DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
I went to my 10 year high school reunion this weekend. It wasn't bad. It was a bit expensive for unlimited drinks, but it was only about 80 people out of our 350 person class. It was quite the random smattering of people who showed up. Several people got fat, and no one got thin.
uziq
+492|3413
i'm turning up to my school reunion in a horse-drawn chaise and i'm going to pretend i married a minor austrian royal, like i was destined to.

seriously who the fuck goes to school reunions. what even is the idea? to compare kids? brag up your achievements?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I would just go there to try to pick up some girls I went to high school with. But I do that already anyway. I missed mine but from the pictures on FB a little more than a dozen people showed up for a night at a bar. I don't think I missed anything.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
It is a good question. Generally, most people have become strangers except for the fact you know their name. A handful of people I stayed friends with were going, and I was interested to see some people who I've lost touch with. Realistically, it was a flimsy pretense to get together since people were likely to return to the area for Thanksgiving. It was a pleasant enough evening. Strangely, it did seem a lot of the people with kids weren't able to make it, so it was a good deal of yuppies.
uziq
+492|3413
i feel like HS reunions are a more american thing. in england, if you went to a good school, the 'reunions' take place in gentleman's clubs in london.

desert fox, so long as you felt good about the exercise, more power to you.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

globefish23 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Just remember, it was the British who slaughtered the Indians, after independence, somehow.
The last slaughterings were well into the 20th century, after WW1 even:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ … _conflicts
I dunno it feels like a couple of the last ones mentioned are outdone every other week by some modern mass shooting. Not to minimize the Indian Wars or anything, but the "official conflicts" just sort of tamely petered out. Now we get to listen to radio personalities gripe about the "handouts" Native Americans get from the government in between ads for fast food and diet pills, and how they don't deserve it because they weren't alive for it and also because there were some really violent tribes back then.

If anything is going to spark telekinesis in humans, I hope it starts by someone's brain rebelling against stupid BS and shutting off the TV with a cranial EMP.

A little late to post it for the occasion, but I think Addams Family had one of the best popular culture addresses for Thanksgiving. I could see a whole spin-off where the camp children disappear into the woods to start a Lord of the Flies civilization where currency is serial killer trading cards, but I'm glad they didn't run the joke into the ground.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6067|eXtreme to the maX
We could raise the average IQ by slaughtering everyone with a below-average IQ.
It would take some nerve but I think it would be worth it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6067|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i feel like HS reunions are a more american thing. in england, if you went to a good school, the 'reunions' take place in gentleman's clubs in london.

desert fox, so long as you felt good about the exercise, more power to you.
I was deliberately not invited to my 10 year reunion, but then invited to the 20 year one, I didn't attend either.

Its gratifying to read the newsletter occasionally and see that the "peaked in high-school" types really did and are now admin clerks or pub chefs.
And the ones who thought they were super-special and Daddy's name would carry them forward through some kind of snob-momentum effect are doing less well than they expected, if they're even doing anything.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

That's the thing. The idea of catching up with old friends is nice on the surface, but I feel like these things would just devolve into some sort of phallic measure-off. What else would an American reunion talk about other than how fat their wallets are.

I'd rather wear socks made out of glass shards glued together with dried rattlesnake venom than sip on punch listening to a bunch of lost looking, humble-bragging hominids regurgitating their life resumes while I'm doing my best to remember them as more than the zombified teenager who drool-napped all over their desk every morning, or the weirdo who liked to smear various condiments under all the doorknobs.

It feels like those reunions are only still one of those things because they were always a thing and nobody really questions it.
DesertFox-
I did notice that almost zero football players came to it. They are a rather cliqueish bunch so I guess that's expected that it's a very binary thing. Though I can't help but wonder if it's because a lot of them seem to have peaked in high school like the stereotype of the washed up Bill Dauterive type of guy. With Facebook though, I feel even if you weren't stalking people, you probably have better background about what folks are doing. I wanted to talk to a couple other people I knew were also in pharmaceuticals.

I didn't partake in or overhear any discussions about money and dick-measuring, but I suppose you could infer that the optometrist is making more than the social worker.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6698|Oxferd Ohire
People tried organizing a reunion a year to after graduation. It failed and no one's tried since.

Nice to see smilies still work. and I still have 27 unread messages.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5319|London, England
My 20 year reunion is next year, I might go, but I'm only really still friends with one person and I only see her maybe once a year. I didn't go to my ten year.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

yeah, high school reunions are stupid.

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and saw a few people from high school that i hadn't seen in ~15 years.  It was nice to catch up.  I don't do facebook or insta so i don't really know nor care what most people I went to school with are doing now.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Was that crazy ex from the other wedding you screwed there too?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

no, but i will see her this weekend.  The wedding was for a buddy i've known since high school but didn't go to school with.  He ended up moving to Arizona to get his MBA and randomly ended up befriending a group of friends i went to high school with. I hadn't seen the girls in a long time
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
You should just settle down with the crazy lady.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

Nah
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Aren't you in your mid-30's? If I hit my mid-30s unmarried I am going to just ask one of the townie girls I know.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

I'm not desperate like you seem to be though.  Marriage isn't some end goal i have in my life.  If it happens, great. If not, i'll be fine.
uziq
+492|3413
russia

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6670|England. Stoke
"Western media, propaganda" etc.
uziq
+492|3413
apparently they all knew it was an act, but it's a mystifyingly stupid thing to do at a robotics conference where you could, y'know, use an actual robot for a demonstration.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Do Russians have their own silly dances? Do they not know about the Fortnite dance?
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6583|Little Bentcock

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Do Russians have their own silly dances? Do they not know about the Fortnite dance?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
What can I have my kids watch the day before Christmas break? Whatever it is it absolutely cannot be about Christmas though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard