uziq
+492|3448
at this point i am fully convinced that half the population of the west have become impervious to facts. it doesn't matter what you present them with, they are convinced that covid (like face-masks, like vaccines, like 5G, like the round earth) are 'fake news'. i seriously see all these viewpoints and reality-denying tendencies joining up. there's like an aquifer of stupid underneath the internet where all the dumb facebook posts and dopey takes run off.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ei2a2wAXsAE_PNO?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 02:27:34)

Larssen
+99|1883
I feel it's worse in the english speaking world than elsewhere, but underlying these movements is an erosion of the legitimacy of the state, universities and other institutions that comprise or are associated with the status quo. It can't be a coincidence that this is happening amidst growing wealth disparity and decreasing social mobility. Plus the harmful effect optimisation algorithms on the internet seem to have on our communities at large.
uziq
+492|3448
a sizable slice of the population now seriously believe in 'pizzagate', that there's a satanic cabal of child-traffickers with a dungeon beneath a pizza restaurant in newark, NJ or something. i mean how do you even begin to explain to these people that, actually, covid-19 is a real virus and is measurably more harmful than flu? we are not even in the same universe. conspiracy thinking is akin to magical thinking. these people would more likely believe that aliens built the pyramids and that george soros is an evil commander of an intergalactic empire who has enslaved the human race to stop them using their third-eye vision to ascend to another plane, or something.

and perhaps you're right, it might have something to do with us basically returning to feudal levels of inequality and frozen mobility. the peasantry are returning to their superstitions and old wives' tales. but more likely it has something to do with the fact that a vast number of people now casually receive their daily 'news' and information from social networks which have been completely unbeholden to any truth criterion, or even any sanity criterion, really. the more sensationalist and provocative, the better it has been for facebook's ad metrics. now people's brains are potted like swiss cheese.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 02:41:27)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX
Remember that half the population is below average intelligence.
That scares me every time I write it.

That said dumb people can get to the right answer, it just takes them longer.

The whole anti-intelligence, anti-science, anti-education thing has been going a while.
I raised 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' a while back, a whole generation now has the idea that working hard, getting an education and aspiring to be middle class and successful are all deeply uncool and will not get you friends or girls.

Not sure where its all come from, maybe Murdoch and his evil plan for the world.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-29 02:58:08)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
you are literally part of the problem, dilbert. watching 'idiocracy' does not make you qualified to dismiss everyone. you are only in support of a very specific sort of 'expert' and of 'expertise' that aligns precisely with your own. dismissing all of 'arts and humanities' as some sort of evil cabal, with malefic intentions, out to scam the world, etc. is basically indistinguishable from the same efforts at de-legitimization that one finds in the 'anti-intelligence' crowd.

whether you like it or not, 'intelligence' is not solely synonymous with 'engineering degree'.

it's also funny that you can bemoan the idea of people no longer aspiring to education, but then spend half your time decrying x y z types of education.

of course i wholly agree with your point, but it would be nice if you weren't a hypocrite about it. it would be nice if working-class culture still embodied the centuries-long tradition of activism, self-improvement, reading and participation in culture, etc. they have been systematically closed out of that system, which is a generational tragedy.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 03:10:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The 'arts crowd' have endlessly dismissed STEM as grubby and worthless technicians.

Lets call it quits.

But wait, who created this anti-intellectual masterpiece which has done so much damage, especially to the black community?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Borowitz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Borowitz
uziq
+492|3448
when have the arts crowd ever 'endlessly dismissed' STEM as 'grubby and worthless technicians'? i have literally never witnessed this culture or attitude in my life, including 4/5 years spent in actual humanities departments surrounded by waifs, aesthetes, poète maudits, etc. this is all completely projection on your part, dilbert. you have some weird inferiority complex or social anxiety/ire about arts people. trust me, people studying philosophy or literature seldom think about STEM. they certainly do not think it 'beneath them'. where they do think about it, it's to engage in interdisciplinary work in a spirit of collaboration, as with, for example, eco-criticism, crossovers between neuroscience and linguistics, bringing big data techniques to texts, etc.

i swear for years on this forum it was me pointing out this weird, insular (ingrown, really) attitude that all the engineering types displayed. the masters-of-the-universe, master-race type thinking that all engineers evince. 'our degree is uniquely difficult! we are a special class!' it was endemic on this forum during bf2s' peak. and, time and time again, i would say how strange it was that STEM graduates, especially in that weird bush years military hoorah phase, had this culture of chauvinism. arts and humanities graduates are nothing like the same thing. i have never met a single arts or humanities person in my working life who talks shit about STEM, either. why the hell would they?!? it's weird and aberrant enough, watching you engineers flex and preen at every given opportunity.

don't pretend that the rest of the world has the same chip on their shoulder as you do. people with non-STEM degrees are nowhere near as fixated on STEM as you are with the arts and humanities.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 03:30:10)

uziq
+492|3448
it's also worth pointing out that it is arts and humanities that have consistently been under threat, especially in america and now more widely in the anglophone world. they have been targeted consistently with claims of being 'useless', 'wastes of money', 'don't lead to good jobs' (things not borne out by the statistics on the subject). arts and humanities have continually been placed on the defensive, made to justify their very existence by engineer-types who wave their large salaries around and adopt a frankly philistine attitude to the arts ('you can read in your spare time!' 'well done at being able to read a book' 'learning history is pointless' etc). you are 100% guilty of these same attitudes. modern languages departments are in terminal decline in UK universities; classics and philosophy departments are forever being nominated for the chop by administrators and business-types.

how would such an embattled faculty/discipline ever cultivate an attitude of lofty superiority to STEM? it doesn't make any sense at all. it seems to me, on the contrary, that certain groups have been actively waging a 'culture war' against arts and culture generally, trying to make everything about money/market worth, or asking peevish questions about 'utility' and 'practicality'. and the rhetorical firepower and mass opinion is overwhelmingly tipped towards STEM types.

can you give me one concrete example of a time when a 'humanities person' dismissed you as a grubby and worthless technician? i feel ridiculous even talking about 'humanities people', as if the choice of degree one made at 18 somehow determines their mindset, views and behaviour for the rest of their working lives ... it's really all too stupid to even seriously contemplate.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 04:00:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If I can be bothered I'll go through your old posts.

So anyway, why would two Harvard arts grads pen something as nasty and damaging as 'Fresh Prince'?
Didn't they know what they were doing?
uziq
+492|3448
nasty and damaging? a situational comedy, dilbert?

your heart loves selectively bleeding for people, doesn't it?

full of pity for the palestines, except when refugees want shelter in the west.

now you're bewailing the poor african-americans, after insisting for years that their attitudes were 'genetic'. 'look at shithole africa', you say, boasting your historical illiteracy and ignorance.

but now it's the fresh prince's fault? oh wait, the writers were jewish ...

If I can be bothered I'll go through your old posts.
i've made facetious posts here in the past accusing engineers of being cyborg-nazi-holocaust-designers only to highlight the deep flaws in your way of thinking, dipshit. i don't think at all in this 'tribalistic' way about STEM and humanities, and i never have. once again, humanities types do not have chips on their shoulders about physicists and mathematicians. it is completely inane. i reject the entire premise that someone's choice of undergraduate degree when they were a pimple-scratching teenager has anything to do with their political leadership or job competence. you are guilty of 'essentialist', lazy shorthand thinking like this in many, many ways dilbert. whether it's race or, bizarrely, university degree. i am not.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 04:14:51)

Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

a sizable slice of the population now seriously believe in 'pizzagate', that there's a satanic cabal of child-traffickers with a dungeon beneath a pizza restaurant in newark, NJ or something. i mean how do you even begin to explain to these people that, actually, covid-19 is a real virus and is measurably more harmful than flu? we are not even in the same universe. conspiracy thinking is akin to magical thinking. these people would more likely believe that aliens built the pyramids and that george soros is an evil commander of an intergalactic empire who has enslaved the human race to stop them using their third-eye vision to ascend to another plane, or something.

and perhaps you're right, it might have something to do with us basically returning to feudal levels of inequality and frozen mobility. the peasantry are returning to their superstitions and old wives' tales. but more likely it has something to do with the fact that a vast number of people now casually receive their daily 'news' and information from social networks which have been completely unbeholden to any truth criterion, or even any sanity criterion, really. the more sensationalist and provocative, the better it has been for facebook's ad metrics. now people's brains are potted like swiss cheese.
It's about segmentation in and the shrinking of our social circles as well. Our neighbourhoods are divided by income level. Good universities are increasingly generational in their attendance. The occasional high flyer from a low-income, low-education environment will often leave that place not to return. For those left behind the world of high politics and business is out of reach, out of sight and not understood. It follows that experts and leaders in far away places are not trusted. Of course, this is inflamed by social media, how it is abused today and people's increasing reliance on the internet. It's not all neatly divided either as seemingly intelligent and educated people fall prey to the social media BS as well... look at Dilbert and his engineering degree from imperial yet the depressingly ridiculous views he holds wrt identity, race, international relations.

I suppose the fact that most people just aren't critical thinkers doesn't help, combined with the fact that the chaos and increasing complexity of our world is now on full display through the internet. Making sense of it all isn't easy and many seem to fall back into conspiratorial thinking and even superstitions. Leaves the question of whether the elites should make a better effort in their communication & exert some more control on the new media landscape and/or if 'the peasantry' is indeed stuck in toxic cultural attitudes or otherwise irresponsible in their consumption and production of information...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Blacks have plenty of issues, but foisting on them a negative culture can't be deliberate can it? Can it?

Is it different from the Sacklers dumping opioids on white trash?

Arts types sneer endlessly at engineers, thinking they only need them when they need a tyre changed.
Its when their venal and lazy shorthand thinking comes up short that we're in trouble.

https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F7336d38f-fbe6-46fa-9d1c-904f4c913aca.jpg?fit=scale-down&source=next&width=700
uziq
+492|3448
yes, boris johnson, the paradigmatic, typical 'arts type'. you really are teh smartest boi eVa!

once again you completely misunderstand the current composition of no. 10. cummings et al are assembling a team of big data types and scientists, and are trying to dismantle the bureaucratic apparatus, including reorganizing whitehall, the foreign office/international development, etc. the 'mandarin' class made up of well-educated humanities types are the ones being targeted by cummings and his team of crackpot mad-genius scientists.

like how badly can you willingly misread a situation? you are clueless.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 04:29:30)

Larssen
+99|1883
I'm starting to get convinced that you're actually just trolling 75% of the time. Talking to you feels like some sort of groundhog day.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure Elon Musk would have made a working app by now, not still be bumbling around six months later.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4654/25254688767_83c0563d06_b.jpg

Should be about an afternoon's work for your average engineer to sketch out the specs, maybe a week to get it working.

Meanwhile in Whitehall

https://www.politico.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/GettyImages-1188991486.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-29 04:32:31)

uziq
+492|3448
lol he is definitely trolling. valorizing elon musk. woooo boy, here we go again.

are you a 19-year-old redditor, dilbert? i swear your attitudes and worldview are those of a teenaged maladapt. it's incredible how facile your thinking is. you have a very immature inability to acknowledge complexity, nuance, or, well, anything that approaches the real world, to be honest.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 04:32:51)

uziq
+492|3448
dilbert: hates steve jobs for his leadership pretending at abilities.
also dilbert: look! elon musk is the best human ever! he designed spaceships! he's taking us to mars! i bet he could fix the pandemic, too!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is Elon Musk donating US technology and wealth to China? Pretty sure he isn't.
But lets not get someone who knows what he's doing fix it, lets get someone from the board of the Jockey Club.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but now it's the fresh prince's fault? oh wait, the writers were jewish ...
So you think two very highly educated New York jews got their heads together and wrote something which, with the benefit of some perspective, now looks exactly as if it was designed to crush the aspirations of generations of young New York fringes blacks?

Don't work or study, just listen to hip-hop, work on your rap-rhymes and witty retorts and bunk off to play basketball whenever you want, you don't want to be a Carlton now - you da man!

I mean, isn't this the exact problem Macbeth and thousands of teachers are having to deal with every day with black kids?

They could only have done better if they'd convinced then it would be 'cool' to jump off bridges, it could all be a real-estate gambit for all we know.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-29 06:49:21)

uziq
+492|3448

Dilbert_X wrote:

Is Elon Musk donating US technology and wealth to China? Pretty sure he isn't.
But lets not get someone who knows what he's doing fix it, lets get someone from the board of the Jockey Club.
do you think elon musk knows about rocket propulsion? with his bachelor's of arts in economics and physics?

amazing that you, the scientist, needs scientific expertise and knowledge explained to you. elon musk's contributions to spacex are about on par with steve jobs contributions towards engineering apple macs and operating systems. i interact with career physicists who publish continually, and the vast majority of them couldn't get a job at a space-exploration company. are you seriously this dumb dilbert?

your understanding of culture is risible. yes, it's the fresh prince of bel air's fault that black attainment is low and more black people are in poverty than white people. they were mindwashed by carlton and that rogue, will smith!

you have a lethal mixture of strong views on just about everything and an almost equally total ignorance.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Re: NYC
About 300,000 children returned to classrooms for the first time since March as the city’s test positivity rate edged upward.
This will end poorly but parents need that free childcare to go back to their shitty low wage jobs. There is just no other way to do things in the richest country in the world.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
university students here were ushered back with false promises of face-to-face lessons once again. turns out they're all quarantined in their student halls, not allowed to mix with each other, no fresher's events/parties, no lectures/seminars ... and they will be thrown out of their courses (£9k a year) if they are found breaking any of the rules.

oh and they're maybe not going to be allowed to leave campuses for christmas to see their loved ones.

university teachers and admins were pushing distance learning and online seminars.

another huge mess in a long line of government blunders.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-29 07:02:17)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
Our universities reopened and the case totals they are posting is as large as entire countries. 130,000 at least according to NYT. The universities had no choice but to reopen. They are all indebted and need that cash to continue flowing.

I feel so guilty for being somewhat sanguine about how decades of institutional rot and dysfunction have lead to total failure in western nations while the nation's we considered lesser manage this crisis efficiently.

I genuinely worry about my parents and older relatives. I worry about the older relatives of all of my friends too. If someone like me can worry so much about the elderly relatives of casual acquaintances and internet people, what does that say about the people who are willing to sacrifice people to reopen the economy?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
yes, precisely, universities here were bounced off the public ledger and encouraged to 'marketize' and 'diversify their portfolios'. they are all reliant on the rental income from their student accommodations. and, i'm sure, some parts of the political establishment thought it would be a good idea to sequester and quarantine the randy young adults far away from the rest of society.

totally miserable for them, though. learning via Zoom sounds like my idea of hell, especially for the tuition fees; but the option was there. another totally avoidable policy decision.
uziq
+492|3448
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in … here-covid

neat visualisation of the 1,000,000 death toll.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard