Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
McNamara was an MBA, not an academic. He worked at Ford after WW2.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Business school is a form of academia way more destructive than any other.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Didn't you want to study poli sci?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

McNamara was an MBA, not an academic. He worked at Ford after WW2.
how is an MBA not academia? and yes, everyone knows he got recruited from ford or general motors or whatever.

the way he directed the vietnam war was heavily influenced by modish academic ideas. a lot of them disastrous, too. i am trying to make the point that academia wasn't a bunch of left-wing 'cowards'. many research scientists contributed to the war effort, lots of laboratories and research programmes were set-up to that end. look at the close institutional ties between american colleges and the manhattan project ffs.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-24 15:33:06)

Larssen
+99|1886
No, mcnamara served the entirety of the US's involvement in WW2. In an analyst role far from any front, but he was far more useful there than anywhere else.

I would qualify him as an academic. His approach to problem solving (mostly talking about his tenure in Ford's board) was impressive.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

My second B.A. is Poli Sci. If I was good at math, I would have majored in economics. I am glad I didn't though. Finding a job in the private sector would have been easier with an economics degree but private sector employment is a shit show. I would rather cut my own throat than have to work in the private sector again.
uziq
+492|3450
isn't the whole point of the documentary that he expresses some contrition and regret over his numbers-based approach to the war?

weren't my lai and many other examples of military atrocity down to american GIs hunting numbers? where a dead vietcong made up the KPIs?

but never mind. i can't be bothered.
Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

isn't the whole point of the documentary that he expresses some contrition and regret over his numbers-based approach to the war?

weren't my lai and many other examples of military atrocity down to american GIs hunting numbers? where a dead vietcong made up the KPIs?

It was and yes that is true. The documentary covers only a small part of the extent of it, but McNamara was the driving force behind the data-based approach to war in vietnam. His generals were keen on it as well.

All around a massive human tragedy.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-24 15:34:27)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

My second B.A. is Poli Sci. If I was good at math, I would have majored in economics. I am glad I didn't though. Finding a job in the private sector would have been easier with an economics degree but private sector employment is a shit show. I would rather cut my own throat than have to work in the private sector again.
Poli Sci is the same idea as an MBA, no? Application of scientific principals to politics rather than to business? Efficiency, logic, feedback etc.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1886
The fog of war & ken burns' vietnam war together offer a remarkably detailed view into the policies in vietnam and their results. Don't think any other conflict has had such extensive 'popular media' coverage, of great quality no less.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

It was and yes that is true. The documentary covers only a small part of the extent of it, but McNamara was the driving force behind the data-based approach to war in vietnam. His generals were keen on it as well.

All around a massive human tragedy.
it is a very good movie. much more of a success (from the director's POV) than the follow-up one he did on rumsfeld. the latter didn't give up shit. just empty platitudes (known unknowns etc).

another good documentary i recommend, more recently, is werner herzog's one on gorbachev. similarly candid access. actually quite insane.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

The fog of war & ken burns' vietnam war together offer a remarkably detailed view into the policies in vietnam and their results. Don't think any other conflict has had such extensive 'popular media' coverage, of great quality no less.
definitely watch norma percy's 'the death of yugoslavia'. it's about 5-6 parts long and is the best long-form documentary i have ever seen.

it's all on youtube at this point.
Larssen
+99|1886

Jay wrote:

Poli Sci is the same idea as an MBA, no? Application of scientific principals to politics rather than to business? Efficiency, logic, feedback etc.
I would say the commonly referred 'MBA mindset' was very much a product of post-WW2 rationalism and what I'll call mathematical optimism. This permeated into every field. Justifying theories through mathematical formulae and quantitative reasoning was en vogue and a good/easy way to rake in research grants.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

This one?

uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

much more influential ideas than efficiencies (that's very taylorist rather than fordist) were data-related fields, computation/modelling and, later in the cold war, game theory.

the entire US university system was still geared for war-making after ww2. huge amounts of research money was military or industrial. scientists would glide between academic posts or laboratory work and employment in the private sector, or sitting on boards. the idea that academia was a collection of cowards from the left is really funny. people like oppenheimer were the prototypical scientist-academic of the 20th century.
uziq
+492|3450
it is a staggering documentary. when you see all the people assembled and appearing on it. and their candour/open-ness. this was prior to half of them being dragged before the european/world courts and strung up for crimes against humanity, etc. when the history was still open and raw and yet to be settled.

there are 5 or so more parts after that.

even the intro music gives me huge flashbacks. i binge-watched it about 4 times during my university years. normally on some sort of huge chemical comedown. good stuff.
Larssen
+99|1886
I wouldn't say business administration is an academic discipline though. It's taught at university sure, but I find it to be rather light on theory, lackluster in content, somewhat heavy on statistics and basic arithmetic. It lacks the intellectual engagement many other fields bring and is basically a cash-cow for universities. An MBA at insead or hbs costs some 80-100k.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I've got the 1-6 playlist up from that link. It's been playing for the past five minutes and looks really familiar. I think I saw it in high school. Def going to watch again.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

I wouldn't say business administration is an academic discipline though. It's taught at university sure, but I find it to be rather light on theory, lackluster in content, somewhat heavy on statistics and basic arithmetic. It lacks the intellectual engagement many other fields bring and is basically a cash-cow for universities. An MBA at insead or hbs costs some 80-100k.
That's cheap. An MBA at Columbia costs $160k. You're paying for the networking opportunity more than the actual academic portion of it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1886
You pay more for the brandname on your CV honestly. People tout the networking but that's kinda BS. Your professional network derived from the workplace is a better and more reliable bet. Unless an employer offers you a free MBA, never do it.

The differentiating factor has also waned off. MBAs from top schools are a dime a dozen these days.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-24 15:55:50)

uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

everybody is snobby about the business schools but they do produce research. they write theses. they borrow and implement in vogue academic ideas, from politics/economics and elsewhere (which do have full-fledged academic departments on campus). they undertake projects.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Work would pay for my masters, but I have neither the time nor the motivation. My professional license is worth more in my industry than a masters would be.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

In that case all of the social sciences and a lot of the humanities are just like MBAs. I don't think the sciences have a monopoly on logic and rationalism.

What I meant about business school being destructive is the fact that people who were educated at America's top business schools were the ones who shaped the country's economic policy for decades and came up with great ideas like outsourcing, privatization, and supply side economics.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In that case all of the social sciences and a lot of the humanities are just like MBAs. I don't think the sciences have a monopoly on logic and rationalism.

What I meant about business school being destructive is the fact that people who were educated at America's top business schools were the ones who shaped the country's economic policy for decades and came up with great ideas like outsourcing, privatization, and supply side economics.
They also led to Soviet-style 5 year plans
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am going to watch the Yugoslavia documentary and then declare who I think was right regarding Larssen and apex homosexual Uzique.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard