KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I still find it hard to believe a family of 4.5 water bill in suburban NY is 1/3 the national average. Do you bathe? Wash your clothes? How do you do it?
I don't have a permanent irrigation system. Sprinklers use tremendous amounts of water. I also have high efficiency appliances. My water rates are low because water isn't scarce here. My electricity and gas bills though...

From my budget:
Gas       $195.00
Electric     $139.00
Water     $21.64
Solar     $76.88
from my budget (I also track this stuff) for one person.

2019 average per month:
Gas            $15
Electric       $35
Water         $17
Sewer        $25

This is for a condo with no yard.

I am looking at a bill dated 6/10/20.

This is per CCF (or HCF if that's what your municipality uses)
$1.47/CCF for up to 10 CCF
$2.00/CCF for 10-20 CCF
$4.86/CCF for 20-30 CCF
$13.63/CCF for over 30 CCF

I did a rough estimate and I use about 8 CCF (or about 6,000 gallons) of water a month. That seems like a lot.

PS: That gas bill is insane.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
What I think is going on is that Jay doesn't use tap water. Instead he goes to the nearest pond, steals water, and then boils it at home. That is why his water bill is so low but his gas bill is so high.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

I mean, I live in a desert and we are still regulated as far as how much water we can use (hence the sliding scale based on overall usage), so I'm sure my rates are among the top in the U.S. by region, but it does seem odd. I'm interested in seeing the CCF usage - maybe Jay is like my dad and tries to make his kids shower like they did in the Marine Corps, where you turn the water off during the soap up period, then turn it back on when you're ready to rinse.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
That's child abuse.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

He also liked to wake us up on the weekends with a serving of ice water to the face if we slept in. Dick!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
You should go to Thailand and sleep with his young wife in revenge. Cuck him good.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the connection between pensions and water bills. Is the suggestion that the actual commodity cost is a small fraction of the fees charged, with the rest being taxes? Wouldn't the very first journalist to even give the water bills a cursory thought have figured that out and published on the front page of the NYT?

Jay, I've noticed that as the US 2020 election approaches you've been expressing more theories that the Democratic Party is the root of all issues in America. I don't mean this to be demeaning--I only hope you've also noticed.
Why would the NYT publish an article about taxation? Their reader base already knows, and doesn't care.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I still find it hard to believe a family of 4.5 water bill in suburban NY is 1/3 the national average. Do you bathe? Wash your clothes? How do you do it?
I don't have a permanent irrigation system. Sprinklers use tremendous amounts of water. I also have high efficiency appliances. My water rates are low because water isn't scarce here. My electricity and gas bills though...

From my budget:
Gas       $195.00
Electric     $139.00
Water     $21.64
Solar     $76.88
from my budget (I also track this stuff) for one person.

2019 average per month:
Gas            $15
Electric       $35
Water         $17
Sewer        $25

$2.00/CCF for 10-20 CCF
$4.86/CCF for 20-30 CCF

I did a rough estimate and I use about 8 CCF (or about 6,000 gallons) of water a month. That seems like a lot.

Nuts, right? Cold winters, old leaky wood framed windows and a state governmentthat keeps blocking new gas pipelines because... climate change. Better everyone uses fuel oil or electricity generated by coal plants, I guess. Not the brightest bulbs running my state... anyway.

That's flat rate, too. $2,340/yr just to heat my house and water.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You should go to Thailand and sleep with his young wife in revenge. Cuck him good.
My dad is currently in Colorado taking care of my 100 year old grandmother. His brother (the one who was serving as caretaker) passed away in February. My dad was also his brother's caretaker for the ~4 months that he was alive after the diagnosis.

My uncle was a good man. He built by hand two airplanes, both of which he flew before selling. He built a geodesic dome in his backyard as a workshop for his airplanes. He was working on a 3rd plane (at 78 years old) when he passed. He was the most intelligent and gregarious man I've ever met. I looked up to him greatly and I miss him dearly.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I am sorry for your loss.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I mean, I live in a desert and we are still regulated as far as how much water we can use (hence the sliding scale based on overall usage), so I'm sure my rates are among the top in the U.S. by region, but it does seem odd. I'm interested in seeing the CCF usage - maybe Jay is like my dad and tries to make his kids shower like they did in the Marine Corps, where you turn the water off during the soap up period, then turn it back on when you're ready to rinse.
About 9.5 CCF/month, I think. I'm locked out of my account right now so I'm estimating.

https://www.scwa.com/assets/1/6/MainFCKEditorDimension/NEW_rate_chart_Website_4_1_2020.JPG

Last edited by Jay (2020-06-23 18:27:55)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Really goes to show how much of a ripoff bottled water is. $1.00 for a small bottle of Poland Spring or $0.01 for 5 gallons from my tap. Crazy.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Your city's tap is far better-regulated and as a result, most likely far better quality too.

Interesting how removing profit motive results in lower cost. Who would have thought!?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Poland spring taste better than tap water.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Sugar water tastes better than tap water to most people too. Taste =/= quality.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
Water is water. Except seltzer water that shit is trash.

My grade school is next to a water plant that has won awards for its taste.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-06-23 18:58:31)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I wonder how the people in Flint felt about the quality of tap water.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
They wish they voted republican
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

I wonder why store-bought water costs so much more when those private companies don't have to worry about *checks notes* democrats and pensions.
uziq
+492|3449
goddamn fake climate change increasing my bills!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

most people fishing for recruitment on linkedin from china are probably looking for intelligence or intellectual property. lol.

it’s funny how you’re both just flattering yourselves. aw, you guys!
They're fishing for sales, its annoying when people do that, no matter how cute or desperate they are.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

2019 average per month:
Gas            $15
Electric       $35
Water         $17
Sewer        $25

$2.00/CCF for 10-20 CCF
$4.86/CCF for 20-30 CCF

As a family of four we use 11,000 gal/mth, thats with a garden sprinkler system. Yes we turn off the shower when we're not actually using the water.

I think American appliances are just grossly inefficient, when I've costed them at work they typically use twice the power and four times the water of a german machine to do the same work, and germany isn't short of water.
Same goes for domestic washing machines, although we are in the habit of having American ones and they're much better than they used to be.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

it’s amazing how quickly liberals will sponsor state takeovers of industry and nationalisation.
Still waiting to hear a CEO say "Yup, when the tide goes out we see who's been swimming without speedos, its right that my company should be liquidated and I should be bankrupted, thats free market capitalism." Instead of "Govt money, GIMME GIMME GIMME"

Here there was a long argument about whether the govt should bail out over-indebted Virgin airlines 'to maintain competition'.
Its a standard blag now, take control of a business, load it up with debt to the hilt, pay yourself a huge whack, if it goes wrong either the govt will bail you out or the shareholders will be fucked.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

2019 average per month:
Gas            $15
Electric       $35
Water         $17
Sewer        $25

$2.00/CCF for 10-20 CCF
$4.86/CCF for 20-30 CCF

As a family of four we use 11,000 gal/mth, thats with a garden sprinkler system. Yes we turn off the shower when we're not actually using the water.

I think American appliances are just grossly inefficient, when I've costed them at work they typically use twice the power and four times the water of a german machine to do the same work, and germany isn't short of water.
Same goes for domestic washing machines, although we are in the habit of having American ones and they're much better than they used to be.
You must've tested old equipment. Everything now is high efficiency trash that uses almost no water but takes several times longer to finish a cycle.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
According to Google the all time average was 35,900 in mid-April. Assuming the southern states don't start to take things seriously, we will be seeing a national spike soon.
https://i.imgur.com/LP0K74R.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard