mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
Tiger King, Making a Murderer
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

i've never used netflix. what the hell is there on netflix?
A vast library of television shows and movies as well as new an ever increasing amount of original Netflix content including: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Story, Narcos, and the summer hit Tiger King.

Use the coupon code "Macbeth" when signing up for a free first month.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3423
netflix just seems to be landfill amounts of very bad trash television and formerly straight-to-video movies that rightfully should have never been made.

i don't really watch tv. it cuts into my bf2s time.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Youtube is a lot better than anything on T.V. Youtube is where you can see this story of child abuse.
Larssen
+99|1858
America is a weird place.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Youtube is a lot better than anything on T.V. Youtube is where you can see this story of child abuse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmau1cM5TU
I have a friend who does not believe AIDS is real. He gains all his knowledge on YouTube.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have a friend who does not believe AIDS is real. He gains all his knowledge on YouTube.
AIDS was created by the pharmaceutical companies to enslave humanity on a permanent pill consumption schedule.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
i do watch a fair amount of trash on youtube. just random stuff. lots of norm macdonald content. lots of content of people talking about gear, music production, etc. i can see how people waste a lot of time on it. that's probably what i do instead of gawping at whatever 6-series show netflix is currently serving up.

if there's ever been a 'big' must-see show on netflix, i've just used my gf's account in the past. can't remember the last time that was. 'wild country'? was it even called that? the documentary about the indian guru in the states. bill callahan-based name and theme tune. it was ok. i really can't justify paying a monthly subscription for that.

i subscribe to MUBI and BFI player. both good for movies. MUBI has a rotating 'schedule' with a fixed number of films. it's basically pre-curated and films rotate off every few weeks. encourages me to watch new stuff and to actually make use of it. BFI is more typical. you can watch most of fellini's movies on there, for instance, as i did recently, in glorious digitized/remastered/restored versions. great for pretending to know about italian neorealism!!

e: oh i just remembered that ken burns puts his stuff on netflix. but i've always watched his stuff elsewhere, it's uploaded everywhere.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-22 15:13:29)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I once donated some books. I looked at the books that were in there and one of them was "The Christian Response to AIDS". I put it in the garbage and washed my hands.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i do watch a fair amount of trash on youtube. just random stuff. lots of norm macdonald content. lots of content of people talking about gear, music production, etc. i can see how people waste a lot of time on it. that's probably what i do instead of gawping at whatever 6-series show netflix is currently serving up.

if there's ever been a 'big' must-see show on netflix, i've just used my gf's account in the past. can't remember the last time that was. 'wild country'? was it even called that? the documentary about the indian guru in the states. bill callahan-based name and theme tune. it was ok. i really can't justify paying a monthly subscription for that.

i subscribe to MUBI and BFI player. both good for movies. MUBI has a rotating 'schedule' with a fixed number of films. it's basically pre-curated and films rotate off every few weeks. encourages me to watch new stuff and to actually make use of it. BFI is more typical. you can watch most of fellini's movies on there, for instance, as i did recently, in glorious digitized/remastered/restored versions. great for pretending to know about italian neorealism!!
I don't believe anyone cares about anything in this post.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

AIDS was created by the pharmaceutical companies to enslave humanity on a permanent pill consumption schedule.
Thats literally his position and it has been for 10 years. Yesterday he told me that OCD, ADD and ADHD are scams. Keep in mind he is not making a nuanced argument about the classification of children and drug regimens prescribed. He legitimately thinks these conditions are made up.
uziq
+492|3423
do you think people care that you nutted in your wife again and are going to have another prognathous child?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The problem with youtube is how you can go down this rabbit hole of extremist content pretty quickly. You look at one anti-social justice video and suddenly your recommendations if filled with more anti-SJW stuff. An endless supply of it. And that's not my thing. Twitter seems to have the same problem. If I get linked a twitter comment from /r/syriancivilwar, I will see at the bottom of the page twitter recommending me a bunch of other random tweets. Often they are extremist. And not my flavor of extremist either.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Thats literally his position and it has been for 10 years. Yesterday he told me that OCD, ADD and ADHD are scams. Keep in mind he is not making a nuanced argument about the classification of children and drug regimens prescribed. He legitimately thinks these conditions are made up.
eh, ADD and ADHD are over diagnosed. Boys just have too much energy to sit still for 8 hours of instruction.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
what school-day involves 8 hours of sitting still for lessons? isn't it more like 6? with frequent breaks? and physical activity?

you have like the stock repertoire of complaints of a grumbling boomer.

do you only trust your own personal physician and regard everything else in medicine with suspicion or something?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

what school-day involves 8 hours of sitting still for lessons? isn't it more like 6? with frequent breaks? and physical activity?

do you only trust your own personal physician and regard everything else in medicine with suspicion or something?
They've cut back on recess and physical education classes in order to carve out more classroom time due to standardized testing.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
18 years from now the generation of students in K-12 today are going to have elevated levels of derp due to COVID closing schools. I am still not sure if they are going to reopen in September.
uziq
+492|3423

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

They've cut back on recess and physical education classes in order to carve out more classroom time due to standardized testing.
that sounds grossly inefficient. finland has the best schools in the world. imitate them.

sounds like you're heading more in the other direction towards chinese cram schools. i thought america prided itself on creating free-thinking problem solvers?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

that sounds grossly inefficient. finland has the best schools in the world. imitate them.

sounds like you're heading more in the other direction towards chinese cram schools. i thought america prided itself on creating free-thinking problem solvers?
I agree. I think the Finnish example is damn near perfect.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

By law schools need to provide a daily amount of physical education. Outdoor recess getting reduced has more to do with security and safety than it has to do with standardized testing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
No, with Common Core, they've removed all creativity from the learning process. At least before, when they focused on the result, you could take some creative paths to reach the desired result. With Common Core they are now dictating the processes and creating uniformity. Everyone is to arrive at X answer by following scripted path containing step 1, 2 and 3. Any deviation is incorrect.

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-22 15:37:32)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Common core is only in regards to Math and English. The rest of school still works like it did when we were children. Common core criticism seems to have to do more with parents not understanding their kids homework (because they are retards) and being upset than it does anything else. A bunch of Karen's than complain about Social Justice Warrior Math.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I can understand the homework, I just have a fundamental disagreement with dictating processes.

When I was a kid, the way I learned to multiply by 9's was to first multiply by 10 and then subtract 9. So in my mind I would do 9 x 10 - 9 = 81. This is an indirect way of getting the answer, but it is mathematically correct. They went away from rote memorization and instead moved to a process focused way of teaching. They'll ask you what 9 x 9 is and then expect everyone to do a number line or to cite some other method rather than just marking you correct or incorrect on what 9 x 9 actually is. The method for arriving at the answer is in actuality, trivial, but they've now made it the focus for some reason. Memorization, for all the pain it caused, is actually quite useful. It saves a lot of time when you can do simple math like that easily in your head.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Having kids show how they got their answer seems important in the age of smart devices. When I was a kid and had math homework, they never ever let you get away with not showing your work and just putting an answer down.

But whatever. This really isn't my topic. I don't like math. I am not good at it. If I was good at math, I would have majored in economics and got a real career that will get outsourced to China.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

No, with Common Core, they've removed all creativity from the learning process. At least before, when they focused on the result, you could take some creative paths to reach the desired result. With Common Core they are now dictating the processes and creating uniformity. Everyone is to arrive at X answer by following scripted path containing step 1, 2 and 3. Any deviation is incorrect.
In France everyone has to have identical handwriting.

I don't think letting kids be creative in rigourous subjects makes any sense.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard