KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Yes I did. Thank god I wasn't a woman. I know you have a thing for mentally ill women. You would have tried to hook up with me or something. Weirdo.
yeah for sure.  It's kinda my thing. Mentally ill women.  Wanna hang out my passenger side tonight as I drive by the psych ward?  I'm sure there are some asians in there for you.  Or i may just try to pull a move on you.  Depends on if my adolescent homoerotic thoughts manifest.
I would totally airlock a few Asians with you. It might be hard to pick them up though. They don't understand our sense of humor?
I don't want to know what airlocking is.  I usually get girls by dropping trou.  Big hogs are as good as emoji bro. Universal language
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

what if it's an action comedy movie?!?!

Obviously hollywood studios factor in global reach in movies.  They also aren't stopping making comedies because someone in China doesn't get the joke.

Oh, and comedy actors are moving to action films because Essence Wang in Shanghai doesn't pay their bills anymore.
Comedy films are a much smaller market when jokes are very regional/language based.

http://qz.com/229648/the-completely-ser … od-comedy/

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/screen-shot-2014-07-02-at-5-00-13-pm-e1404340788194.png?w=640
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I definitely do not need a graph to tell me common sense.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
As i said, they're dying off.

chinese overloards are controlling your movies now ken.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/genres

yep, totally dying off over the last 10 years.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
lol use a 20 year statistics when im only comparing in past 5 years top kek.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

oh my bad, i forgot china has only been around for 5 years and that movie studios have only been globally releasing movies for the same time period.

What the fuck does top kek mean? You use it a lot.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I just finished watching the invitation. it is an indie film that just got released. has a 91% on RT. I give it a 8-9/10 myself. take a look
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Not really sure what you're all on about. I see movies released without fanfare every week. Are you complaining that indie films aren't given the marketing muscle of blockbusters? Because that's absurd. Are you mad that the blockbusters get attention? Those things are self driving. There are enough people in this world terrified of missing out on whatever is currently popular to keep the idea of the blockbuster going forever. We all have friends who are terrified of the "have you seen x?" question and being forced to say no.
what on earth are you fucking going on about?

all we're talking about is how hollywood movies have dropped off. i'm not bemoaning the fact that the world isn't going mad for some cannes-feted iranian director and i'm not complaining about the health of indie cinema. hollywood is just incredibly conservative right now. most films are part of a franchise or some tired formula. we're discussing quite a specific thing. i'm quite happy keeping my tarkovsky chats to impressionable graduate school girls.
Hollywood is still producing the same crap they always have, they're just being conservative with their big budget films. Can you blame them when a movie can cost half a billion to film now?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

half of that is marketing money.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Of course, but it's still bigger than the Mike Stanton contract
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pocshy2.0
+23|3369
Mannnnnn. So the program I have been developing at work got activated today for the first time. The Agreement with the procured firm is not in place yet, so as lead policy analyst guess who gets to man the 1-800 number all weekend? You guessed it--100s of angry citizens calling me asking when they can get assistance from the government. No beers. No living off the grid. Status reports to the ADM (our equivalent of a VP) every 6 hours. They're letting me sleep at 10pm, though...so that's nice.

How's it going, bf2s?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Mannnnnn. So the program I have been developing at work got activated today for the first time. The Agreement with the procured firm is not in place yet, so as lead policy analyst guess who gets to man the 1-800 number all weekend? You guessed it--100s of angry citizens calling me asking when they can get assistance from the government. No beers. No living off the grid. Status reports to the ADM (our equivalent of a VP) every 6 hours. They're letting me sleep at 10pm, though...so that's nice.

How's it going, bf2s?
I'm sorry you have a bad weekend but we are talking about movies now. I am going to need you to post a movie related to what you are experiencing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
When was Hollywood about anything other than making money?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
making a film that is creative and of artistic merit and turning a profit are not mutually exclusive. i know this mindset may seem hard to adopt in a world where we are told that 'if it's popular, it's crap', but really it isn't quite as simple as that. hollywood has to be about making money because, as i said before, film making is a huge and expensive collaborative project. film distribution and reception is a costly apparatus (or at least was before home cinema and the DVD; 'cinema' still is pretty costly). so studios have to make money. they need bank. it's not the same scenario as a novelist sitting down to be the next faulkner vs. writing dan brown pap that will sensationalise and sell.

Last edited by uziq (2016-04-09 06:25:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
French film-making has historically been about breaking even and reinforcing culture, I would guess Soviet film-making was largely about reinforcing culture never mind the profitability.

Hollywood has been exclusively about making money, with the occasional magnum opus of actual merit snuck in past the unsuspecting executives, or bankrolled by someone with money to burn.
uziq
+492|3450
french film making has also been state subsidised, much like small french bookstores, and the result is a lot of intolerable and pretentious pap. they arguably perfected the art of cinema and took it to its highest expression, but their culture – and their populace's attitude to 'culture' – is evidently very different from americans (hell, even from brits and aussies; half the time you are evidence of this philistinism) and their magnificent film culture and achievements came from public subsidy. that's artistic freedom with a social cost: stumping up the money in the first place and being willing to accept that a lot of creative effort necessarily ends in failure or contrived and painfully pretentious attempts. that is more like the patronage that macbeth misrepresented earlier than anything else.

the history of soviet cinema is a little different, but it had an initial period of incredible efflorescence, a small renaissance if you will – across architecture, visual arts, poetry and prose, cinema, all – before becoming strangled by increasing dogmatism and the strictures of 'soviet realism'. you went from the towering genius of eisenstein to minor talents producing movies about men who go to the city only to realise they are in love with the tractor they left back at home in the country.

there was a time when half of the best novelists in america took jobs as writers for hollywood. it wasn't all a cynical and empty cash exercise. i'm not saying it was noble, or that the studios ever aimed to lose money or merely break even, but there are creative and production decisions that can be made to ensure that you're getting quality and not another CGI rehash of a tired comic franchise.

of course this is all depends on an audience that demand quality as a precondition for parting with their cash. the studios hired good writers because there used to be a logic that a quality script would actually make more money and earn more acclaim. that is missing now. which is back to what i was complaining about initially. the audience hoover up any old shit. hollywood doesn't even have to try; hiring good actors or spending money on a quality script is now an extravagance, nothing more.

Last edited by uziq (2016-04-09 06:40:30)

Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3958|SL,UT

hay seuss, t el d are; https://i.imgur.com/jJYg2Et.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Context?
uziq
+492|3450
a bottle of scotch and a sunny day in utah that make a white man lazy
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock
how lazy are we talking?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Mexican lazy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

french film making has also been state subsidised, much like small french bookstores, and the result is a lot of intolerable and pretentious pap. they arguably perfected the art of cinema and took it to its highest expression, but their culture – and their populace's attitude to 'culture' – is evidently very different from americans (hell, even from brits and aussies; half the time you are evidence of this philistinism) and their magnificent film culture and achievements came from public subsidy. that's artistic freedom with a social cost: stumping up the money in the first place and being willing to accept that a lot of creative effort necessarily ends in failure or contrived and painfully pretentious attempts. that is more like the patronage that macbeth misrepresented earlier than anything else.

the history of soviet cinema is a little different, but it had an initial period of incredible efflorescence, a small renaissance if you will – across architecture, visual arts, poetry and prose, cinema, all – before becoming strangled by increasing dogmatism and the strictures of 'soviet realism'. you went from the towering genius of eisenstein to minor talents producing movies about men who go to the city only to realise they are in love with the tractor they left back at home in the country.

there was a time when half of the best novelists in america took jobs as writers for hollywood. it wasn't all a cynical and empty cash exercise. i'm not saying it was noble, or that the studios ever aimed to lose money or merely break even, but there are creative and production decisions that can be made to ensure that you're getting quality and not another CGI rehash of a tired comic franchise.

of course this is all depends on an audience that demand quality as a precondition for parting with their cash. the studios hired good writers because there used to be a logic that a quality script would actually make more money and earn more acclaim. that is missing now. which is back to what i was complaining about initially. the audience hoover up any old shit. hollywood doesn't even have to try; hiring good actors or spending money on a quality script is now an extravagance, nothing more.
I like the subtexts in some of the Marvel and DC stuff, its not all complete rubbish.
uziq
+492|3450
I'm not sure you can call things that obvious subtexts. more just like texts.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
If it's Marvel and DC, they're probably supertexts...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard