Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

pirana6 wrote:

That said, I'll sum it up with this: everyone sucks. Everyone.
That is a problem.

The people who are most hate-filled towards cyclists do tend to be obese slobs who couldn't ride a bike if they wanted to.

Anecdote: A morbidly dumb slob I knew actually said out loud "I'd like to have a hydraulic ram attached to my passenger door so I can press a button and smack cyclists into the ditch"
Because passing a cyclist really affects his life.

The bigger issue though is the gender dysphoria drugs the chinese are putting into the water supply to sap our will to fight.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

to repeat myself a bit:

A lot of hate for bicyclists in general seems to hinge on ones that don't follow traffic laws. This makes zero sense, is unfair, and unfairly applied when there are cars (and trucks) not following traffic laws either.

Here's a car game: spot drivers holding phones kind of away from their face because it doesn't count unless it's up against their ear.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
They don't even try to hide looking at the phone. Straight up look down most of the time
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.
I can self report pot holes and HOV lane violators, when can I report people on their phones?

I do have a motorcycle and of course there is no way look at my phone so like rick and newbie are saying (and due to the fact that you sit up higher), you can see exactly how many drivers are on their phones and it's fuckin everyone.

re motorcyclists: 95% of them fucking suck: lane splitting, driving aggressively, weaving in/out of traffic, etc etc. The worst are the ones who ride shoulder to get through traffic. I do the speed limit and usually just ride around town, but when I do hit the highway I use indicators and drive like I'm not the most important person in the world. You therefor have my (as a fellow rider) permission to side-swipe the assholes and leave the scene*, teaching them a lesson. Leave the rule-followers alone please.

*You probably should, in fact, NOT do this. It's illegal.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

RTHKI wrote:

They don't even try to hide looking at the phone. Straight up look down most of the time
If they're going to do it anyway, it's probably better that they're kind of looking straight ahead and not down at their lap. I don't think there's too much difference between just talking on the phone or yakking up a passenger. Same distracting habit.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.
Back on topic: I sold some old pokemon cards, and bought an e-bike.

I'll stop at red lights and stop signs, use bike lanes whenever possible, and ride to the far right of the parking lane if not.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
You had cards that were worth something?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6290|Washington St.
According to people on Ebay, about $1500 worth for a few of them. I've got some more but at best guess (which is a bad guess), only another couple hundred worth.

Would have probably been worth a lot more had I been paying attention and sold at the weird spike when they were worth a ton in late 2021... But at no point would I have made life-changing money. Perfect timing and dumb luck I guess I could have made $10k, but now will only make $2k. So I'll use it for an ebike!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

pirana6 wrote:

Back on topic: I sold some old pokemon cards, and bought an e-bike.

I'll stop at red lights and stop signs, use bike lanes whenever possible, and ride to the far right of the parking lane if not.
Just remember to fit a blinding strobe to the front and back.

Not sure when that was made legal, can I fit them to my car?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Back off topic: again, lights are issues in cars. Shining in your face from oncoming traffic, into your back window from the truck behind you, aftermarket afterimages in your eyeballs. In addition, drivers making knowing, malicious use of their brights, against pedestrians, bicyclists, or even other drivers.

My old bike has a strobe on it, but it isn't like one of the new rave ones marketed with more lumens = better. Just enough to be seen if it's getting dark. I'd probably want to hook up some better road lights if I took to riding around more in the evening.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I use Chat GPT all day long. It actually gives good advice without judgement.

It would be cool to train an AI on BF2s comment history.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

On one hand, we could have a simulation of jay and uzique at each other's throats.

On the other, it just wouldn't be the same.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I got it to do it. The prompt "Simulate an argument about college between a blue collar Libertarian who went to naval college named Jay and a wealthy jerk British academic named Uzique."
Jay: Hey Uzique, you know what really bugs me about college? The way it's become this bloated system that churns out debt-ridden graduates with degrees that often don't even lead to good jobs. It's just not worth it for a lot of people.

Uzique: Oh, please, Jay. Your blue-collar perspective is so narrow-minded. College education is about more than just finding a job. It's about intellectual growth, expanding horizons, and developing critical thinking skills. It's an investment in oneself and society.

Jay: I get that, Uzique, but not everyone has the luxury of pursuing those ideals when they're struggling to make ends meet. And let's not forget the outrageous cost of college these days. It's a burden that many simply can't bear. Why should they be punished for not being able to afford it?

Uzique: Punished? No one is being punished. College is a choice, and those who can afford it reap the benefits. Education is a privilege, not a right. It's up to individuals to take responsibility for their own lives and make the necessary sacrifices to pursue higher education.

Jay: But Uzique, that's just it. College shouldn't be a privilege reserved for the wealthy. It should be accessible to all, based on merit and ability, not just one's financial situation. We need a system that values trade schools and vocational training as much as it does traditional college degrees.

Uzique: Ah, the classic libertarian argument. You want to dismantle the system and let the market sort it out. Well, Jay, not everyone is cut out for vocational training. Some fields require specialized knowledge that can only be gained through a college education. We can't let the market dictate everything.

Jay: I'm not saying we should get rid of colleges altogether, Uzique. I'm saying we should reform the system to make it more affordable and practical for everyone. Let's focus on skills and knowledge that are actually in demand in the job market, rather than burdening students with irrelevant coursework and crushing debt.

Uzique: And who gets to decide what's relevant, Jay? The market? Are we going to turn education into a mere vocational training center, churning out workers for the capitalist machine? College should be about more than just job prospects. It should foster critical thinking, cultural understanding, and social responsibility.

Jay: I agree that college should provide a well-rounded education, but we can't ignore the economic realities. The current system perpetuates inequality, with the wealthy having greater access to opportunities and resources. We need to find a balance that ensures education is accessible while still maintaining academic standards.

Uzique: It's easy for you to talk about balance when you've had the privilege of attending a naval college, Jay. But not everyone has the same opportunities. We should be investing more in scholarships and financial aid to level the playing field, rather than watering down the education system to cater to those who want a shortcut to a job.

Jay: Look, Uzique, I'm not against scholarships or financial aid. Those are important tools to promote equal access. But we also need to address the underlying issues of cost and relevance. A college education should be valuable and affordable, offering students a real chance at success without drowning them in debt.

Uzique: I agree that college costs need to be addressed, and we should explore ways to make education more accessible. But we shouldn't lose sight of the bigger picture. College is about more than just immediate economic returns. It's about personal growth, societal progress, and the pursuit of knowledge.

Jay: And I'm saying we can have both, Uzique. We can have a system that balances economic realities with the pursuit of knowledge. We just need to be willing to challenge the status quo and find innovative solutions that benefit everyone, not just the privileged few.

Uzique: Well, Jay, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. College education is a complex issue, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution. But let's hope that we can find common ground in our shared belief in the importance of education, regardless of our differing perspectives.

Jay: Fair enough, Uzique. It's always good to have a spirited debate. Maybe we can continue this discussion over a pint sometime.

Uzique: I'd like that, Jay. It's always interesting to hear different viewpoints. Cheers to that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

It almost feels like their roles were slightly swapped or tilted in places. This isn't the first time I've seen AIs shamelessly flipflop. I don't remember if Jay ever argued in favor of affordable college for all.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its spot on, but is very curious without all the insults.

Now do me and Uzique arguing STEM vs humanities, with me winning and Uzique accepting he's wrong.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its spot on, but is very curious without all the insults.

Now do me and Uzique arguing STEM vs humanities, with me winning and Uzique accepting he's wrong.
Debate Moderator (Macbeth): Friends, countrymen, lend me your ears! Tonight, we gather for a debate on personal choices and societal norms. On one side, we have Uzique, an arrogant British millennial academic. And on the other side, we have Dilbert, a Gen X engineer. Uzique will argue against Dilbert's choice to live at home and engage in the purchase of sexual services. Dilbert, the floor is yours for opening remarks.

Dilbert: Thank you, Macbeth. I appreciate the opportunity to express my perspective on this matter. As an engineer, I have made the conscious decision to live with my parents to support them in their older years and save money. Additionally, I engage in consensual transactions with sex workers, which I believe is a legitimate adult choice. I look forward to discussing these choices further with Uzique.

Uzique: (sighs dramatically) Oh, Dilbert, it's truly astounding to see someone of your age and supposed intellect still mooching off their parents. Living at home and relying on your parents for support is not only a sign of your lack of independence but also a glaring example of your utter lack of ambition. Do you plan on living under their roof forever, Dilbert? Perhaps they can continue to tuck you in at night and spoon-feed you while you search for your next paid escapade.

Dilbert: I understand your differing opinion, Uzique, but living with my parents is a personal choice that allows me to support them and secure a better financial future. It enables me to invest in meaningful projects and contribute positively to society.

Uzique: Spare me the sob story, Dilbert. Your so-called financial security seems more like an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for your own life. By hiding under your parents' wings, you miss out on crucial life experiences and personal growth that come with independence. It's no wonder you feel the need to pay for affection and intimacy since you clearly lack the ability to form genuine connections.

Dilbert: I understand that you hold a different perspective, Uzique, but I believe that purchasing sex can be a consensual transaction between adults, as long as it respects the rights and dignity of the individuals involved. It is essential to support the decriminalization of sex work and protect the well-being of sex workers.

Uzique: Dilbert, it's truly disheartening to witness your shallow understanding of human relationships. Engaging in such transactions devalues the inherent worth of individuals and reduces them to mere objects for your pleasure. It perpetuates a culture of exploitation and objectification, where vulnerable individuals are taken advantage of. Your willingness to contribute to this deplorable system speaks volumes about your character or lack thereof.

Macbeth: Thank you both for expressing your viewpoints, albeit with differing levels of decorum. Unfortunately, our time for this debate has come to an end. While heated exchanges can occur, it is important to remember the value of respectful dialogue and the opportunity to learn from one another. Thank you, Uzique and Dilbert, for your participation.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

zero chill
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
sighs dramatically
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Perfect, thank you

Still feels weird without the stream of vitriol
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I was just listening to a song from 2005. I realized that that is the equivalent of someone in the year 2000 listening to a song from 1985.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

I think you should check your math on that one.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
math*s
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America
maffs**
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

math*s
*mathematics. 'maths' and 'math' are both just incomplete words and abbreviations of a mass noun. neither is any more correct than the other.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock
The King would say maths if he had to choose between the two, I am sure.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard