unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

The 1911 is like a gateway gun for American collectors. Especially gamers getting into it. Stated before, but personally prefer a hammerless .38. Preferably without any pretentious etchings of anything but stock expectations. I hate this kind of commemorative or personalized crap on a gun and despise stuff that gives it a toy-like quality.

The " runs up against other visual elements. Kind of harsh to look at from a design perspective. The etching is too large/garish overall, and does not at all fit with the shape and aesthetics.

That said, most of my time spent with guns in 2020 is that World of Guns disassembly game. I wish some of the models broke completely down and that some of the springs made more sense, but it's still kind of fun to play around with.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/84nxUt9YAIg/maxresdefault.jpg
sweet
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The 1911 is like a gateway gun for American collectors. Especially gamers getting into it. Stated before, but personally prefer a hammerless .38. Preferably without any pretentious etchings of anything but stock expectations. I hate this kind of commemorative or personalized crap on a gun and despise stuff that gives it a toy-like quality.

The " runs up against other visual elements. Kind of harsh to look at from a design perspective. The etching is too large/garish overall, and does not at all fit with the shape and aesthetics.

That said, most of my time spent with guns in 2020 is that World of Guns disassembly game. I wish some of the models broke completely down and that some of the springs made more sense, but it's still kind of fun to play around with.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/84nxUt9YAIg/maxresdefault.jpg
sweet
Do companies upload their guns to World of Guns? Like if I wanted to get a glock whatever, would I be able to familiarize myself with the different parts of it before I take the real thing apart?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3448
seems like a great way to lose your intellectual property to unscrupulous rivals outside of your jurisdiction.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
There's a new guy at work and his last name is Dickensheets
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
Is he Jewish? /s
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Do companies upload their guns to World of Guns? Like if I wanted to get a glock whatever, would I be able to familiarize myself with the different parts of it before I take the real thing apart?

uziq wrote:

seems like a great way to lose your intellectual property to unscrupulous rivals outside of your jurisdiction.
I'm not actually sure how they go about things on the legal side. Some of the guns on there are fairly recent, but others are freaking ancient or nearly impossible to find.

I think the cat's probably already out of the bag on knockoff gun models. Anyway, you can pretty much already download the schematics to any of that separately. Gun owners still have to maintain their stuff, and don't know how to reassemble like Forrest Gump.

Maybe it's somewhat how this article goes:

Why It’s So Hard to Stop Marketing Guns in Video Games
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ … ns/596296/

For decades, game companies entered into long-lasting and mutually beneficial licensing deals with gun manufacturers. If a game wanted to use a recognizable, trademarked design or a brand name of gun, it would need permission. The same was true for vehicles, recognizable landmarks, or other kinds of weapons.

A single game could have hundreds of such licenses, one lawyer whose firm offers legal counsel to video-game companies told me. (The lawyer requested anonymity because of worries that speaking publicly would jeopardize business relationships.) In exchange for the use of their intellectual property, manufacturers would stipulate that the weapons in the games be portrayed realistically and positively. Money rarely changed hands, but the relationship was symbiotic: Game companies got verisimilitude from featuring trademarked guns; gun manufacturers got easy, free exposure, on their terms.
"Portrayed realistically" does elicit a sharp HA for some games, doesn't it.
Larssen
+99|1883
I'm moving again and the amount of documentation and guarantees landlords ask you to provide is stressing me out. I have to move before the end of the month too so not a lot of time to get everything sorted.

Funny thing is they know and can see in my employment history that I have a pretty hefty legal background too and these landlords still try to bend the law or make me do stuff that's at best shady as shit (like egging me on to sign on guarantees referring to a contract that I have not yet seen and has not yet been produced).

Of course I won't but really I'm a little disappointed I have to ask them nicely to set up the contract first with X and Y details, rather than deservedly angrily letting them know this is not how things should be done. Imagine how many get duped by this shit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

If it's still like that in the EU, multiply that 100x+ over for US tenants.
Larssen
+99|1883
Yes I've heard that some places in the US you even have co op boards that you have to interview with and write a motivation letter for just to be able to apply to live somewhere... that's even worse. But it's getting similarly ridiculous here in some major cities and I won't be surprised if that gets exported too at some point. Just the income barrier is already stupendous: my yearly gross salary had to be 55x the monthly rent. It's a nice place and all but still.

I'm also concerned by just how much personal data they're gathering. I might have to look into data protection and information security regulations for the housing market as a next project...
uziq
+492|3448
if your annual income is 55x the monthly rent, why the fuck aren’t you buying a house?

so every year that you rent in that country, you have the equivalent of 43x rent installments leftover in your back pocket? and you can’t put that money towards a deposit?

the barrier is hardly ‘stupendous’ but i’m surprised that people rent for long-term if they have to establish how financially comfortable they are. you could save a deposit in like 3 to 5 years.

e: just realised you said gross but still.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-12 01:21:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Depends, across the richer parts of Europe renting is far cheaper than owning, many people can only afford to buy if they take out a long mortgage.
50-100 years is common for a mortgage in Switzerland.

Larssen is clearly a hedonistic YOLO type so he's spending his money while he's alive, or planning to live cheap while young and retire early.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
you think every young person can’t afford a house because of hedonism and irresponsibility. that’s because you get your worldview from a tabloid.
Larssen
+99|1883
Gross income, not net. Net it is about 30%, which is very cheap for single occupancy in the centre of a big city in Europe. I have plenty left to save so there's no risk whatsoever. Yet the landlord still demands 2 months bond payment and extra financial guarantees, alongside all sorts of documentation of course on salary, work contract, place of employment etc.

I can provide all that and it's cheap for me so no problem I'll put up with it. But it's actually shocking that this is considered normal. The worst is the fucking rental agent in between though. They're not just 'working for the landlord' but actively trying to prevent/dissuade me from doing due diligence every step of the way. When I make suggestions for the contract they'll immediately retort it's unnecessary and covered by law. No motherfucker it's not.

I'm waiting to see what's in the contract and we'll smooth it out to my liking but the agent can get fucked.

Between moving, work deadlines, a dating mishap with a crazy woman I'm stressed as hell. Actually sleeping less and punched a wall this morning out of frustration. Gah

E: the reason I'm not buying yet is because I might move again soon. I'll consider it in another 2 years.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-12 01:31:03)

uziq
+492|3448
none of that sounds particularly invasive or restrictive? of course landlords want proof of your income and a legitimate workplace? it’s not uncommon for them to want to know what you do either, to place you in a milieu and make sure they’re not inviting the circus around to trash their place.

i am really not in support of landlordism or the rentier class, especially the type that snapped up public housing stock with cheap loans/buy offs in the 80s and have contributed nothing since ... but basic precautions in a renting agreement do make sense. in return, you should expect to be able to ask equally as much of them.

rental agents can get fucked, no question. a law was recently introduced here that stopped them introducing exorbitant fees as the middle-man. £300 or £750 or whatever for photocopying a few sheets and making a phone call on a renters’ behalf to confirm the lease. fuck offfff.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

you think every young person can’t afford a house because of hedonism and irresponsibility. that’s because you get your worldview from a tabloid.
Larssen clearly can yet he chooses not to. Unless he plants to live to 150 it may well be the right decision.
Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

none of that sounds particularly invasive or restrictive? of course landlords want proof of your income and a legitimate workplace? it’s not uncommon for them to want to know what you do either, to place you in a milieu and make sure they’re not inviting the circus around to trash their place.

i am really not in support of landlordism or the rentier class, especially the type that snapped up public housing stock with cheap loans/buy offs in the 80s and have contributed nothing since ... but basic precautions in a renting agreement do make sense. in return, you should expect to be able to ask equally as much of them.

rental agents can get fucked, no question. a law was recently introduced here that stopped them introducing exorbitant fees as the middle-man. £300 or £750 or whatever for photocopying a few sheets and making a phone call on a renters’ behalf to confirm the lease. fuck offfff.
It's less the restrictiveness on me than the reflection on the state of the market. I'm in the top income bracket for my age group and I barely pass that 55x gross yearly requirement. Average people are getting pushed out the market due to impossible demands and subjected to very expensive rents when they are able to find something.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-12 01:35:00)

uziq
+492|3448
i still don’t understand why you aren’t saving for a deposit?

living single-occupancy in a city centre and then complaining about barely making the 55x limit is a no-brainer. then share a 2-bedroom apartment? move to a hipster neighbourhood 1.5km away that isn’t in the financial or diplomatic district? not sure what to say to you. renting single-occupancy seems like a good way to waste a lot of money and isn’t designed ‘for you’ if you can barely make the financial limits.

i’ve always taken it as an article of good financial planning that you shouldn’t spend more than 30-40% of your income (net) on rent and overheads. i’m guessing living alone in a city centre after rent, taxes, utilities etc is going to cost you close to 2000 EUR a month.

if you can’t already comfortably afford it, that’s a lot of money you could be saving towards getting out of the rent grind.

does the logic really work so differently in the EU to the U.K.? you’ve spoken before, if i recall correctly, how ‘impossible’ it is to save 20 or 30k. sounds like you’re living beyond your means?

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-12 01:40:29)

Larssen
+99|1883
I don't think I did say that? I am spending 30% on rent here and maybe 35% on that + utilities. I keep an excel sheet with all my expenditures. If I want to I can comfortably set aside 1k a month with that spending pattern.

I've moved around a lot for work, you think I'll find roommates everywhere? Besides, lived with roommates long enough, it's nice to come home to your own place.

The point is that these demands aren't outlandish. If I'm in the top 10% income wise how is the other 90% doing? Do they have to live in periphery towns with 2 hours commute? That's a good way to become unhappy. What about their prospects in buying, where demands are even more stringent than renting?

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-12 01:48:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

They can and do just go to a shop to buy one.

Making guns is easy and most IP protection lapsed half a century ago. The most advanced gun in the USAF arsenal was developed 60 years ago, the Russians have better ones anyway.
The only barriers are metallurgy and tooling costs and they're not hard. Last week I visited an old guy who had a rifled barrel-making facility in his shed.

Advanced missiles etc are different, unfortunately we've already built the factories for them to build all the complex electronic parts.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-12 01:55:24)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

I don't think I did say that? I am spending 30% on rent here and maybe 35% on that + utilities. I keep an excel sheet with all my expenditures. If I want to I can comfortably set aside 1k a month with that spending pattern.
At that rate if you're serious about buying a house you're probably going backwards unfortunately.

So 35% includes utilities? I'm guessing you're one of those people who turns the heating on.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-01-12 02:13:27)

uziq
+492|3448
it was in a discussion about how unaffordable the housing ladder was for our generation (i was agreeing with you).

and, er, yes, 90% of people don't live single-occupancy in city centres? that's one of the most expensive ways to live possible? what are you even saying? 'it's outrageous, how are most of the world coping if they can't live alone in a spacious apartment within walking distance of a major city's amenities?' LOL. yes, indeed. i thought you understood ein volk and the little people?

lots of people don't enjoy commuting for hours every day and 'quickly become unhappy': the majority of them. they don't do it out of preference and to snub the city-centre apartments. that way of living isn't an option for the majority of people. does this have to be explained to you?

i mean, there's something slightly inane and tautological about what you're saying. "i'm in the top 10% of earners and these luxury city-centre apartments are really hard to rent! what are the 90% doing?" you're already at a significant advantage with your earning and saving power.

Last edited by uziq (2021-01-12 02:15:47)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He's highlighting that housing is unaffordable, nurses etc can do without a 2hr commute, is bad for the city.
uziq
+492|3448
city centres have been that way for about 20 years, though. especially if you're in the market for a nice apartment.

plenty of nurses live in city centres, but they don't live alone in luxury developments. this isn't that complicated.
Larssen
+99|1883

uziq wrote:

it was in a discussion about how unaffordable the housing ladder was for our generation (i was agreeing with you).

and, er, yes, 90% of people don't live single-occupancy in city centres? that's one of the most expensive ways to live possible? what are you even saying? 'it's outrageous, how are most of the world coping if they can't live alone in a spacious apartment within walking distance of a major city's amenities?' LOL. yes, indeed. i thought you understood ein volk and the little people?

lots of people don't enjoy commuting for hours every day and 'quickly become unhappy': the majority of them. they don't do it out of preference and to snub the city-centre apartments. that way of living isn't an option for the majority of people. does this have to be explained to you?

i mean, there's something slightly inane and tautological about what you're saying. "i'm in the top 10% of earners and these luxury city-centre apartments are really hard to rent! what are the 90% doing?" you're already at a significant advantage with your earning and saving power.
Alright the tone may have come across ivory tower but that's not the point here. First: you're wrong. The trend over the years has been an increase in single occupancy, not a decrease. You no longer move in with a spouse at 20 and stay there till you're 80 and you can't expect people after a certain age to still live with roommates. People increasingly live alone.

Second, the appartment I'll sign the contract for is not even exorbitantly expensive. It's actually rather cheap, but with very steep requirements. The rental prices do not drop very significantly on the outskirts of the city. Whatever the case the cost would be prohibitive for the average income across ALL age groups. This means your average guy or girl who earns just a little more than social housing criteria, but not enough for the upper echelons of the rental market, faces extreme competition over a scarcity of supply that is already unaffordable and probably has requirements that are too high or which have a stranglehold over you. They would spend up to 60% on all their monthly fixed costs (rent+utilities+insurances+subscriptions) and have very little wiggle room for food, clothing, nevermind savings. It's terrible.

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-12 02:33:39)

uziq
+492|3448
something doesn't add up in your picture.

'single-occupancy is increasing but nobody in the bottom 90% can make the renting requirements'.

???

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard