uziq
Member
+476|2880
You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
i think you put far too much stock in that sort of thing. larssen doesn't care what i said about belgium. it's ribbing that goes on between euros and brits all the time. how funny that you say to him that he 'doesn't understand the history' of this place and yet you immediately understand the context and jest between a brit and a european. again, bizarre post.

you also evidently take everything on here way, way too seriously. no wonder you think your vain personal threats will be received seriously. nobody cares, jay. nobody is getting their feelings hurt -- except you, it seems. why u heff to be mad?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-06 09:47:47)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

coke wrote:

Well I found a chart from a paper published by the American Journal of Public Health, and it goes to 1976, and the y axis for number of deaths only goes up to 50,000, but apparently that's the average and 100,000 is within the norms.
The numbers aren't very good, are they? I tried looking as well. The problem is that no one really notices the flu. It's kind of always in the background but it only ever really negatively impacts nursing homes and the like.

Here:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour … emics.html
Not quite once every 10 years, but once a generation it seems to hit.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+591|3147

uziq wrote:

the global average death-rate for coronavirus is currently somewhere around 2% to 2.5%. that is much higher than flu.
It's actually 17% bases off of confirmed cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And all causes of death are rising due to hospitals having COVID give away promotions. People are avoiding medical treatment in many cases until it is too late.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
Member
+476|2880
the problem is nobody really notices flu? huge amounts of money are spent every year developing vaccines and rolling-out immunisation programmes. lots of people notice flu. the thing is that experts are already taking care of it, dealing with it, literally each and every year in the case of fast-mutating flu. the effort and worry is exported so that you don't have to think about it.

flu is not negligible. it 'negatively impacts' a huge amount of the economy. people miss work, productivity is lost. we are offered seasonal flu jabs at my company. nurses come into the office.

flu is bad news, particularly for the elderly and weak. no mistake about it. it's just that covid-19 is not flu, not by classification or by severity. it's completely something else.

what started out as silly and superficial comparisons in week 1 of the pandemic by Fox news and the like has seemingly lodged itself in your brain as a fixed idea. really it would just be better altogether to stop comparing the thing to flu. there is no logic to it whatsoever.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6137|England. Stoke

Jay wrote:

coke wrote:

Well I found a chart from a paper published by the American Journal of Public Health, and it goes to 1976, and the y axis for number of deaths only goes up to 50,000, but apparently that's the average and 100,000 is within the norms.
The numbers aren't very good, are they? I tried looking as well. The problem is that no one really notices the flu. It's kind of always in the background but it only ever really negatively impacts nursing homes and the like.

Here:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour … emics.html
Not quite once every 10 years, but once a generation it seems to hit.
Yes the data is relatively hard to find. But you saying the average is 50,000 and 100 wouldn't be abnormal, just isn't true... 100,000 is perhaps "normal" for a major pandemic, of which there's been 3 in the last century that have hit near that 100,000 figure in the US, yes. But otherwise...
uziq
Member
+476|2880

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

the global average death-rate for coronavirus is currently somewhere around 2% to 2.5%. that is much higher than flu.
It's actually 17% bases off of confirmed cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And all causes of death are rising due to hospitals having COVID give away promotions. People are avoiding medical treatment in many cases until it is too late.
that alarmingly high number is effectively the case fatality rate (CFR), a different metric. but yes you're right about other 'avoidable deaths' increasing.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6137|England. Stoke

uziq wrote:

really it would just be better altogether to stop comparing the thing to flu. there is no logic to it whatsoever.
THIS.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

uziq wrote:

You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
i think you put far too much stock in that sort of thing. larssen doesn't care what i said about belgium. it's ribbing that goes on between euros and brits all the time. how funny that you say to him that he 'doesn't understand the history' of this place and yet you immediately understand the context and jest between a brit and a european. again, bizarre post.

you also evidently take everything on here way, way too seriously. no wonder you think your vain personal threats will be received seriously. nobody cares, jay. nobody is getting their feelings hurt -- except you, it seems. why u heff to be mad?
Because I don't like bullies, Aaron. You say oh it's just ribbing. No, you're quite masterful at using words as daggers. I really would've thrown punches over some of the stuff you've said to me over the years. That's really not something you should be proud of, or crow over. "I managed to piss off an American on the other side of the world by being a twat over and over and over until he finally had enough".
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+476|2880
Q_q

once again it's not my problem if you're quick to resort to violence. we aren't all from Southie. this is an internet forum where people debate and discuss things in writing. the fact you're so quick to boil over is a symptom of your poor education. you are literally the stereotype of a hayseed who slugs a person who intimidates them by talking or dressing in a way they can't understand. that is nothing to be proud of, jay.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-06 10:02:12)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6137|England. Stoke
Calls people bullies, threatens people with violence on a internet forum :S
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+591|3147

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

i flamed people, i can take a flaming. i don't know why you cast yourself in the role of 'divine retributor' when you threaten to kick my ass. it makes you look like an utter idiot.

those discussions were also a whole lot of shooting the shit and amusement over games. we are discussing covid-19 here now, discussing facts and real-world events. how is the history of bf2s even relevant? why would larssen, or anyone else, even give the faintest care?

you make some very bizarre posts.
You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
Meanwhile Macbeth and Dilbert hold the line. We are no cucks.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

uziq wrote:

the problem is nobody really notices flu? huge amounts of money are spent every year developing vaccines and rolling-out immunisation programmes. lots of people notice flu. the thing is that experts are already taking care of it, dealing with it, literally each and every year in the case of fast-mutating flu. the effort and worry is exported so that you don't have to think about it.

flu is not negligible. it 'negatively impacts' a huge amount of the economy. people miss work, productivity is lost. we are offered seasonal flu jabs at my company. nurses come into the office.

flu is bad news, particularly for the elderly and weak. no mistake about it. it's just that covid-19 is not flu, not by classification or by severity. it's completely something else.

what started out as silly and superficial comparisons in week 1 of the pandemic by Fox news and the like has seemingly lodged itself in your brain as a fixed idea. really it would just be better altogether to stop comparing the thing to flu. there is no logic to it whatsoever.
Yes, the flu is background noise. Most people don't even take off work when they get it. At most, maybe a day or two. They take some over the counter medication and get on with their lives. It's not remarkable.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
Member
+94|1315

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I have come to know Jay is of limited intellectual ability.
Because I disagree with you? Because I belittle you for your beliefs? Because you come across as a soft bureaucrat with little real world experience? You came here writing long diatribes that were mildly interesting only because they tended to make uzi pause, and that was amusing.

You don't understand the backstory on this forum. You didn't see uzi preening like a peacock and shitting on everyone for half a decade, or his cult of personality that would suck up to him to avoid his vicious tongue lashings when he gave them a pat on the head. You see me shitting on him all day, and being mean to him, well, if you knew the history here, you'd see that he deserves every last insult for all the millions of insults and the shitty way he has treated literally everyone here. We devolve into personal insults here because of him, because every time he feels like he's lost he launches some attack on a person's character or shits on their life. He's not a smart person, although I will give him his due that he writes moderately well.

He's not your friend or your ally here. He is just a relentless sad sack with too much time that invariably lies about his personal life to make him seem more interesting than he is. He is an internet troll, nothing more.
Ah posting about regular politics, epistemology, history and international relations - I kind of miss that in the midst of this pandemic. Already feels long ago.

I don't particularly care for the feud or enmity between the both of you. I care about the contents of your writing and I'll have a response ready when it is wrong. You have been wrong for 100 pages now, it has nothing to do with belief or interpretation but your stubborn inability, wilfull or not, to evaluate the facts of the situation at hand. The insults make me laugh and I've been doing a little ribbing myself because I'm in awe of how far off the deep end you're diving. Don't worry though, I won't go as far as saying people beat their wives. You can expect some manner of decorum and decency from me, even though you stated you'd nobly sacrifice me for the sake of your kids' playtime and keep finding ways to describe me as a soft/effeminate or an object of hate.

I have in the past posted quite a bit about NATO, war zones, conflicts and countries' foreign policies. That should give you enough of an inclination of my particular bureaucrat background. Not quite a softy arena, but even if it was - you seem to weirdly connect a certain style of writing or thinking with meek, emotional people. It's the strangest thing. First, I'm a rationality first type of person. Second, you played center in football, I played lock on the rugby pitch. Not a wussy sport but you're free to try your hand at it and see if it aligns with your imagination of liberals and public servants being weak-willed and effeminate.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-06 10:06:58)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

i flamed people, i can take a flaming. i don't know why you cast yourself in the role of 'divine retributor' when you threaten to kick my ass. it makes you look like an utter idiot.

those discussions were also a whole lot of shooting the shit and amusement over games. we are discussing covid-19 here now, discussing facts and real-world events. how is the history of bf2s even relevant? why would larssen, or anyone else, even give the faintest care?

you make some very bizarre posts.
You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
Meanwhile Macbeth and Dilbert hold the line. We are no cucks.
Dilbert was smart and gave up no personal details. uzi spends all his time tilting at a brick wall with him. I was stupid and let out my personal information.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+476|2880

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

the problem is nobody really notices flu? huge amounts of money are spent every year developing vaccines and rolling-out immunisation programmes. lots of people notice flu. the thing is that experts are already taking care of it, dealing with it, literally each and every year in the case of fast-mutating flu. the effort and worry is exported so that you don't have to think about it.

flu is not negligible. it 'negatively impacts' a huge amount of the economy. people miss work, productivity is lost. we are offered seasonal flu jabs at my company. nurses come into the office.

flu is bad news, particularly for the elderly and weak. no mistake about it. it's just that covid-19 is not flu, not by classification or by severity. it's completely something else.

what started out as silly and superficial comparisons in week 1 of the pandemic by Fox news and the like has seemingly lodged itself in your brain as a fixed idea. really it would just be better altogether to stop comparing the thing to flu. there is no logic to it whatsoever.
Yes, the flu is background noise. Most people don't even take off work when they get it. At most, maybe a day or two. They take some over the counter medication and get on with their lives. It's not remarkable.
for working-age people, yes, you're right.

but that is the consequence of high rates of immunity to flu. our immune systems have been catching strains of flu every year and either batting them off or spending a few days in bed for most of our lives. exposure is very high. vaccinations are in place to supplement the weak and elderly.

from an immunology and public health perspective, we've had a lot of practice and preparation with flu.

flu as a virus has different characteristics, furthermore. it does not survive well in dry environments or environments with strong sunlight. therefore it's highly seasonal. it doesn't last for long on surfaces. transmission between people (that r0 factor i keep mentioning) is fairly low. flu's spread is therefore manageable. it is not highly contagious and most strains/mutations rarely develop above epidemic-scale (e.g. H1N1 in 2009).

coronavirus is a completely novel disease. i feel like i'm repeating myself here from page 20. we have no immunity built up from years of casual exposure. we have no vaccine. it is a completely different scenario. therefore please, for the love of god, stop comparing coronavirus to flu.

once again: the fact it's an upper respiratory tract infection and gives us a fever/pneumonia, does not mean it is the same beast. those are immune responses. those are symptoms. they do not describe the virus itself. once again: the death rate, transmission rate, and seasonality of flu is completely non-comparable to coronavirus.

can we draw a line under the flu thing finally?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-06 10:18:29)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I have come to know Jay is of limited intellectual ability.
Because I disagree with you? Because I belittle you for your beliefs? Because you come across as a soft bureaucrat with little real world experience? You came here writing long diatribes that were mildly interesting only because they tended to make uzi pause, and that was amusing.

You don't understand the backstory on this forum. You didn't see uzi preening like a peacock and shitting on everyone for half a decade, or his cult of personality that would suck up to him to avoid his vicious tongue lashings when he gave them a pat on the head. You see me shitting on him all day, and being mean to him, well, if you knew the history here, you'd see that he deserves every last insult for all the millions of insults and the shitty way he has treated literally everyone here. We devolve into personal insults here because of him, because every time he feels like he's lost he launches some attack on a person's character or shits on their life. He's not a smart person, although I will give him his due that he writes moderately well.

He's not your friend or your ally here. He is just a relentless sad sack with too much time that invariably lies about his personal life to make him seem more interesting than he is. He is an internet troll, nothing more.
Ah posting about regular politics, epistemology, history and international relations - I kind of miss that in the midst of this pandemic. Already feels long ago.

I don't particularly care for the feud or enmity between the both of you. I care about the contents of your writing and I'll have a response ready when it is wrong. You have been wrong for 100 pages now, it has nothing to do with belief or interpretation but your stubborn inability, wilfull or not, to evaluate the facts of the situation at hand. The insults make me laugh and I've been doing a little ribbing myself because I'm in awe of how far off the deep end you're diving. Don't worry though, I won't go as far as saying people beat their wives. You can expect some manner of decorum and decency from me, even though you stated you'd nobly sacrifice me for the sake of your kids' playtime and keep finding ways to describe me as a soft/effeminate or an object of hate.

I have in the past posted quite a bit about NATO, war zones, conflicts and countries' foreign policies. That should give you enough of an inclination of my particular bureaucrat background. Not quite a softy arena, but even if it was - you seem to weirdly connect a certain style of writing or thinking with meek, emotional people. It's the strangest thing. First, I'm a rationality first type of person. Second, you played center in football, I played lock on the rugby pitch. Not a wussy sport but you're free to try your hand at it and see if it aligns with your imagination of liberals and public servants being weak-willed and effeminate.
I played guard and linebacker, mostly. I only played center as a long snapper on special teams. I wrestled, and played lacrosse as well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+476|2880

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:


You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
Meanwhile Macbeth and Dilbert hold the line. We are no cucks.
Dilbert was smart and gave up no personal details. uzi spends all his time tilting at a brick wall with him. I was stupid and let out my personal information.
i know lots about dilbert's personal life. we have written to one another a lot in PMs. as i said before, really the only difference here is that you take things far too personally and get far too emotional. me and dilbert can argue with one another all day but we still know it's a fucking internet forum and a discussion to pass the time. he's level-headed enough to not start threatening to shoot me with one of his practice revolvers.

you act like i know some particularly sensitive stuff about you and deploy it against you. not really. and if i did know something sensitive and hurtful, i wouldn't use it. i mention your personal details only insofar as they are badly, badly out of whack with your idealizations and professed beliefs. you are an ordinary humdrum hypocrite. you put on airs and pretenses. you claim to be some master thinker or whatever but you're merely self-deluding. everyone here can see it. it's why it's really funny when you say 'uzi can write well but he's not intelligent'. what does that make you? a poor writer and also doubly unintelligent?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:


Meanwhile Macbeth and Dilbert hold the line. We are no cucks.
Dilbert was smart and gave up no personal details. uzi spends all his time tilting at a brick wall with him. I was stupid and let out my personal information.
i know lots about dilbert's personal life. we have written to one another a lot in PMs. as i said before, really the only difference here is that you take things far too personally and get far too emotional. me and dilbert can argue with one another all day but we still know it's a fucking internet forum and a discussion to pass the time. he's level-headed enough to not start threatening to shoot me with one of his practice revolvers.

you act like i know some particularly sensitive stuff about you and deploy it against you. not really. and if i did know something sensitive and hurtful, i wouldn't use it. i mention your personal details only insofar as they are badly, badly out of whack with your idealizations and professed beliefs. you are an ordinary humdrum hypocrite. you put on airs and pretenses. you claim to be some master thinker or whatever but you're merely self-deluding. everyone here can see it. it's why it's really funny when you say 'uzi can write well but he's not intelligent'. what does that make you? a poor writer and also doubly unintelligent?
No, it makes me a poor communicator. Much of my frustration is that I am used to dealing with peers with a certain level of intelligence and baseline math skills. You simply can't keep up and it is frustrating to me.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+476|2880
hahahahaha

too used to the rarefied air of HVAC, jay? where the hegel discussions are more dialectical, the stats modelling more complex, the coronavirus commentary more incisive? i’m sure your air con peers are the veritable intelligentsia.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-06 10:22:25)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6137|England. Stoke
Omg that's amazing!
"baseline maths skills" Still waiting to see anything that can give credence to you're average 50,000 flu deaths a year, and 100,000 not being abnormal.

Last edited by coke (2020-05-06 10:27:44)

uziq
Member
+476|2880
jay, who has spent his entire time on here for the last year or so, since his right-wing dive into boastful ignorance, and who rails against experts, academics, scientists, in all their stripes and variations, is just frustrated because he is used to spending all his time around peers of superior intelligence.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

uziq wrote:

hahahahaha

too used to the rarefied air of HVAC, jay? where the hegel discussions are more dialectical, the stats modelling more complex, the coronavirus commentary more incisive? i’m sure your air con peers are the veritable intelligentsia.
Indeed. Engineers are of at least above average intelligence or they wouldn't be able to finish the program.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
Member
+94|1315

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

i flamed people, i can take a flaming. i don't know why you cast yourself in the role of 'divine retributor' when you threaten to kick my ass. it makes you look like an utter idiot.

those discussions were also a whole lot of shooting the shit and amusement over games. we are discussing covid-19 here now, discussing facts and real-world events. how is the history of bf2s even relevant? why would larssen, or anyone else, even give the faintest care?

you make some very bizarre posts.
You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
I think I've had pretty long back and forths after that about political activism that got him refusing to post any further. Don't worry on my behalf I'm not about to punch anyone.
uziq
Member
+476|2880

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

hahahahaha

too used to the rarefied air of HVAC, jay? where the hegel discussions are more dialectical, the stats modelling more complex, the coronavirus commentary more incisive? i’m sure your air con peers are the veritable intelligentsia.
Indeed. Engineers are of at least above average intelligence or they wouldn't be able to finish the program.
please. you went to a veteran's college that existed to rehabilitate soldiers after they'd been through the meat grinder.

stop making out like you passed from MIT or Rensselaer. dilbert shits on your basic comprehension of engineering almost every day.

in fact, i'm convinced that you're so stupid and so clueless that you don't even know what 'real' engineering courses consist of. the theoretical study of first principles, writing of a thesis, conducting of research. you did an imitation course to fast-track soldiers into civvy street. if you knew what a real academic course consisted of, you wouldn't constantly go on about how academia teaches people 'to be un-creative followers'.

you are dunning-kruger personified. so ignorant that you can't even comprehend it. you vastly over-rate yourself.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-06 10:38:28)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4786|London, England

Larssen wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

i flamed people, i can take a flaming. i don't know why you cast yourself in the role of 'divine retributor' when you threaten to kick my ass. it makes you look like an utter idiot.

those discussions were also a whole lot of shooting the shit and amusement over games. we are discussing covid-19 here now, discussing facts and real-world events. how is the history of bf2s even relevant? why would larssen, or anyone else, even give the faintest care?

you make some very bizarre posts.
You cowed larssen by writing one post about how he's from provincial Belgium and thus a racist and small minded and you won. He hasn't bothered you since because you managed to get under his skin and found the one thing that actually threatened his self image. You try to do this to everyone. It's why you had so many sycophants back in the day.
I think I've had pretty long back and forths after that about political activism that got him refusing to post any further. Don't worry on my behalf I'm not about to punch anyone.
That's good.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard