uziq
+492|3422
it's a terrible analogy and makes no sense. protip: if you have to untie a mental knot and get out the history textbooks to even parse an analogy, it has NO function. they're supposed to shed insight and widen understanding of an issue, not give you facepalm or stroke.

where are BLM people intimidating anyone? protesting is NOT intimidation.

https://editorial01.shutterstock.com/wm-preview-1500/10672411r/1aa1e53e/blm-protest-in-switzerland-lausanne-shutterstock-editorial-10672411r.jpg

terrifying! thugs!

i can think of an example of an intimidating protest tactic:

https://wamu.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/gettyimages-831336776_wide-ff68e7f515fbdbde9db8436216541300a5c282da-1500x844.jpg

where is anyone asking for SPECIAL privileges?

your rhetoric is lazy and disingenuous. people are asking to be treated equally. they are exercising their legal, enshrined right to protest. 99% of them are non-violent and non-intimidating. riots, burning, looting, etc, have accounted for a tiny, fringe, explosive minority of the protest movement, concentrated heavily in the days following george flloyd's murder. it is NOT the modus operandi of the movement; rioting and burning down property is NOT a BLM strategy. people have distanced themselves from and disclaimed that behaviour. what more do you want? how many more peaceful protest and assemblies do there have to be before you get the message? it's totally pointless because you simply don't pay attention to the vast majority of peaceful protests that go off without creating a sensational news headline: you aren't interested in their cause.

you are already isolated and paranoid. don't project quite so much. there are 'various ethnic groups' turning up in SUPPORT of BLM, dipshit. remember when you tried to make out that the native americans and latinx community were smarting at BLM's recent rise? then i showed you that they have all made public proclamations of support and solidarity with the movement? wooops! you look very, very silly.

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-05 02:53:13)

Larssen
+99|1858

Dilbert_X wrote:

The point is its dangerous to say violence and intimidation are justified as long as your cause is the right one.

I'm seeing no solution, throwing money at it, affirmative action etc have never achieved anything.

Giving special privileges to one ethnic group creates more problems than it solves.

The various ethnic groups will become steadily more isolated and paranoid.
Dilbert, the state uses violence and intimidation on a daily basis and we consider it justified.
uziq
+492|3422
it's a total misrepresentation of BLM to make out that 'violence and intimidation' are part of its program. it's a dishonest slander.
Larssen
+99|1858
The worst that has happened so far was the looting and burning of a police precinct station... in response to unchecked police violence that actually kills people.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

Dilbert, the state uses violence and intimidation on a daily basis and we consider it justified.
erm OK

uziq wrote:

it's a total misrepresentation of BLM to make out that 'violence and intimidation' are part of its program. it's a dishonest slander
LOL OK

I saw black women are starting to be more vocal about the violence and misogyny directed at them by, erm, black men.
I'm sure its due to racism, somehow.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
have black women ever claimed that domestic violence is due to racism? are you just making up random shit? what, exactly, is your problem with people protesting about domestic fucking violence? wow, what a snide asshole. these issues have never affected you so i suppose it's fine to deride and sneer.

BLM does not use 'violence and intimidation'. have you ever actually been at any BLM protests? or have you only seen the scary news headlines about looting and lighting fires?

Black Lives Matter (BLM) is a decentralized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality and all racially motivated violence against African-American people.[2]
https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

Every day, we recommit to healing ourselves and each other, and to co-creating alongside comrades, allies, and family a culture where each person feels seen, heard, and supported.

We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities.

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people.

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting.

We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.
wow! what a violent bunch of thugs!

get a clue dilbert.

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-05 04:08:45)

Larssen
+99|1858

Dilbert_X wrote:

Larssen wrote:

erm OK
OK. Dilbert I'm just pointing out for you that the position 'violence is never ever justified' is rather untenable. You also conveniently ignore that there's such a thing called proportionality and context. The police precinct I talked about was not burned down on the order of BLM, it was an angry mob that got out of hand. The violence so far has also been limited to clashes with police and some vandalism. Furthermore, BLM as an organisation does not officially condone or promote the use of violence.

I reckon these are all rather important facts you need to acknowledge before trying to state that BLM 'uses violence and intimidation'. That's not true.

dilbert wrote:

I saw black women are starting to be more vocal about the violence and misogyny directed at them by, erm, black men.
I'm sure its due to racism, somehow.
What does domestic violence in the black community have to do with BLM? Because there's more domestic violence, black lives don't / shouldn't matter?

Come on man get your head out of your ass. You supposedly did your A levels, graduated from a reputable university and have to apply some basic reasoning skills in your day job. How do you rack up so many fallacious arguments.
uziq
+492|3422
apparently because a decentralized organization/cause cannot police the behaviour of everyone, everywhere, all at once, over an extremely emotive and inflamed situation, that means it is actually, secretly, really a violent organization.

why isn't dilbert as appalled by the acts of violence committed by white conservatives and 'patriot' organizations? don't their actions and scandals mean that, really, all forms of cultural conservatism and patriotism are really just white supremacist racist killers by association?

great reasoning!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The Truth Behind A Viral Picture Of A Reopening School Is Worse Than It Looked 8/5
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mo … ing-county

Two Students Say They Were Suspended From Their Georgia High School For Posting Photos Of Crowded Hallways 8/6
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/la … way-photos

Relieved I didn't have to go to school during a pandemic like this one, and that the administration wasn't tuned into things I wrote and did on my own time.

Also, social justice media claims students wearing masks are being bullied, which is also fantastic news. /s I think all the students should post pictures.
uziq
+492|3422
the numbers of dead are still pretty giddying, to be honest. it's incredible how blase leaders like trump and bolsonaro are about the death toll.

comparisons to vietnam aside, putting on +100,000 deaths (as brazil just reached today) is equivalent to the 26-year civil war in sri lanka or the current disaster in yemen. that's a generation-defining tragedy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its bad, but in the average year normal flu and pneumonia deaths barely get a mention and they're not insignificant.

My cat has been sneezing a lot lately, maybe I should get him tested.
uziq
+492|3422
yearly flu seasons do get coverage. a huge amount of labour and organization is expended on managing the annual flu season. i imagine when you reach 60+ the government and public health messaging on flu will suddenly become more noticeable to you. there is a huge amount of work put into getting vulnerable people vaccinated and protected each year. and smaller epidemic outbreaks, such as the H1N1 or swine flu outbreaks, avian flu, etc. get plenty of news coverage. america dealt with a serious swine flu epidemic in 2009, which made news.

WHO estimates that around 250k people die annually, globally of flu. that's not insignificant, you're right. but it's conceivable that, without stringent measures, a single country could post those numbers of covid deaths in a year.

flu is a long-established virus that has girdled the world for centuries, not a novel pathogen. it has 4-5 dominant strains constantly in circulation, and new mutations/outbreaks appear regularly. covid-19, by contrast, is just getting started. it has barely begun to penetrate certain continents or areas of the globe. flu is basically general and everywhere. we do not moderate our behaviour or enforce public health guidelines to control flu's spread. we have already seen that covid-19 is many times more severe and dangerous to your average healthy adult. it is an extremely hardy and contagious virus, which means it needs to be taken serious notice of.

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-09 03:51:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But should I take The Furball Menace to get swabbed?

Apparently cats can contract it, I guess they're contagious.
uziq
+492|3422
yeah cats have tested positive in the UK for covid-19. who gives a shit? i am in support of a 100% cull on cats.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think cats will be around long after we are, anti-catites notwithstanding.
uziq
+492|3422
if you're lucky you'll even be eaten by your cats. it's an awfully common fate for people who die alone.
uziq
+492|3422
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ee_AVP5UwAICx85?format=png&name=900x900

#no.1
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
summer is over were back to school
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3422

RTHKI wrote:

summer is over were back to school
https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/sta … 9426671617

what
could
possibly
go
wrong?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … port-warns

Coronavirus may be more easily transmitted in school and summer camp settings than previously understood, after the emergence of new details of outbreaks in the US state of Georgia and in Israel that have underscored the risks of school reopenings.

A report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) into an outbreak at a summer camp in Georgia suggests children – even asymptomatic cases – may play an important role in community transmission of Covid-19.
Elsewhere in Georgia, the AP reports that school officials in a nearby metro Atlanta county said 12 students and two staff members across a dozen schools tested positive for the virus during their first week back at school. The Cherokee County school system reported that more than 250 students with potential exposure had been sent home to quarantine for two weeks.

As our Ed Pilkington wrote today, Georgia is one of 21 states across the US that have been placed by the White House coronavirus taskforce in the “red zone”, indicating the disease is now so prevalent that immediate restrictions must be imposed to avoid dire consequences.

“Our situation is rapidly getting out of control,” Melanie Thompson, an Atlanta physician and co-organizer of the letter, told the Guardian. “Frontline health workers are at the end of their ropes – we have been left on our own to make it up as we go along, while the governor fails to do what’s needed to control this epidemic.”
where's jay to tell us that, ackshually, just as it isn't the president or federal government's job, it's not the governor's job, either, and every school district should conduct their own pandemic response??

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-09 11:54:34)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I'll meet you in Tunisia, regardless.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I literally just posted the one with the crowded hall. I guess the students involved in that photo were suspended for it. I can't imagine what rules (if any) staff weaseled into their reasons.

Also, I think there's a bit of irony in Mexico remaining open to US citizens.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

if you're lucky you'll even be eaten by your cats. it's an awfully common fate for people who die alone.
My short term plan is to have a cup of coffee.
My long term plan is to die alone and be eaten by my cats.
Everything in between seems to take care of itself, I just have to be careful not to tempt the fates.
uziq
+492|3422
1 in 2000 americans has now died of covid-19.
1 in 65 has tested positive.
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … y-suggests

imperial college study involving 100,000 or so people finds that around 6% of the british population so far have had covid. it may be as high as 13% in london.

remember when jay was saying that 'most of society' had had a dash before, and we were over the worst of it?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm getting fairly tired of the pandemic now.

But for one family - I'll bet my work shoes they're Indian - whose kids spread shit all over their hotel quarantine room  and major incompetence at govt level, do arts and law degrees really make for an ideal health minister?, Australia could have been practically free of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard