uziq
+492|3462

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

One where I busted my ass through school and continuously improve my skillset and education. I don't feel sorry for people who coast. Don't expect sympathy from me.
you took government handout money, hardly 'busting your ass off' to get where you are.

i always find your attitude one of the most troubling - it's the complacency and lack of self-honesty. it's so venal and sordid, the way people like you take advantage of every public funding scheme and big government policy there is going, and then wish to pull the ladder up after you, or else yank it from beneath someone else's feet. you are a narrow and limited egotist; the "all my success comes from my virtues, everyone else deserves their failures" school of thinking.
I took government handout money? I volunteered to serve in my country's military. What the hell have you ever done for anyone but yourself?
yeah okay jay, you joined the military out of honour and altruism, to 'help other people'. who did you functionally help? this egotistical revisionism would almost be plausible if it weren't for the fact you've openly said here before, in a more candid mood, that you joined the military because you were a directionless drop-out by the time you got to your mid-20's. the get-rich-quick scheme of being an IT drone didn't work for you, and your parents were obviously sick of having you hanging around the house. so you joined the military, to get on the biggest organised work-and-welfare scheme in the western world, and acquire some discipline. that's not exactly a bad or silly choice, but stop making out you're a self-made ur-libertarian or some echt-galt on a triumphal lap of the race of life.

Last edited by uziq (2015-10-12 15:50:45)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

you took government handout money, hardly 'busting your ass off' to get where you are.

i always find your attitude one of the most troubling - it's the complacency and lack of self-honesty. it's so venal and sordid, the way people like you take advantage of every public funding scheme and big government policy there is going, and then wish to pull the ladder up after you, or else yank it from beneath someone else's feet. you are a narrow and limited egotist; the "all my success comes from my virtues, everyone else deserves their failures" school of thinking.
I took government handout money? I volunteered to serve in my country's military. What the hell have you ever done for anyone but yourself?
yeah okay jay, you joined the military out of honour and altruism, to 'help other people'. who did you functionally help? this egotistical revisionism would almost be plausible if it weren't for the fact you've openly said here before, in a more candid mood, that you joined the military because you were a directionless drop-out by the time you got to your mid-20's. the get-rich-quick scheme of being an IT drone didn't work for you, and your parents were obviously sick of having you hanging around the house. so you joined the military, to get on the biggest organised work-and-welfare scheme in the western world, and acquire some discipline. that's not exactly a bad or silly choice, but stop making out you're a self-made ur-libertarian or some echt-galt on a triumphal lap of the race of life.
Blah blah blah
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3462
same thing always with you. you worked hard and earned everything you have. you didn't join the military out of self-interest or take grants because they were merely convenient. it was all serving a higher, noble purpose. you were practically being heroic. oh and everyone else deserves their lot. you take no pity on anyone who doesn't improve themselves through self-reliance and initiative. lol.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

same thing always with you. you worked hard and earned everything you have. you didn't join the military out of self-interest or take grants because they were merely convenient. it was all serving a higher, noble purpose. you were practically being heroic. oh and everyone else deserves their lot. you take no pity on anyone who doesn't improve themselves through self-reliance and initiative. lol.
I was raised to be a soldier. I grew up on war stories, I wore my father's and grandfather's medals on my jacket. I played army in the woods near my house, pretending to defend my hometown from a Soviet invasion. I wore camouflage for nearly every Halloween. I was that kid, probably more like war man or sh1fty than not. When I was in middle school I was bullied because even though i was bigger than nearly everyone, I didn't know how to fight and so I would refuse. I'd get called a pussy or a coward. It stuck with me. When I was in high school I played football, I wrestled and I played lacrosse so I could show how tough I really was. I played through broken bones and concussions. So, when I dropped out of college after 1.5 semesters it was naturally the next step in my quest to prove that I wasn't, in fact, a coward. I had other justifications, college money, learning a career, but the real reason wasn't rational, it was naked insecurity. The rest of it? I didn't know the first thing about politics when I left high school. I was a jock. Republicans were angry old men and Democrats were the good guys. I voted for Gore. Rational self-interest never involved itself in my decision to join the military, only in my backwards looking revisionism after the fact.

So there you go. I served my country, I defended my family, and I didn't run in combat. What have you done?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Well doesn't that just paint a warm, fuzzy picture of a poor, badgered kid coming into his own with the help of military welfare culture. What it doesn't paint is why exactly you think people who lose their livelihoods have only themselves to blame. Or why your very specific little case study is an all-encompassing template that applies to absolutely everyone else's situation. Or why you brought up "income pyramids" to dismiss the absurd rate of childhood poverty in the states.

Please invent a time machine, go back into the past, and convince kid you to succeed without any outside help. Until then, would you please stop blathering on about how superior you think you are?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6727
suvivorship bias
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

You will always have those people who on some level are able and willing to work but won't have the intelligence, vision, or, resources to advance themselves. Do you feel the US should preserve jobs for Americans vs allowing US based corps to use offshoring with no sort of penalty/consequence?
There's no way, short of making it illegal to fire workers, to prevent jobs than can, from going overseas. The whole argument is irrational. "They took ur jerbs" well maybe you should've paid attention in school and you might not be replaceable by a robot or an impoverished person with a 4th grade education.

Besides, new jobs are created every day.
Says the guy who lived on workfare for how long, not that America has created any new jobs in the last ten years.
Boohoo. If you're so bad at your job that you can be replaced by someone on the other side of the world you deserve to lose it.
If a Malaysian company wants to build a factory or buy machinery the govt pays half - how do you suggest competing with that?

Chinese companies are given free land, free money, almost free labour and free intel on their Western competitors secrets - Suggestions?

Should our governments be assisting corporations in moving jobs to these places when their governments are assisting their companies to take these jobs? They understand that having industries and jobs is important to economies, as we follow retarded theories which say they don't matter.
They must laugh their asses off that dumbos like you believe in this.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-10-13 02:09:58)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

I was raised to be a soldier. I grew up on war stories, I wore my father's and grandfather's medals on my jacket. I played army in the woods near my house, pretending to defend my hometown from a Soviet invasion. I wore camouflage for nearly every Halloween. I was that kid, probably more like war man or sh1fty than not. When I was in middle school I was bullied because even though i was bigger than nearly everyone, I didn't know how to fight and so I would refuse. I'd get called a pussy or a coward. It stuck with me. When I was in high school I played football, I wrestled and I played lacrosse so I could show how tough I really was. I played through broken bones and concussions. So, when I dropped out of college after 1.5 semesters it was naturally the next step in my quest to prove that I wasn't, in fact, a coward. I had other justifications, college money, learning a career, but the real reason wasn't rational, it was naked insecurity. The rest of it? I didn't know the first thing about politics when I left high school. I was a jock. Republicans were angry old men and Democrats were the good guys. I voted for Gore. Rational self-interest never involved itself in my decision to join the military, only in my backwards looking revisionism after the fact.

So there you go. I served my country, I defended my family, and I didn't run in combat. What have you done?
LOL OK, your delusions are becoming more and more grandiose.

Why did you really drop out of college and join the Army Jay?
If you'd been brave you could have simply walked into a bank and negotiated a loan to pay for college. What was scary about that?
You joined a rear echelon signals unit IIRC, not a frontline combat unit, this new explanation doesn't really fly. You didn't serve anyone or defend anything, the US military is used to recycle tax money and advance America's economic interests and you know it perfectly well.

Are you the same Jay Galt who disobeyed a direct order from an officer and ran away as soon as the siren went off? That's what you wrote in your memoir.

Are you the same Jay Galt who used personal contacts and dropped hints about his military career to get his first job, and then left as soon as better pay was offered elsewhere?

I think you're trying to re-rationalise your last re-rationalisation, which post-dates the one before, your ideology and recollection is plastic and moulded to suit whatever circumstance you're in, and remoulded to suit whatever circumstance you were in in the past.
The sooner you get to grips with your own psychology the better IMO, I mean this honestly.
In the meantime pissing on people who don't measure up to your own invented stellar history doesn't make for a good look.

Since you ask, what have I done?

I got through one of the hardest 'proper' engineering courses in the world and graduated age 20, looking back there was a huge difference between me at 18 and 25, at 25 it would have been a doddle, as a depressed teenager (without even a single kilo of cocaine to my name) it was pretty hard. Mine was the final year for which it was a three-year course, thereafter it was four years with an essentially unchanged syllabus. I didn't do it the modern way, 2-3 subjects per semester. I did 9-10 subjects a year with all the exams crammed into 10 days - invariably hay-fever time. What did you achieve age 20 Jay?

Age 21 I was shooting for my region, age 24 I was shooting for England, 25 I was on the British Olympic squad. Shooting is basically a nerve sport - lapses show up clearly. It isn't actually difficult, anyone can do it with minimal effort, not everyone will manage even minimal application or can hold their nerve under pressure.

You want a military background? My grandfather was evacuated from Dunkirk, was a Desert Rat, fought through Italy and finished the war a Lt-Colonel. My father accompanied the SAS on anti-terrorist raids and did tours triple the length of the military he was working with. After one post his house really was mortared, various colleagues were shot by the IRA, I had a childhood of checking the car for bombs. I came close to doing something stupid like joining the Paras after university, my father convinced me not to. I did join the TAVR to do something positive, it was so fucked up I was out after six months - having never even been properly inducted. (It was an Engineers regiment, you know the guys who go ahead of the combat troops, shame it didn't work out)

That and working in four different industries, paying my parents living costs for 10 years and dealing with a ton of nasty shit to boot, I don't feel too bad, and think I measure up even to your imagined track record well enough.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-10-13 02:46:25)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Well doesn't that just paint a warm, fuzzy picture of a poor, badgered kid coming into his own with the help of military welfare culture. What it doesn't paint is why exactly you think people who lose their livelihoods have only themselves to blame. Or why your very specific little case study is an all-encompassing template that applies to absolutely everyone else's situation. Or why you brought up "income pyramids" to dismiss the absurd rate of childhood poverty in the states.

Please invent a time machine, go back into the past, and convince kid you to succeed without any outside help. Until then, would you please stop blathering on about how superior you think you are?
Because income is pyramidal, the fat portion is at the bottom. If you arbitrarily choose 60% of the median, you will get the thicker part of the base. It's a statistic that favors nations with punitive tax rates on anyone making above the median.

The median in this country is $50k, 60% of 50 is 30. $30k in the south or midwest is middle classish. $30k in new York or California is poor. So unless you're accounting for cost of living, you're not painting a realistic picture are you? Maybe the article was meant to tug at your heartstrings rather than engage your mind?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

LOL OK, your delusions are becoming more and more grandiose.

Why did you really drop out of college and join the Army Jay?
If you'd been brave you could have simply walked into a bank and negotiated a loan to pay for college. What was scary about that?
You joined a rear echelon signals unit IIRC, not a frontline combat unit, this new explanation doesn't really fly. You didn't serve anyone or defend anything, the US military is used to recycle tax money and advance America's economic interests and you know it perfectly well.

Are you the same Jay Galt who disobeyed a direct order from an officer and ran away as soon as the siren went off? That's what you wrote in your memoir.

Are you the same Jay Galt who used personal contacts and dropped hints about his military career to get his first job, and then left as soon as better pay was offered elsewhere?

I think you're trying to re-rationalise your last re-rationalisation, which post-dates the one before, your ideology and recollection is plastic and moulded to suit whatever circumstance you're in, and remoulded to suit whatever circumstance you were in in the past.
The sooner you get to grips with your own psychology the better IMO, I mean this honestly.
In the meantime pissing on people who don't measure up to your own invented stellar history doesn't make for a good look.

Since you ask, what have I done?

I got through one of the hardest 'proper' engineering courses in the world and graduated age 20, looking back there was a huge difference between me at 18 and 25, at 25 it would have been a doddle, as a depressed teenager (without even a single kilo of cocaine to my name) it was pretty hard. Mine was the final year for which it was a three-year course, thereafter it was four years with an essentially unchanged syllabus. I didn't do it the modern way, 2-3 subjects per semester. I did 9-10 subjects a year with all the exams crammed into 10 days - invariably hay-fever time. What did you achieve age 20 Jay?

Age 21 I was shooting for my region, age 24 I was shooting for England, 25 I was on the British Olympic squad. Shooting is basically a nerve sport - lapses show up clearly. It isn't actually difficult, anyone can do it with minimal effort, not everyone will manage even minimal application or can hold their nerve under pressure.

You want a military background? My grandfather was evacuated from Dunkirk, was a Desert Rat, fought through Italy and finished the war a Lt-Colonel. My father accompanied the SAS on anti-terrorist raids and did tours triple the length of the military he was working with. After one post his house really was mortared, various colleagues were shot by the IRA, I had a childhood of checking the car for bombs. I came close to doing something stupid like joining the Paras after university, my father convinced me not to. I did join the TAVR to do something positive, it was so fucked up I was out after six months - having never even been properly inducted. (It was an Engineers regiment, you know the guys who go ahead of the combat troops, shame it didn't work out)

That and working in four different industries, paying my parents living costs for 10 years and dealing with a ton of nasty shit to boot, I don't feel too bad, and think I measure up even to your imagined track record well enough.
I did my engineering degree in 3 years. 158 credits, 3 years. 20-21 credits per semester (5-7 courses), a winter course every break, four courses every summer. Not impressed.

My Swedish grandfather was drafted, served through north Africa, Italy and czechoslovakia with the 69th Infantry Division as a medic. My German grandfather volunteered, served on Patton's staff as an interpreter, and was promoted to Major so he could help prosecute Nazi at Nuremberg. My father was a Ranger in Vietnam. He was a troubled teenager who ran away from home at 16, got dragged back hy his father and had a recruiter falsify his birth certificate so he could volunteer. Ended up with two purple hearts and a bronze star.

I was rear echelon, yes, in a normal war. There was no rear in Iraq, except maybe down by Basra where the Brits were. Getting talked out of going infantry is one of my only regrets. Alas. I still daydream about going back in as an infantry officer if my marriage craters, but I'm getting a bit old now.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about your life, you're just some weird guy who needs attention, my post was directed at uzi.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3730
Both of my grandfather's were Korea veterans. I guess you can say my family has been engaging Asians for some time now.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6695|United States of America
The fuck is going on in here? Take it to the self-inflated autobiography thread.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

So how about that Toys R' Us and other companies taking advantage of the H1B visa program to offshore labor?  I heard that's pretty fucked up.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Yeah, I remember something about that. I think it got lost somewhere in Jay tearfully holding his right hand over his heart and waxing nostalgic for his troubled past while kicking homeless, jobless people in the shins and accusing articles about poverty of tugging at our vulnerable heartstrings.

Earlier this year...

Isn't H1B also kind of the US Chamber of Commerce's darling atm?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3730
Sorry to derail the thread but I just wanted to sincerely thank Jay for his service. If it wasn't for him and people like him, I would not be able to get my USAA automotive insurance. I don't pay it, my dad does, but it is apparently really cheap. And for that I am grateful.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3462
i am really glad for the iraq+afghan wars. they have provided a backdrop to our time here on bf2s wherein many confused american males can work out their manifold conflicts and hypocrisies about masculinity, heroism, public service etc. all wholesomely mistaking being grist for the military-industrial mill with some misguided 18th century notion of valour or service or some shit. no wonder so many of you emasculated lunatics started playing bf2.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

i like to lock step and click two heels as I reminisce about my war hero relatives.  It really does give me a sense of purpose.  My Anglo-German Grandfather did something or other (did I mention he was Anglo-German) in the Navy and fought in like 3 wars and a military conflict (I'm looking at you, Korea).  My Italian Grandfather lived the American Dream.  Came to the US as an (Italian!!!!) immigrant in the early 1900's, was discriminated against like ATG calls out Mexicans today, managed to pull himself up by the bootstraps and work for the railroad while raising 7 children before going off and fighting in the trenches in WW2.  And by trenches I mean he was a cook in the Army, and I'm not sure if he even went overseas.  I salute you, Anglo-German and Italian Grandfathers. Guten tag and Arrivederci!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6727

uziq wrote:

i am really glad for the iraq+afghan wars. they have provided a backdrop to our time here on bf2s wherein many confused american males can work out their manifold conflicts and hypocrisies about masculinity, heroism, public service etc. all wholesomely mistaking being grist for the military-industrial mill with some misguided 18th century notion of valour or service or some shit. no wonder so many of you emasculated lunatics started playing bf2.
you should write a phd on forum posts in a post 9/11 world.

NAME DROP TIME

my great grand daddy died from 'leukaemia' aka radiation poisoning coz he was stationed in hiroshima for the allied occupation force. he's buried in yokohama in japan so imah visit that grave when i go to nip land.

grand dad signed up when he was 18 and finished boot camp a month before the nukes dropped. guess he didn't have to go invade.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3462
my grandad fucked a whole lot of women and ate fois gras as he sent your pathetic relatives to die for him and his pals. they thought it would be funny.

p.s. engineering isn't even a real degree
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I was rear echelon, yes, in a normal war. There was no rear in Iraq, except maybe down by Basra where the Brits were. Getting talked out of going infantry is one of my only regrets. Alas. I still daydream about going back in as an infantry officer if my marriage craters, but I'm getting a bit old now.
Come now Jay, serving on the 'front line' in Iraq, which you didn't, was less dangerous than living in LA.
The one time you faced combat you ran away, according to your own account.

Jay wrote:

If any job had presented an offer to pay for four years of college I would've taken it. It just so happened that the military was offering such a deal.
Has become.

Jay wrote:

I was raised to be a soldier. I grew up on war stories, I wore my father's and grandfather's medals on my jacket. I played army in the woods near my house, pretending to defend my hometown from a Soviet invasion. I wore camouflage for nearly every Halloween. .. So, when I dropped out of college after 1.5 semesters it was naturally the next step in my quest to prove that I wasn't, in fact, a coward.
OK Jay, whatever you say.

you're just some weird guy who needs attention
No U

Honestly, I suggest you get a grip on whatever this is before you instil in your son these 'Jay Galt the Self-Made Man and War Hero' stories and he'll have to endure the cycle repeating.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-10-14 03:40:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So how about that Toys R' Us and other companies taking advantage of the H1B visa program to offshore labor?  I heard that's pretty fucked up.

Dilbert_X wrote:

If a Malaysian company wants to build a factory or buy machinery the govt pays half - how do you suggest competing with that?

Chinese companies are given free land, free money, almost free labour and free intel on their Western competitors secrets - Suggestions?

Should our governments be assisting corporations in moving jobs to these places when their governments are assisting their companies to take these jobs? They understand that having industries and jobs is important to economies, as we follow retarded theories which say they don't matter.
I don't understand Jay, in one breath he says he signed up to 'defend America' to his last breath, in the next he says its OK to ship jobs and wealth and know-how to the country the US lost two proxy wars against  (except the Chinese weren't dumb enough to do much fighting themselves.) and which is waging and winning an economic war.

There's always someone who profits from a real war, the same people are profiting from this economic war - skimming off their 10% as the foot-soldiers fight and die.
In both cases they brainwash the grunts to believe they're doing the right thing ideologically speaking - when they get the bullet in the chest or the redundancy notice its too late.

Jay's been brainwashed twice now - or is it once and he never learned?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-10-14 03:46:51)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I don't understand Jay, in one breath he says he signed up to 'defend America' to his last breath, in the next he says its OK to ship jobs and wealth and know-how to the country the US lost two proxy wars against  (except the Chinese weren't dumb enough to do much fighting themselves.) and which is waging and winning an economic war.

There's always someone who profits from a real war, the same people are profiting from this economic war - skimming off their 10% as the foot-soldiers fight and die.
In both cases they brainwash the grunts to believe they're doing the right thing ideologically speaking - when they get the bullet in the chest or the redundancy notice its too late.

Jay's been brainwashed twice now - or is it once and he never learned?
Ahh, I'm finally putting 2+2 together. You care because it's your own industry being impacted. You're scared you're going to lose your job to cheaper labor. I was wondering why you were being so passionate. Rational self-interest trumps all.

Your country is doing the exact same thing, in reverse. Instead of subsidies you have super high tariffs. Instead of bitching about Malaysian subsidies, you should be lobbying your government to ditch the tariffs. Sure, you'll have to lower prices and take a pay cut but it's better than being wiped out completely, which is going to happen if you continue on.

Or, you could produce higher quality goods to justify the labor costs. Tough to do in a commodities industry though. I assume you work for Holden or some such. Well, MEP firms are generally always hiring. Brush up on your fluids and heat transfer.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3462
become a literary editor the machines and aliens will never replace you and women will want to accompany you to dinner.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
How's the pay?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard