unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I'm wary of saying "never." A lot of pipe-dream technology erupted from a cloud of naysaying. I see a lot of potential especially in bionics. Artificial nerves, brain-machine interfaces, brain-restorative prosthetics. I don't think we'll be in the Matrix in 2021, though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

yes the 'softer' subjects professions do have professional bodies that they are expected to join? advertising your ignorance a little there, dilbert.

doctors' jobs involve the direct care of another person's life or health. no surprises that there are strict legal regulations as well as the hippocratic oath. not that i was really including doctors in my point about scientific research needing ethical frameworks from without -- bit of a misnomer using 'STEM' in that sense, when i have repeatedly used examples such as CRISPR to make clear what i'm talking about.

'there's an apparent tendency ... based on the available evidence'. ah, yes, 2 psychopaths from world history, who as well as truman were all world leaders at the same time during the same conflict. so your evidence is a dataset of three? and you were lecturing me on my poor grasp of science and statistics? you are beyond parody.
The two worst psychopaths in world history though, not insignificant, plus the two people who developed and directed the use of the A-bomb against civilians, that makes four.

I think at least I've answered your question 'how many mass-shooters have STEM degrees' - seems its only one, and a soft one at that.
There does seem to be a preponderance of arts/humanities interest in the remainder though, little STEM to speak of.

Can you calm down now?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
that is an incredibly powerful bit of inference you’ve done there, i’ll have to go away and think about it very hard. 2 dictators who never studied humanities and several school shooters, truly a correlation has been established.

i’m a little puzzled you lay the entire atom bomb responsibility on truman, and not, uuuh, all of the complicit scientists who helped to develop it. i guess several of them expressed remorse ... on truman’s behalf? very noble of them. not like there weren’t plenty of conscientious objectors, or anything. truman! monster!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, you asked the question of how many mass shooters had STEM degrees, then argued it didn't matter what degree someone studied because people have free will etc and its irrelevant. Not sure what your point was really.

The fact is there's no evidence mass shooters or mass-murderers have any leaning towards STEM, much more so that they lean towards humanities - you can make of it what you want.

I put the blame on Roosevelt and Truman, honest-to-goodness good-ole-boys who provoked a war with Japan then nuked them for good measure.
uziq
+492|3444
the ‘make u think’ part made it quite clear that the whole line of argument is fatuous in the extreme. i can’t believe it’s even a position you are sticking with.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You don't like what the discussion has thrown up, I get that, I really do.
uziq
+492|3444
do a research
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6615|Little Bentcock

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i don't think you should get candy on Halloween if you don't have a Halloween costume. These two black kids came to my door and asked for candy without costumes. I asked them where were their costume and they said they go to church and can't celebrate it. So I was like "so you can't celebrate Halloween but you can take our candy?" The kid looked at me confused and then I gave him a piece of candy. I don't think they are even from my town to be honest. I think they came from the town over to take our candy.
You were robbed. That was a robbery.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They could have been dressed as slaves for all you know, maybe they didn't want to admit it?

But you could still have shot them and claimed self-defence, gay fright or whatever.
No jury would convict.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5780|Catherine Black
forgot about this place for a bit again

miss anything?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3444
i am really close to finally beating dilbert and convincing him to study to become a history teacher with jay.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thanks I'd rather create the future.
uziq
+492|3444
ironic that a childless engineer with legal problems with prostitutes talks about ‘creating the future’. yeah you lathe those bolts!!! musk is gonna return your calls any day now.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Irony is an amazing thing.

I bet your parents thought they were creating the future when they had you.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5780|Catherine Black
cHiLdReN aRe oUr fUtUrE
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

Irony is an amazing thing.

I bet your parents thought they were creating the future when they had you.
i have sown wild oats on three continents. my parents' legacy is secure. a great profligacy of genetic wealth and spending.

what do yours think about you sitting in the nest at 50 and still taking half-digested food from their beaks?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You have three kids?

You're finally ahead of Jay. Congrats.
uziq
+492|3444
i cannot confirm or deny this rumour, much like our providential leader.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

It would be weird if while arguing about who is doing more for the future of mankind, a lethal gamma ray burst hit our planet and rendered the whole thing moot.
uziq
+492|3444
well everything is pointless at a wide enough scope or scale. well done on the elementary nihilism, there. next week, existentialism 101: we must take responsibility for our own mortality etc etc.

meanwhile, here on earth, as we busy ourselves with our ant-like activities, poetry and philosophy are far richer pursuits than worker-drone engineering. prove me wrong faygit!!!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Feel free to do whatever you like.

No mass shootings though please.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Can Westpac boss Brian Hartzer really keep his job?

Hot on the heels of one of Westpac's worst financial performances, the chief executive now has to explain a catastrophic failure at the bank that, among other things, allowed paedophiles to make payments to the Philippines for live streamed child sex shows.

AUSTRAC alleges more than 23 million breaches of the law — each breach could attract a fine between $17 million and $21 million, which adds up to a ludicrous and unlikely $400 trillion potential maximum penalty.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-21/ … n=business
He graduated from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in European history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hartzer

The Commonwealth Bank has announced that its chief executive Ian Narev will retire by the end of the current financial year.

Key points:
CBA CEO Ian Narev has faced heavy criticism over money laundering scandal
The bank will search internally and externally for his successor
Mr Narev's total remuneration for financial year 2017 was $5.5m, less than half the year before
CBA's chairman Catherine Livingstone said the board had decided to bring forward details of its succession planning to deal with "speculation and questions about his tenure".

Mr Narev has also seen his pay packet slashed by more than 50 per cent, partly as a result of the money laundering scandal.

CBA's board decided to eliminate the short-term bonuses of all senior executives for the 2017 financial year.

That left the Commonwealth Bank boss with a total pay packet of $5.5 million last financial year, versus $12.3 million the year before.

Mr Narev has been heavily criticised for a money laundering scandal that has rocked the bank, which is facing potentially billions of dollars in fines from a court case against it by regulator AUSTRAC.

Mr Narev would fully understand the seriousness of AUSTRAC's allegations, having a bachelor's degree and two masters degrees in law.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/ … ly/8803302

Seems these guys should have studied some ethics.
Maybe they should have had an engineer on the board to give them some moral guidance?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-11-20 19:16:44)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

uziq wrote:

well everything is pointless at a wide enough scope or scale. well done on the elementary nihilism, there. next week, existentialism 101: we must take responsibility for our own mortality etc etc.

meanwhile, here on earth, as we busy ourselves with our ant-like activities, poetry and philosophy are far richer pursuits than worker-drone engineering. prove me wrong faygit!!!!
That's not how I operate though. I don't look at the speed limit and say "well screw it, a virus could wipe us out anyway so let's kick it up to 100."

I think there's a lot of synergy between the arts and sciences. The dick measuring that goes on between the two sometimes just seems really pointless to me. At a stage where it seems viable to interject with some cosmic scenario.
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

Can Westpac boss Brian Hartzer really keep his job?

Hot on the heels of one of Westpac's worst financial performances, the chief executive now has to explain a catastrophic failure at the bank that, among other things, allowed paedophiles to make payments to the Philippines for live streamed child sex shows.

AUSTRAC alleges more than 23 million breaches of the law — each breach could attract a fine between $17 million and $21 million, which adds up to a ludicrous and unlikely $400 trillion potential maximum penalty.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-21/ … n=business
He graduated from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in European history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hartzer

The Commonwealth Bank has announced that its chief executive Ian Narev will retire by the end of the current financial year.

Key points:
CBA CEO Ian Narev has faced heavy criticism over money laundering scandal
The bank will search internally and externally for his successor
Mr Narev's total remuneration for financial year 2017 was $5.5m, less than half the year before
CBA's chairman Catherine Livingstone said the board had decided to bring forward details of its succession planning to deal with "speculation and questions about his tenure".

Mr Narev has also seen his pay packet slashed by more than 50 per cent, partly as a result of the money laundering scandal.

CBA's board decided to eliminate the short-term bonuses of all senior executives for the 2017 financial year.

That left the Commonwealth Bank boss with a total pay packet of $5.5 million last financial year, versus $12.3 million the year before.

Mr Narev has been heavily criticised for a money laundering scandal that has rocked the bank, which is facing potentially billions of dollars in fines from a court case against it by regulator AUSTRAC.

Mr Narev would fully understand the seriousness of AUSTRAC's allegations, having a bachelor's degree and two masters degrees in law.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/ … ly/8803302

Seems these guys should have studied some ethics.
Maybe they should have had an engineer on the board to give them some moral guidance?
you still seem to be pursuing this idea that the degree you get at age 18 sets your character in a solid-cast mould for the rest of your life. i never claimed that.

i was quite obviously referring to the practice of scientific research, and the fact that science needs extra-scientific ideas in order to moderate and legislate the ‘pure’ and ‘disinterested’ pursuit of knowledge. rationalism, scientism, instrumental reason - whatever you want to call it - can all lead to some highly undesirable results.

i never said ‘anyone who gets a bachelor of science lacks morality for their entire lives; everyone with a bachelor of arts is a moral saint’. i was never even talking about individual human behaviour, only to be facile and ironic and reply to your moronic statements about ‘hurr durr hitler loved arts!’

i don’t know what sort of world you live in where you can nearly categorise people based on the category of degree they have, but it probably isn’t a world that involves much human interaction, dilbert. countering my claims that scientific research and knowledge must rely on ‘humanistic’ philosophies and ethics to ‘frame the debate’ and ‘need’ of new technologies that ‘this man bankrupted a company and he has a history degree’ is slightly missing the point, old chap. i was talking about a world where science for science’s sake, without an evaluative value system from without, can lead to designer babies and mass sterilisations, not a world in which people who took calculus in college must be put on a watch list for the rest of their lives. ffs
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So what does History for History's sake produce exactly?
Its doesn't seem to produce 'an evaluative value system'. It seems wholly redundant.

We expect scientists to follow the scientific method they were instructed in, same for the systems doctors and engineers trained in, and we expect them to be moral, have a value system etc.

But when it comes to 'humanities' you take the view, "oh well, they were probably going to be bad anyway" so what really is the point - learning something then not applying it?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard