Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England
Why is that people's big hangup? Oh my CO2 buildup! It sucks, and it's uncomfortable but it's not dangerous. People are being such babies about the masks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
i blame right wing twitter. she abandoned fox news and went there.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-07-08 18:52:57)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Why is that people's big hangup? Oh my CO2 buildup! It sucks, and it's uncomfortable but it's not dangerous. People are being such babies about the masks.
Wait, so people who don't wear masks are cowards now?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Wait, so people who don't wear masks are cowards now?
Sure, let's go with that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Great, but don't ever call anyone a flip-flopper.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Great, but don't ever call anyone a flip-flopper.
I never flip-flopped, but ok. I wear a mask every day for work.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3462
you were recycling all the namecalling of public-space-avoiding, mask-wearing people as 'cowards' not even a month ago.

tacitly endorsing the militias who were protesting lockdown conditions.

dismissing scientific experts and epidemiological guidance; criticizing hysterical democrat leaders.

now you wear a mask? lol you are as cucked as blustering bolsonaro.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-09 04:42:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
At least Jay never equated COVID-19 with the flu.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

you were recycling all the namecalling of public-space-avoiding, mask-wearing people as 'cowards' not even a month ago.

dismissing scientific experts and epidemiological guidance; criticizing hysterical democrat leaders.

No, I was saying that people hiding in their homes and demanding the economy be shut down were cowards. I've never been against taking precautions like washing hands, maintaining spacing or wearing PPE. I think you personally are a coward because you're sitting in your shitbox apartment, giving in to hysteria, and not giving a single thought to people who would lose their jobs because you are scared.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're scared your shares could drop, its totally understandable, take some deep breaths - maybe not near your kids if they've been to kindergarten - those little fuckers spread Bat Flu like crazy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

You're scared your shares could drop, its totally understandable, take some deep breaths - maybe not near your kids if they've been to kindergarten - those little fuckers spread Bat Flu like crazy.
Ok
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3462

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

No, I was saying that people hiding in their homes and demanding the economy be shut down were cowards. I've never been against taking precautions like washing hands, maintaining spacing or wearing PPE. I think you personally are a coward because you're sitting in your shitbox apartment, giving in to hysteria, and not giving a single thought to people who would lose their jobs because you are scared.
where did i demand the economy be shut down? i've continued to work for the entire period whilst my tax money has paid in large part for a huge swathe of the economy to be furloughed at 80% pay. do you see me complaining? no.

'giving in to hysteria', ok. nice phrase for following the best scientific advice.

it's the government's role to manage the economy in a crisis, not my personal responsibility. protecting life seems like a better priority than protecting bars and restaurants. i'm not sure where this moral judgment of 'cowardice keeps creeping in. in almost every regard, i've been facing higher stakes and more worry over covid-19, and i've surely as hell never been as emotive and hysterical as you in this topic ('i will kill each and every one of you, wah wah wah').
uziq
+492|3462
I'm a Physical therapist is a level one trauma center in a city/state that did a good job of flattening the curve. I see patients who required hospitalization at every step of their recovery. 3 young guys come to mind.

Early 30s, works full time, has wife and kids. Literally no past medical history. Prolonged intubated that eventually lead to extreme muscle wasting, and what presented as a full body motor weakness. He eventually developed sepsis and has had multiple organ issues. He couldn't walk, couldn't swallow. I think was in the hospital a total of about 30 days and has been on our rehab double that. And he can still barely walk. While he will recover he will likely always have long term damage.

Another young guy with a presentation that in addition to being on a ventilator for weeks, then having a trach, he also had more neuro presentation. I've read other countries are literally giving this presentation a guillian barre diagnosis, and that's honestly how it presented. Extreme weakness of the trunk muscles, I literally have to hold his head up when we try to sit up. He can't control his legs or arms, cannot coordinate movement, can't brush his hair, wash his face because his motor coordination is so poor. He got sick in early May and is just now in our step down unit. He won't get be strong enough to go to rehab for some time, he'll end up in a long term care hospital.

And we just had our first covid stroke. I think he was in his 40s, basic covid case. Not in the ICU at all. But during evaluation he presented like a classic MCA stroke. Imaging shows diffuse strokes all through his brain. He's also got a long road ahead, but will likely walk again. Not sure if he'll ever recover motor function of his hand. But we caught it immediately, so he did get great medical interventions, so should recover well.

And now, we are starting to see recovered covid patients come back. They test negative, but they still can't breathe and their x-rays look just as horrible as they did when the disease was active in them. I've only seen older people with this new fibrosis pneumonia, but I can only imagine all those Young folks without symptoms might actually be developing fibrosis that will haunt them in years to come.
medical workers having a good whinge on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ … n_arizona/
uziq
+492|3462
https://kottke.org/20/06/jesus-christ-j … -face-mask

The Masks Masquerade by Nassim Nicholas Taleb is worth a read.

“Libertarians” (in brackets) are resisting mask wearing on grounds that it constrains their freedom. Yet the entire concept of liberty lies in the Non-Aggression Principle, the equivalent of the Silver Rule: do not harm others; they in turn should not harm you. Even more insulting is the demand by pseudolibertarians that Costco should banned from forcing customers to wear mask — but libertarianism allows you to set the rules on your own property. Costco should be able to force visitors to wear pink shirts and purple glasses if they wished.

Note that by infecting another person you are not infecting just another person. You are infecting many many more and causing systemic risk.

Wear a mask. For the Sake of Others.
https://kottke.org/plus/misc/images/non-mask-mortality.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

It's somewhat unnerving that a person must go through a decision tree to understand that wearing a mask (or containing pollutants in water, ensuring air quality, etc) is a Good Idea.

Well hmm, if i look at it through the lens of the NAP, akshually I AM harming other people.
uziq
+492|3462
pretty sure america and brazil are the only countries that have had anti-mask sentiments. weird that they're both led by boorish populists with illiterate supporters.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

https://kottke.org/20/06/jesus-christ-just-wear-a-face-mask

The Masks Masquerade by Nassim Nicholas Taleb is worth a read.

“Libertarians” (in brackets) are resisting mask wearing on grounds that it constrains their freedom. Yet the entire concept of liberty lies in the Non-Aggression Principle, the equivalent of the Silver Rule: do not harm others; they in turn should not harm you. Even more insulting is the demand by pseudolibertarians that Costco should banned from forcing customers to wear mask — but libertarianism allows you to set the rules on your own property. Costco should be able to force visitors to wear pink shirts and purple glasses if they wished.

Note that by infecting another person you are not infecting just another person. You are infecting many many more and causing systemic risk.

Wear a mask. For the Sake of Others.
Right. Which is why I wear a mask. I don't have to, I already have antibodies, but its a small price to pay to avoid giving the people around me anxiety.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3462
there is no proof that antibodies guarantee immunity to covid-19. they don't for other coronaviruses, e.g. the common cold. there is literally zero scientific proof that having antibodies present means you are invulnerable. they're used as tests to see who has had the disease, not as a green-light passport system for people to mix freely. whether you have antibodies or no, you should absolutely take all precautions. you can still catch it or still be infectious; or at least as far as we know.

by the way, antibodies don't last long, not for most diseases. covid has been mutating, too. you keep talking about the antibodies you had 8 weeks' ago. do you know how often you can catch a common cold, jay?

you are seriously illiterate when it comes to pretty basic biology.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-09 14:32:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Oh, please. You were using handwashing as a put-down from page one.

Also can we please stop saying that working from home if you're able during a viral pandemic is a form of cowardice? Would that have ever been your estimation of telecommuting before this viral pandemic? No? Then shut up.
uziq
+492|3462
i worked from home 4 days out of 5 before the pandemic anyway. i have a good job with a good employer. it has curtailed my freedom a lot, sure, but i'm not invested in perpetuating the lockdown because i 'like to work from home'. stupid reasoning.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yeah, but I'm not. Thanks though. I'm having a second antibody test next week because my doctor told me the information you are regurgitating at me, and which you likely got from my own previous post which I wrote about three months ago.

Last edited by Jay (2020-07-09 14:36:50)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Oh, please. You were using handwashing as a put-down from page one.

Also can we please stop saying that working from home if you're able during a viral pandemic is a form of cowardice? Would that have ever been your estimation of telecommuting before this viral pandemic? No? Then shut up.
I was. Because you're mostly a dipshit and I knew it would get under your skin, Mr. Hughes.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

"I was really trolling all along," -Ragequit Jay

Yeah right.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"I was really trolling all along," -Ragequit Jay

Yeah right.
Trolling you, yes.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

For like 80 pages before you completely lost your shit. OK I guess you got me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard