have been over it.

a writer who can produce 150,000 or 300,000 words of their expert knowledge in one go with almost perfect cohesion and flawless development is a very good writer indeed. publishers actively seek them out. they are the proverbial golden goose. the simple fact is that it takes someone 3-5 years to do the groundwork for such a project, and years more of drafting and re-drafting. the vast majority of ‘excellent’ books have had a small army of ‘word pushers’ with a hand in them.
uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So why raise the issue as an insult? I could buy or build a house, outfit it with fridge, freezer, AC etc, so what? Would it be efficient to do so? No.

uziq 'publishes' scientific papers no? I imagine the 'collaboration' is pretty well one way.
there’s a bit more to publishing than clicking a button saying ‘publish’ or sending things to the printer. every single part of the article involves someone’s expertise. language, writing, figure and table presentation, typesetting, references and citations, indexing and archiving ... making research uniform and to standard style across many journals, so that a community can seamlessly navigate between them ...

i mean no research scientist would dismiss the value added by peer-reviewers or their publishers, both who step in after the ‘pre-print’ paper has already been produced. once again it’s a case of Dilbert Knows Best!!!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia

Dilbert wrote:

I've read hundreds if not thousands of raw unedited papers, never had any problem understanding anything in some pretty arcane areas.
you've never came upon a badly written piece of tech documentation working as an engineer? really?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I don't raise it as an insult so much as questioningly. Why would someone living with their parents, even if both parties are fine with it, trip over themselves to call someone else a redundant, parasitic member of society? It's like a muck monster emerging from a toilet to tell someone to clean their bathroom.

I think most people here agree that putting books and scientific papers into clear, well laid out thought and language is a well established and perfectly respectable white-collar profession. Only you seem to be making the argument that uzique just shuffles words and then sends it to the HP queue (wat). At this point I don't know whether to take you seriously on that or write it off as a troll.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Shahter wrote:

Dilbert wrote:

you've never came upon a badly written piece of tech documentation working as an engineer? really?
Of course, but fine-tuning a bit of text isn't exactly creative is it?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard