unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

George Carlin used it in his routines but some of his fans are living it unironically.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

uziq wrote:

treating politics as entertainment is just as much of a general malaise as treating party politics as a spectator sport. you can probably thank the media for reducing politicians to the same level as celebrities.
I usually don't like to say "Americans had it too easy" because the overwhelming majority of Americans are barely hanging on whether they realize it or not. But the politics as entertainment thing is a sign of a society that never had to deal with existential political crisis in a long time.

The Chinese and Russians might have overly authoritarian political systems but they have the excuse that within living memory they had to deal with genocidal invasions and cataclysmic civil wars. What is America's excuse for our Democrat vs Republican football system?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
your president is a thirteen times vietnam draft dodger or whatever so it doesn’t surprise me that the lack of commitment and the courage of real convictions is systemic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I find it kind of funny that some people vociferously condemn the Vietnam War but then hold draft dodgers to task for weaseling out of it decades later and into the next century as well.

uziq
+492|3451
people don’t condemn conscientious objectors. they condemn draft dodgers who got out of it because they were connected or had money. it seems like a pretty simple code of ethics to me.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I don't know if I'd respect Donald Trump more for having sat his ass down on a carrier bunk or shooting the Vietnamese from the comfort of a cockpit before I was born. He'd probably still be an irascible boor.
uziq
+492|3451
the logic of finding draft dodgers contemptible is not exactly hard to grasp. i’m a little dumbfounded. it’s not about respecting war veterans. it’s about the rich and powerful getting out of service whilst the working people have to send off their kids to die. that’s an affront to democracy.

if people want to conscientiously object, it normally comes with a huge stigma, not to say legal repercussions. you are making a principled stand that will negatively affect your life. draft dodgers also, at least in the time, silently sidestep this privation.

come on newbie. rustle up some commonsense.

meanwhile in ruddlerless and leadership-free UK
https://mobile.twitter.com/LiveInUKLove … 4871358467
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
The pointlessness of the Vietnam War was really proven when the U.S. started to ally with Vietnam once they won the war.

The aircraft carrier that Trump fired the captain of visited Vietnam in March as a gesture of friendship.
https://d2v9ipibika81v.cloudfront.net/uploads/sites/40/2016/03/navy-marine-commander021816.jpg
Americans and our dollar is probably more welcome in Vietnam than most of the rest of Asia we bust our ass over today.

I am grateful and deeply respect the fact that Vietnam forgave us instead of acting like Iran has.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Maybe in some alternate universe he joined up then made a yuge deal with Ho Chi Minh, ending the war early.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Maybe in some alternate universe he joined up then made a yuge deal with Ho Chi Minh, ending the war early.
After the Japanese left,  Ho Chi Minh and the communist attempted to convince the U.S. to give them independence. Instead we transferred Vietnam back to France. Amazingly wrong call back then from the "Greatest Generation".

IIRC, Castro and the communist tried to become friendly with the U.S. after their takeover but were told to fuck off. Interestingly that is another place more desperate for American visitors and dollars than Israel, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afghanistan...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Japanese forces did surrender to ROC and the British, though.

To my recollection of materials (and of course hindsight), I think some of it could be rested on the shoulders of Truman's relative inexperience. We went from not supporting the French reconquest of Vietnam to being sort of indifferent about it and wanting to keep France happy as an ally against the Soviet Union. "Ehh, as long as you don't use our P47s."

Disregard for the cultures of these countries probably isn't a thing that has ever helped.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Japanese forces did surrender to ROC and the British, though.

To my recollection of materials (and of course hindsight), I think some of it could be rested on the shoulders of Truman's relative inexperience. We went from not supporting the French reconquest of Vietnam to being sort of indifferent about it and wanting to keep France happy as an ally against the Soviet Union. "Ehh, as long as you don't use our P47s."

Disregard for the cultures of these countries probably isn't a thing that has ever helped.
Truman wasn't thought of very highly by the leadership of the rest of the world at the time. He was generally regarded as a party politician. He may in fact have been responsible for screwing up a lot of the post-World War 2 U.S.-Soviet relationship. And he left office widely disliked.

Truman was strongly opposed to communism while FDR famously got along well with Stalin. FDR's personal politics was definitely more tolerable of communism than people want to admit too. People who opposed the New Deal weren't totally wrong when they compared it to communism and fascism. And the fact that FDR aided the Soviet Union when they didn't have to was something that even the Soviets acknowledge. It was either Khrushchev or Zhukov who acknowledged that Stalin admitted privately that they couldn't have won without U.S. supplies. If FDR had lived just long enough to manage the transition from Stalin to Khrushchev, the world would be a better place. FDR also believed more strongly in decolonization and the third world might have had an easier time of it.

What a shame that man couldn't get his fifth term. It does put into perspective how some countries can genuinely love their dictatorship.
Larssen
+99|1886
The US was absolutely crucial to the soviet (and british) war effort. The public at the time was opposed to any sort of involvement in europe, so he creatively found the only way he could contribute to the allied war effort.

As for communist sympathies - many, many people were sympathetic to communist ideals at the time. If you strip away the benefit of hindsight we have and imagine yourself in the context of the time it is easy to see why.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-24 14:42:48)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

uziq wrote:

people don’t condemn conscientious objectors. they condemn draft dodgers who got out of it because they were connected or had money. it seems like a pretty simple code of ethics to me.
Like half the PhD's in the US?

Well, I suppose they're retiring now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

the logic of finding draft dodgers contemptible is not exactly hard to grasp. i’m a little dumbfounded. it’s not about respecting war veterans. it’s about the rich and powerful getting out of service whilst the working people have to send off their kids to die. that’s an affront to democracy.

if people want to conscientiously object, it normally comes with a huge stigma, not to say legal repercussions. you are making a principled stand that will negatively affect your life. draft dodgers also, at least in the time, silently sidestep this privation.

come on newbie. rustle up some commonsense.

meanwhile in ruddlerless and leadership-free UK
https://mobile.twitter.com/LiveInUKLove … 4871358467
Draft dodging wasn't exclusively a rich thing, you know. Being an antiwar activist generally was though. The same people that used to buy substitutes for themselves suddenly found they had to serve their country. The horror!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am not sure if you had to be rich to be an antiwar activist or if economic opportunities were just greater back. Like back in the 60's a white kid could spend their early twenties traveling around America before settling into some job that allowed them to own a home. In our time, if a kid doesn't go straight into higher education after high school they will be behind enough that they may never recover.
uziq
+492|3451
in trump's case it was, so why not call it for what it is? most politicians come from military service or at least education in civic and public life. trump is a moral vacuum.

i don't know know what your 'half the PhDs in the US' refers to. are you somehow saying it was wrong that top researchers weren't sent to hamburger hill or? you do know that half of US higher-education research back then was basically one big R&D wing for the military, right?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

uziq wrote:

the logic of finding draft dodgers contemptible is not exactly hard to grasp. i’m a little dumbfounded.
I actually missed that reply. I'm still not sure what the cause is for argument. At the end of the day, I don't really care if people dodged Vietnam because they were lazy, scared or conscientious objectors. Certainly not in 2020. Maybe even no military service is a better mark on someone's record than poor and unreliable military service.

It's funny to me that there are Trump supporters who still hate draft dodgers and "cowards."

It's funny to me that people who despise the Vietnam war use lack of service in it as an attack when there are so many juicier characteristics for them to pan.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

in trump's case it was, so why not call it for what it is? most politicians come from military service or at least education in civic and public life. trump is a moral vacuum.

i don't know know what your 'half the PhDs in the US' refers to. are you somehow saying it was wrong that top researchers weren't sent to hamburger hill or? you do know that half of US higher-education research back then was basically one big R&D wing for the military, right?
I'm saying that they all hid in college for a decade to avoid the draft.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
i'm sure as someone who had to go shoot little girls in iraq for 4 years to even get near a nissen-hut classroom for a simulation of college, that offends you greatly.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
You have to be a fucking moron to think serving in the military for any other reason than the economic benefits is a good idea. This country doesn't care about its people, military or not. If a young soldier gets his head blown off in the Middle East, American Republicans would still prefer his widow and children be homeless than have to pay taxes for their food stamps and housing. Our enemies treat their soldiers better.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oh, I don't care. My Vietnam veteran father does.

I think it did have a net negative impact on society and higher education though. Utterly selfish, cowardly, people rose to positions of power and respectability and preached hatred for the US from their pulpits. Would've been better off with no war and the idiots dying in obscurity. They're a big reason academia in America is near 90% left wing.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-24 15:18:23)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
people like mcnamara you mean?
Larssen
+99|1886
Mcnamara wasnt a draft dodger, I thought you watched the fog of war uzique. Basic undergraduate stuff. Half the docu is dedicated to his WW2 service.
uziq
+492|3451
his academic background was a huge part of his direction of the vietnam war.

i'm also sure that he dipped in and out of graduate school during ww2, as part of his 'service to his country', but i could be wrong. we are talking about a film from the early 00s, after all. i haven't actually watched it in at least 5 years.

which is my point, that large swathes of the military top-brass and its research were inextricably linked with academia.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-24 15:23:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard