unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

Be specific. If you don't know the exact terms, then don't just tell them what you want; show them what you want. Grab one of the style books in the waiting area. Find a pic on your phone that's about what you're going for. I guarantee these guys go through hundreds of people who simply say "just a trim" and then get annoyed when it wasn't exactly what they had in mind. There are so many shapes you can make hair, you're basically just giving them artistic license.

Is the place immaculate? Do they rush through customers? Do they seem knowledgeable when you chat them up about latest trends? Dig up some local salons that specifically advertise men's styles. Ones by appointment are likely to be better than strip mall franchises.

There's a pretty awkward period of time between short hair and long. If you're going to do your own, practice on gauging angle and distance through a double mirror.
uziq
+492|3472

Larssen wrote:

I'm so done with barbers/hairdressers by now. I'm trying to grow my hair out some more for the first time and it's like they don't know what to do with medium length hair on men. I tell them I want to grow it out further and just to tidy it up a little around the neck/ears and bam I walk out with 8 weeks of growth gone.

You don't want a fade or buzzed sides?? they just blue screen.

I'm gonna try do my own maintenance for the next few months, I've had enough.
don't go to barbers is the very obvious advice. male barbers exclusively do 'fades and buzzed' styles. barbers are for short, traditional male grooming, including shaving services.

if you want medium-length or long hair, you go to hair salons. you might have to even get your hair cut *gasp* by a woman stylist. they are the ones who are trained to add layers, cut bangs/fringes, manage thick or unkempt hair, etc.

i never go to barbers precisely because they always give the same 2-3 styles; that's what the vast majority of bad-to-average ones are solely trained to do. you could go to a plush, luxury 'barber' for gentlemen and get a slightly more bespoke cut alongside your complimentary drink of whiskey, but still. i think just going to a hair stylists will be much, much better. we commonly refer to these types of hairdresser here as a 'unisex salon' or something similar.

if you think it's hard where you live, try explaining to a stylist in a foreign language how to cut your hair. even showing pictures doesn't seem to help sometimes. and this IS at expensive, plush places in gangnam. haha. i've had 1-2 pretty questionable haircuts here for 50+ euros. asian hairstylists can at least plead innocence with western hair types or anything that isn't the thick, straight asian norm.

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-21 21:01:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6126|eXtreme to the maX
I just ask for a haircut.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

"One Forrest Gump, please."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3739
Mother always said life is like a hair cut. Make sure you get it from somebody who knows how to do it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6704|United States of America
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3739
This haircut came across my desk via Reddit.
https://external-preview.redd.it/RxZ0SLOuJ7JlAwsmXB7QgsrCfy43f3kY3PeQ5DrnSfM.jpg?width=498&auto=webp&s=0b0b179dd6666302efa414200f98c9cff1579098
In a different timeline Kid Rock stays a rapper.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

A little more volume and he could've pulled off a young Guile.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3739
I think Van Dam did a great job as American hero Guile.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/VanDammeGuile.jpg/170px-VanDammeGuile.jpg
Bison was unironically good. He is the one I imagine myself to be when I wear the hat.
https://blacknerdproblems.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/streetfighter-raul-julia-900x0-c-default.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aqpYUPzaX-Q/maxresdefault.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

RIP

Larssen
+99|1907

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Be specific. If you don't know the exact terms, then don't just tell them what you want; show them what you want. Grab one of the style books in the waiting area. Find a pic on your phone that's about what you're going for. I guarantee these guys go through hundreds of people who simply say "just a trim" and then get annoyed when it wasn't exactly what they had in mind. There are so many shapes you can make hair, you're basically just giving them artistic license.

Is the place immaculate? Do they rush through customers? Do they seem knowledgeable when you chat them up about latest trends? Dig up some local salons that specifically advertise men's styles. Ones by appointment are likely to be better than strip mall franchises.

There's a pretty awkward period of time between short hair and long. If you're going to do your own, practice on gauging angle and distance through a double mirror.
I was very clear that I wanted to keep growing my hair, to just do some minimal maintance for the tips. I got unlucky, but also because most guys have the same kind of hairstyles these days so the barbers are used to cutting it that way.

The problem is that I did have a slight fade along the sides before with the hair being longer on top, but also longer in the front than the back etc. As you start growing it out, that former styling makes it look weird in a way because it's rather uneven. So it needs to be trimmed right.

I do go to the more expensive places. It's not a bad cut I was given, just not what I want.

I figured I'll maintain my neck and ears myself, which isn't too difficult. I'm staying out of hairdressers till the length feels about right. Next time I'll also bring pictures just in case. Describing it and waving my hands around clearly doesn't work.
uziq
+492|3472
you didn’t get unlucky. you went to a barbers and ended up with a barber’s male close haircut. go to a hair salon.

if the first thing that happens when you sit down in the chair is that they pull out the big, traditional hairclippers with the graded length attachments … then you know you’ve made a mistake. you’re going to get a typical male shaved back-and-sides.

you can’t ‘layer’ or ‘grow out’ a grade 2 back very quickly. when you go to a hair salon, they trim or shape your medium-length hair using scissors.  you can even get certain parts down to 'shaver' length using scissors, only it can be much more subtly blended in to the longer/thicker layers.

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-23 06:38:41)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

It really can't be emphasized enough.

Emag putting it clearly:

The main difference between the two types of haircutters is that barbers are typically trained to cut shorter, traditional haircuts for men while salon stylists are trained to cut longer, fuller men's styles. A barber's primary focus is cutting men's hair, and they are adept at using clippers. Conversely, a salon stylist receives more training in the art of styling hair for women with scissors.
Like you wouldn't generally hire a service that exclusively mows grass lawns to come take care of a garden.

When to Go to a Barber

The best choice is a barber if you're looking for a short, traditional style haircut such as a buzzcut, flattop, fade, or military-style cut. Barbers will ask you how you want your hair cut and do what you ask, normally without much feedback. Most barbers are cheaper than stylists, so you can save a bit of money going to a good barber, if that's a priority for you. A haircut you get from a barber will be simple and easy to maintain and won't require a lot of styling product. If that's you, a barber is the right fit. If you want a shave, you can only get that at a barbershop. Many upscale barbershops offer hot lather face shaves, which are a real treat.

When to Go to a Salon Stylist

If you're going longer, you will likely be happier with a salon cut. Stylists generally have more experience cutting and styling longer hair. Ditto if you want color: Most barbers do not do a lot of color services, so you'll likely get better results from a stylist who is more knowledgeable. If you want a more trendy, fashion-forward cut, a stylist is usually more aware of current trends than a barber. If you want a new style, a stylist can make suggestions for a style that will flatter your features better.

You'll also find an array of products in a salon that you won't find in a barbershop, and your stylist can suggest the right one for you and how to use it.
uziq
+492|3472
other signs to look out for: a salon will normally offer and price-in a hair wash and style consultation as part of a standard appointment. a barber's will ask you if you also want a shave. they are just different stores with different expertise. an expert with a shaver isn't going to be able to help you achieve a well-coiffed bouffant.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3739
Just learn to wear a buzz cut.
https://www.byrdie.com/thmb/ihazqmzm4_fV7VSMGPfH23Ar6Yw=/683x1024/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/GettyImages-652215252-66f35769e2864ad3a3623c0807a327ec.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

Do you plan on coming in frequent contact with fleas and lice?
uziq
+492|3472
speaking of haircuts, i need one. going to wait for the current omicron wave to recede a bit, though. can probably avoid close human contact with strangers for another fortnight.

https://i.imgur.com/LTVMuzE.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

I'm beyond needing a haircut. I haven't had a decent trim since this all started. All self-maintenance. A proper job of it by a trained professional was a low priority for me though considering all the people dying of that disease, and the WFH culture (when not out and about).
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6652|949

My gf is trying to get me to go to her stylist but it's in Silverlake which is over an hour from here and I just don't know how I feel about driving that far for a haircut.
uziq
+492|3472
that is pretty ridiculous. competent-to-good stylists are not that far to find in major cities.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6791|PNW

The pandemic gutted some of the various small shops in my area. Measures applied against them that larger businesses were able to work around, and whatever help (if any) they could get wasn't enough to keep some of them afloat. Some moved to different jobs, or took an early retirement.

Lots of spooky empty retail space further out towards the mountains. Meanwhile, execs from Applebees are sending emails spooging over the high gas prices because that will apparently drive second/third job workers into their business at lower wages. American dream.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

speaking of haircuts, i need one. going to wait for the current omicron wave to recede a bit, though. can probably avoid close human contact with strangers for another fortnight.
Why? Aren't you vaccinated?
uziq
+492|3472
i've had 3 shots, of course, but my last dose was 3-4 months ago. i'm not in a priority group for a 4th one and i'm fine waiting until the next generation of vaccines for my top-up, tbh. the elderly here are much more seriously at risk because of the timing of their booster rollout; there's really no reason for me to go and take a shot that is much more needed elsewhere.

cases peaked at 600,000 a day last week. admittedly korea has way higher rates of testing than just about any comparably sized western country to face an omicron wave, so it seems drastically bad when UK/germany/france/etc. were mostly practicing an ignorance-is-bliss approach to their actual new cases picture, but it's safe to say that i've been fine giving bars and nightclubs a pass, as well as extremely close-contact scenarios like hairdressers, for a week or two whilst the wave crests and recedes. half of korea's population lives in my city; the population density is one of the highest in the world. 'prudent' social distancing during the peak of a wave is not exactly an over-reaction in this context.

i have literally, repeatedly, quite clearly always said that vaccines are the best tool and that sensible initiative w/r/t social distancing, personal responsiblity for testing, masking, etc, is the best course forward. it's the least harmful/most frictionless approach. duh. why are you trying to call me out for waiting 10 days to get a haircut during the peak of a wave . i suppose a better approach would be to get 3 vaccine shots, as you have, and then to insist that 'they're useless', and call for all businesses, organisations, travel arrangements and social occasions to be closed/banned for 2 months in response to a wave, instead? lol try again, you dipshit.

me preferring not to get needlessly sick, if i can avoid it, doesn't mean i'm tacitly afraid of serious illness/death, or think 'the vaccines are useless'. i am not worried about serious effects of omicron. i can just ... quite easily practice social distancing and avoid it? it doesn't disrupt my life? i work freelance. getting sick in any way could affect my income. no thanks?

why aren't you sealed in a sterile bunker to avoid all those 'brain damaging' seasonal illnesses?

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-24 20:52:55)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, so you're a coward.
uziq
+492|3472
i'm a coward because i don't want to put myself at high-risk of getting sick for no reason? lol, are you fucking stupid or what?

i think everyone would prefer to avoid injury or illness, and would take commonsensical and prudent measures to avoid them.

unlike you, i don't think the vaccines are useless. i don't cry hysterically for society to totally shut-down everytime i read an alarmist news headline that i misinterpret through my garbled understanding of biology. stop projecting, peon.

i don't think omicron is a serious threat to life for anyone of my age bracket or health profile. the data says as much, overwhelmingly so. but it's still a highly infectious disease that is currently at peak circulation in my community. do i want to spend half a week afflicted with mild illness? fever? lethargy? any of the mild symptoms of omicron? erm ... no? as i said, i work freelance and anything that interrupts my workaday schedule/motivation is money out of my pocket.

lmao coward. when you've been sat in your mummy's house for 2 years calling for the world to shut down in order to soothe your panic. there there. you fucking idiot

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard