SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
he head of a US pharmaceutical company has defended his company's decision to raise the price of a 62-year-old medication used by Aids patients by over 5,000%.

Turing Pharmaceuticals acquired the rights to Daraprim in August.
CEO Martin Shkreli has said that the company will use the money it makes from sales to research new treatments.
The drug treats toxoplasmosis, a parasitic affliction that affects people with compromised immune systems.

After Turing's acquisition, a dose of Daraprim in the US increased from $13.50 (£8.70) to $750.

The pill costs about $1 to produce, but Mr Shkreli, a former hedge fund manager, said that does not include other costs like marketing and distribution, which have increased dramatically in recent years.

"We needed to turn a profit on this drug," Mr Shkreli told Bloomberg TV. "The companies before us were actually giving it away almost."
Dr Wendy Armstrong of HIV Medicine Association also disputed the need to develop new treatments for toxoplasmosis.
"This is not an infection where we have been looking for more effective drugs," she told Infectious Disease News.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34320413

This is horrible. The drug is over 60 years old. There is no reason for this price to increase. I hope an AIDS patient finds this man and shoots him in a public place. Hedge fund managers and other vulture capitalist will eventually tone down their behavior if multiple ones of them were assassinated publicly. The time for peaceful protesting is past.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Obamacare will save us.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
This is the problem with extending patents and copyrights indefinitely. 10 years was and is more than enough time.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
If I stole $100k from a bank I'd be sent to prison. The money was insured anyway.

This guy steals millions from people at risk from dying and it's just seen as business. World is fucked up.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

that why some men just want to watch the world burn
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
Yeesh. Somebody needs to slit this guys throat
Pocshy2.0
+23|3363
Meh, might be a good thing. Will attract government attention and the potential for improved regulation.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
kill him anyway
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Meh, might be a good thing. Will attract government attention and the potential for improved regulation.
But the government caused the problem in the first place...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pocshy2.0
+23|3363

Jay wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Those ellipses are to emphasize sarcasm?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
oooh, free enterprise and enlightened self interest right there. enjoy your capitalism while it lasts.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria
I bet if he had acquired the rights to an Ebola treatment, he would have increased the price by 5,000,000,000%.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

At the behest of and paid for by corporations no?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Of course. They didn't HAVE to write legislation that extended patents and trademarks. They chose to in exchange for that sweet sweet cash.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711

Jay wrote:

This is the problem with extending patents and copyrights indefinitely. 10 years was and is more than enough time.
Maybe for pharmaceuticals. Otherwise, is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
During your lifetime? Sure. Write a book? You should be the sole benefactor during your lifetime. Afterwards? Public domain. If it's a corporation like Disney where they've developed characters intrinsic to their business? Sure.

I have a problem with patents and trademarks being sold. I have a problem with Marvin Gaye's kids collecting millions for a song they didn't write. I have a problem with patent trolls buying up patents for products they have no intention of ever building and suing people for infringement. I have a problem with this guy holding a monopoly on a drug that was developed decades before he was born and claiming he needs to raise the price to cover R&D costs. Please.
-Frederick Bastiat
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

at least now with happy birthday no longer copyrighted we can see relief from needing to endure shitty birthdays songs from restaurants.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I did a bit of reading up on this and it turns out there isn't even a patent on the drug anymore. The guy just bought the last group that was producing it and decided to raise the price. Otherwise anyone can make it. So patents aren't really to blame here.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Jay wrote:

During your lifetime? Sure. Write a book? You should be the sole benefactor during your lifetime. Afterwards? Public domain. If it's a corporation like Disney where they've developed characters intrinsic to their business? Sure.

I have a problem with patents and trademarks being sold. I have a problem with Marvin Gaye's kids collecting millions for a song they didn't write. I have a problem with patent trolls buying up patents for products they have no intention of ever building and suing people for infringement. I have a problem with this guy holding a monopoly on a drug that was developed decades before he was born and claiming he needs to raise the price to cover R&D costs. Please.
Most Pharmas spend more on advertising than R&D.  The "R&D is so expensive, that's why drugs that are made to treat symptoms instead of cure diseases are so expensive" is a misconception the public eats up.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14345/imrs.php.png

from here (see how easy it is to link articles Macbeth?).

You can put blame on the government for kowtowing to corporate interests, sure.  But without lobbying from corporate interests, there would be no problem.  It's easier to change the structure of the government (maybe) than the mindset of people who lobby government, but to put the blame solely on the government is deceitful, in my opinion.  Or willfully ignorant.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Most Pharmas spend more on advertising than R&D.  The "R&D is so expensive, that's why drugs that are made to treat symptoms instead of cure diseases are so expensive" is a misconception the public eats up.

from here (see how easy it is to link articles Macbeth?).

You can put blame on the government for kowtowing to corporate interests, sure.  But without lobbying from corporate interests, there would be no problem.  It's easier to change the structure of the government (maybe) than the mindset of people who lobby government, but to put the blame solely on the government is deceitful, in my opinion.  Or willfully ignorant.
I just want to point out that the sales and marketing budgets for those groups are so large because they make and sell things out than just happy pills.

Johnson and Johnson makes

And band-aids, Q tips, etc.

I still agree with your larger point though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
The corporate HQ of Merck is near me. I see the CEO fly into work and leave in his helicopter everyday. He has a normal 9-5 schedule. Good for him.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
Aww, my company isn't on there. Let's get make it to the big time, folks!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

J&J spent $6.2billion (~75% of total advertising budget) in R&D for their prescription BU.  The only semi-reputable source I can find that breaks out the marketing in regards to prescriptions as opposed to consumer products has about 50%-75% of total ad budgets going to happy pills.  The article mentions almost $24billion of that marketing budget was directly to healthcare professionals.  I think it's safe to make the assumption that if 25% of the TOTAL marketing budget is going to direct marketing to healthcare professionals, at least 50% of the total budget is related to pills.  In other words, it looks like it's pretty proportionally in line.

Pharma companies are in the top 3 for highest profit margins in the world (and that takes into account R&D AND marketing).  The "they need to recoup their R&D costs" is simply not true.  They are some of the worst companies in the world, ethics wise.  I don't really understand how any one with a north pointing moral compass can go to bat for them.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Of course. They didn't HAVE to write legislation that extended patents and trademarks. They chose to in exchange for that sweet sweet cash.
Well isn't the capitalist free market just great at delivering results.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well isn't the capitalist free market just great at delivering results.
What does this have to do with free markets? The market isn't free, it's one of the most heavily regulated in the world
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard