Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
No, I haven't uzique, I've been right from the start. I'm done arguing with you though. It's like talking to a brick wall.

I also no longer care. I'll be back to work on Monday, or the following Monday at the latest. People are outside walking around in packs. People no longer trust the media, or the government to do the right thing. They no longer trust people like you, and frankly, many of us would like to throw people like you off a roof right about now. I know you don't feel it, isolated in your intellectual bubble, but people fucking despise liberals like you for panicking. I want you to understand that. There's a very large segment of the population that would do you physical harm if you started voicing your opinion.

I'm predicting a Trump landslide.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-05 07:45:28)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
i don't care about the presidential election. you're welcome to elect who you want.

i predict another peak in june/july, if the country goes ahead and re-opens without states taking any initiative and disobeying trump.

If one person dies after a politician agrees to open up the economy, the image of that dead person will be weaponized by people like you, people that demand total safety in everything, for the rest of that politicians career.
nice try in trying to pre-empt criticism when the death rate inevitably increases again. it won't be one person though, will it? it will be 10,000s, if not more, all thrown into mass graves so that your political side could press ahead, not the other side. funny how you're already shifting on the issue so that it can be portrayed as 'democrat fear', 'democrats opportunistically blaming trump', 'unreasonable liberals unfairly blaming trump'.

the simple fact is that you have the worst outcome of any nation in the world already as a direct consequence of trump's actions (or lack thereof). and the nation will have the same debates and will be faced with the same choices all over again.

good luck.

There's a very large segment of the population that would do you physical harm if you started voicing your opinion.
weird how often your sort of person wants to resort to violence, isn't it? i thought you were the 'reasonable' side? Team Reason? against emotions and emotion-led behaviour? which was for women? odd. a sign of poor lower-class origins and frustrated incoherence, in any case.

btw, please do some reading on what vaccines are. the idea that any virus that mutates is pointless to develop vaccines for is laughably illiterate.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-05 08:53:45)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
There is no way in hell Trump wins in a landslide. You sound stupid when you say stuff like that. The Trump presidency is damn near irredeemable.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

There is no way in hell Trump wins in a landslide. You sound stupid when you say stuff like that. The Trump presidency is damn near irredeemable.
You're also probably not going to see another raise for a decade. Maybe a clawback even.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1886
Jay, yes certainly the quarantine has economic consequences for countless individuals. But covid-19 is literally killing people. I hope you understand which fate is worse.

What I find most ridiculous is that you've now shifted to say that people are taking action hence the virus spread isn't so bad at all because it'll never spread uncontrollably, or something. That action was government action. You opposed government doing anything from the very start.

You want to see how people's reflexes hold up to pandemic? Pick literally ANY pandemic in history. Best if you pick one with a similar mortality rate. Not your made up BS rate but the one we know now to be true: around 2%. Which by the way would go up significantly if there were too many sick people to treat, something you also keep ignoring.

I've made the point before but you have your head so far up your libertarian ass you are wholly incapable of approaching any problem with reason if the answer is anywhere close to government or organised action.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-05 09:20:56)

uziq
+492|3451
viruses do not spread exponentially. it's a lie. people self-organize and spontaneously adapt their behaviour about 2 weeks after realizing there's a virus lurking. just look at the swine flu epidemic of 2009. americans contained it easily.
Larssen
+99|1886
The point about exit strategy is also infuriatingly stupid. I know you've heard the phrase 'flatten the curve' a million times - you even quoted graphs on this shit - but then turn around to say 'there is no goal! There is no end! We're in vietnam!'. You are not just dense, but purposefully dense because you hate the implications of accepting that logic: that government action is necessary.

People like Fauci spend a great deal of time on national TV just to ensure the Jays of this world don't end up wantonly killing millions because $$$ > lives. Please just buy a shack on Antarctica and separate yourself from society to live out your self-made man fantasy, somewhere far away from the rest of civilisation.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-05 09:53:37)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Jay, yes certainly the quarantine has economic consequences for countless individuals. But covid-19 is literally killing people. I hope you understand which fate is worse.

What I find most ridiculous is that you've now shifted to say that people are taking action hence the virus spread isn't so bad at all because it'll never spread uncontrollably, or something. That action was government action. You opposed government doing anything from the very start.

You want to see how people's reflexes hold up to pandemic? Pick literally ANY pandemic in history. Best if you pick one with a similar mortality rate. Not your made up BS rate but the one we know now to be true: around 2%. Which by the way would go up significantly if there were too many sick people to treat, something you also keep ignoring.

I've made the point before but you have your head so far up your libertarian ass you are wholly incapable of approaching any problem with reason if the answer is anywhere close to government or organised action.
Sweden seems to have done pretty well, no? Did the government force them to shut down or did they say "hey, keep as much distance from each other as possible"? Education works, Larssen. This didn't require every Western government to suddenly outdo themselves trying to be as much like authoritarian China as possible. It got real stupid, real fast.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
sweden is doing the worst of all scandinavian countries. it has been specifically singled out by the european-level crisis response centre for its poor management of coronavirus, along with romania, poland, and the UK. it has a giant crisis in its care homes at present. many elderly people are dying (and not necessarily being reflected in official death figures).

where do you even get your news from?

want to know who did pretty well? those countries who have all but eradicated coronavirus, and which you keep conveniently ignoring. the pro-epidemiologist, pro-lockdown countries. where is your comment? you've mentioned sweden several times now, seemingly without the foggiest clue what you're talking about.

It got real stupid, real fast.
hahaha you're literally talking as if america's response has prevailed and the lockdown countries went through all that for nothing. they're the only countries who have done well, and you're literally doing the WORST in the world. hahaha oh my god.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-05 10:02:55)

Larssen
+99|1886
And even so Sweden's position was one of luxury, far trailing the worst hit countries in daily case numbers. Its population density (even in cities) also being much lower, nowhere near comparable to say New York.

The total quarantines were blunt policy instruments only used because the situation had already spiralled out of control. It's all you can do if it is projected cases will imminently overrun your hospitals. You have tens of thousands of dead in New York alone to prove that point.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-05 10:04:23)

Larssen
+99|1886
If this were soviet times Jay would've argued NOT to evacuate pripyat. Rebuild that reactor, there's money to be made. How many people die from cancer anyway.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

And even so Sweden's position was one of luxury, far trailing the worst hit countries in daily case numbers. Its population density (even in cities) also being much lower, nowhere near comparable to say New York.

The total quarantines were blunt policy instruments only used because the situation had already spiralled out of control. It's all you can do if it is projected cases will imminently overrun your hospitals. You have tens of thousands of dead in New York alone to prove that point.
I think it's pretty safe to say that both you and uzique have led incredibly soft and danger-free lives if you think a 0.1% chance at dying from a disease is something to get worked up about and worth panicking over. I feel sorry for both of you.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

If this were soviet times Jay would've argued NOT to evacuate pripyat. Rebuild that reactor, there's money to be made. How many people die from cancer anyway.
You're talking like those buffoons making the "not one death" claims. Why not shut down the economy every flu season? Tens of thousands, and up to a million people die every year from the flu. How many automobile accident deaths have been averted because of the shutdown? This must be a glorious time for you. Safety, safety at last! I bet you were a regulator in your government functionary position. You have that mentality that thinks people should be manipulated and controlled. You're a complete waste of breath.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-05 10:10:27)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

I think it's pretty safe to say that both you and uzique have led incredibly soft and danger-free lives if you think a 0.1% chance at dying from a disease is something to get worked up about and worth panicking over. I feel sorry for both of you.
the current death rate is nearer to 2% globally.

can you stop fudging basic details? it doesn't help.

i've already said many times that i approve of the measures not because of the threat to myself, but because of the threat to my relatives, elderly and otherwise. i'm happy to lockdown for the sake of the health service and for others. it's not an alien and strange concept in europe.

not panicking, nope.

your talk would be very different if you had become more severely ill. everyone here knows it. you think like a weathervane.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-05 10:18:27)

Larssen
+99|1886
Have you been sniffing the alt-right glue again? 'Soft life'? Is this the 'liberals are feminine' argument? For all you know I'm that 7ft boulder crushing giant you imagined Dilbert to be Jay, but let's move on from this. I have no interest in your childlike demeanor and my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad argument.

I can't speak for the US but over here healthcare is considered an essential service. Let's just forget human cost for a minute - the annihilation of that service by way of covid-19 would not only destroy what people consider a basic right, it would bankrupt an entire industry.

Now let's consider human cost. When people read the stats on world war 2 or visit the graves/monuments/camps and such here they're often left speechless by the sheer amount of people that were pushed through the meatgrinder. For many European countries the death toll of unrestrained covid-19 would exceed the number of dead in all 6 years of WW2, both as a percentage of population and in totals, often by far. In less than a year.

How you can think of that as acceptable is beyond me.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-05 10:20:47)

uziq
+492|3451
jay's the sort of guy who would get weepy and sentimental at this place:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikinews/en/thumb/9/91/East_Wall_Vietnam_Memorial_VDay.jpg/350px-East_Wall_Vietnam_Memorial_VDay.jpg

but thinks nothing about that many people dying from covid-19 in 4 months.

he doesn't care about frontline medical workers dying. the loss of experience and knowledge that it represents when heart surgeons, senior consultants, ICU nurses etc. contract a disease and die. what sort of damage is incurred when they die, and a loss of public investment (to be coldly economic about it).

in his hierarchy the 'heroes' of public service who 'put their lives on the line' are, of course, soldiers, police (who are pussies!), firefighters. no health workers. to say nothing of poor public service workers, train and bus drivers, etc. who are disproportionately dying in droves (the poor asked for it! they breed too much and are stupid!) convenient, isn't it?

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-05 10:25:35)

uziq
+492|3451
The White House is reportedly looking to wind down the coronavirus task force in the coming weeks, even as the rate of new coronavirus infections continue to rise in most of the country.

The New York Times reports:

A top adviser to Vice President Mike Pence who has helped oversee the task force, Olivia Troye, has told senior officials involved in the task force to expect the group to wind down within weeks, a notice echoed by other top White House officials. While the task force met Tuesday at the White House, Monday’s meeting was canceled, and a Saturday session, a staple of recent months, was never held. ...

A senior administration official, speaking on the condition of anonymity in order to discuss internal deliberations, said the task force will be winding down as the White House moves toward Phase One of Mr. Trump’s plan to ‘open up’ the country. The focus now will be on therapeutics, vaccine development and testing, the official said. ...

A group led by Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, has been functioning as something of a shadow task force. That group is likely to continue working; among other issues, Mr. Kushner is said to be discussing a new role for someone to oversee development of therapeutic treatments.

The report comes as the US coronavirus death toll surpassed 70,000, with one projection warning the country’s daily death toll could reach 3,000 by June 1 if social distancing restrictions are relaxed too quickly.

The news also comes just hours after the Washington Post reported one volunteer for Kushner’s coronavirus response effort was so alarmed by the team’s mismanagement that the person filed a complaint with the House oversight committee.
trump has lost interest. the disinfectant comments were too much egg on his face. it played badly with polls. he's moving on from coronavirus.

maybe it'll just disappear. a miracle!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Have you been sniffing the alt-right glue again? 'Soft life'? Is this the 'liberals are feminine' argument? For all you know I'm that 7ft boulder crushing giant you imagined Dilbert to be Jay, but let's move on from this. I have no interest in your childlike demeanor and my-dad-can-beat-up-your-dad argument.

I can't speak for the US but over here healthcare is considered an essential service. Let's just forget human cost for a minute - the annihilation of that service by way of covid-19 would not only destroy what people consider a basic right, it would bankrupt an entire industry.

Now let's consider human cost. When people read the stats on world war 2 or visit the graves/monuments/camps and such here they're often left speechless by the sheer amount of people that were pushed through the meatgrinder. For many European countries the death toll of unrestrained covid-19 would exceed the number of dead in all 6 years of WW2, both as a percentage of population and in totals, often by far. In less than a year.

How you can think of that as acceptable is beyond me.
Except it wouldn't and that's what I've been trying to drill into your thick skull. The initial projections were wildly pessimistic. Everything that has come after has shown that the mortality rate experienced by Germany and South Korea is the norm, not the exception. For those countries with high death totals, such as the US, the mortality rate is constant, but the total number of infected is the variable. The disease is already widespread here, to the point that at least 25% of New York City, and 20%+ of the surrounding areas have already been infected. And if you haven't been paying attention, coronavirus has only been one component in the vast majority of these deaths. Co-mortalities are just as important. You and you're "not one death" mantra, well, many of these people didn't have all that much longer to live anyway. That is the harsh reality.

I'm sure your national health service would tell you that extending the life of an 80 year old from 80 to 80.5, if it cost ten million dollars, would not be worth it from a societal standpoint. There are in fact values placed on human life by every health service. You are willing to pay any cost to save a life, well you are in fact sacrificing other peoples lives. You are asking the young and healthy to sacrifice their life in order to save the old and the sick. Seems rather selfish on the part of the old and unhealthy, now doesn't it? You probably think that you're being altruistic with your own life, but you're just being foolish.
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1886
No actually we're not trying to treat people above a certain age or who are already in bad health. The doctors here can make that call and reserve attention and treatment for people who are younger or who need it more urgently.

I don't know where you get this idea that 'the death rates in SK and Germany are the norm'. You are nitpicking the two countries who were most prepared and most able to deal with the pandemic, whose population also is very keen to listen to government directives and who have no trouble following social distancing guidelines. As you may have noticed by the examples of China, Italy, Spain or anywhere else case numbers exceeded treatment capacity, death rates quickly increased. If a rather significant portion of the infected end up in ICUs needing breathing assistance, you're going to have a problem if you don't have enough ventilators.

I don't understand how for 100+ pages you constantly need to be reminded of context, relevant details, extrapolating numbers to the real world. I'm not the thick one here, Jay. At the start of this pandemic you followed the Fox News line of thinking. That line of thinking has shifted, something you don't even notice or acknowledge, but still holds on to the notion that it's all just a load of BS.

20% of the population in NY MIGHT have it or have had it. That's still a tiny speck on the population of the US. Do yourself a favour and project the NY numbers on the entire US, even in the most optimistic estimate, and you'll still wind up with far too many dead. Wasn't it also stated federal stockpiles are only 45000 ventilators for the entire US too? Good luck treating over tenfold that number in ICUs.

Also I'm quite certain epidemiological models have projected 'worst case' 'best case' and 'likely' scenarios, which is also most likely constantly revised. They don't just make 1 estimate and say 'DONE!'.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-05 12:50:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

uziq wrote:

not panicking, nope.
On that, the same people who are accusing epidemiologists ("#*& the epidemiologists!"), virologists, and those in support of lockdowns of panicking are in fact themselves panicking.

"We're moving to a police state over a little flu! 90% of citizens are effectively prisoners now! AAAAH!"

"The economy!" As if doing nothing and letting a novel respiratory virus run its natural course unabated wouldn't have been rugged hell on the economy.

"We don't want your government handouts" out-of-work libertarians and otherwise puff their chests and proudly proclaim, while big businesses have no such reservations about claiming. In other arguments, some of these very same businesses are staunchly defended for being 'self-made success stories.'

Sunny weekend in New York City raises social-distancing enforcement concerns 5/4
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sunny … 2020-05-04

https://ei.marketwatch.com/Multimedia/2020/05/04/Photos/ZG/MW-IF805_city_d_20200504183751_ZG.jpg?uuid=e3a2a4da-8e57-11ea-966e-9c8e992d421e

New Yorkers flocked to parks and outdoor spaces this past weekend as the mercury topped 70 degrees Fahrenheit in the city, but the crowds raise serious questions about how officials will enforce stay-at-home orders for weeks to come.
"I thought this was America!"

US infection rate rising outside New York as states open up 5/5
https://www.kansascity.com/entertainmen … 04221.html

https://www.mcclatchy-wires.com/incoming/2ksavj/picture242500671/alternates/LANDSCAPE_1140/APTOPIX_Virus_Outbreak_Mexico_68284.jpg

Take the New York metropolitan area’s progress against the coronavirus out of the equation and the numbers show the rest of the U.S. is moving in the wrong direction, with the infection rate rising even as states move to lift their lockdowns, an Associated Press analysis found Tuesday.

Scientists warn those numbers will only grow as governors and local officials across the country ease their stay-at-home restrictions and reopen businesses.

Meanwhile, Britain’s official coronavirus death toll, at more than 29,000, surpassed that of Italy to become the highest in Europe and second-highest in the world behind the United States.

In the U.S., some states took continued steps to lift the lockdown restrictions that have thrown millions out of work, even as the country recorded thousands of new infections and deaths every day. Public health experts warned the easing could result in tens of thousands of additional deaths.
New Jersey Schools Closed Rest of Academic Year; New York on Brink of 20,000 Deaths 5/5
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/w … k/2400767/

States across the country have kickstarted their reopenings in the face of much uncertainty; to date, the virus has killed nearly 70,000 people in the U.S. and infected at least 1.1 million people
NYPD are wearing black bands across their badges. But they're just a bunch of larping goofs who could easily be killed with a hand grenade, boasts Jay smugly, who way back at the start of this thread uttered such garbage as "you must be loving this," spending much of the rest in denial, getting sick himself (still happy for him that he didn't, afaik, lose immediate family despite the likely fact ("die in a fire") that he'd probably be overjoyed if some of us lost ours), raging out, then returning once more in reinforced denial.

@jay: I didn't know that police in New York City were under threat of regular hand grenade attacks. You should email them about your concern as a hardened combat veteran. How you could have easily killed them.

New Studies Add to Evidence that Children May Transmit the Coronavirus - Experts said the new data suggest that cases could soar in many U.S. communities if schools reopen soon. 5/5
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/heal … chool.html

"Mountains out of molehills. Just a bunch of quivering cowards. We need to reopen schools before the end of the academic year to save face or whatever. Here, read an article comparing this to a flu from the 60s, and another comparing it to mad cow disease. From a real libertarian source, not some silly news publication or fake news from conniving college scientists."
uziq
+492|3451
it's going to be fun watching jay slowly unravel and cavil and do his usual mental gymnastics (if such a lumbering intelligence can be called 'gymnastic').
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Don't have to do any sort of gymnastics if you just walk around the problem.

Potentially positive development from fake scientists crying wolf from their silly colleges:

A human monoclonal antibody blocking SARS-CoV-2 infection 5/4
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-16256-y

tl;dr

Scientists Have Discovered An Antibody That Stops Coronavirus From Infecting Cells 5/4
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m … ing-cells/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

No actually we're not trying to treat people above a certain age or who are already in bad health. The doctors here can make that call and reserve attention and treatment for people who are younger or who need it more urgently.

I don't know where you get this idea that 'the death rates in SK and Germany are the norm'. You are nitpicking the two countries who were most prepared and most able to deal with the pandemic, whose population also is very keen to listen to government directives and who have no trouble following social distancing guidelines. As you may have noticed by the examples of China, Italy, Spain or anywhere else case numbers exceeded treatment capacity, death rates quickly increased. If a rather significant portion of the infected end up in ICUs needing breathing assistance, you're going to have a problem if you don't have enough ventilators.

I don't understand how for 100+ pages you constantly need to be reminded of context, relevant details, extrapolating numbers to the real world. I'm not the thick one here, Jay. At the start of this pandemic you followed the Fox News line of thinking. That line of thinking has shifted, something you don't even notice or acknowledge, but still holds on to the notion that it's all just a load of BS.

20% of the population in NY MIGHT have it or have had it. That's still a tiny speck on the population of the US. Do yourself a favour and project the NY numbers on the entire US, even in the most optimistic estimate, and you'll still wind up with far too many dead. Wasn't it also stated federal stockpiles are only 45000 ventilators for the entire US too? Good luck treating over tenfold that number in ICUs.

Also I'm quite certain epidemiological models have projected 'worst case' 'best case' and 'likely' scenarios, which is also most likely constantly revised. They don't just make 1 estimate and say 'DONE!'.
I think it's fairly safe to say that the only thing we have to learn from each other is further contempt. You have reinforced the heavy aversion I have for technocracy, and made me very happy that my grandparents chose to leave Europe behind. I suppose I should thank you.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

it's going to be fun watching jay slowly unravel and cavil and do his usual mental gymnastics (if such a lumbering intelligence can be called 'gymnastic').
What gymnastics? I fully accept that more people will get sick and die. There is literally nothing realistic that could be done to prevent it at this point. The best we could do was buy some time until additional hospital space was made available and PPE became more widespread. Now they've added additional testing to the mix as well. Would've been nice if it was available six weeks ago, but that ship sailed.

A further quarantine is pointless. The virus isn't going away. People are already ignoring it and going about their day and treating the orders with contempt. Your breezy talk of 18 months in quarantine waiting on a vaccine was never even a remote possibility. People are antsy, and politicians are politicians. They're going to do what the majority wants, and the majority wants to get on with their life, sickness be damned. Even the nurse that drew my blood for antibodies said she wished that she had a positive test so she could get on with her life.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-05 14:05:24)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3451
100 pages in and you still don't see the point of lockdown or understand viral spread rates.

if lockdown can keep the r0 factor at a low rate, then sure, society will reopen in dribs and drabs, in a limited way according to hospital numbers.

this is a very risky strategy but it's the best one we've got. suppression until a vaccine.

opening back up again to normal will again be inviting disaster. your little imagined stat 'that most people have had it already' is quaint, but wrong.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard