Larssen
+99|1886

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I'm sorry Dilbert but global cooperation on nature & climate preservation aren't engineering problems. We'll call if we need someone to plug numbers into matlab
We're not talking about preserving anything, when we're decades past the tipping point we will literally need to re-terraform the planet and do it very quickly.
Knitting a few shopping bags and taking the bus once a week is not going to cut it when both polar ice-sheets are gone and we have global firestorms and nation-scale flooding at the same time.
What are the history buffs going to then? "Ooh maybe I could publish a book about this"
Global cooperation on 'terraforming the planet' still isn't an engineering problem dilbert.

I reckon publishing a book about why/how people fucked up something is always a pretty good idea.
uziq
+492|3450
dilbert, how do you think scientific knowledge and expertise has been shared? between generations of researchers, temporally? across communities and networks of scientists, spatially? published and printed codexes, learned journals, books, etc, often in a scholarly ‘learned’ language, literally formed the first truly collaborative international networks and supra-national authorities in europe.

sharing knowledge and findings in journals and books is literally one of the most revolutionary things that western civilisation has done. if you want to look for a reason why ‘the whites’ are ahead of ‘the blacks’, gutenberg is a better explanation than genetics. from 1500 onwards we were off.

your contempt for ‘writing about things and reflecting’ is just weak shit. do you solve every engineering problem by going back and defining first principles or something? get the fuck over yourself. you’re not pythagoras, you’re a simpering idiot trapped in a company he hates and living at home. not quite saving the world, you eunuch.
uziq
+492|3450
dilbert: we are doomed as a species, the idiots have taken over. have you heard of a film called idiocracy, by the way? wow it’s deep.
also dilbert: LOL writing books nice one guys fuckin GAY hahahah
uziq
+492|3450

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

a drama in 5 acts.

May 26, 2020
https://nyti.ms/3d810fS
'We’re Reopening Notre Dame. It’s Worth the Risk.'
by fr. john i. jenkins, president of notre dame university.

August 18, 2020
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcev … n-one-day/
'Notre Dame’s Coronavirus Outbreak Triples With 80 New Cases In One Day'

August 18, 2020
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/18/notre-d … -says.html
'Notre Dame temporarily shifts to remote classes to try to curb coronavirus outbreak, warns it may send students home'

September 30, 2020.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/how-notre … -wildfire/
'How Notre Dame let coronavirus ‘spread like wildfire’'

October 2, 2020.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/02/us/n … index.html
'Notre Dame president tests positive for Covid-19 nearly a week after attending SCOTUS announcement with no mask'

isn't it fucking amazing that the only person here on this forum who caught a dose of covid (along with his nearest and dearest) is the one who was espousing all this 'it's just flu guys', 'mask-wearing pussies!' rhetoric. wouldn't surprise me if the notre dame president is utterly fucked by it. what do they call this sort of character arc in theological circles? 'divine justice' perhaps?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

It reminds me in some ways of a game of "the floor is lava," but in a room where it actually is. And the loudest dope there is telling people to step off the table.

Sadly, I can't think of a single covid-19 diminishing acquaintance who that chain of articles will convince, but at least it'll make them sulk for a bit before plying me for more of their nonsense. They usually fall back to binary absolutes. "Well, we have no choice."
uziq
+492|3450
the truly sick shit with universities/higher education is that the chancellors/admin insisted that their staff magically adapt and pivot their courses to full online tuition/zoom lectures/e-learning, etc., with zero notice or assistance. by and large there was no training, no technical orientation courses, no top-down management and delegation. teachers had to improvise mid-way through a term to see their students through their spring/summer 2020 examinations.

fast forward to after the summer recess and the beginning of a new academic year. staff have been pummelled with the stress and burden of adapting their courses for online learning. they've worked out the kinks, struggled with the software, acclimatised to the new normal.

what do the university admins say? against the teacher's wishes, the union's wishes, and the scientific guidance?

WE'RE REOPENING CAMPUSES. WE MUST OFFER FACE-TO-FACE LEARNING.

it's all about the fucking money.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-04 05:17:19)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6773|Moscow, Russia

uziq wrote:

isn't it fucking amazing that the only person here on this forum who caught a dose of covid (along with his nearest and dearest) is the one who was espousing all this 'it's just flu guys', 'mask-wearing pussies!' rhetoric.
jay caught the virus? O_o
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Or so he says, after spending time in this thread making fun of people for staying at home and washing their hands. Apparently a "mild case" that he got over quickly and earned invulnerable antibodies or something.
uziq
+492|3450

Shahter wrote:

uziq wrote:

isn't it fucking amazing that the only person here on this forum who caught a dose of covid (along with his nearest and dearest) is the one who was espousing all this 'it's just flu guys', 'mask-wearing pussies!' rhetoric.
jay caught the virus? O_o
jay was the most vociferous opponent of the ‘cautious’ covid rhetoric here and the one parroting all the white house/fox news messaging. and he got it way early in america’s first wave. wife and household had it too.

oh and he went back out into society prematurely whilst still possibly contagious.
Larssen
+99|1886
He also contracted swine flu start of the decade. Wore it like a badge of honor.
uziq
+492|3450
i thought he used it as a pretext to drop out of college?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

uziq
+492|3450
kind of silly talk to be honest. half the other 'outraged' doctors pointed out how risky the photo-op was to the special services. the presidential motorcade's cars are hermetically sealed in case of a chemical attack. somehow i doubt pedestrians stood on the side of the road are at risk when the car passes them at 50kp/h.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Just updated with his followup. Still a dumb show.

If the president dies, maybe they can replace him with an actor like in Moon Over Parador.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

dilbert, how do you think scientific knowledge and expertise has been shared? between generations of researchers, temporally? across communities and networks of scientists, spatially? published and printed codexes, learned journals, books, etc, often in a scholarly ‘learned’ language, literally formed the first truly collaborative international networks and supra-national authorities in europe.

sharing knowledge and findings in journals and books is literally one of the most revolutionary things that western civilisation has done. if you want to look for a reason why ‘the whites’ are ahead of ‘the blacks’, gutenberg is a better explanation than genetics. from 1500 onwards we were off.

your contempt for ‘writing about things and reflecting’ is just weak shit. do you solve every engineering problem by going back and defining first principles or something? get the fuck over yourself. you’re not pythagoras, you’re a simpering idiot trapped in a company he hates and living at home. not quite saving the world, you eunuch.
Thats great and all but actually getting things done does require people with training and experience in getting things done, not looking backwards and endlessly critiquing the past.

Feel free to write an analysis of Boris "I went to Oxford and I can speak Latin" Johnson's performance so far. I'm sure it will be riveting.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/78f5ea385c5ba741f175aee6bb7338d91aaf9790/109_0_3874_2325/master/3874.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=f972e5eed48886a3a6665f04911ee9fb
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Global cooperation on 'terraforming the planet' still isn't an engineering problem dilbert.
There's exactly zero chance of cooperation, if there is any at all it will be decades too late and well past the point of a realistic solution apart from a Dyson sphere so it won't be an engineering problem either.

I reckon publishing a book about why/how people fucked up something is always a pretty good idea.
Yes, much more useful than putting the effort into not fucking up in the first place.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

How I picture Dilbert, given the opportunity on the internet to extol the supremacy of engineering over all.

https://i.imgur.com/AXUFZWV.jpg

If it only weren't for that blasted hedgehog.
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Thats great and all but actually getting things done does require people with training and experience in getting things done, not looking backwards and endlessly critiquing the past.

Feel free to write an analysis of Boris "I went to Oxford and I can speak Latin" Johnson's performance so far. I'm sure it will be riveting.

for the umpteenth time, someone's university subject choice at age 18 has very little to do with their ability to lead, especially during a crisis, and little to do with their adult character, either.

and for every boris johnson, there's a churchill figure who did see the value in historical knowledge and the classics. so what is your fucking point?

you are simply boring. you say the same pig-ignorant things over and over and think you're expressing a 'worldview'. you are a very silly, trivial man.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Churchill was a consistently dreadful leader who made mistake after mistake decade after decade and rode on luck and the skill of other people but took the credit for himself.
The comparison with Johnson is apt.
uziq
+492|3450
churchill went to sandhurst and didn't study at eton or oxford.

he read history in his spare time as well as close-study of plato. he thought it important.

so you might have to revise your thesis that 'humanities students are the worst ever'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
His father wanted him to prepare for a military career and so his last three years at Harrow were in the army form.[14] After two unsuccessful attempts to gain admittance to the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, he succeeded on his third.[15] He was accepted as a cadet in the cavalry, starting in September 1893
Daddy bought him a spot riding a horse, not really any kind of education eh?

And I think we've proven that arts hobbyists are the worst people.
uziq
+492|3450
reading history and plato is not an 'arts hobby'. plein air watercolouring is an arts hobby.

i really have no idea whatever where your 'national leaders' degrees' bingo game even goes, anyway. when anyone points out to you that thatcher was a science graduate, you then start declaiming her credentials as a 'real' scientist. it never ends. you keep shifting the rules of the game to suit your extremely idiosyncratic personal standard.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-05 01:49:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Did he do any exams?
Its a fucking hobby.
uziq
+492|3450
and my point was that churchill was a competent leader during a time of national crisis, not that he had an unimpeachable record (lol good luck finding any imperial politician without blood on his hands). one is a fop and a coward and the other rose to the challenge; both read humanities. OmG my heAd huRts. where is the rule here? only dilbert can scry and divine it!

i think it's far more important - and instructive - to worry about what the world's pre-eminent powers are doing, rather than endlessly carping on the affairs of a second-rate-going-on-third-rate minor island nation like great britain and what its outdated imperial elite are up to. like, for instance, the fact that the greatest powers on earth, and those by far most responsible for your 'climate emergency', the US and china, have governments totally void and bereft of arts/humanities types. trump infamously has never read a book voluntarily in his life; and i doubt xi jinping spends much time in the company of philosophers.

MAKE U THINK doesn't it? the most chauvinistic, belligerent, rude and irresponsible governments on the planet have no cultivated or reflective humanities types. the most powerful man in the world, and the greatest threat to the west (in your estimation), is a SCIENTIST by training! wow can it be any coincidence that they have millions of people in forced re-education camps and are systematically committing cultural genocide based on some misbegotten eugenicist notion of 'han supremacy'?! we need to stop these scientists! they are ruining the planet! oh the inhumanity! etc etc ad nauseam.

Last edited by uziq (2020-10-05 02:40:33)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Over the next few years, Mao Zedong enrolled and dropped out of a police academy, a soap-production school, a law school, an economics school, and the government-run Changsha Middle School.[26] Studying independently, he spent much time in Changsha's library, reading core works of classical liberalism such as Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations and Montesquieu's The Spirit of the Laws, as well as the works of western scientists and philosophers such as Darwin, Mill, Rousseau, and Spencer.[27] Viewing himself as an intellectual, years later he admitted that at this time he thought himself better than working people.[28] He was inspired by Friedrich Paulsen, whose liberal emphasis on individualism led Mao to believe that strong individuals were not bound by moral codes but should strive for the greater good, and that the "end justifies the means" conclusion of Consequentialism.[29] His father saw no use in his son's intellectual pursuits, cut off his allowance and forced him to move into a hostel for the destitute.

Mao desired to become a teacher and enrolled at the Fourth Normal School of Changsha, which soon merged with the First Normal School of Changsha, widely seen as the best in Hunan.[31] Befriending Mao, professor Yang Changji urged him to read a radical newspaper, New Youth (Xin qingnian), the creation of his friend Chen Duxiu, a dean at Peking University. Although a Chinese nationalist, Chen argued that China must look to the west to cleanse itself of superstition and autocracy.[32] Mao published his first article in New Youth in April 1917, instructing readers to increase their physical strength to serve the revolution.[33] He joined the Society for the Study of Wang Fuzhi (Chuan-shan Hsüeh-she), a revolutionary group founded by Changsha literati who wished to emulate the philosopher Wang Fuzhi.
Sounds like a classic hipster TBH, probably not the path I think leaders should take.

In his first school year, Mao befriended an older student, Xiao Zisheng; together they went on a walking tour of Hunan, begging and writing literary couplets to obtain food.
LMAO

From 1975 to 1979, Xi studied chemical engineering at Beijing's Tsinghua University as a "Worker-Peasant-Soldier student". The engineering majors there spent about 15 percent of their time studying Marxism–Leninism–Mao Zedong thought
I think I've found the problem area.

the US and china, have governments totally void and bereft of arts/humanities types
Great, maybe we can start undoing the damage done.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-10-05 03:34:34)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard