Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

yet again, can you justify why 'people hate poles'?
I don't have to justify it, the average person is xenophobic, the average ant is xenophobic,  you still can't rationalise it because it doesn't fit with the worldview you've been indoctrinated with.
the slogan of european multiculturalism was very much taken from france's 'modèle républicain d'intégration', the key-word being integration, not balkanization.
France is a nice example, with Marine Le Pen getting 1/3 of the vote in the last election.

Whoever picked NYC as a great example of assimilation/integration didn't make a great pick. Not when the Italians are living in enclaves and talking and behaving as if they're extras in a godfather film and indoctrinating their kids in a peasant sect, not when the jews are dressing and living as they would in a medieval ghetto, speaking their own language, eating their own food, running their own police force, not marrying outside their own ethnic group, same for the Irish etc.

Multiculturalism doesn't work because no-one wants it. Its inherent to want to be part of a clan, self-isolate and fight the other clans for territory and dominance. All your ranting and posturing isn't going to change it.

you have to pander to their ingrained prejudices, otherwise you're a 'snob'.
multiculturalism has failed and it's all the fault of the immigrants, not the small-town yokels
You're a snob, get over it.
Most jews have assimilated. Hasidic are weird and have not. Italians have assimilated, Irish, 2nd and 3rd generation asians and hispanics too. Off the boat asians end up in flushing, queens. New York is actually a good example. The only people still living apart are black people, hasidic and 1st generation asians and Russians.

Lots of intermarriage. We're all mutts.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

i've seen absolutely zero to put me in the wrong for calling xenophobia out for being xenophobia. /shrug
Xenophobia is the normal state of affairs, have a read through world history.
Indifference and apathy are the normal state of affairs. Xenophobia only comes from those in power when they wish to take from other powerful people and need to whip up support so people volunteer to die for said power grab. People hate when they're scared. The powerful use fear to control.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i think i'm a little more familiar than you with world history, thanks.

if you think human beings went to war because of 'xenophobia' then i really suggest you read some world history.

start with the recent conflicts of the 20th century, they'll come with pictures if you're lucky and won't tax your poor overheating head.

and wow, amazing evidence for your theory ... people enjoy games, grouping up in teams and competing against other players in games ... the games have guns ... it's white people versus brown arabs ... wow you're really getting at something here. that sure scotches all the pesky science that contradicts your view!

trying to justify hating muslims in the UK, in 2020, because 'it's human evolution and instinct' is pseudo-scientific bollocks of the highest order. it's really that simple. 'i'm sorry, i can't help being rude to strangers and ignorant of their culture, it's in my nature and we've been like this for 20,000 years'. lmao.
He is right to an extent. We are all tribal. It's how we evolved. It's why people join groups outside of their family. To feel. To belong. And it's why people are so easily manipulated once they feel part of a group. It becomes their identity, and identities are nearly impossible to shake once assumed. Ask any addict.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Xenophobia is instinctive, its always there. Worse when its whipped up but its never not going to be present.

I'm sure studies have been done but I'd guess once an immigrant population reaches ~5% and starts thinking it can throw its weight around the natives start getting restless and throwing rocks through windows.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

i think i'm a little more familiar than you with world history, thanks.

if you think human beings went to war because of 'xenophobia' then i really suggest you read some world history.

start with the recent conflicts of the 20th century, they'll come with pictures if you're lucky and won't tax your poor overheating head.

and wow, amazing evidence for your theory ... people enjoy games, grouping up in teams and competing against other players in games ... the games have guns ... it's white people versus brown arabs ... wow you're really getting at something here. that sure scotches all the pesky science that contradicts your view!

trying to justify hating muslims in the UK, in 2020, because 'it's human evolution and instinct' is pseudo-scientific bollocks of the highest order. it's really that simple. 'i'm sorry, i can't help being rude to strangers and ignorant of their culture, it's in my nature and we've been like this for 20,000 years'. lmao.
He is right to an extent. We are all tribal. It's how we evolved. It's why people join groups outside of their family. To feel. To belong. And it's why people are so easily manipulated once they feel part of a group. It becomes their identity, and identities are nearly impossible to shake once assumed. Ask any addict.
er jay i think drug addicts struggle to stop having the identity of drug addicts because they are ... chemically addicted and dependent ... on a drug. not because they are attached to the ‘tribal belonging’ aspect. what you are describing is the psychological co-dependency of desperate people, or people who’ve been in the gutter so long that they don’t know how to conceive of themselves in straight life. it has nothing to do with tribalism, and absolutely fuck all to do with our tens of thousands of years-long development as a species.

this is exactly my point. people use some vague concept from ‘evolution’ or appeal to our ‘tribal beginnings’ and act as if there’s a sublimated Krang beneath every action we do. it would be laughed at by a psychologist, laughed at by an anthropologist, laughed at by a historian. just in the same way as victorians justified their own behaviour and societal attitudes as being ‘darwinian’ and about the ‘survival of the fittest’, in was in fact an imperial winner-takes-all ideology merely massaging its ideology into a vaguely scientific-sounding shape.

now, yes, obviously we are all group-based and social animals. yes, obviously we all have identities that are important to our senses of self. i’m not denying that xenophobia and fear of the Other have been present, or rather used and deployed, in major conflicts; dehumanising and portraying the guys in the next trench or on the next hill as ‘not us’ is a basic psychological mechanism. and, as you rightly say, leaders and nationalists are quick to weaponise xenophobia and stoke fear of the Other in the papers and press when they need to find young boys to go off and die for their bidding. but to say that xenophobia is a substantial ‘cause’ or that fearing everyone is ‘the default’ because of ‘evolution’, is pseudo-scientific woo.

NYC is a melting pot. ancient cities were melting pots. there were bronze age melting pots. human beings have co-existed side-by-side, inter-marrying and engaging in peaceful trade, for as long as we have gone to war and put up walls. the point is that you can cherrypick any image from 20,000 years of history or the long eons of evolutionary time. it’s lazy and it’s intellectually fraudulent. dilbert is basically appealing to the way early hominids went around bashing each other on the head and hooting at neanderthals to justify his own revulsion of ... Polish people? get a fucking grip!

not only is it terrible science, it’s also pathetically deterministic. insofar as we do have in-built irrationalities and animal instincts, the triumph of modern civilisation has lain in how we have sublimated these things to come together and achieve higher forms of social organization. human beings have evidently been able to put their reptilian brains on ice in order to crawl out of the fucking encircled-wagons phase of society (i would liked to have seen behind closed doors at dilbert's version of los alamos, or the space program). dilbert rallies against religious superstition and ‘irrational’ thought when it doesn’t suit him; we should really move on from silly superstitions, apparently; but oh, it’s okay to be a nationalist and a bigot ‘because it’s our nature’.

it’s fucking bollocks and anyone can see through it.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 01:31:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Seems to me we've spent a lot more time fighting than cooperating.

uziq wrote:

what the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?
In a fight between 10 Uziques and one Sh1fty - my money would be on Sh1fty.
uziq
+492|3450
dilbert, this line of argument where you brag about having big forearms from holding revolvers (and not whacking off for 30 years in your mum's basement), and now compare me to shifty and question my physical build, is  ... pretty fucking out there. omg i can't believe i am being compared to shifty

make a fucking point. read a book.

you're a type on the internet, a tabloid-reading, narrow-minded coward who convinces himself he's a 'scientific realist' to justify his prejudices. it's funny how quick you are to skip over actual science, ignore actual scientists, and avoid putting in the earnest leg-work of reading history or anthropology to substantiate your claims. no, a few vague notions of 'pessimistic objectivity' should carry you through. you're more pathetic than the young and callow jay latching on to inflated-sounding randian terms. even he's put that edgy talk behind him.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 01:29:46)

uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

Like I said, you can't rationalise it but thats the way every country has been and is reverting to.
can't wait for dilbert to put on a frock and turn up for vespers.

seems to me we've been religious for much more of our history as a species than secular. hopefully this godless blip will be rectified.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 02:00:49)

uziq
+492|3450
imagine living in australia, the world's youngest democracy and one of its most pluralistic and egalitarian, and thinking that multiculturalism is an 'inevitable failure'. imagine being a recent immigrant to a country which has quite literally been built by incoming migrants, mixing together in a melting pot of nation-building, and thinking that 'human beings aren't meant to mix'.

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/about/ne … ulturalism

Surveys have shown that public acceptance of multiculturalism has been consistently high. The 2015 Mapping Social Cohesion survey, for example, found that 86 per cent of Australians agree that multiculturalism has been good for the country. This level of agreement has been constant for the past three years.[1]
"sorry, seems the rest of your country disagrees with you and your wishful thinking" etc etc etc Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 02:57:51)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

I don't have to justify it, the average person is xenophobic, the average ant is xenophobic,  you still can't rationalise it because it doesn't fit with the worldview you've been indoctrinated with.
the slogan of european multiculturalism was very much taken from france's 'modèle républicain d'intégration', the key-word being integration, not balkanization.
France is a nice example, with Marine Le Pen getting 1/3 of the vote in the last election.

Whoever picked NYC as a great example of assimilation/integration didn't make a great pick. Not when the Italians are living in enclaves and talking and behaving as if they're extras in a godfather film and indoctrinating their kids in a peasant sect, not when the jews are dressing and living as they would in a medieval ghetto, speaking their own language, eating their own food, running their own police force, not marrying outside their own ethnic group, same for the Irish etc.

Multiculturalism doesn't work because no-one wants it. Its inherent to want to be part of a clan, self-isolate and fight the other clans for territory and dominance. All your ranting and posturing isn't going to change it.

you have to pander to their ingrained prejudices, otherwise you're a 'snob'.
multiculturalism has failed and it's all the fault of the immigrants, not the small-town yokels
Most jews have assimilated. Hasidic are weird and have not. Italians have assimilated, Irish, 2nd and 3rd generation asians and hispanics too. Off the boat asians end up in flushing, queens. New York is actually a good example. The only people still living apart are black people, hasidic and 1st generation asians and Russians.

Can you please explain what counts as "assimilation"? I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding among the three of you because you each have your own definition of "assimilation".

And again I will say that the Irish and Italian assimilation models won't work for racial minorities. Hispanics and Asians here for generations still don't get the fundamental respect those other groups get. Black Americans are also more American than Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, Irish Americans, and Italian Americans. A lot of good that does them.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Assimilation and integration have somewhat fluid definitions.
uziq
+492|3450
check the link i posted to the australian gov website. it has a good history of multiculturalism and the different models of assimilation, the french model, the german model, the australian model, etc. it's exactly what i was saying in response to jay earlier, that to say 'multiculturalism' in any way 'aims' to create ethnic ghettos is just wrong. my preferred interpretation is the french model, where everyone is simultaneously a citizen and equal in public life, but has a private sphere in which the state/public have no say with regards to their preferred religion/dress/language/etc. it's integration without forcing people to give up the customs which form their original identity.

it's amazing to me that you can admit that assimilation is a fluid, nuanced, multi-faceted thing, but can also say that any attempts at it are 'doomed to fail'.

obviously there have been manifest failures and drawbacks to multiculturalism taken as a whole, some countries have implemented much better policies than others, some countries have different economies based on different job sectors, different differentials of wealth, different distributions of work/housing geographically, etc. it's a vastly complex issue and there's many factors which combine to create northern ex-industrial towns full of under-employed ex-colonials.

to say that the whole idea is dumb, doomed to failure, should be rolled back, etc. just seems to me to be idiotically reactionary. countries with complex imperial pasts, post-colonial heritages, huge groups of subjects in the case of an empire/commonwealth who demand some form of legal recognition, etc. obviously cannot ignore that their societies have changed in nature to absorb (not to say exploit) many different religions and races. ditto, the changing nature of the globalised market of both goods and labour means that you can't just preserve perfect, homeostatic little ethno-states. under global capitalism labour, just like information, wants to be free to move around wherever the opportunities lie. protectionism is a complete dead-end unless you want to also radically tip the economy and people's standard of living.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 06:18:45)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
France has ethnic ghettos and a radicalization problem. I wouldn't hold their system up as the ideal.
uziq
+492|3450
it's their model of an integrated citizen i was referring to, not the state of the banlieus. there is obviously a lot more to achieving assimilation than the legal framework of its citizens and their rights to practice private religion. like, for instance, meaningful job opportunities and an actual means to achieving a bourgeois standard of living.

there are also integrated neighbourhoods but i guess you're less interested in hearing about that. you should spend an afternoon walking around montmartre.

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 06:22:14)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Can you please explain what counts as "assimilation"? I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding among the three of you because you each have your own definition of "assimilation".

And again I will say that the Irish and Italian assimilation models won't work for racial minorities. Hispanics and Asians here for generations still don't get the fundamental respect those other groups get. Black Americans are also more American than Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, Irish Americans, and Italian Americans. A lot of good that does them.
Sure they do. When they 'act white' i.e. they've adopted the traits and mannerisms of the middle class, everyone gets along fine without prejudice. The ones that have accents and cultures associated with poverty do not fare as well. Your stereotypical Puerto Rican with big hoop earrings, loud, and with a trashy Bronx accent will be discriminated against. No doubt about it. If she ditches her 'cultural identity' she likely won't be. You know it's true too, because it comes across in every comment you make about your black students. Same goes for white trash.

Last edited by Jay (2020-02-18 06:27:24)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450
i mean, yeah, the fact that working-class white people face the same discrimination perhaps suggests that 'multiculturalism' isn't the root problem here. perhaps it's a case of the ruling-class culture being the problem, and needing to become more inclusive?

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 06:30:06)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i mean, yeah, the fact that working-class white people face the same discrimination perhaps suggests that 'multiculturalism' isn't the root problem here. perhaps it's a case of the ruling-class culture being the problem, and needing to become more inclusive?
No. Trust is built between strangers when they share a common culture. I know that middle class culture is suffocating to bohemians and others, but when I meet someone from a similar background to me, I know what to expect to a large degree. I know that if they give me their word they will try to comply for the most part. When you try to widen the circle of acceptable behaviors and cultures, you introduce factors that diminish trust, rendering the whole thing moot.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450
right, so you couldn't trust someone to keep their word (or, you know, sign a contract) because they have a bronx accent.

also do bohemians even exist anymore?

Last edited by uziq (2020-02-18 06:41:49)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
The exaggerated mannerisms of blacks that annoy me are American cultural traits. They are not imported from Africa owing to the fact that black Americans have no idea what countries their ancestors came from.

That was my point about them being the most American. If they converted to Roman Catholicism that would in fact be a step away from their American heritage which is Protestant.

I would further point out that stereotypical Puerto Rican behavior is picked up from the blacks in which they lived close by in NYC, NJ, and Chicago. That would make it also more American than say a Puerto Rican who watches soccer and bull fighting to be more like the Iberians.

Overall I feel like racial minorities trying to " be American" is a game they can't win. Probably the same with an Arab in France or Germany. That is one reason why I like Catholicism so much. The Catholic Church accepts all.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

right, so you couldn't trust someone to keep their word (or, you know, sign a contract) because they have a bronx accent.

also do bohemians even exist anymore?
Yes, they have money and live in multi-million dollar brownstones now though.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450
https://i.redd.it/nxxciz951ph41.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
You got any Banksy?
uziq
+492|3450
a new one just went up about 1.5 miles from my place actually. then it got scrubbed over.

the above mural is from the train station in the neighbourhood where the latest banksy turned up.

nobody local really cares about banksy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

check the link i posted to the australian gov website. it has a good history of multiculturalism and the different models of assimilation, the french model, the german model, the australian model, etc. it's exactly what i was saying in response to jay earlier, that to say 'multiculturalism' in any way 'aims' to create ethnic ghettos is just wrong. my preferred interpretation is the french model, where everyone is simultaneously a citizen and equal in public life, but has a private sphere in which the state/public have no say with regards to their preferred religion/dress/language/etc. it's integration without forcing people to give up the customs which form their original identity.
Australia is a bit different, immigrants are expected to integrate or fuck off. If they start throwing their weight around they get stomped on pretty hard.
There are other surveys which show Australians expect people to keep their religion and views to themselves.

The last three elections have been won on platforms of blocking bogus refugees, crimping immigration and stripping foreign born criminals of their citizenship, and lately of blocking ISIS fighters from returning.

Australia has been very lucky in not having a major terrorist attack, many have been stopped in the late stages. If and when it happens there will be a backlash.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Dilbert_X wrote:

Australia is a bit different, immigrants are expected to integrate or fuck off. If they start throwing their weight around they get stomped on pretty hard.
I have little sympathy for the Australian aboriginals. Did they build anything there before the Europeans showed up?

Did they build any Pyramids? Did they eat people? You are allowed to eat people if you build pyramids to do it at.

https://www.history.com/.image/ar_16:9%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cg_faces:center%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_768/MTY3Mjg3NzY3MTQ1OTE2MjI1/pyramids-in-latin-america-gettyimages-1137939493.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard