unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

One of the most exhausting things about all the fake news and miscaptions is having to point out that the thing your contact or relative or whoever sent you is fake news, miscaptioned, or whatever; why that is, and provide a source of proof that they won't instantly dismiss. An unwelcome workload foisted onto us, having to repeatedly walk people, who should ordinarily know better, through that stuff. And then you become the Bad Person for making them "feel embarrassed."

them: "But it says right here!"
me: *checks website for OANN and other UFO-blog influence* "This is old and fake and even the Republican politician it stumps for has wearily called it old and fake. Here's a link to their tweet about it."

What even is this blind spot anyway? Where do you go to get an off-switch installed in your brain for the cause? I swear I've had really interesting conversations about science, math, history, language, and so on with some of these people but man. Isn't one of the conservative rallying cries even "don't believe everything you hear in the media?" Master class of propaganda, I guess.

In fairness, this stuff also exists in liberal rags and posts.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

"We're not going to bend the knee to a bunch of woke execs in California," paraphrased DeSantis.

Very cringe. Here we are again, dragging out tired, ambiguous use of the word woke. Let's invoke Game of Thrones too, that'll get 'em nodding along.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

One of the most exhausting things about all the fake news and miscaptions is having to point out that the thing your contact or relative or whoever sent you is fake news, miscaptioned, or whatever; why that is, and provide a source of proof that they won't instantly dismiss. An unwelcome workload foisted onto us, having to repeatedly walk people, who should ordinarily know better, through that stuff. And then you become the Bad Person for making them "feel embarrassed."

them: "But it says right here!"
me: *checks website for OANN and other UFO-blog influence* "This is old and fake and even the Republican politician it stumps for has wearily called it old and fake. Here's a link to their tweet about it."

What even is this blind spot anyway? Where do you go to get an off-switch installed in your brain for the cause? I swear I've had really interesting conversations about science, math, history, language, and so on with some of these people but man. Isn't one of the conservative rallying cries even "don't believe everything you hear in the media?" Master class of propaganda, I guess.

In fairness, this stuff also exists in liberal rags and posts.
There's a lot of people at /r/QAnonCasualties that are having the same problem as you with trying to save their Conservative relatives from believing every little stupid, easily disprovable "fact" that they hear.  It's pretty sad how it was all relatively recent for them.  My grandad and uncles have been a lost cause for much longer than just during the Trump days, all thanks to Fox news and conservative talk radio spoonfeeding them predetermined opinions to have on things they don't actually know anything about for so long.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2022-04-09 18:50:50)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Have you ever considered maybe you have fallen for the liberal propaganda machine yourself?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
this is the media studies equivalent of 'the west did war crimes/illegal invasions too' whatabouttery.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I don't have the heart to read qa-casualties. My position though isn't as bad as the stuff I've heard about from there though. I am dealing with nobody in any of my circles right now who is defending the Russian invasion. Even my conservative contacts have their limits, I suppose.

Some people still get caught up by apolitical hoaxes. I've gotten one or two chainmailers about that "be on the lookout for scary new spider" or something a few years back that could have been disproven with five seconds on google search. People need to check before forwarding that stuff. I wish I could just say it's the older generations who forget sometimes that they have they're typing on the very tool they can use to fact check, but it's not just them.

@mac the valves on both definitely don't seem opened the same amount. way more right wing propaganda comes across my desk than left wing. some of the "left wing propaganda" is actually reported in propaganda form by right wing media.

left wing propaganda: republican lawmaker's ties to sex crime (alleged by anonymous tweet, clarified in paragraph 4)
right wing propaganda: the liberals are out to take your bathrooms, your guns, your bibles, and are lying to you about covid-19 and climate change
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Right wingers would argue that liberal propaganda doesn't take place on talk radio and cable news but instead in mainstream television/movies/music/magazines/newspapers/schools. They would argue that some of the fundamental beliefs you have about how "everyone should be treated equally", "it is okay to be gay", etc. Aren't actually true and instead the result of propaganda you received.

I obviously don't agree but I can accept that I live in my own bubble to some degree though I am much more willing to read the other side's views than most pig people.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Coming from a 90s and early aughts red background I understand a lot of their stuff just fine, from experience of it being presented by forerunners of the post-Reagan propaganda machine and conservative think tanks. And from many talks hence after I'd flipped blue. "Contemporary American conservatism" is itself a very much hypocritical bubble. "The government should have minimal interference in your life but here's all the little things that make us uncomfortable that it should intervene in." "Oh, but I'm a Libertarian, the Republicans are too liberal for me!"

Yes, it is certainly the liberal America that is living in the metaphorical bubble by comparison.

What even is the liberal equivalent of tinfoil hat Infowars? I'm not convinced there is one. For OAN and Newsmax and arguably some of Fox, the blues have, um, Occupy Democrats? Crooks & Liars? Quite mainstream, you know. Breitbart opposed by what, Jezebel? Otherwise MSNBC and CNN channels, HuffPo, Slate on the left are opposed by Reason, RCP, NYP, Nat'l Review.

There there's a lot of more/less reporting-focused leftish news sources to choose from. NBC, NYT, AJ-E, PBS, but a dearth of ones I can think of from the right, er, Christianity Today? The more or less centrist stuff they accuse of being far left (AP, Reuters probably at the top of the food chain of centrist fact-reporting), only appears that way from a far-right perspective. With this in mind, they cherry pick among the functionally American center, barely left and barely right reporting-focused ecosystem for their Good Sources and Bad Sources. CSM, Forbes, WSJ - these guys are ok. NYT, PBS, NPR - lol wow you really believe that (except when it's an article that agrees with them).

When you are linking to a conservative debate partner, it is important that you choose from the accepted right-skewing sources that, while still sometimes too liberal for their tastes, generally are less bent on opinion and unfair analysis. Deprived of a source, I doubt many could tell whether an article came from one of their approved or shunned outlets. I have had a few satisfying reveals that way when a conservative person has so vibed with the contents of an article and metaphorically I rip the sheet off revealing The Atlantic in all its fancy typeset.

Nuclear option: reveal that the very sensible person, who'd tweeted a suggestion that we follow specific journalists rather than outlets, is none other than AOC.

e: weird turn, one of the guys is super into AJ-E. Maybe it's the perception that they're divorced from the western media ecosystem (writer names like Nigel Wilson really suggest that!) and report with an outsider's perspective. The same notion comes into play when paying attention to RT.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-10 15:49:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Fox viewers transformed after watching CNN for 30 days, report finds

Fox News viewers who were paid to watch CNN for 30 days eventually became more skeptical and less likely to buy into fake news, according to a new study.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl … 50240.html

I thought it was important to at least be aware of other people's viewpoints, if you're not it leads to problems, the west was willfully ignorant of Putin's concerns about Ukraine, people like uziq were blindsided by Brexit, etc etc

At various time I used to read all the newspapers and watch many of the news channels, it helps you learn how to spot propaganda.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

CNN TV is definitely more of an analytical channel than Fox TV. A run-of-the-mill Fox-enjoyer is used to selective and unfair content specializing in manipulating a viewer's emotions. Their minds are, in unflattering analogy, stretched and receptive much like the weary orifices of a jumbo dildo enjoyer. It would stand to reason that those avenues would be open to alternative content with enough exposure, especially a source in similar vein to Fox. From there I imagine some of these viewers could be worked up to consuming actual fact-reporting and long form articles from sources like NY/L Review of Books.

Between TV and web Fox, TV is definitely more of the mental junk food. If you must baby-steps a Fox brain, steer them away from Fox & Friends and the usual anchors/shows like Tucker and send them the generally better written Fox articles that they'd be open to reading for the namesake. It might be the best you could do for them for the time being.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whats interesting is how the Murdoch tabloid papers and TV channels segue seamlessly between actual news, celebrity gossip and propaganda.
They've been doing it for years, I'm sure its a strategy carefully designed to keep the morons mentally punch-drunk and off-balance as they soak up Murdoch's worldview.

"TerroristattackKardashiansLiberalsinflationKanyetrickledownschoolshootingParisHiltonmuh2ndamendmentwildfiresWillSmithslapwarmingisamyth" etc etc

When you've seen it you can't unsee it.

No wonder the average moron can't distinguish fantasy from reality, buys into bitcoins and NFTs etc
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I mean, if you're literally drowning your target demographic in content output, it should be pretty simple to slide whatever you want into the mix. Trump could honestly tweet whatever he wants and dilute it with six unrelated tweets in one day. Too exhausting to keep up with.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-10 22:42:22)

uziq
+492|3451

Dilbert_X wrote:

I thought it was important to at least be aware of other people's viewpoints, if you're not it leads to problems, the west was willfully ignorant of Putin's concerns about Ukraine, people like uziq were blindsided by Brexit, etc etc

At various time I used to read all the newspapers and watch many of the news channels, it helps you learn how to spot propaganda.
blindsided by brexit. my own parents and grandparents voted for brexit. i don't think any young person in the UK is unawares of the generational divides of political outlook and opinion. i was LIVING in the country in the run-up to the brexit vote. everyone was talking about it, within households and in the pub. but, yes, i was 'blindsided' and you were super smarts because you were reading 3 papers in australia. you sure understood it better than the british person, living in britain, who voted in the referendum.

what i pointed out repeatedly in the brexit discussions was the misinformation, lying and mendacity of the vote leave campaign. i said they won by extremely shady means and basically premised on lies and duping the people. and YOU here YOURSELF have been posting, over the years, oodles of links that confirms this view: you just posted a fucking link suggesting the brexit team were self-interested capitalist profiteers ffs. THAT WAS MY POINT ABOUT THE ROTTEN DEBACLE all along. 'blindsided'.

amazing. you read a few sources so you're trained to spot propaganda when you see it! but the person with 2.5 degrees in literary studies and, you know, analysing media, the person who works in a career where tailoring messages and communications is part of the core skillset ... hasn't a clue when it comes to propaganda! oh no! i don't know how to read something and think about its author, its context, its subtext, etc, at all. it's not like that's what a fucking english degree even is. hahah

you really outdo yourself sometimes. you're like a little child who has never left his parents' coddling and has started to take their 'number one son' stuff seriously to heart. brilliant little dilbert!

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-10 23:44:54)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

not only would most british people never vote for BoJo as PM, even fewer would vote for a politician campaigning on a hard brexit 'no deal' platform. absolutely shocking.

i give him until september unless he makes a drastic about-face and goes back on his election platform.
Boris Johnson secured an emphatic victory in the U.K. election held Thursday, with the Prime Minister’s Conservative Party winning a majority of seats in Parliament and a mandate to fulfill its campaign pledge of “Getting Brexit Done.”

The result suggests the paralysis in British politics over Brexit is set to come to an end.

It removes the parliamentary obstacles to Johnson delivering on his pledge to take Britain out of the European Union by Jan. 31 or sooner, and entering the next stage of Brexit negotiations, on trade, which would formalize the divorce.
https://time.com/5748850/uk-election-result-2019/

Erm seems your judgement of how "most British people" think is very wide of the mark.
I guess taking drugs at raves didn't really help you connect with the average person.
uziq
+492|3451
but people didn't vote for a 'no deal' hard brexit, did they? that was entirely down to, uh, 2 years of political machinations and 2/3 prime ministers AFTER the vote. people voted for boris on a 'get brexit done' platform because they were absolutely sick of the issue and tired of the boring details, not because they all had a raging ideological hard-on for the most extreme form of brexit possible.

seems your presentation of events is just as dishonest and mendacious as the brexit cronies themselves.

I guess taking drugs at raves didn't really help you connect with the average person

you have covid. your brain is in a far worse state than mine. you practically have dementia already. it's science, after all. covid is a scary brain condition.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-11 00:07:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but people didn't vote for a 'no deal' hard brexit, did they? that was entirely down to, uh, 2 years of political machinations and 2/3 prime ministers AFTER the vote. people voted for boris on a 'get brexit done' platform because they were absolutely sick of the issue and tired of the boring details, not because they all had a raging ideological hard-on for the most extreme form of brexit possible.
You're still making presumptions about what people voted for when you have no actual idea and all your predictions have been wrong.

Amazing.
uziq
+492|3451
i think i have a better idea considering ... i was in the UK the entire time, have a family who live almost entirely in the UK, have a social life, a workplace, etc, in the UK.

you left the country decades ago and think you 'understand the british people'. extremely smart.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I predicted Brexit would go through and it would be a hard brexit, who is the idiot here?
uziq
+492|3451
we ended up with hard brexit because of a failure of political process, 2-3 grinding years of intervening events, actually. it had nothing to do with the sentiments of the british people.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/640/cpsprodpb/8C4B/production/_109251953_curtice_01_fin-nc.png

if you think you understand the british people emotionally, why not check one of the most recent opinion polls on brexit? doesn't paint the picture of a nation of racists committed to hard brexit, as you keep on fancying it.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2021-02-02/Remain%20vs%20Rejoin%20EU%20topline-01.png

you and your 'special touch' of understanding with that totally rational, transparent entity, 'the great british people'!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Apparently you need help with graphs, in 2019 of the people who supported brexit the majority wanted no deal, and leave was ahead at 46% compared with 34% for remain.
Some people have changed their mind, but 2021 is in the past now.

It was pretty fucking obvious that no deal was Johnson's plan and he won a landslide. Adapt your thinking from there.

Just think, if Israel hadn't nobbled Corbyn you might still be fast asleep and about to wake up from a horrible dream.

Besides that your consistent determination to be wrong made me donate $135 to IFAW/Ukraine
I think my UK cat's vet did work for them and he (my cat) would have approved.
uziq
+492|3451
in 2019 the 'leave' campaign were split between those at that point wanting a no-deal and 2 groups who wanted a variant of a deal.

just as many people didn't know as wanted no deal. yet you're here claiming that brexit was pursued with zeal by the british people because they all felt so passionately about the extreme exit option? lol. sure looks like it.

it was not obvious that no deal was johnson's plan at all. again, you are being mendacious in order to rewrite a history of mendacity. johnson himself said several times that no deal would be a disaster. he was promising the world to the northern irish over their border question whilst at the very same time hurting their chances of ever finding an amenable deal. it was absolutely NOT an explicit campaign for a no-deal brexit from the start. why are you being so fucking dishonest about this?

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-11 00:35:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well the "don't knows" probably didn't vote so they don't matter.

"More people didn't vote than voted for Johnson = election invalid!"

I don't think you understand how optional voting works TBH.

It was obvious to any observer that no-deal was Johnson's end game.
uziq
+492|3451
obvious to any observer LMAO. that must be why half of his cabinet resigned as the process wore on, hmm?
Larssen
+99|1887
Nobody had a clue of what brexit entailed beyond stupid slogans. It's safe to say though that those who headed the campaign equated it to a 'clean break'.

Half the cabinet only resigned after they came to understand the extent to which the UK's political/economic/social/legal reality was intertwined with the EU and just how much legislation underpinned it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard