Larssen
+99|1889
He spoke to the camera after and seemed fine though, his usual rowdy self.
uziq
+492|3453
he looks pale, sounds raspy, and is clearly high as a kite. i do not think he is in good health. not life threatening, not yet anyway, but he's nowhere near 'beat it' like he is trying to portray.

i wish donald well but what on earth are the white house team thinking? letting him loose on twitter, letting him release these totally bizarre video tweets. putting out these dramatic propaganda montages set to action movie music of his return.

it's like those youtube videos of kids after dental surgery, only it's a world leader with nuclear codes.
Larssen
+99|1889
I just don't understand why they let him out of the hospital if it's clear that there is no way the virus completely left his system in a matter of days. He needs to quarantine.

But perhaps it's a stunt to showcase that quarantine isn't even 'necessary'. It's clear that Trump will double down on the notion that covid isnt a threat.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
The White House has a hospital and they probably reinforced its facilities while he was in a real hospital. The bigger issue is that he turned the White House into a private sanitarium. And we don't know what is really going on there because the press won't be allowed to go in while it is a COVID hive nest.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3453

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The White House has a hospital and they probably reinforced its facilities while he was in a real hospital. The bigger issue is that he turned the White House into a private sanitarium. And we don't know what is really going on there because the press won't be allowed to go in while it is a COVID hive nest.
the even bigger issue is that several white house domestic staff have tested positive, and he is actively putting many more people at risk. totally unnecessarily, of course. his secret service tour-bus drivers are only part of the overall picture of complete psychopathic selfishness.

in all of trump's messaging about covid he has only spoken about his illness, his recovery, his 'triumph'. 'do not let covid run your life!' he says. meanwhile a bunch of domestic staff at the white house who can't afford the world's best doctors and medical facilities are now facing their own potentially life-threatening battle with the disease. trump hasn't once mentioned the people in his inner circle who have tested positive, and the white house staff are actively refusing to follow up with contact tracing for the rose garden party.

almost monstrously irresponsible and a total synecdoche for why america has 220,000 dead and counting. your leadership simply do not care about the people in the most emphatic way.
Larssen
+99|1889
At least the doctors seem to have figured out something important if he remains well until monday. He is undeniably a risk category in multiple ways and it is evident that the start of his case of corona seems off the norm as well. Usually people start developing symptoms on the 5th day, yet with Trump it was almost immediately and there's indicators he might've needed breathing assistance, leading to the conclusion that he was on his way to develop a more serious infection if it weren't for the very early medical intervention.

Of course one patient doesn't say much but perhaps here's an argument to trial early remdisivir and dexamethasone with more people. Only other issue is that he got an experimental antibody therapy that isn't available yet.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-06 07:12:36)

uziq
+492|3453
er, yes, and the entire world's supply of remdesivir was pretty much snatched up by america early on. it is being heavily rationed and restricted here in the UK at the moment, for example. you have to be seriously sick to be treated with it (same as usual s.o.p. for dexamethasone).

there will be a phase to this pandemic when a few promising vaccines/treatments have been figured out but their distribution/access will become a serious political quagmire. donald trump is an excellent example of the chances of survival for america's 1%. many frontline workers affected by the pandemic were not so fortunate; 200,000 people didn't get to even say goodbye to their loved ones, due to strict quarantine conditions, whereas trump has been surrounded by his loved ones and let out of hospital. what does that say about 'equality' in democracy? the rich, it seems, have more of a right to life (and a good death) than the poor. but that's just stating the obvious.

but yes, the 'promising' part of any cure depends as much upon its 'promise' of quick and effective distribution inasmuch as it needs a 'promising' efficacious mechanism.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
It has still been less than a week. And while he will be the study case for optimal treatment for a man his age and health, he isn't out of the woods yet. And we really don't know for a fact what is going on in the White House of horrors. Hhe could have a doctor with an air tank within arms reach 24/7. And he looks like shit whenever he is out in public.
Larssen
+99|1889
what irks me is that some media are adopting the dilbert approach in evaluating Germany's handling of the corona crisis. By virtue of the fact that Merkel's a scientist, she apparently has a better and deeper understanding of the coronavirus pandemic and how to communicate about it. In comes a segment of her explaining exponential growth, which is obviously something you can only understand if you have a PhD in physics...

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-06 10:04:25)

uziq
+492|3453
dilbert probably does ascribe merkel's capacities as a leader to her 'scientific background'.

let's just ignore the uncomfortable fact that she joined the free german youth (FDJ) party and was interested in marxist-leninist doctrine as a youth ... remember, that stuff is the reason why xi jinping, another scientist by background, cannot be a good leader!

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia

Shahter wrote:

just volunteered for stage 3 testing of gamaleya vaccine.
and got rejected. no allergies allowed, apparently, no matter how long the remission is.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3453
the culture of 'masks are for traitors' in the white house now means half of the pentagon's top brass are self-isolating.

trump's anti-scientific bullshit is literally a national security risk. what other country in the world has had an executive and military leadership knocked out of action by the pandemic?
Larssen
+99|1889
Facebook has deleted a post in which President Trump had claimed Covid-19 was "less lethal" than the flu.

Mr Trump is at the White House after three days of hospital treatment having tested positive for the virus.

He wrote the US had "learned to live with" flu season, "just like we are learning to live with Covid, in most populations far less lethal!!!
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54440662

I'm not even american and this man manages to irritate me daily. If he gets another 4 years I wouldn't be surprised at the prospect of another civil war. Absolute madness.
uziq
+492|3453
imagine being unable to attend your wife’s or parent’s bedside whilst they die. imagine not being able to have a funeral service.

then your president recuperates in 3 days and keeps telling everyone it’s no big deal.

your national leader. the figurehead. the cynosure of the people.

what sort of masochistic self-abnegating red neck actually laps up this shit? you are basically being gaslit by your commander-in-chief. all because he’s too stubborn to backtrack or admit mistakes.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Idk who’s gonna be fighting this civil war. Most of the people routinely not wearing masks in crowded public spaces are just waddling along (like the pres).

https://i.ibb.co/KhfkDfS/CCF99213-F6-BB-4-DA4-9-A52-E2-F7-C9284930.jpg

Last edited by Superior Mind (2020-10-06 12:16:51)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

uziq wrote:

imagine being unable to attend your wife’s or parent’s bedside whilst they die. imagine not being able to have a funeral service.

then your president recuperates in 3 days and keeps telling everyone it’s no big deal.

your national leader. the figurehead. the cynosure of the people.

what sort of masochistic self-abnegating red neck actually laps up this shit? you are basically being gaslit by your commander-in-chief. all because he’s too stubborn to backtrack or admit mistakes.
There was a statistic that 30% of people who lost a relative to COVID still intends to vote for Trump.

In other news, Trump announced that he is stopping talks with Congress over a second stimulus. Not sure why he would be so dead set against one so close to the election...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Superior Mind wrote:

Idk who’s gonna be fighting this civil war. Most of the people routinely not wearing masks in crowded public spaces are just waddling along (like the pres).

https://i.ibb.co/KhfkDfS/CCF99213-F6-BB-4-DA4-9-A52-E2-F7-C9284930.jpg
You would either have to be really stupid or crazy to want a civil war in this country. A lot of right wingers probably think they would storm into Washington and take it over like Operation Iraqi Freedom took Baghdad. The reality of the situation would be mass death for people you care and don't care about. The dictator of Syria even lost relatives in their civil war. What could possibly make the average American think they would be more special?
uziq
+492|3453
i don’t want a civil war or even violence in america. the loss of stability would throw world democracy into another dark age. almost certainly a long senescence if the next century and two sees a continued global pivot to china.

the european union sure as hell won’t keep the torch burning for democracy in the world. they can barely summon fellow-feeling for one another in this crisis. it took months and a lot of moaning and foot dragging to even address the initial covid outbreaks in italy and spain. nobody is going to be inspired by that dry bureaucratic parent-teacher’s association.
Larssen
+99|1889
These things don't start overnight as some black and white, evil vs good, government vs the people type of thing. It's simply fact that over the last 20 years or so social tensions in the US among various groups have done nothing but rise. There are many factors to Trump's election, but undeniably he was chosen by a large part of your voting population precisely because he facilitates and even feeds on division & controversy, because he doesn't compromise and seeks only to dominate others. And we've seen so in the last 4 years. Everywhere he goes he incites anger. If it's not for his self-aggrandisement and lies, it's for his blatant disregard for laws, norms, alliances, people's lives, even democracy.

How long can that go on, during a health crisis, during economically hard times, without it ever escalating? There is a breaking point after which protests start turning into pockets of violence, and while it seems a yet distant future in which that becomes a structural problem, it is certainly possible if the US keeps electing figures like Trump. It is even possible with Trump.
uziq
+492|3453
the problem is *checks notes* capitalism. you can keep re-bedding the parterre, and i'm sure it looks awful prim and nice afterwards, but all the paths still lead to the same shit result. capitalism is a giant sifting mechanism between haves and have nots. and trickle down is the composting manure.
Larssen
+99|1889
Very shahterian.

No, I don't think the entirety of the problem can be reduced to capitalism or economics. It is an important permissive condition, but if it were catalytical or otherwise causal, most of the poor countries in the world would be in some state of civil war. Alongside that you need a divisive political process gone haywire, perhaps a dysfunctional state, strong intergroup resentment (be it religious, ethnic, otherwise). It happens to be the case that Trump embodies some of this, being seriously discriminatory and exclusionary in his politics and sabotaging his government at every possible step. Most importantly he insists on an 'us' and 'them' narrative, seeing himself only as president for the people he considers his loyal supporters. The 'others' are not his people, they're the blue states, the Biden america, who he tries to punish or blame at every possible opportunity. That rhetoric is so toxic that if sustained it will divide people to a point that reconciliation is no longer possible. Of course, the economic conditions esp. reaganomics help in increasing radicalism within the country, as people become more susceptible to blame others and rage at them as their personal situation worsens or remains without improvement.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-10-06 13:43:02)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
I further wonder what is wrong in the lives of right wingers who collect guns in anticipation of the antifa civil war on the liberals. I don't even live in a bubble of paranoia and hate to that degree. Like just smoke pot, buy things off Amazon, and become friends with a stripper if you are lonely. Life is not that bad that people need to die over it.
uziq
+492|3453
https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/statu … s-fox-news

i do enjoy rudy giuliani's '1970s comic book villain' vibe.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I further wonder what is wrong in the lives of right wingers who collect guns in anticipation of the antifa civil war on the liberals. I don't even live in a bubble of paranoia and hate to that degree. Like just smoke pot, buy things off Amazon, and become friends with a stripper if you are lonely. Life is not that bad that people need to die over it.
The lives of some of these guys probably aren't without a reasonable share of troubles to be fair, but I expect are still relatively benign. I do subscribe to the hypothesis that decades of unconstrained, rabble-rousing programming have turned a lot of people towards extremes. Anecdotally, I've seen it in action. Moderate in the 80s, eager "civil war prepper/fetishist/gossiper" later on. Mostly toward the right. And the resentment only grows.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Fairness-Doctrine

Fairness doctrine, U.S. communications policy (1949–87) formulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that required licensed radio and television broadcasters to present fair and balanced coverage of controversial issues of interest to their communities, including by devoting equal airtime to opposing points of view.
RIP, thanks to Reagan.

Guy I know, the sort who sometimes gets into the wine and then for the rest of the day darkly waxes on about how he hopes the g-men will come for his guns, who cuts out pics of democratic politicians and slaps them on a dart board, recently had himself worked up about Eskimo Pies being rebranded. "Where does it end! They should get rid of the Fighting Irish and Popeyes and the word chicken (?)! They've all lost their minds!" Like guy, you haven't had an Eskimo Pie in years, words out of your own mouth. You switched to another brand, then stopped eating that as well because you're trying to lose weight. Why are you taking this as a personal attack? "Political correctness run amok!" Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with it being a marketing decision.

Oddly bounces back and forth between cop support in matters BLM. Angry about a guy being shot seven times in the back, but the peaceful protesters rioters need to go home! I suppose it doesn't help that his company is involved in some of the private property cleanup measures after. Expected the worst damage when a march had announced its point of termination was at the lot of a park/museum (there was no damage, just some litter).

This doesn't at all seem very unexpected or rare for an "angry old white guy" being told for tens of years that the left was out to get him. To say nothing of people who were growing up listening to this crap.

Pretty easy to pull people into pandemic politicization.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
Very good and thoughtful response. Thank you.

I had to Google what an Eskimo Pie was though.
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/201006083650-20201006-eskimo-pie-product-large-169.jpg
I have never seen this before. Do you do not have Häagen-Dazs where you live?
https://www.haagendazs.us/sites/site.prod1.haagendazs.us/files/product/package-image/Bar_Vanilla-Milk-Almond-Ice-Cream.png
What about Klondike bars?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41EFJFwj4yL.jpg
RTHKI, you live near the woodlands. What ice cream do you have there?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard