DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Where ever you've written BB, all I read is bristleback.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It took Breaking Bad until it's 3rd season to really hit it's stride. Sopranos was a pop culture phenomenon from Season 1. Sopranos was also a lot more popular with reviewers from the start. At Rotten Tomtoes, Sopranos Season 1 has a 100% score from Top critics as opposed to BB's 78%
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the-sopranos/s01/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/breaking-bad/s01/

So Sopranos was objectively more critically acclaimed. It was so because Sopranos is a more difficult show to understand. Breaking bad was an easy show. It was on basic cable and had coke commercials in between. It was castrated from the start by being on a T.V. channel that needed to appease advertisers. The Sopranos was allowed to do its own thing and experiment in a way that wouldn't fly on a channel that needed X amount of viewers to sell commercial time. Soprano's was so complex that you had to watch an episode a second time to understand something or pick up on references/symbolism. It was not an easy show meant to appeal to 16 year olds who parents were okay with them watching something on A&E because 'it's basic cable, it won't be graphic''. Sopranos was targeting a higher brow and older audience from the start. It was show about a middle aged mob boss and father who was dealing with the anxiety of aging and managing a family. BB was about a school teacher and slacker student who got together to sell drugs. The premise is juvenile and was why it took 3 seasons for the show to start going anywhere.

And even if BB was a better thing to watch, Sopranos will go down in history as a ground breaking show. There was nothing like it on T.V. at the time. It ushered in dark drama television shows. Your Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, True Detective, etc. all owe Sopranos for setting the stage for society to accept dark gritty shows were violence and nudity were front and center. Also, Breaking Bad's "middle aged man struggling against society" mainframe was a t.v. drama path that was paved and perfected by Sopranos better for it. Skyler was a less complex Carmela Soprano. etc.
Nope
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
the sopranos was full of freud and camus jokes and tackled things like america coming to terms with 9/11.

breaking bad didn't settle into its eventually acclaimed tone until the later seasons, macb is totally right. the early seasons are weirdly irreverent and it's like the writers are trying on a bunch of slippers to see which fits. breaking bad's cast was also much smaller and more limited, not only in talent and range, but in terms of psychological development. coming off the back of encyclopaedic casts like the wire and the sops, the first 2 seasons of breaking bad felt really claustrophobic and tedious to me. i was sick of the same few generic characters struggling to find their dramatic arc (they did eventually, but as macb rightly points out, it took them a while, and it's almost like the late style of breaking bad owes a lot to the 'adult' HBO dramas anyway).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Better action scenes

Better acting

Great cast

Basically any scene with Chris M is A+

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-08-18 16:01:43)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
I really liked Sopranos after it was finished. Friend had the box set and I watched it through. Terrific.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I never watched The Sopranos but didn't walk away from Breaking Bad that it was the best thing ever. Boardwalk Empire would have my vote for that sort of criminal enterprise type of show, at present, anyway. That had a great buildup and release of tension every season.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I watched every season of BE. I really liked it but the last season felt rushed. The creator said he could explain the full story of Nucky in 7 seasons. HBO gave them only 5. So it is understandable that they rushed it at the end.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

I never watched The Sopranos but didn't walk away from Breaking Bad that it was the best thing ever. Boardwalk Empire would have my vote for that sort of criminal enterprise type of show, at present, anyway. That had a great buildup and release of tension every season.
I stopped liking it after they Spoiler (highlight to read):
killed off Darmedy. I watched it til the end but it just became boring and predictable. Tossing in a sociopath villain was just trite.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I had to make an account for something. They had 3 security questions.

All of the questions are normal "where did you go to school" "who was your best friend" except they have one question that is "Where were you when you heard about 9/11"

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-08-18 19:54:36)

tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

"home"

congrats you just unlocked how many accounts?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TSF7k8eyZhQ/VV5HGx89JHI/AAAAAAAAAF4/mHmH5K8vgzw/s1600/Beutler_Google_passwords-v6.png

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co … s-for.html
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
the same issue lies with passwords.

thecatinthehatismyfavoritebookever

is WAY more secure than

C@t1inth3h@t

and way easier to remember but almost all sites make you add a capital/symbol/etc.

Last edited by pirana6 (2015-08-19 10:32:22)

The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
The reason I dont join in with these TV chats is because Im shit.  I watched a little bit of Game of Thrones before it vanished off my Now TV, Im so far behind its like being backwards
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

1927 wrote:

The reason I dont join in with these TV chats is because Im shit.  I watched a little bit of Game of Thrones before it vanished off my Now TV, Im so far behind its like being backwards
At least you watch sports. I can't stand any non-combat sports. So whenever people start talking about football or baseball or something I just stay quiet and politely listen while telling myself "at least I know who the U.N. Secretary is. That's useful. I'm useful".
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I've been watching Secret Eaters, kinda amusing. Fat logic is great
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341

SuperJail Warden wrote:

1927 wrote:

At least you watch sports. I can't stand any non-combat sports. So whenever people start talking about football or baseball or something I just stay quiet and politely listen while telling myself "at least I know who the U.N. Secretary is. That's useful. I'm useful".
I sometimes think along the same lines. If those guys who can spout 30 different statistics for every player on every baseball team in the division could just spend even half that amount of time on something useful, they would all hold higher degrees. And don't say they don't have the analytical capacity-- often they come up with scenarios and tactics so complex I don't even know if they're talking about sports anymore.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

1927 wrote:

I sometimes think along the same lines. If those guys who can spout 30 different statistics for every player on every baseball team in the division could just spend even half that amount of time on something useful, they would all hold higher degrees. And don't say they don't have the analytical capacity-- often they come up with scenarios and tactics so complex I don't even know if they're talking about sports anymore.
Nom Chomsky actually said that the average American obviously isn't stupid using sports as his argument. The quote was something along the lines of "The average American isn't stupid. They just put value on different things than other peoples. The average American sports fan's ability to remember statistics and records proves that they have the ability to remember and understand any other subject if they put their minds to it."
uziq
+492|3422
half of the challenge with intellectual stuff is concentration and discipline so i don't buy those pandering and populist arguments. people memorise football statistics because it's a spectacle and a social rite. knuckling down and memorising enough to pass an LSAT exam or to get into problems in non-euclidean geometry is hard partly because it's so impenetrable and boring and has no ritualistic social value.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341
Yeah, I mean, I get your point Uzique, but even if they could find a single subject they take an interest in. There are lots of subjects that I think would appeal to a large portion of the population (History, Sociology, Criminology, Literature come to mind). And you have to remember, some of the shit these guys remember is entirely tedious and nearly worthless in terms of ritualistic social value (nobody cares what the win percentages between the Yankees and Blue Jays are in home games played after 4pm). The ritualistic social value side of things is also something that exists in certain segments of society. I know lots of friends who pride themselves (and are valued and admired by their peers) for being able to solve obscure math problems and proofs.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Nom Chomsky actually said that the average American obviously isn't stupid using sports as his argument. The quote was something along the lines of "The average American isn't stupid. They just put value on different things than other peoples. The average American sports fan's ability to remember statistics and records proves that they have the ability to remember and understand any other subject if they put their minds to it."
Demonstrating ability doesn't do much if you just utterly waste it, though, does it? I know loads of trivia that's almost as useless as any sports facts, but that's just because I have a decent memory and not any measure of intelligence. Regardless, that argument sounds like those idiot parents of "indigo children": Americans aren't stupid, they just think special. Sureeeeee...
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341
In all of this you have to remember it won't happen. No sports guru is ever going to have a change of heart and study theoretical physics because they realize they have the potential. They've found their interest and I expect they'll stick with it. My simple point is that the intellect required to do some of the analysis and interpretation (and memorization) involved in being that level of fan mirrors a lot of what it takes to be successful in academia. They clearly can memorize boring shit (to me) and turn it into a detailed analysis of the game. I just find that interesting.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

half of the challenge with intellectual stuff is concentration and discipline so i don't buy those pandering and populist arguments. people memorise football statistics because it's a spectacle and a social rite. knuckling down and memorising enough to pass an LSAT exam or to get into problems in non-euclidean geometry is hard partly because it's so impenetrable and boring and has no ritualistic social value.
It all comes down to social value. Sports are cool, math is not. No one bullshits about calculus at the water cooler. There's no MathCenter making stupid jokes over highlight reel footage of a savant standing in front of a blackboard.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I get your point Uzique, but even if they could find a single subject they take an interest in. There are lots of subjects that I think would appeal to a large portion of the population (History, Sociology, Criminology, Literature come to mind). And you have to remember, some of the shit these guys remember is entirely tedious and nearly worthless in terms of ritualistic social value (nobody cares what the win percentages between the Yankees and Blue Jays are in home games played after 4pm). The ritualistic social value side of things is also something that exists in certain segments of society. I know lots of friends who pride themselves (and are valued and admired by their peers) for being able to solve obscure math problems and proofs.
Most people grow up playing sports so it's something easily relatable akin to "how's the weather?" Universal experience.
-Frederick Bastiat
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341
Well Jay, I think we need to really teach these fools how to fish and instill them with good social values and work ethic that gives them a place at the watering hole. I'm not talking Christian, Muslim, or Jewish values, but American values. The kind of values we can all get behind and be proud of. I want every math student to walk into ESPN with their heads held high, and then for ESPN to rebrand themselves as the all mathletes sports channel. Between competition we need to bring back ashy Nat Geo titties.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Well Jay, I think we need to really teach these fools how to fish and instill them with good social values and work ethic that gives them a place at the watering hole. I'm not talking Christian, Muslim, or Jewish values, but American values. The kind of values we can all get behind and be proud of. I want every math student to walk into ESPN with their heads held high, and then for ESPN to rebrand themselves as the all mathletes sports channel. Between competition we need to bring back ashy Nat Geo titties.
I work at an engineering firm with a bunch of nerds and we still bullshit about sports at the lunch table. The Jamaicans and other British Empire folks talk about cricket and soccer and formula 1, the Americans talk about football and baseball. Personally, while I like playing football, I find NFL games to be incredibly boring. I watch all the Giants games anyway, even though I usually end up taking a nap during the second half.

I'm sure you could find a group of friends that prefers the theater or opera to sports, but you might have to suck a dick or two to fit in

As for what Macbeth said about Americans generally being smarter than they're given credit for, I think it's true. We just have a very utilitarian culture that tends to ignore what's not immediately useful. Why learn how to garden if you live in an apartment? Why learn to play music if it doesn't get you laid or make you rich? Why become a mathematician if the jobs you'll end up with aren't interesting to you? It doesn't mean that they're stupid people, most of them are pretty good at their jobs.

So while I agree with your premise that it would be nice if more people strove to become polymaths, you might as well wish water weren't wet.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
and college basketball
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard