Larssen
+99|1897
The guy from tiger king got nearly 20% of the vote in his run for governor. Your people are beyond hope.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In some respects, yes. We both hate Evangelicals but that's where the similarities mostly end. I like white liberals and Catholics a lot. A lot good things to say about those cultures. Meanwhile, GS hates you all in totality.

If you converted to Roman Catholicism and stopped defending Trump, I would say a lot of good things about your European heritage the next time Uzique makes fun of you for leaning into your "Swedish immigrant" storyline.
I know GS hates me. He buys critical theory 100%. A lot of people in the military do.

This is why he always said the military would turn on the populace. It's largely run by black power NCOs that hate white people.
I can't speak to the racial politics of the military officer class. (???)

From an outside perspective, I would expect 2/3 of the white military to go along with Trump if it came to it. That's not too far off from the White American voting patterns.
Probably.

The pandemic was probably the best thing to happen to the Democrats in a while. Anecdotally, my black friends were talking about voting for Trump because the economy was booming. Kanye helped too.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3461
tv stars are parlaying popularity into political careers the world over. it happens in europe too. we live in a media-reality. more postmodernism for you.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England

Larssen wrote:

The guy from tiger king got nearly 20% of the vote in his run for governor. Your people are beyond hope.
he'd probably win if he ran right now
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1897
I haven't seen a succesful jump from reality tv to politics anywhere but in the US.
uziq
+492|3461
europe has gone one further and elected comedians to high office. italy's far-right/five star movement were led by a comedian. ukraine elected a president who was a famous comedian on television, known for ... playing the president. you can't make it up. europe is even more postmodern and sophisticated.

at least trump was 'the boss' on television. europe is electing the court jester.

you could very easily argue that boris johnson's popularity is because of his many years and hard work as a 'tv personality'. before he was even known for politics or made a serious bid for elected office, he was an ex-journalist/quiz show/panel show guest. that sort of exposure warmed the public to him.

people knew him as 'that funny man from the television'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-07 15:45:42)

Larssen
+99|1897
Ukraine is not part of the EU, ha! Eastern Europe still has its soviet PTSD to shake, its democratic institutions and awareness needs some growth.

Italy, well. No comment I guess.
uziq
+492|3461
didn't iceland elect a pirate to high-office? i mean the EU is not exactly the august land of liberal reason.

i'd say democratic politics worldwide is at a nadir, when it comes to people elected to office. we've abandoned technocracy, sure enough, and have invited in any sort of dreck. the main criterion seems to be who has the most money behind them and who can hire the best big data firm. social media feed ads and media strategy carry the day.
uziq
+492|3461
A report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was abruptly shelved by the White House, according to AP News.
The document includes step-by-step guidance on how and when local authorities should allow businesses to reopen and life to resume as normal. The 17-page report was scheduled to be published on Friday but now the guidance “will never see the light of day,” a CDC official told AP.

It urges businesses to slowly reopen while continuing to observe social distancing, while the president has pushed for a rapid reopening despite fears of a surge in coronavirus cases.

The White House has sought to control guidance on the virus outbreak rather than the CDC, which has traditionally let the US fight against epidemics.

remember that when this gets worse, jay is going to be on hand to make excuses for trump's decision-making.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-07 16:11:04)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3729
Was democracy ever really good in the west? Mass democracy like the one we all grew up in is fairly recent. Meanwhile the direct elections of senators is a little over a 100 years old in America, and the primary system even younger. Wasn't there a bunch of reforms to the British system between the world wars? The Germans meanwhile were electing generals to government. The Spanish were civil warring. The Italians? Who even cares.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1897
I would argue we're still some ways away from a true nadir. I can only see Europe moving on in the event of another war / widespread revolt. A lot would have to happen before that becomes conceivable reality.

In the meantime the EU exercises some measure of control over the excess stupidity and short terminism in its member states.

This current crisis however is a catalyst of sorts depending on how truly bad it's going to get. Politically with someone like Orban, economically with the massive GDP shrinkage and foreseen necessary financial aid. There's a multitude of possible scenario's but it's going to take at least another year if not several for these dominos to start moving.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3729
We should try Integralism.
Larssen
+99|1897
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/stat … 4892035073

I wonder if Trump will ease his rhetoric or if, to paraphrase Jay, he will sacrifice the american people so his grandchildren may go to kindergarten.
uziq
+492|3461
jay thinks it has peaked. at one point he was claiming most new yorkers had already had it. he really thinks that. based on some unreliable and preliminary antibody testing.

to say nothing about reinfections and second peaks, later on. nope. the equally proven and dead-certain herd immunity will take care of that!

i’ve said it before, but there will be another peak in july. the government will have to go through the same tough questions all over again.

‘what is it with you hysterical doomsday fetishists?’

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-08 00:50:14)

Larssen
+99|1897
For there to be a new peak there first needs to be a low point, in the rest of the US no such thing seems to be happening. Though I'm sure the picture is more complicated if you look at it state-by-state.

I reckon the july timeline is too early and most western countries will experience a new wave in fall/winter, if by then cases still haven't been eliminated and there still is no effective treatment/countermeasure.

The French data on first cases indicates the virus had been active on the continent well before cases started to explode so a 3-4 month delay seems more likely.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-08 01:33:41)

uziq
+492|3461
july isn't too early for another big increase in cases in the states. most of the united states hasn't had local epidemics like new york city. there's still a hell of a lot of people yet to be infected. i am saying there will be an increase in july if they slacken the lockdown now.

'the french data' so far seems to be one case that they're investigating. unless there's been more news?

a lot like 'the french data' on the anti-malaria medicine. what is it with people citing very small, limited french papers as if they are global rules? context, man.

it has already been established that there are several mutations and now in fact two dominant strains of coronavirus. taking the contagiousness and behaviour of incipient covid-19 in november/december 2019 does not seem like the best tool.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-08 01:56:18)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3729

uziq wrote:

jay thinks it has peaked. at one point he was claiming most new yorkers had already had it. he really thinks that. based on some unreliable and preliminary antibody testing.

to say nothing about reinfections and second peaks, later on. nope. the equally proven and dead-certain herd immunity will take care of that!

i’ve said it before, but there will be another peak in july. the government will have to go through the same tough questions all over again.

‘what is it with you hysterical doomsday fetishists?’
I haven't a clue what they are going to do in September when school rolls around. It's one thing to cancel late in the year. Delaying opening or doing remote learning straight out of the gate is a whole different beast. How many people are even going to want to send their kids to school? What do the schools do when kids cough on each other? What do you do when someone gets a confirmed case?

You can say that by September we will have had herd immunity but if you multiple our daily infection rate by the amount of days until the new school year you are look at 3,000,000 extra cases in a country of 327,000,000. Still plenty of people left over to infect.

The only upside to any of this is the unemployment rate means that there are more parents people being able to stay home and contribute to homeschooling.
Larssen
+99|1897
Research in multiple countries has indicated kids were almost never the first to be infected in family settings and that they make up a small number of total cases. I think schools are relatively safe.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3729

Larssen wrote:

Research in multiple countries has indicated kids were almost never the first to be infected in family settings and that they make up a small number of total cases. I think schools are relatively safe.
Do the kids run the schools too? Do we ban parents from schools?

I don't want to have to go back to teaching in a physical space. I want to stay home longer. I would sacrifice everyone of you today if it meant Jay's kindergartener and me didn't have to go to start school.
Larssen
+99|1897
I mean if kids are a very low risk group I don't see why teachers would have an inordinately high risk of being infected, provided they follow social distancing guidelines among themselves.
uziq
+492|3461
the thinking is that children can become 'super-spreaders', essentially dosing the adults with whom they come into contact with huge amounts of the virus. the fact they don't get seriously sick with it doesn't mean they aren't capable hosts.

once you let classrooms of 20-30 children mix, you are effectively stirring a petri dish of 20-30 households. who then all go home and have close contact with their parents, at the very least, and other immediate family. you can't social distance from a kid. they are not independent adults.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-08 02:50:10)

uziq
+492|3461
it's VE day, obviously. that means an excuse for the british tabloids to draw wild analogies between covid-19 and ww2. just like it plays fast and loose with ww2 analogies and brexit. really a certain portion of this country have never let the war go. it's a very, very sad and pathetic national pastime.

anyway, a band of merry pranksters put this up.
https://appeasement.org/
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3729
The end of World War 2 for the British wasn't even the the nation's finest moment. All you had left was a moribund colonial Empire and a secondary part in the struggle between the Soviet Union and U.S.

World War 1 was a greater moment for the British Empire. The empire continued to expand, colonial control was weakened but sustainable, and multiple old European empires were gone. Unfortunately there isn't enough good footage to make people interested in that part of history. Same with the U.S.
Larssen
+99|1897

uziq wrote:

the thinking is that children can become 'super-spreaders', essentially dosing the adults with whom they come into contact with huge amounts of the virus. the fact they don't get seriously sick with it doesn't mean they aren't capable hosts.

once you let classrooms of 20-30 children mix, you are effectively stirring a petri dish of 20-30 households. who then all go home and have close contact with their parents, at the very least, and other immediate family. you can't social distance from a kid. they are not independent adults.
I mean the teachers among eachother rather than with kids. In any case, research in both Belgium and the Netherlands has stated children are much less likely to catch the virus let alone spread it. They aren't the feared superspreaders. Within families spread didn't happen because of infected children.
uziq
+492|3461
i don't think anyone really contests that. it took until like the 1980s to pay off our land grant debt. the country was still heavily rationed into the 1950s. the great war is just further receding into memory, and carries an unpleasant odour of 'ruling class send the young men off to die' about it. ww2 has more of a moral dimension which the great war lacked.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard