SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
In any case, our 14 day daily case trend is up 24% and we are still at around 1000 deaths a day give or take a hundred. Also trending upward.

I think this winter is going to be a bloodbath (metaphorically?). I can see us getting 100,000 new cases a day once people are forced back into the subways and buses. I hope the loved ones of everyone here makes it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1878
I'm starting to get a little concerned about the effects on the economy and the possibility of a second financial crash. Seeing as the cash flow of major financial institutions is quite dependent on credit, loan & mortgage payments, the situation might get rather problematic. With unemployment shooting up and many SMBs closing doors late payments & loan defaults will increase significantly. Larger corporations are also enormously leveraged, combined with the fact that there's a stock market bubble in large company stocks due to the popularity of passive investing. The potential for a disastrous cascade is there and the question is if the banks have enough liquid assets to ride it out ... and how governments will respond if they don't.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Most countries are sailing on govt spending and debt, without a vaccine and another 2-3 years of this and we'll be stuffed.

Assuming it ends the world economy will be different - and China is going to be angry about that.

The Chinese are possibly in one of the worst situations, massively leveraged at every level and so desperate they're having to eat humble noodles and continuing to buy iron ore and coal from the hated Australians. We'd be fucked if they didn't.

Demand for Chinese goods has fallen off a cliff, they'll get no technological cooperation or investment from this point.

There's all the makings of a big fat war and everyone is nuclear armed now. Fun times ahead.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3443

Larssen wrote:

I'm starting to get a little concerned about the effects on the economy and the possibility of a second financial crash. Seeing as the cash flow of major financial institutions is quite dependent on credit, loan & mortgage payments, the situation might get rather problematic. With unemployment shooting up and many SMBs closing doors late payments & loan defaults will increase significantly. Larger corporations are also enormously leveraged, combined with the fact that there's a stock market bubble in large company stocks due to the popularity of passive investing. The potential for a disastrous cascade is there and the question is if the banks have enough liquid assets to ride it out ... and how governments will respond if they don't.
well, most stimulus bills seem to be for the sake of the mega-corporations and stock market. how many billionaires have added 20% to their wealth in the last 12 months? meanwhile lots of ordinarily very viable businesses -- restaurants, night life, cinemas, etc -- are being left to swing in the wind. terrifically short-termist thinking.

ironically all the people who are being given huge tax cuts, subsidies and rescue packages are the same class who avoid tax at all costs. the mom-and-pop stores and struggling middle-class who dutifully make up the majority of the tax base are being shunted to mass unemployment.

what can possibly go wrong!

Dilbert_X wrote:

The Chinese are possibly in one of the worst situations, massively leveraged at every level and so desperate they're having to eat humble noodles and continuing to buy iron ore and coal from the hated Australians. We'd be fucked if they didn't.
lol this is incredibly fanciful stuff. the chinese 'humbled'? dependent on australia? really dilbert? they just announced their intentions to go carbon neutral in the next 40-50 years. china also imports massive amounts from brazil/south america, south africa, and india.

'demand has fallen off a cliff', really, where? among australian tories, you mean? all i see is trump trying to start a tech war and shooting american companies/users in the foot.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-28 02:22:16)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Just to name a couple examples, I could probably go into any (surviving) department store and a large chunk of goods will still have been "Made in China." A good number of electronics too, will have components sourced from China, be assembled in China; at some point in the line at least having seen China. Amazon doesn't exactly have a dedicated section in a product description for this in any product category. That's up to the seller.

I'd wager a good number of items in Dilbert's wardrobe are of Chinese make.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Obviously its not going to be an instant thing, I'm hearing Chinese factories are being shuttered and I'm being bombarded by Chinese sales managers.

China is currently propping up the economy through infrastructure spending and they currently have little choice but to buy iron or and coking coal from Australia.  They're intent on restricting imports from Australia, having targeted barley, wheat, meat, dairy etc, now working on wine and doubtless a few other things, right now they have little choice.
I'm sure it will change once Mongolia etc are developed.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-28 03:16:08)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

I have lots of conversations with people who think China's just straight up going to be canceled into the stone age by countries angry about the coronavirus. The thing is, even if every debauched conspiracy theory was true, well, the Germans and the Japanese still export desired products after their little mid-century adventure. And it's kind of hard to ignore 1.5 billion people.
uziq
+492|3443
china will still be the factory of the world for well into the next century. covid-19 might damage international relations, but not half as much as xi jinping's aggressive aims. still, and regardless, anything short of a massive war will not shift the structure of the world economy. consumers is the west do not want to start paying western labour prices for their gadgets (they can't afford to).

the chinese middle-class are comparatively very wealthy and have robust savings. a lot of that might be tied in the stock market and in inflated speculation, sure, but they've got cash under the mattress. the western middle-class, by contrast, look like hungry pigeons. i don't think china is 'humbled' or 'quaking' in its boots at all. and they are certainly not vitally dependent on fucking australia.

this sort of sabre-rattling what-what talk from old conservative whites is just tragically funny. china does not need you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
China doesn't need Australia at all, except to keep its own economy inflated.

Currently iron ore is $100/ton, Chinese ports are turning away scrap steel. There's something going on for sure.
uziq
+492|3443
you criticize them for 'propping up the economy through infrastructure spending': well, so what? in comparison to the west's propping up their economy with ... what, exactly? china produces a huge number of goods and they're centrally directing huge amounts of funds and jobs towards infrastructure. that looks positively robust compared to the west. what are western countries doing? printing money and paying its population of waiters and bartenders to sit at home?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not commenting, just pointing out what is happening.

They've built a precarious economy on govt infrastructure spending and property and stock-market speculation.
That they can't unlink themselves from Australia, the country they probably most hate in the world, for fear of bringing it all down is remarkable.

Al those piles of rebar and concrete may be less useful than cash, who knows.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-28 03:41:22)

uziq
+492|3443
i'm sorry but if massive infrastructure spending and property speculation is 'precarious', then the west is truly fucked. we don't even have the infrastructure or capital investment part anymore.

once again i think you are absolutely delusional if you think the chinese economy will crash without australia. they already import those same materials from elsewhere.

why don't you talk about how much the australian economy needs china? weird how you never frame it that way.

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-28 03:43:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe you're right, all those iphones in landfill are not going to be productive.
uziq
+492|3443
almost all electronics components are made in china, not just the flashy end-assembled designer products. ditto with large-scale industrial chemicals, pharmaceuticals, textiles and consumables ... are you seriously this fucking dumb? you really think the chinese economy is apple gadgets and huawei?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

once again i think you are absolutely delusional if you think the chinese economy will crash without australia. they already import those same materials from elsewhere.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-10/ … e/12648352

Iron ore is not a fluid commodity, mines take years to get going.
Find some other analysis if you don't like it.

why don't you talk about how much the australian economy needs china? weird how you never frame it that way.
Thats exactly how I framed it you mong.

Dilbert_X wrote:

The Chinese are ... continuing to buy iron ore and coal from the hated Australians. We'd be fucked if they didn't.
Sometimes I wonder about your reading comprehension

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-28 03:49:54)

uziq
+492|3443
yes, precisely, china is australia's biggest trade partner. who is in a stronger position here? australia? you really think china is going to fall over without australia's ore? lmao.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Find some other analysis if you don't like it.
uziq
+492|3443
i don't know, dilbert, i think most people are looking at this pandemic for what it is and not concluding that an entirely new global order is going to be ushered in on the back of it. you've been proclaiming at times that the world will never be the same again, etc, the west will divorce itself from china utterly, blah blah. i think you have a very limited and parochial australian perspective on that. the rest of the world isn't half as politically piqued about china as evidently australia is.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
America was awake to China taking its manufacturing power base away, wasn't that a big part of Trump being elected?

I think the world has realised China is no-ones friend, they're not even their own friend unless you're Han Chinese, I guess we'll see.
uziq
+492|3443
and what has trump done for all of his blathering about china and american jobs? opened a few amazon warehouses in rust-belt cities?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

Dilbert_X wrote:

America was awake to China taking its manufacturing power base away, wasn't that a big part of Trump being elected?

I think the world has realised China is no-ones friend, they're not even their own friend unless you're Han Chinese, I guess we'll see.
The Chinese didn't take away America's manufacturing. Our manufacturing was given away by our leaders. The recipient of the manufacturing could have been anyone. The primary cause of the U.S.'s economic malaise is generations of our leaders who happen to have been almost totally from as specific of a demographic as Han Chinese .
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It takes two to tango, the Chinese had the worlds biggest plan to take the worlds manufacturing and make it theirs.
Larssen
+99|1878
I wasn't talking about china...
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Dauntless wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Coworker was exposed through a family member. Coworker's test result just came back positive. I find out my test results tonight.

Had to shut the office down and request all employees get tested.

Coworker's family member who they live with was symptomatic, but coworker did not disclose it until after the family member tested positive. Coworker was still coming to work despite knowing their family member may have covid-19.

Stay safe everyone
Hope you're alright m8, did the test come back ok?
Yeah so far only the coworker has tested positive, and half the results have come back negative for the rest.

Thanks for the well-wishes

@larssen: we have wfh arrangements set up. The only people currently coming to work every day are logistics people who are integral to the day to day operations of the company. Since I'm the highest ranking member in the U.S., I'm responsible for all the people in this office. I cut the manpower in half and will go back to weekly teams to limit cross exposure. Also requiring everyone who was originally exposed to get tested 7 days from the original test and then 14 days, just to be safe. Company is paying for all the tests and missed hours for any non-exempt salaried and hourly workers.

One of the benefits for working for a Taiwanese corporation is that they take pandemics very seriously, and it reflects in the support I'm getting.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
More than H.I.V. More than dysentery. More than malaria, influenza, cholera and measles — combined.

In the 10 months since a mysterious pneumonia began striking residents of Wuhan, China, Covid-19 has killed more than one million people worldwide as of Monday — an agonizing toll compiled from official counts, yet one that far understates how many have really died. It may already have overtaken tuberculosis and hepatitis as the world’s deadliest infectious disease, and unlike all the other contenders, it is still growing fast.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/28/worl … rld%20News

Not a big deal. It's just the Flu/Malaria/AIDS/Chrola/Measles.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard