KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I get hit with that for doing laundry properly sometimes. Imagining separating the whites from colors, colds from hots, and hang/flat drying what needs to be because you want to keep your clothing looking as good as it can for as long as possible. I guess taking a suit to a dry cleaner or tailor is gay too, or getting your hair cut for anything over five bucks or outside of a men's specific barber.

At some level, people need to analyze their own insecurities.
i was unaware some people do not separate their clothes for washing until a few years ago. Is it also weird to count out the number of articles of clothing in each load? Because I do that too...
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
I haven't separated light and dark in ages outside of dress clothes and it hasn't affected shirts I'm trying to kill the life of so..
I don't count anything I throw in as much as I can
I don't fold anything besides pants, socks and underwear get thrown into a drawer, shirts get hung or now thrown onto a pile because no one will see the creases anyway
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3445
i bought a very fancy large steamer about a year or so back and it saves a lot of my clothes from the laundry (with the obvious caveat that i don't live in an extreme climate and i'm not doing hard physical labour). most shirts can be thoroughly steamed and hung back up after a day of wearing them. greatly extends the life of your clothes and saves on just about everything.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
I have like 30 tshirts and am trying to wear out the old ones, 6+ years old. And they just arent. Using them for working out and at work under sweatshirt v0v
Washing clothes right now. Put some tide in and threw em all in without a care.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It was the first time I've ever heard of pajamas being gay.
Republicans started hating pajamas after this ad they saw.
https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/15e528d/2147483647/resize/1160x%3E/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fs3-origin-images.politico.com%2F2013%2F12%2F18%2F131218_lowry_pajamaboy.jpg
Pajama Boy’s place in Internet infamy was secured as soon as the insufferable man-child was tweeted out by Organizing for America.

He is the face of a web ad that is the latest effort by the Obama team to leverage the holidays for conversation about Obamacare. “Wear pajamas,” the ad reads. “Drink hot chocolate. Talk about getting health insurance. #GetTalking.”

And, sure enough, Pajama Boy is wearing pajamas—a zip-up onesie in classic Lamar Alexander plaid—and drinking hot chocolate. He is in his twenties, sporting hipster glasses he could have bought at Warby Parker and an expression of self-satisfied ironic amusement.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story … ild-101304

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-12-21 18:03:46)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I get hit with that for doing laundry properly sometimes. Imagining separating the whites from colors, colds from hots, and hang/flat drying what needs to be because you want to keep your clothing looking as good as it can for as long as possible. I guess taking a suit to a dry cleaner or tailor is gay too, or getting your hair cut for anything over five bucks or outside of a men's specific barber.

At some level, people need to analyze their own insecurities.
What is gay is not filling the tumble-dryer - if its not full its horribly inefficient, the air just blows around the clothes not through them.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i was unaware some people do not separate their clothes for washing until a few years ago. Is it also weird to count out the number of articles of clothing in each load? Because I do that too...
Everything goes in together, makes no difference at all.

Also apparently my dress style has a name - business dorky. I like it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I can't do that, the colors and materials vary too much and they will become visibly marred/pilled/dingy over time. I also need a new dryer. The drum's cracked and the control panel is on the fritz. I can set it for an hour on low and then a bit more after to finish off laundry loads. Machine's over half my age though, I think, along with the washer.

Might've even mentioned it before. I seem to recall talking about the washer door that can't be flipped to open to the right. |_ |_  … just no. Water heater's kind of dinky for a cylindrical but it gets the job done, I suppose. That at least can wait.

I will say that the disapproving specter of my midwestern grandmother is not an insignificant motivator do doing it correctly. She had a whole system including repairs, and I'm like at the 10% mark overall if I'm being generous with myself.
uziq
+492|3445

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Everything goes in together, makes no difference at all.

Also apparently my dress style has a name - business dorky. I like it.
different clothes require different temperatures, not just by colour but also by material. do you not have cottons? linen? delicates? i shudder at the thought of nuking all my expensive clothes together at 40 degrees or whatever your chosen standard temperature is. if the colours don't run then at the very least they'll start fading.

i know living at home has its comforts but shouldn't you learn how to do the laundry?

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-22 08:08:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Used to do a lot of that three-second ninja fold for my shirts that was popular on the internet some years back. Plastic folding board now. Works better for at least the tees. Consistent shape!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Separate the color clothes from the White clothes. Color clothes get cold water wash. White clothes get hot water, and added bleach. Do you guys add bleach to your white clothes?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
I avoid white clothes
uziq
+492|3445
no but i do apply local stain-remover/dirt lifter if white clothes have any marks on them, including armpit discolouration, etc.

and yep, i tend to wash everything colder than recommended. the norm of blasting everything on 30 or 40 degree wash is wasteful on just about every level, and wears your clothes out for no reason.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

I haven't used bleach in years. If something has a tough stain I'll use some spot remover before throwing it in. I dont own a lot of whites to be honest.

Newbie, my washer is on the right and opens from the right. My dryer is on the left and opens from the right. No ability to switch the hinges. Annoying

Vinegar works well for armpit discoloration too.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i shudder at the thought of nuking all my expensive clothes
I don't have expensive clothes
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America

RTHKI wrote:

I avoid white clothes
Get yourself a nice, white shirt to go with some blue pants and look like a goddamn snack. I do have blue eyes to complement that, but I don't think I've ever gotten more compliments from an outfit.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

yeah but do you wash your dress shirts in the washer/dryer? That's a no from me, dog.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
black tanktop > all
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

Ok vin diesel
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6730|Oxferd Ohire
I don't own any tanktops
uziq
+492|3445

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

i shudder at the thought of nuking all my expensive clothes
I don't have expensive clothes
so you buy cheap, disposable clothes, likely made by children with fingers missing in absolute grinding poverty, and wear them out extra fast with unnecessary and destructive washing?

i thought you were the consumer conscience of the world?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My clothes last pretty well, 5+ years, then they get repurposed for home work and shooting, and a lot of them come from charity shops when they would otherwise have been thrown away. If I could buy local I would.
And fashion isn't an issue so I don't just bin them for that reason.
I think my clothes lifecycle is beyond reproach.
uziq
+492|3445
i’ll give you a pass just so i can stop thinking about your pale ginger freckled torso.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I haven't used bleach in years. If something has a tough stain I'll use some spot remover before throwing it in. I dont own a lot of whites to be honest.

Newbie, my washer is on the right and opens from the right. My dryer is on the left and opens from the right. No ability to switch the hinges. Annoying

Vinegar works well for armpit discoloration too.
Doors like that are a FWP bane of my existence. Front loaders are nice because you don't have to bend over all the time, but man.

Re: methods and dilbert's dingy "business nerdy" wardrobe

Always colder than recommended unless "only" is in care instructions. Sanitizer additive. Spot treatment if necessary. Never hot unless I know everything in a load recommends it. Mesh bags for socks and fragile materials. Hang dry if spin mostly dry. Low heat on dryer if any. It doesn't take that long to follow instructions, and the more you do it the less you need to check tags.

Knowing how to do laundry properly seems like an older "you've gotta be gay" phobia than recently. I know boomers who will throw everything including the bathroom rug into the wash, probably much to the consternation of their boomer wives who end up cleaning up the aftermath. I don't know where they picked that up from. Greatest generation guys in my family maybe didn't normally do the laundry (old fashioned wife's job, or wife wouldn't let them help) but could at least follow simple directions and do a passible job.

Other thoughts: I've always felt that someone with good money shopping for clothes at 2nd hand stores and places like Goodwill or St Vincent de Paul are unnecessarily robbing nice finds from poorer people who could actually use it. Puts me in mind of a rich man eating out of a soup kitchen.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Charity shops usually give clothes to the needy, me buying stuff pays for that and pays for what the charity does.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard