KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I woke up today to an email telling me a) my tee time reservation was cancelled because the course was overbooked and b) my bank was now going to charge me $25/month for each account I have open (total 3) unless i carried at least $15K combined in all three accounts.

I went nerd hulk mode and got a free voucher for a round of 4 at the golf course and my 3 accounts with that particular bank were put back on VIP status.  I was angry but now am as cool as the other side of the pillow.
uziq
+492|3450

SuperJail Warden wrote:

An alligator ate a 2 year old in Florida.
canine ate seven sick five year olds
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

High score crushed by humans.
CC-Marley
+407|6827

SuperJail Warden wrote:

An alligator ate a 2 year old in Florida.
Didn't eat him but did attack and drown him while he played by himself at night in the water.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone
A crocodile ate a 46 year old kiwi a week ago. I didn't realise these stories were news worthy.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I just caught a 6 foot snake in front of my office.  All those survival shows i've been watching have been instructional

I'm sure androo would have been proud
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3958|SL,UT

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I'm sure androo would have been proud
i'm sure androo would have been pissed another mate got away . . .
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

oh noes people that aren't the same nationality as me is buying property, what will i ever do.
yeah if there's one thing I've been on this forum, it's consistently xenophobic

New York is one of the most expensive places to live.  An inordinate amount of new housing is focused on building super high end apartment towers.  This lowers the overall amount of affordable housing for residents.  Unfortunately, not everyone in NY has a high paying job and can afford living where they work. In fact, a study was just recently released showing that something like 40% of housing has slightly decreased in median value, while the remaining 60% has increased (continuing a trend).  The 40% that slightly decreased?  The most expensive 40% of housing.

But hey, you're a dumbass who can only regurgitate what you read or other people tell you, so I shouldn't be surprised.
And 20 years from now when those apartments are no longer new, they will start making their way down the food chain. The best way to combat high housing costs? Move the jobs to the suburbs. But companies care more about zip codes than even the arrivisti do.
yes, $95M penthouses will eventually become the slums of Manhattan!

Or not.
uziq
+492|3450
it's not like manhattan and the rows adjoining central park were ever accessible to the poor or ever will be
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

no, and they aren't really accessible to the middle class either.  But the idea that the most expensive 40% of housing in NY will somehow magically depreciate into something the middle class can afford is a laughable argument.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

no, and they aren't really accessible to the middle class either.  But the idea that the most expensive 40% of housing in NY will somehow magically depreciate into something the middle class can afford is a laughable argument.
You could've bought a brownstone in Brooklyn for a quarter million or so fifteen years ago, which was originally built for the upper middle class during the Victorian Age. Now they cost 2 million+. Ebb and flow.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
No kennings, you don't have to wait 100 years. What you could do, that all these whiny reporters don't do, is cave to the reality of their salary and live in a less desirable zip code. There are cheap places to live in and around NYC - and they don't even have crime! But they're not popular or somewhere you can brag about, so the rent is much cheaper.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You could've bought a brownstone in Brooklyn for a quarter million or so fifteen years ago, which was originally built for the upper middle class during the Victorian Age. Now they cost 2 million+. Ebb and flow.
hmm? upper middle class families can afford a $2ml mortgage.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

the article is behind WSJ paywall, but my argument was that housing is getting more expensive except for the top 40% of housing, which is actually decreasing (albeit marginally).

I couldn't care less about whiny reporters.  I do have a problem with rich people (including extremely wealthy foreigners) driving up the cost of home real estate and pulling the majority of the building permits at the expense of the less wealthy who actually have to work in the city.

Can't afford to live where you work?  Get another job and/or move! It's that simple!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

the article is behind WSJ paywall, but my argument was that housing is getting more expensive except for the top 40% of housing, which is actually decreasing (albeit marginally).

I couldn't care less about whiny reporters.  I do have a problem with rich people (including extremely wealthy foreigners) driving up the cost of home real estate and pulling the majority of the building permits at the expense of the less wealthy who actually have to work in the city.

Can't afford to live where you work?  Get another job and/or move! It's that simple!
The only problem I have with the high end real estate market is that the new buildings keep getting property tax exemptions for the first ten years or so. That shit needs to stop. Forcing developers to create twenty "affordable" units in a building with 200 in exchange for tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue is fucking insane.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I am glad you guys finally agree that gentrification is a serious issue that needs to be dealt with in a considerate manner.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
If you had a day or 2 to kill in Charlotte NC, what would you do?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am glad you guys finally agree that gentrification is a serious issue that needs to be dealt with in a considerate manner.
I've been railing against gentrification since before you started posting.  But sure, it's YOUR issue.

DrunkFace wrote:

Do you golf? They have some really nice courses out there.  I've heard the downtown area is really nice too.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
I did golf, but it must be 8 years since I lost my last ball in the woods.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I've been railing against gentrification since before you started posting.  But sure, it's YOUR issue.

DrunkFace wrote:

Do you golf? They have some really nice courses out there.  I've heard the downtown area is really nice too.
I have argued about it with you. You were supportive of it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

you're wrong
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Nope.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I am aware of the positions and worldview I hold. I have never been in broad favor of gentrification.

You didn't even read or remember a link you provided less than a week ago.  Your memory is not as good as you think.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

Drive to Charleston, SC
-Frederick Bastiat
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3958|SL,UT

DrunkFace wrote:

I did golf, but it must be 8 years since I lost my last ball in the woods.
you*re getting better i see.

DrunkFace wrote:

golf.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard