uziq
+492|3450
the hugely ironic thing is that the creator of the dilbert comic strips regularly blogs and has become a bit of an alt-right/right-wing figure. he is full of dopey batshit ideas and takes so tepid you need a soup spoon to consume them.

https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/ … 89440?s=21

‘BLM adjacent antifa actually helped the nazis come to power’.

wait didn’t you just call BLM the SS the other day?

are you THE creator of dilbert?!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Never said BLM were the SS, the point was that what seems like a good idea to one group is often terrible for another.

BLM don't want equality, they want supremacy.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Back on topic, I don't know which is more depressing, the actual pandemic or the stupidity of the typical person and their leaders.
Larssen
+99|1886

Dilbert_X wrote:

Never said BLM were the SS, the point was that what seems like a good idea to one group is often terrible for another.

Only you could interpret the statement 'please don't shoot us' as a subversive attempt to overthrow society
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Before we conveniently "get back on topic" (whatever that's been in recent weeks), is my brain drawing from a parallel universe or did you not call the SS a force for racial equality by way of comparison to BLM?

Seems like a very lazy, historically flawed smear to me.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Back on topic, I don't know which is more depressing, the actual pandemic or the stupidity of the typical person and their leaders.
  • bemoaning the ignorance of the normals
  • lambasting the study of history as a subject that exists only to "perpetuate a useless department"
  • making historically inaccurate pronouncements
  • profit
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Only you could interpret the statement 'please don't shoot us' as a subversive attempt to overthrow society
There's much more to it than that. They've been pushing for positive discrimination for a very long time no?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-12 17:20:15)

Larssen
+99|1886

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

There's much more to it than that. They've been pushing for positive discrimination for a very long time no?
Dilbert, even if that is so, their principal concern is the inequality of the black population vs everyone else in most aspects of life. In a democracy we can and should be able to hold grown up discussions about these issues and figure out a way forward that is acceptable to all parties. Whether that be through structural support or positive discrimination (if you choose that). The starting point should simply be the acknowledgement that yes, we can see that black people very disproportionately live in poverty, in communities with high crime rate, are policed to a very high extent etc. etc. Obviously this is undesirable and calls into question a country's principles on equality. Then followed by the question: ok, so what can we do about it?

So far you've oscillated between 'fuck em it's all their own fault', to comparing BLM with the SS. As usual you've shown appalling historical, political and social illiteracy and seem entirely incapable of assuming either an analytical position or a solution oriented mindset. If you and yours were running a country it would end up like Ghadaffi's libya; a place in government/wealth for those of your clan and nothing but occassional repression for everyone else. You suck and should stay far away from politics. I don't think your mind is comfortable with anything but binary code and plugging numbers in engineering software.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

If BLM were running a country it would end up like Ghadaffi's libya; a place in government/wealth for those of your clan and nothing but occassional repression for everyone else.
Fixed

Thats what every country in Africa looks like no? Coincidence?

Or actually, every country except those run by white people no?

The more I think about it the funnier your comment is - if we give in to white supremacists then our country will become - dun dun dun - like any shithole corrupt tribal African country?

LMFAO

Every race and grouping on earth wants and expects supremacy, its only the stupid white people in Western democracies who put themselves second.

As soon as the BLM crowd achieve any kind of dominance they'll immediately fracture into tribal hierarchy - proven descendents of slaves - ordered by country - recent migrants, West Indians etc - just as every african country has since the beginning of time.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-09-13 06:47:26)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

are you THE creator of dilbert?!
https://img.ifunny.co/images/fe441c265a8eea3d2b6bcf1c6a91ee70cecc043b19a8c53ab7ca6e71aa3e08e9_1.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
The black community in America is pretty unique in its problems even among minority groups. I see on television American cops occasionally killing a Hispanic person and there are no protest or riots about it. Arabs, Indians, and Asians do a pretty good job of not getting killed anyway. From my experience working and living with more minorities than all of you combined, I think it is fair to say that the police aren't the thing keeping black people down the most. And there is a certain Hispanic supremacist mood among Mexican Americans living the the western states. They channel those views into political advocacy, elections, etc. They don't set the local Target on fire.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1886

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

If BLM were running a country it would end up like Ghadaffi's libya; a place in government/wealth for those of your clan and nothing but occassional repression for everyone else.
Fixed

Thats what every country in Africa looks like no? Coincidence?

Or actually, every country except those run by white people no?

The more I think about it the funnier your comment is - if we give in to white supremacists then our country will become - dun dun dun - like any shithole corrupt tribal African country?

LMFAO

Every race and grouping on earth wants and expects supremacy, its only the stupid white people in Western democracies who put themselves second.

As soon as the BLM crowd achieve any kind of dominance they'll immediately fracture into tribal hierarchy - proven descendents of slaves - ordered by country - recent migrants, West Indians etc - just as every african country has since the beginning of time.
Well at least you finally came out the closet as a white supremacist, glad we cleared that up.

No Dilbert we're not all in a battle for supremacy. If you didn't know, many if not most countries across the globe are multi-ethnic and multicultural. You live in one and were born in one. Pretty much all of these countries have enshrined in their constitutions and laws clauses on minority rights and equality among peoples. You will find that countries which do not respect those principles are often the shittiest places. There also isn't one 'white people'. Throughout history near identical identity rifts between white people were often cause for massive conflicts. The most recent of which being the war in Ukraine. Your sense of 'whiteness' is quite unique to our modern world, as in any other time you probably would have loathed the welsh, the scots, french, germans etc. as being lesser peoples - despite sharing the same skin colour.

The great lesson of the 20th century is that life is better if we get along and do not attempt to subjugate/murder/oppress one another because of our cultural, ethnic or racial narcissism. That realisation is what spawned the united nations, the european union, the universal declaration of human rights, all among other things. It is the reason you live in an era in the west that is hallmarked by an unprecedented long peace. Foundational to that peace is respect for other peoples, their equality to oneself and their democratic rights.

Dilbert, you are quite possibly one of the most infuriatingly dull-witted people I've had the misfortune of communicating with. For years now you have been handed on a silver platter all you need to broaden your understanding of race, ethnicity, why Africa is the way it is, you name it. With the internet giving you unprecedented access to the best research in any field you could easily educate yourself if you wanted to. Yet time and again, without fail, you compulsively revert to your asinine conceptions of the world around you. Your 'natural instincts' if you will. You don't read, you won't learn and can't rid yourself of that 19th century blood and soil thinking. Your behaviour is like that of a religious person whose life is ruled by dogma. A lost cause; a failure.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-09-13 10:34:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

They don't set the local Target on fire.
Neither do most of the BLM demonstrations, apparently.

Macbeth, was the Million Mom March met by violence and repression? Was it typical for people to truck in across the country to level guns at them? Why BLM, then? Why do police go out of their way to assault even people who are uninvolved?

e:

The Forgotten History of Latino Riots 2017 4
Why does civil unrest in Latino communities often go unrecorded?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … rban-riots
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

They don't set the local Target on fire.
Neither do most of the BLM demonstrations, apparently.

Macbeth, was the Million Mom March met by violence and repression? Was it typical for people to truck in across the country to level guns at them? Why BLM, then? Why do police go out of their way to assault even people who are uninvolved?

e:

The Forgotten History of Latino Riots 2017 4
Why does civil unrest in Latino communities often go unrecorded?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … rban-riots
Did you sit down by your computer with a cup of tea and start googling "Latino Riots"?

Anyway, I read the article. It specifically explains how there seems to be an effort among Hispanic communities to dissociate themselves from black urban unrest. Good?
https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/e61/47/biden-gif-farewell.gif
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I mean, a web-searched article talking about Latino riots, pasted into an edit of a response to your intimation that (perhaps to slam BLM by way of comparison) there are no Latino riots. "Here's examples of Latino riots with object throwing and property damage." Yes, mac, I really went out of my way there.

Did you google a gif of biden? My goodness, you have so much time on your hands!!12 Look at this silly person using the internet. Wow!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Just to close this point of curiosity, I don't think I've ever seen that question as a straight one. "Did you google that?" "No, I had the url memorized." I've been here before, mac. If I'd just said, "uh actually there were" and left it at that, you'd likely have pressed for evidence. "Oh, really? When?"

The purpose is of course to diminish the perception that the addressee knows what they're talking about, but it seems better employed against pretend-experts. I am not a sociologist or a lawmaker. I couldn't begin to dictate how to fix race relations in the US. Clearly there is more at play than police brutality, but I don't see why that cannot be one of the things that are addressed. I don't think the onus should be on individual members of the public to deescalate random encounters with jumpy officers, or that people should be expected to put up with obvious profiling.

"Respond to peaceful protests against police violence … with police violence. Bystanders are also acceptable collateral damage. Later conflate with rioters." As with the coronavirus, the US doesn't occupy a very flattering spot on the world leaderboard in this regard.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I think it is an issue in this societal wide discussion that criticism for one group is assumed to be support for another. If  you criticize BLM you are assumed to be a cop supporter/If you believe we need police reform you are assumed to be a BLM advocate. This makes it really difficult to actually get substantive changes done since that sort of either/or dichotomy dovetails perfectly with how our political system works and ultimately gets nothing done.

These mass protest haven't done anything to increase my sympathy for the black community. The response from the police/right wing political establishment has increased my antipathy towards both though. The police have done themselves no favors in how they responded to the protest/riots among the mostly black community that other minority groups have written off as a lost cause. (Your link even explains a bit about how Hispanics don't want to link their identity to black protest movements even if their issues are similar.)

I read Dilbert's post about "can't arrest black people anymore" as more of a way to criticize black people than support for the police or even a genuine belief that police can't do their jobs anymore like some Cop Cucks want you to believe. I think we obviously need police and the the police obviously need reform. I just think it is to think the black community will suddenly undergo a vast transformation into Wakanda people if we got our police under control.
https://www.sideshow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/wakanda.jpg
And finally, a lot of the criticism towards the black community is racist and unfair but also true. Black Americans will not ascend to Wakanda people unless they extricate parts of their culture that have genuine problems.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Having police that don't stalk and harass people just because is probably an important step to normalizing black America. I think on that at least we both agree.

On the race thread, in recent weeks, I posted an anecdote of a man getting into a forty minute long, three-officer encounter while arguing with his friend about star wars on the side of the road. This sharks-circling-prey was apparently not a new experience for him, and it's certainly not an isolated one. With many cases of police violence hitting national news, how many mundane encounters like this are we not hearing about? I think there should be widespread coverage of this sort of thing too.

Even if all the nonsense stopped overnight, I think it'd still be over a lifetime before we could call things repaired.

I don't really register Wakanda references since I know virtually none of the lore. Why does the building on the left have a stylized thatch-looking roof?

e: Americans shouldn't need the (peaceful) protests to tell them that they should feel empathy, but here we are. It is regrettable that the response to utterly harmless things like football players kneeling to raise awareness was met with gag politics.
uziq
+492|3450
agreed that it requires nuance and complexity. you can't elevate one group into blameless angels and demonize an entire profession. and i don't think any sympathetic or adjacent groups to BLM seriously believe that african-americans should have carte blanche to engage in street altercations or chase down cops and not expect to get shot.

where it becomes sensitive is how you frame the issue. ultimately, in these polarized and simplified times, one group has to acknowledge fault first and agree to do better. the police seem incapable of sincerely extending an olive branch into these communities. and you really have to ask why a group should give a fuck about society and 'opt in' for the norms of everyday civics when the police are systemically racist towards them. i don't think anyone is expecting the african-american community to solve all of its problems and become 'wakanda people' (lol wtf) just because of police reform; the entire poverty package is a much bigger problem than just policing; and, yes, detrimental cultures and behaviours do become a fact-of-life for anyone in that subaltern/impoverished position for long enough.

but for a start i do think that police and official institutions of society have to treat them with equality and respect. if you don't acknowledge someone as an equal and give them human respect, you can't seriously expect them to reform their behaviours. you put shit in, you get shit back. the simple fact is that a lot of the 'negative' things you associate with 'black culture' are acquired/learned behaviours, defensive postures and so on, that come from an inter-generational experience of being treated like shit.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Is this the urban poor Jay was blaming for NYC's COVID outbreak?

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … ryourmask/
uziq
+492|3450
jay's takes on covid, as changing and mutable as they were, was like watching one of those classic GIFs of a disabled hurdler barrelling down the high-school track and knocking over every single fucking one.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefensiveViciousGelding-size_restricted.gif
Larssen
+99|1886
I believe he may have actually died. His continued absence is rather sudden.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Macbeth made a credible threat to dox him.
uziq
+492|3450
macbeth did dox him, at least to us. not that anyone gives a fuck where jay lives or where his kids go to school. we've all been able to dox him at will anyway due to facebook-era connections. but why the fuck would anyone want to message his wife, because he said something on an internet forum??

we need to bring burnzz out of the cryogenic freeze. we're lacking a vocable member.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I'll prep Vader's roboticization slab.
Elizabeth
Post limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+1|1367

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Macbeth made a credible threat to dox him.
After he did so to Macbeth repeatedly. Let's not confuse the chain of events

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard