Larssen
+99|1878

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I wouldn't say business administration is an academic discipline though. It's taught at university sure, but I find it to be rather light on theory, lackluster in content, somewhat heavy on statistics and basic arithmetic. It lacks the intellectual engagement many other fields bring and is basically a cash-cow for universities. An MBA at insead or hbs costs some 80-100k.
everybody is snobby about the business schools but they do produce research. they write theses. they borrow and implement in vogue academic ideas, from politics/economics and elsewhere (which do have full-fledged academic departments on campus). they undertake projects.
I know, I've read a few. There's certainly some good applications but just producing research and setting up projects is a pretty low bar.
uziq
+492|3443
we are talking to jay. his college made him do book reports. i don't think he even did a research thesis.

no surprises that he thinks all academic work is 'copying those that came before you' and 'learning to say the right things to pass the exam'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-24 16:05:32)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

While we're on numbers and wars in a pandemic thread, it's probably worth dragging these figures out once again:

99,268 US deaths due to coronavirus, 0.03% of a population of 330.8 million, over the course of several months.

58,208 US deaths due to Vietnam War, 0.0325% of a population of 179.3 million (census first year of war), over the course of 20 years.

Vietnam, it's just a "little war®."
Larssen
+99|1878
Well with dunces like bill o reilly and trump passing through harvard and wharton and those rich parents scandals in that university in california I can't say I blame the average american for their dim opinion of the quality of education received.
Larssen
+99|1878

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

While we're on numbers and wars in a pandemic thread, it's probably worth dragging these figures out once again:

99,268 US deaths due to coronavirus, 0.03% of a population of 330.8 million, over the course of several months.

58,208 US deaths due to Vietnam War, 0.0325% of a population of 179.3 million (census first year of war), over the course of 20 years.

Vietnam, it's just a "little war®."
I used this example when the tally was equal. Some people got furious over the comparison. Delusional.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
I got an A on a paper comparing the foreign policy success of JFK and Nixon in a class at Rutgers on the American Presidency. I made the argument that Nixon had a more successful foreign policy. When I got my paper back it had a big "I do not agree with your thesis but it was well argued".

Of history and political science, I think political science is more open to "I disagree but well researched". History especially older history is more settled.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1878
It's a fucking pain contributing original insights into something like the reign of augustus or the french revolution. Some 200 years of historians covered almost every seen and unseen nook and cranny there is.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-24 16:16:19)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

Larssen wrote:

Well with dunces like bill o reilly and trump passing through harvard and wharton and those rich parents scandals in that university in california I can't say I blame the average american for their dim opinion of the quality of education received.
Bill O'Rielly was a legitimate and respected journalist at one point. His history books are pop history and often very flawed but I feel confident in thinking he didn't have them ghost written. Of course he sold out for Fox News money and the ability to sexual harass women at work. But that shouldn't be held against him at all. You would have to be stupid to not sell out. I would take a large salary to promote the gay sciences, trans supremacism, and militant Islam if someone paid me to do so.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Trans supremacism what.
Larssen
+99|1878
the mental images are priceless
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

Bill O'Rielly was a legitimate and respected journalist at one point. His history books are pop history and often very flawed but I feel confident in thinking he didn't have them ghost written. Of course he sold out for Fox News money and the ability to sexual harass women at work. But that shouldn't be held against him at all. You would have to be stupid to not sell out. I would take a large salary to promote the gay sciences, trans supremacism, and militant Islam if someone paid me to do so.
I'd rather have the professional athlete life. Retired at 35 and nothing is expected of you the rest of your life.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Trans supremacism what.
I don't know. But I feel like if I got paid $100,000 to make it up I could.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Shouldn't be too hard. Just write about the burgeoning hordes of transgendered manazons wanting to shoulder their way into the restroom with your audience's aunts/mothers/nieces and slap the label on.
uziq
+492|3443

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I'd rather have the professional athlete life. Retired at 35 and nothing is expected of you the rest of your life.
professional athletes blow out their bodies and typically make terrible financial decisions.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

If that's all jay wants why wouldn't he want the successful classical dot com startup's life? Sell out to a larger company and kick back. Or become an alternate reality's Bezos.

I wonder if Notch destroyed his rotator cuff while programming minecraft.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Shouldn't be too hard. Just write about the burgeoning hordes of transgendered manazons wanting to shoulder their way into the restroom with your audience's aunts/mothers/nieces and slap the label on.
I meant I could make trans supremacism an actual idea. Like convince people that being trans is the future. The future is gender fluid.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If that's all jay wants why wouldn't he want the successful classical dot com startup's life? Sell out to a larger company and kick back. Or become an alternate reality's Bezos.

I wonder if Notch destroyed his rotator cuff while programming minecraft.
Sports are more fun than coding
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Sports are probably more fun without frequent concussions or getting your muscles perpetually stitched back together by a surgeon.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
Video posted by a reporter shows partiers crowded together in a pool at the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, this Memorial Day weekend.

Scott Pasmore, an anchor for CNN affiliate KTVK, shot the video at Backwater Jacks Bar & Grill in Osage Beach on Saturday.

The gathering violates social distancing measures intended to limit the spread of Covid-19. As part of Missouri's reopening plan announced earlier this month, state officials said restaurants may offer dining-in services but must adhere to social distancing and other precautionary public health measures.
Jodi Akins, from Blue Springs, told CNN in a message that she visited the bar with four friends for a pool party on Saturday.
"When we walked up my first words were 'oh my gosh' it was intense for sure!! Social distancing was nonexistent. However everyone was enjoying themselves. It was a very carefree environment but security was heavy!!" she wrote to CNN.
https://twitter.com/scottpasmoretv/stat … index.html

Statistically there was at least one asymptotic carrier there.
uziq
+492|3443
"Good!  Great to see this.  The lockdown was the single worst public policy decision in the history of our country.  Far more people will die from the lockdown than the China virus.  Democrat tyrants and science experts are to blame for this medical and economic disaster"

ahaha
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Stuff like "asymptotic" is one of the reasons I don't let autocorrect do my writing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
shut up, newbie
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
https://preview.redd.it/hrwhjakcqs051.jpg?width=500&auto=webp&s=4e166b9fab6e272b3980911f91ef64b4ba265a5f
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
selective coloring belongs in the past
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard