uziq
+492|3449
i think we've all quit and came back several times over the years. i was away for a few years before lapsing back.

there's a very specific itch to forums that you just can't scratch from social media (not that i use any anymore) or reddit.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-18 14:19:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

every professional sport is just a business, it's sort of in the name. if rugby had an opportunity for the viewership/audience of football, it wouldn't be any different in terms of culture, as much as tedious rugby fan bores have fostered the 'we're better than them' mentality (the actions of the governing body to change the game to make it more spectator-friendly suggest they'd love the viewing figures, of course).

i don't watch any sports, though the high drama of a tennis grand slam is always good.

i think we can at least all agree that golf is barely a sport and an even drabber affair on television.

shooting is so little of a sport that it couldn't even make it into the commonwealth games properly this time around. who can possibly be interested? isn't it happening in india or something, a literal side-show? a side-show to a side-show of the olympics -- wow. shooting is on the same order as darts, for me, an idle pursuit bereft of all athleticism. i could maybe get behind it if it took place in darkened conference centres with rooms full of people sat around drinking 12 pints of lager.
I'll agree that golf isn't a sport, its barely a game. Like tennis intended as a wheeze for victorian gentility to waste lazy sunday afternoons.
Proper sports have some foundation in hunting or warfare.

Its funny how a nation which has depended for centuries for its defence and worldwide preeminence on encouraging if not mandating that its citizens maintain skill-at-arms through regular target practice (Shooting clubs are still charities by default in the UK.) has now gone all sniffy about it.

Its a truly egalitarian skill sport in which money and genetics play no part, no wonder the meejah don't like it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Target shooting looks like the most weirdo sport of all. A bunch of creepy dudes silently sending bullets down range. You know at least a few of them wish the targets were people.
Its fun, you'd enjoy it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
I'm doing a round of sporting clays in the morning. I will pretend the pigeons are Macbeth
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
lol very arbitrary definitions there dilbert. more from the dilbert playbook of 'the world according to wot i like'.

sports require foundations in hunting or warfare(!??). wtf.

tennis was a court sport for kings. you know, it's in the name. which is i think what you're getting at with your 'hunting' reference: most sports were considered pursuits and refinements of the nobility, including hunting. i see you have no problem with fencing: where'd you think that one came from?

as for calling it an idle wheeze: i don't think target pistols quite compares to the physical and mental dedication of a nadal or djokovic. have you ever done anything as strenuous as playing 5-sets in your life?

Its funny how a nation which has depended for centuries for its defence and worldwide preeminence on encouraging if not mandating that its citizens maintain skill-at-arms through regular target practice (Shooting clubs are still charities by default in the UK.) has now gone all sniffy about it.
the UK maintained its global eminence because of its citizens' 'skill-at-arms'? wtf this is even more bizarre than stating most modern sports derive from warfare. the last time i checked, the british empire at its peak maintained its global eminence through the navy. you know, press gangs and forcing people onto ships. not a bunch of nerds shooting guns at target ranges. prior to that there were small professionalized armies, not citizen militias frequently encouraged to hone their musketry; warfare in europe wasn't made on the citizenry or by the citizenry, you illiterate moron. when was the last time the defence of the realm relied upon well-practiced target shooters keeping up their skills? napoleon must have been quaking in his boots.

all community amateur sports clubs are eligible for charitable status in the UK. i never recall roller derby being integral to our national survival. the charitable status isn't given because it's considered a vital part of our national life. oh! shooting clubs are still granted a charitable stay to this day! because of their service in the boer war! derp.

but OK. whatever goes in dilbert's la-la-land. you've been watching too much dad's army mate.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-18 16:01:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sports clubs have the option of seeking charitable status, historically all shooting clubs have been by default, although I read now that the charity commission is now working to reverse that by using a new definition of charitable status. It used to be something for the social good, and defence of the realm being a social good - that was thoroughly established in law, now its only something which promotes personal health apparently.

You might want to enlighten yourself and read up on the European history starting here:

"In medieval times, it was compulsory for all yeomen in England to learn archery; see for example An Act concerning shooting in Long Bows, passed in the 3rd year of Henry VIII."

Target shooting has been supported and promoted for centuries, for obvious reasons. A well practiced public being useful when you need to raise an army.
Now the govt doesn't want the plebs knowing how to use weapons opinion has been turned against it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-18 16:36:41)

uziq
+492|3449
archery is a different sport from shooting, dilbert. that may surprise you. the 'yeomanry' have not been encouraged to shoot for the sake of 'defense of the realm', ever (the closest parallel i can think of is dad's army and the home effort during ww2, hence my joke). europe had standing professionalized armies. war was not made on citizens. hence napoleon rolling across europe. hence the prussians billeting in french villages. the whole idea that the mass of people have been encouraged to learn to shoot, like american or swiss militias, is historically illiterate.

when europe wanted to raise armies in the age of empire, it had professional armies to do so. hence press ganging and conscription, like i mentioned. no lay-people encouraged to passively train in guns, though. nope. that didn't happen. 'excuse me, mr recruiter, i'm a dab hand with a lee enfield ...' during the era of great empires, the business of war and common civic life took place in separate spheres (it's capitalism, duh! business is business, civvy street is civvy street etc.) you mentioned 'pre-eminence', which was won and secured by our control of the seas. the british navy only began to build their first rudimentary ships in the era of henry VIII.

sorry but your 'my sport is responsible for the greatness of the british empire, now the country has grown ungrateful' talk is arrant fucking nonsense. henry VIII and longbows don't have much to do with target pistols or the UK being saved from mortal threats abroad. how noble of you to impute your nerdy university hobby with 'defense of the realm', long-recognised with charitable exemptions for its proud heritage of ... erm, longbowmen

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-18 17:09:22)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Guns right activist in the U.S. like to pass around the myth that Hitler banned guns in Nazi Germany. He actually promoted people joining gun and shooting clubs. He wanted to make sure people were prepared for the war he predicted coming.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449
hitler and the nazis also banned fencing and the academic tradition of duelling, which were associated with the upper-classes and hence pre-nazi culture. there was a whole officer-class culture of the 'schmisse' in germany during the great war. men with facial scarring were considered more noble. by the time hitler joined the bosch, late-19th century aristocratic students at heidelberg and other seats of learning were giving one another facial razor cuts in their dorms.

the nazis encouraged all sorts of what they perceived to be 'correct' pursuits for the new german citizen. lots of exercising on beaches in the cold, taking of the waters in the baltic, holistic retreats with pagan-quack doctors in the deep forests. that sort of thing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

archery is a different sport from shooting, dilbert. that may surprise you. the 'yeomanry' have not been encouraged to shoot for the sake of 'defense of the realm', ever. europe had standing professionalized armies. war was not made on citizens. hence napoleon rolling across europe. hence the prussians billeting in french villages. the whole idea that the mass of people have been encouraged to learn to shoot, like american or swiss militias, is historically illiterate.

when europe wanted to raise armies in the age of empire, it had professional armies to do so. hence press ganging and conscription, like i mentioned. no lay-people encouraged to passively train in guns, though. nope. that didn't happen. 'excuse me, mr recruiter, i'm a dab hand with a lee enfield ...' the business of war and common civic life took place in separate spheres (it's capitalism, duh! business is business, civvy street is civvy street etc.)

sorry but your 'my sport is responsible for the greatness of the british empire, now the country has grown ungrateful' talk is arrant fucking nonsense. henry VIII and longbows don't have much to do with target pistols or the UK being saved from mortal threats abroad.
You're completely wrong.

Professional armies are rather recent, dating back to about the English Civil War and the New Model Army. Prior to that it was lords calling up the fyrd to fight it out on the battlefield. Peasant against peasant with a handful of trained gentry to lead them. Having a trained fyrd made calling them up easier.

Until the 1970s, the US depended on the draft to fill the military during times of war. When you're dependent on the draft it's much better to have citizens trained with firearms. Things like hunting clubs as charities make sense in this regard. Dilbert is right, you're wrong. Stop nattering about your gay tennis obsession.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

uziq wrote:

the nazis encouraged all sorts of what they perceived to be 'correct' pursuits for the new german citizen. lots of exercising on beaches in the cold, taking of the waters in the baltic, holistic retreats with pagan-quack doctors in the deep forests. that sort of thing.
They also had the first anti-smoking campaign. The Nazis did have an interest in the physical health and well being of German people that seems bizarre to many Americans.

One of the head editors of the National Review wrote a book "Liberal Fascism" arguing that since the Nazis didn't like smoking, and the democrats don't like smoking, the democrats are kind of like the Nazis.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71QeTGyNcDL.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
A bit more nuanced than that... highly recommend that book
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3449
yes, and dilbert is talking about how training people in target practice assured 'the pre-eminence of britain', i.e. after the 1700s and our victories at sea over spain and victories against france. not feudal europe. my WHOLE POINT is that by this era the business of war was professionalized and far removed from the widespread arming and mobilisation of the entire populace.

in feudal europe they didn't have guns. do you really have to be told that target shooting and archery are different disciplines? we still have archery clubs and archery competitions in the UK. dilbert has nothing the fuck do with it. do the archery clubs have placards outside: 'assuring the pre-eminence of britain since 1530?'

fyrd is an old english word, not even relevant to what you're discussing pre-civil war. fyrds are pre-norman. we may as well be talking about how dilbert's shooting clubs have a direct lineage with celts and jutes throwing javelins. if you're going to say 'i'm wrong' and talk about pre-civil war england, don't elide it with a term that is 600 years earlier again. that is historically illiterate. are you going to start throwing around words like 'thanes' next? who cares about the details, eh ... 500 years here, 500 years there.

btw most of the peasants that were gathered together by their nobles in the way you are discussing were not archers. they would have had agricultural implements, hoes, pitchforks, that sort of thing.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-18 17:42:01)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

Jay wrote:

Professional armies are rather recent, dating back to about the English Civil War and the New Model Army. Prior to that it was lords calling up the fyrd to fight it out on the battlefield. Peasant against peasant with a handful of trained gentry to lead them. Having a trained fyrd made calling them up easier
https://i.imgur.com/7ku2PpQ.png
???

During the Middle Ages the Arab Kingdoms also had standing armies. They were made up of slave soldiers but they were always available.

I don't know how this is related to anything going on between the rest of you. I am not even really following along.
uziq
+492|3449
as ever, jay is the best example possible of how a little reading can be a dangerous thing. guy is really lecturing me on pre-1066 warfare in the british isles when i'm refuting dilbert's tendentious claims about pistol shooting clubs.

dilbert: 'for centuries, the worldwide pre-eminence' of britain was down to shooting clubs and a well-trained populace
me: britain's imperial eminence was attained in the era of the navy and army; 'when europe wanted to raise armies in the age of empire ...'
dilbert: but archery was practiced in the day of henry VIII's england
me: medieval longbowmen have nothing to do with pistol shooting, or the pre-eminence of modern britain; professional armies have dealt with guns and weapon training
jay: you're TOTALLY wrong, didn't you know, before the english civil war, in 1650, nobles used to raise saxon fyrds, accept it UR WRONG, FAG

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-18 17:57:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Jay wrote:

A bit more nuanced than that... highly recommend that book
Of course you would. It's propaganda from the age of Obama = Hitler. One of those books that's often met with either 0/5 or 5/5 reviews.

"We're not Nazis! You're Nazis!"

Ugh.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I mean the fascist got their idea of central economic planning from the Soviet Union. The Roosevelt administration saw that it was working for Europeans while Harding's laissez faire approach to the Great Depression that our economic system produced wasn't going to fix things. The Nazis did have a left wing at one point but Hitler killed them all off on the Night of Long Knives. He then sided with the industrialist to run his war machine. Almost every country in the world is a mixed economy to this day. And China's economic rise and our stagnation has thrown into question whether our model is even still viable in the face of global 21st century challenges.

But I don't think this is where the author was going.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

archery is a different sport from shooting, dilbert. that may surprise you. the 'yeomanry' have not been encouraged to shoot for the sake of 'defense of the realm', ever (the closest parallel i can think of is dad's army and the home effort during ww2, hence my joke). europe had standing professionalized armies. war was not made on citizens. hence napoleon rolling across europe. hence the prussians billeting in french villages. the whole idea that the mass of people have been encouraged to learn to shoot, like american or swiss militias, is historically illiterate.
No it isn't.

sorry but your 'my sport is responsible for the greatness of the british empire, now the country has grown ungrateful' talk is arrant fucking nonsense. henry VIII and longbows don't have much to do with target pistols or the UK being saved from mortal threats abroad. how noble of you to impute your nerdy university hobby with 'defense of the realm', long-recognised with charitable exemptions for its proud heritage of ... erm, longbowmen
In fact you're wrong. After the Boer War the Army and the govt encouraged the average person to take up target shooting.

The NSRA was originally formed in 1901 as the Society of Working Mens Rifle Clubs.[1] A series of heavy defeats during 1899 in the Second Boer War had demonstrated a lack of marksmanship ability amongst British military-age men, whilst the Boers had been able to pick off British officers at ranges in excess of 1,000yards. Although the National Rifle Association had been founded in 1859, ranges suitable for large-calibre service rifles were necessarily rural and costly to travel to. Cost of ammunition for civilians was also a limitation. With the development of the cheap .22 Long Rifle cartridge in 1887 it became apparent that principles of marksmanship could be taught and trained using these small calibre “miniature” rifles on local or even indoor ranges located in towns and cities.

Major General Charles Edward Luard was at the forefront of this line of thinking and pressured the British Government to sponsor such a movement from 1899 until the 23rd of March 1901 when a meeting of MPs, city Mayors and dignitaries representing many Working Men's Clubs, passed a resolution stating “That the foundation of THE SOCIETY OF WORKING MEN’S RIFLE CLUBS, for facilitating rifle shooting, more especially in the evening, with small-bore rifles and inexpensive ammunition, as an ordinary branch of recreation by working men’s and working boys’ clubs and institutes, be now proceeded with”

The organisation was founded on the premise of being funded primarily by gentlemen, with the working classes expected to join the clubs and avail themselves of this opportunity. In many ways this was a spiritual update on the ancient English law requiring all men and boys to practice archery, which would often have been facilitated by the local clergy and gentry, and many modern rifle clubs still benefit from this legacy having inherited the grounds and quarries that land owners made available to these new Miniature Rifle Clubs as range space.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ … ssociation
https://blog.railwaymuseum.org.uk/to-se … e-for-war/

And prior to that obviously the English longbowman protected the country from the French.

As for tennis, you're thinking of real tennis, the modern game is based on lawn tennis.
uziq
+492|3449
archery isn't different from gun shooting? better tell the commonwealth games and olympics. i assume you switch between revolver and bow with equal ease?

and how big is the NSRA? how big was it at its peak? what levels of participation has it ever had? and what conflict immediately followed the boer war, dilbert? how was all that put to use in terms of 'defense of the realm'? all that amateur small-bore rifle shooting came in awful handy in the great war. and what does this have to do with the 'global pre-eminence', 'for centuries' of england, again? you've handily deleted those parts, of course.

that a working men's society was set-up for target shooting is great. a well-meaning scheme by the old boys in the officer class, disappointed in their personnel compared to the self-sufficient boer settlers. the boy scouts had the same ethos, but you don't see them claiming responsibility for 'preparing the populace' and stepping up in 'defense of the realm'. well-meaning directives and societies are ten a penny; it doesn't follow and isn't self-evident that they were huge successes and directly responsible for anything.

in fact, doesn’t it entirely contradict your point, that britain was well-served by centuries of amateur shooting practice, when the UK military found the civilian populace, upon whom there had been placed new pressing wartime demands, utterly incompetent with pistols at the start of the 20th century? DERP DERP.

it's almost as if your pet sport is just as i said: a niche hobby for nerds, largely invented in the 20th century, and of no real import or significance whatsoever. i'm very glad that a few working men's clubs were set up to encourage small arms handling in 1900, though. really a significant contribution to national defense during the great war and world war two, those two conflicts notable for their small arms battles.

And prior to that obviously the English longbowman protected the country from the French.
ah, yes, that period before the boer war when english longbowmen (NOT pistoliers, i note, again), under orders of henry VIII, defended the realm. it's almost like you're historically illiterate and are glossing over, y'know, the ENTIRE 350 year period in between, when britain properly attained 'global pre-eminence' (your words, again), using PROPER armies (and not militias of battle-ready peasants roused by saxon lords in 800 AD, thanks, jay).

can you name me the battle where commoners took up their longbows in defense against the french? when did the french invade england, again? i suppose you're going to connect a line between you shooting revolvers at targets and agincourt, next.

For centuries, the worldwide pre-eminence...
the statement that target shooting has been responsible for the 'pre-eminence' of britain, as if throughout the empire's glory days the population were well-armed and handy with a pistol, thanks to their frequent amateur practice, is complete and utter fucking nonsense. it's all very well editing your original post to make the claim much more vague and general -- that's just you admitting your captious claims. unfortunately i already quoted you. now it seems you've reformulated it to be 'it was always encouraged, being familiar with a pistol is useful when you're conscripted into the army', which is so obvious as to be entirely unexceptionable. my point being that the ARMY and NAVY and PROFESSIONAL soldiers were responsible for that eminence. remind me when you get accepted into the armed forces based on your target shooting record.

As for tennis, you're thinking of real tennis, the modern game is based on lawn tennis.
you commit the same fallacy when you equate modern televised rugby to the game practiced on public school playing fields, the 'warfare' prep you talk about. latterly expressed in the split between league and union.

Last edited by uziq (2020-01-19 09:38:03)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

As I understand it, firearms events like these are specialized and many of the techniques don't bear much resemblance to combat marksmanship. Also a lot of modern military jobs don't even involve shooting things. Holding sport shooting as some sort of military readiness is probably a conceit.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
We need combat golf, in which the spectators needn't be quiet, the course is cratered and ill-maintained, and the athletes are strung out on amphetamines.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Bill_Laimbeer%27s_Combat_Basketball_Coverart.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
uziq
+492|3449
god bless roller derby. given charitable status in the UK. our roller wardens are always ready to fend off islamic terrorists.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

archery isn't different from gun shooting? better tell the commonwealth games and olympics. i assume you switch between revolver and bow with equal ease?

and how big is the NSRA? how big was it at its peak? what levels of participation has it ever had? and what conflict immediately followed the boer war, dilbert? how was all that put to use in terms of 'defense of the realm'? all that amateur small-bore rifle shooting came in awful handy in the great war. and what does this have to do with the 'global pre-eminence', 'for centuries' of england, again? you've handily deleted those parts, of course.

that a working men's society was set-up for target shooting is great. a well-meaning scheme by the old boys in the officer class, disappointed in their personnel compared to the self-sufficient boer settlers. the boy scouts had the same ethos, but you don't see them claiming responsibility for 'preparing the populace' and stepping up in 'defense of the realm'. well-meaning directives and societies are ten a penny; it doesn't follow and isn't self-evident that they were huge successes and directly responsible for anything.

in fact, doesn’t it entirely contradict your point, that britain was well-served by centuries of amateur shooting practice, when the UK military found the civilian populace, upon whom there had been placed new pressing wartime demands, utterly incompetent with pistols at the start of the 20th century? DERP DERP.

it's almost as if your pet sport is just as i said: a niche hobby for nerds, largely invented in the 20th century, and of no real import or significance whatsoever. i'm very glad that a few working men's clubs were set up to encourage small arms handling in 1900, though. really a significant contribution to national defense during the great war and world war two, those two conflicts notable for their small arms battles.

ah, yes, that period before the boer war when english longbowmen (NOT pistoliers, i note, again), under orders of henry VIII, defended the realm. it's almost like you're historically illiterate and are glossing over, y'know, the ENTIRE 350 year period in between, when britain properly attained 'global pre-eminence' (your words, again), using PROPER armies (and not militias of battle-ready peasants roused by saxon lords in 800 AD, thanks, jay).

can you name me the battle where commoners took up their longbows in defense against the french? when did the french invade england, again? i suppose you're going to connect a line between you shooting revolvers at targets and agincourt, next.

For centuries, the worldwide pre-eminence...
the statement that target shooting has been responsible for the 'pre-eminence' of britain, as if throughout the empire's glory days the population were well-armed and handy with a pistol, thanks to their frequent amateur practice, is complete and utter fucking nonsense. it's all very well editing your original post to make the claim much more vague and general -- that's just you admitting your captious claims. unfortunately i already quoted you. now it seems you've reformulated it to be 'it was always encouraged, being familiar with a pistol is useful when you're conscripted into the army', which is so obvious as to be entirely unexceptionable. my point being that the ARMY and NAVY and PROFESSIONAL soldiers were responsible for that eminence. remind me when you get accepted into the armed forces based on your target shooting record.

you commit the same fallacy when you equate modern televised rugby to the game practiced on public school playing fields, the 'warfare' prep you talk about. latterly expressed in the split between league and union.
LOL OK

The fact is the govt has historically encouraged target practice, for centuries, made shooting clubs charities by default and provided extensive land and funding and cooperation and interchange with the Army.

I'm a nerd? Out of the two of us who went to a first rate university, excelled in an olympic sport with a long history of civic duty, captained his college and university teams, represented his college, university, county and eventually country.
And which of us went to a tenth tier college, took a lot of illegal drugs and spent much of his time sitting in a darkened room furiously clicking a little button?

I don't think I'm the nerd here.

Britain has been well-served by centuries of amateur shooting practice.
Yes, wars have been won by artillery since before the American mutiny, marksmanship still plays its part, sniping still being a thing and critical in places like Afghanistan.

For example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Harrison_(sniper)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_ … tional_AWM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Cooper

So a sniper used long-range marksmanship skills largely developed by civilians, using a rifle developed by civilian competition shooters is useful in warfare. Who knew?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-01-19 14:24:54)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard